HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Kebekoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
...Viper 2011
The new Viper model will start in 2012-2013 I think.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
My stock 2010 WRX is just as fast (in some cases faster, 0-60 in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.5), handles better, is cheaper, more reliable AND I can drive it in the winter. The AWD system is incredible, arguably the best on the market, and the car is just plain fun to drive.

Subaru makes incredible vehicles and there are tons still on the road from the 90's. You just can't beat them in my opinion.

PS - **** domestics
I owned a Forester for 2 months and really liked it, until my motor blew up (piston slack). Too bad they didn't fix that piston design flaw earlier (was a 1999 in mint condition).

I'd buy one in a second if only the 2.5 boxer was more reliable.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
no not kidding when i had my CRX in the pic, i would get pulled over almost on a weekly basis, if it wasnt for exhaust noise, if was to check emission, or tinted windows, it was always something different, ive got almost twice the power in my M and have yet to be pulled over once, i make jokes now with my buddies who still have there Honda's, cops dont pull over BMW drivers. A stock E36 M3 is a very cheap sports car to own, the E46 M3 on the other hand can be very expensive to up keep.
Cause the CRX is an easy target cause it's like 20 years old dude. I almost never get pulled over in my civic and it's an Si. I did get pulled over once though recently

The CRX is really ricer too, a normal civic isn't as bad as a CRX imo. CRX is like asking to get pulled over. It's old, it's leet, people modify them heavily (ls-vtec frankenstein ftw) and frankly they are what they are

But I can understand you make the comparison based off personal experience which is fair enough. Definitely got pulled over less in my Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_mtl View Post
PS. Subaru's sold in Canada/USA are made in the USA....

Just an FYI
Engineering and Assembly are two very different things though. Being manufactured in America is a good thing. Look at the golf it's manufactured in Mexico now and it's ****. Quality control in America is actually pretty good, it's the engineering they had issues with, how to make a good car, not how to assemble one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
got one now already.. great cars, so reliable. However I want AWD, and a sedan or SUV with a boxy styling. Honda CRV could be an option but I'm just not into the styling (too girly), especially the older models in my budget.
You do realize the accord is made in AWD ver now that's probably better than a forester right? but yeah they don't have any used ones in your price range since it's new

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

You do realize the accord is made in AWD ver now that's probably better than a forester right? but yeah they don't have any used ones in your price range since it's new
Honestly, the more I test drive older cars the less I want an older car lol

Watch me end up coming home with a new Pathfinder (if they're still being made)

I think the chances of me getting a car from a big name dealer in the 10-12k range is getting higher since I'm just too paranoid to deal with shady old cars or repair issues.. last thing I want is to buy something for 4K, then get hit with repairs that bring the real price even higher... minus well just put a bit more and get a newer car that won't give me issues I guess. With that said, if I kind find an older Accord with low mileage for 5 or 6 K than it's pbrly the best value I can get -- those cars are virtually headache free (though not AWD)

I'll keep my eyes open for my original budget and see if I find that 93 year old grandmother who wants to sell her 4x4 that has only 23,000 KM for 5K

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
The new Viper model will start in 2012-2013 I think.
That's pretty much what I heard. The 2011 Viper will be the last of it's generation.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:39 PM
neofury*

Dude I'm telling you, you won't regret it. You can even just get a real beater for like 2k, an early 90's boxy accord, then spend like 1k touching it up.

If it's only for winter you'll save a ton of money on the insurance just because it's a **** box, you won't need two way lol.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:39 PM
neofury*

Quote:
That's pretty much what I heard. The 2011 Viper will be the last of it's generation.
I liked the look of this gens viper. (And I'm not a viper guy)

I've really liked what Dodge has been doing with their sports cars, only beef I have is they should make a charger coupe.

Old
10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I liked the look of this gens viper. (And I'm not a viper guy)

I've really liked what Dodge has been doing with their sports cars, only beef I have is they should make a charger coupe.
I love my Viper, I haven't even looked to see what the new generation is supposed to look like. I'm afraid I might be disappointed.

I agree, it's almost like they've gone back to a more old school look.

Old
10-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Habs83

Quote:
I love my Viper, I haven't even looked to see what the new generation is supposed to look like. I'm afraid I might be disappointed.

You have a Viper?!?!?

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:

A great Chrysler site I found while searching info on new car models : http://www.allpar.com/

The new tentative Viper 2012 look :

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs83 View Post
You have a Viper?!?!?
Yes, it's one of the perks of being old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
A great Chrysler site I found while searching info on new car models : http://www.allpar.com/

Thanks Kebekoi, I'll have to check it out.

