HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty cleared to return to full hockey activity, expected to play Thursday

Old
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Quattro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I don't care whether or not Cole gets suspended, I just want Doughty to be healthy.
This.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
onlyalad

Here is a sad comment. If Cole were to get suspended all it would do is hurt the Kings. The Canes play the Yotes next. We want the Canes to win or more correctly the Yotes to lose. Any punishment at this point can only hurt the Kings.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Think you need to take another look at what you're saying. I know that there's bound to be a ton of over-reaction the day after something like this takes place, but damn.

People get hit; they get injured. That's part of the game. It wasn't a dirty hit; in fact there's a case to be made that Drew initiated the movement toward the collision. If Doughty would have laid a hit on one of the Hurricanes like that, we'd be praising him. I'm sure Doughty's learned to be more careful out there; to not be caught sleeping when skating over the opponent's blue line. That's a no-no. No question he knew this going in, of course, but apparently he needed a reminder. Know where everyone is, and keep your head on a swivel out there.
I'm not over-reacting.

I'm not saying Cole tried to hurt Doughty. I'm not saying Cole is a dirty player. I'm saying that teams have been keying on Doughty this year. Last night a hit that was a good 1.5 seconds after Doughty got rid of the puck (watch the replay and count it out in your head) knocked him out of the game and he'll miss tonight's game as well. Nobody responded last night, and I never even said that was a bad thing. I think a lot of people missed the lateness of the hit in general and nobody in the media picked up on it either. No big deal.

What I am saying is that, moving forward, if someone hits Doughty and that hit is even remotely questionable (I don't care if it's a good hard clean hit), someone needs to make an example of the person that hit him, regardless of whether or not the hit was clean or dirty. I'm not advocating a Bertuzzi or McSorely response, just a response.

I'm saying, make a statement that you better not go after Doughty. Period.

I'd rather lose one game on a bad penalty standing up for our superstar defenseman(regardless of whether that response was in reaction to something dirty or clean) then have Doughty get hurt and miss an extended period of time because there are never consequences for hitting Doughty.

That's not over-reacting, that's hockey.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
glovesave42

From the LA Times, the rule outlaws: "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

I don't see any way that you can say this hit DOESN'T fit into that rule. The head was the principal point of contact, and it was a blindside hit- Doughty didn't see him coming (thought maybe he should have). The rule puts the responsibility for avoiding the head on the guy initiating contact, which means it's Cole's responsibility. The debate over whether or not Doughty (or anyone) had his head down is meaningless according to the rule.

To me, this hit is similar to the Doan hit that got a 3 game suspension. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cole get 3 games too, though none of us can ever know for sure when it's the NHL ruling.

EDIT: Bob