Old
10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
neofury*

You have a viper? You aren't from the West Island though right? (Know an older guy whose a diehard habs fan from the west island who owns one, goes to my gf's timmies all the time, he also owns/owned a hummer)

Also FYI the link to that Viper pic linked above: http://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/v...viper-2012.jpg

Edit #2: Read the fine print on the pic.

Edit #3: for some reason when I first looked at the pic it didn't show it and now it does, I guess it's grabbing it from the temp files on my box now

Old
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
coolasprICE

neofury

just found a Honda Accord, 2003 LX-G, with 113 KM .. private seller .. he's serviced it at Honda and has all the bills to prove it... He's asking 8k, but negotiable (so figure $7000 to 7500).

I think it's a good deal, you?

Old
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
alexstream

re: automatic subaru

no it's not stupid... but it's like ending up with Robin instead of Batman.

it's still a superhero... but not the one you wished you had.

Last edited by alexstream: 10-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.
alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:
neofury

just found a Honda Accord, 2003 LX-G, with 113 KM .. private seller .. he's serviced it at Honda and has all the bills to prove it... He's asking 8k, but negotiable (so figure $7000 to 7500).

I think it's a good deal, you?
I'm no pro with buying used cars but you may want to look into it. An 03 Honda for 7k sounds good. Isn't the LX-G one with a normal engine but it's a luxery model in terms of options/interior etc?

A 7 year old Honda is comparible in price a lot of the time to some 3-4 year old American cars. I'd see what a 3 year old Taurus sells for and compare the prices. Same with maybe a Malibu, similar class cars that aren't as old.

Honda retains a ton of value due to the fact that the parts last long and are cheap to replace, that and of course the labor being easy to do and affordable as well.

What I will say is check it out, if you like it take it to a garage, ask them what they think the trade in value would be and what they would try to sell it for. (don't tell them the price you're paying)

An unbiased opinion from a mechanic could be helpful to gauge the true value of the car.

Old
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post

Ya I know. I'd like to try driving something different , but most important to me is reliability and a good deal..

oh ya, the guy is throwing in 4 summer and 4 winter tires too.

dealers would be selling this car for 9500 - 10 K from what I see...

I'm a bit impatient and don't want to waste my days hunting for a car .. as time is money, lol

Old
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Ya I know. I'd like to try driving something different , but most important to me is reliability and a good deal..

oh ya, the guy is throwing in 4 summer and 4 winter tires too.

dealers would be selling this car for 9500 - 10 K from what I see...

I'm a bit impatient and don't want to waste my days hunting for a car .. as time is money, lol
You can't really go wrong man. Low ball him, tell him you'll come with 6.5-7k cash right now (obviously after checking the car out at a mechanic) and see what he says.

I'd expect in best condition it's worth about 9k realistically. If it's medium condition for 7k can't really go wrong if a mechanic tells you it's good to go, plus if the tires are in top shape that's a lot of money being saved as well.

Quote:

Problem with cars is give a mouse a piece of cheese he'll ask for a glass of milk.

I was thrilled to get my Taurus when I got it, fully loaded luxery model of the Taurus, I know Taurus isn't great but for a first car it was awesome.

Then I wanted more (lol) cause of the power, the fact that fords suck and stuff was always breaking, stupid stuff too, not stuff that normally stops working on other cars.

Now I drive an 08 Civic Si sedan. It's ****ing awesome the thing really rips, it gives me everything I had in my Taurus + more. The thing has balls and for a 4 cylinder I love it. Now I want a ****ing Challenger SRT8.

What do you think is going to happen when I get that Challenger SRT8? I'll pull an h10h and I'll pine over a viper, an austin martin, etc.

Eventually one day if I'm rich I'll get the Veryon and you know what? Within a year I'll reminiss about how I loved that Honda I owned as a kid. With cars you can't ever win. I absolutely loved any car I ever owned when I first owned it. You just find yourself wanting more, or wanting something different.

Like right now I say I'll never drive an automatic ever again but in 15 years who knows

(Thanks for all the merges I know I don't make life easy on you, will try to be better in the future but I'm the type of person I think of something I have to say it right away or else I forget what I was going to say or my point about the first post before I read the 2nd a combination of pot and ADD)

Old
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_mtl View Post
PS. Subaru's sold in Canada/USA are made in the USA....

Just an FYI
PS - Not my car. Only the Legacy, Outback and Tribeca. And being built in the US has no bearing on the engineering of the vehicle. But thanks for comin out.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Dashboard

Quote:
re: automatic subaru

That's sig material right there. Mind if I use it for my sig on subaru's forum

Dashboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM
BadHabit

All wheel drive Honda? How long have they been making those - 5 years? Less than that? I'm sure they've got it all figured out in that time. Subaru on the other hand has been designing and manufacturing their AWD system for nearly 40 years. They have been consistently one of the best manufacturers in the World Rally Circuit until they left and have won many titles even in the production class driving cars like what the public drives. Bottom line? Just because Honda or any other manufacturer throws an "AWD" sticker on the back of their vehicle doesn't mean it's of the same quality system as one that has been proven to be one of the best year after year.

You will have to decide what you want. If you don't care about AWD that much and just want a beater that will last, by all means get a Honda - they are excellent cars. (a Pontiac Vibe though, seriously??) But if you want an amazing AWD system that will get you through just about anything and keep you safe, all while being just as reliable, pay a little extra and get a Subaru. You won't be disappointed. My WRX and my fiancee's Forester are the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow. Put some winter tires on them and you'll be unstoppable.

Old
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
mt_mtl

Quote:
Engineering and Assembly are two very different things though. Being manufactured in America is a good thing. Look at the golf it's manufactured in Mexico now and it's ****. Quality control in America is actually pretty good, it's the engineering they had issues with, how to make a good car, not how to assemble one.
Thanks, but I am fully aware of that. My point was more directed at his comment, "PS. **** domestics". I'm not big on American car manufacturers either, just didn't like him saying that.

Last edited by mt_mtl: 10-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
All wheel drive Honda? How long have they been making those - 5 years? Less than that? I'm sure they've got it all figured out in that time. Subaru on the other hand has been designing and manufacturing their AWD system for nearly 40 years. They have been consistently one of the best manufacturers in the World Rally Circuit until they left and have won many titles even in the production class driving cars like what the public drives. Bottom line? Just because Honda or any other manufacturer throws an "AWD" sticker on the back of their vehicle doesn't mean it's of the same quality system as one that has been proven to be one of the best year after year.

You will have to decide what you want. If you don't care about AWD that much and just want a beater that will last, by all means get a Honda - they are excellent cars. (a Pontiac Vibe though, seriously??) But if you want an amazing AWD system that will get you through just about anything and keep you safe, all while being just as reliable, pay a little extra and get a Subaru. You won't be disappointed. My WRX and my fiancee's Forester are the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow. Put some winter tires on them and you'll be unstoppable.
my friend you come off as knowing so much if you would know anything Toyota and GM used Subaru"s awd system in the vibe and matrix, and furthermore BMW uses Subaru awd system in their Xi models, many deals manufacturers pull off and the general public never knows.

Quote:
Cause the CRX is an easy target cause it's like 20 years old dude. I almost never get pulled over in my civic and it's an Si. I did get pulled over once though recently

The CRX is really ricer too, a normal civic isn't as bad as a CRX imo. CRX is like asking to get pulled over. It's old, it's leet, people modify them heavily (ls-vtec frankenstein ftw) and frankly they are what they are

But I can understand you make the comparison based off personal experience which is fair enough. Definitely got pulled over less in my Taurus

my crx was so sexy though, jdm front end, H22 type S engine, put $23,000 into the car got $10,000 back things you do when your young and stupid, wait a minute i just sunk $25,000 into a 99 M3, i guess im still somewhat stupid.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
coolasprICE

So I went to see the Accord all the way in Anjou ( I'm near CSL / NDG ) , waited for him inside the mall for 20 minutes --after dealing with the traffic to get there -- he finally showed up and the car was awesome.

Perfect condition, everything about it was great.. Drove like new. I was ready to make a deal........... but he wasn't!

" I promised 2 other guys that I'd show it to them " WTF?!

What's up with that?? It's like going to the dealer, agreeing on a price, and then the salesperson says " ok, well I'll let you know by Monday , I have a few ppl coming in to check it out".

Wow this car hunting is proving to be a major waste of time and energy... especially if this guy doesn't call back. Oh ya, we agreed to $7500 and his 8 tires.

Old
10-21-2010, 09:50 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
my friend you come off as knowing so much if you would know anything Toyota and GM used Subaru"s awd system in the vibe and matrix, and furthermore BMW uses Subaru awd system in their Xi models, many deals manufacturers pull off and the general public never knows.
Bull. Prove it - I want to see links "my friend".

Old
10-21-2010, 10:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Isn't it only the crosstour that comes with AWD? Unless i'm mistaken.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote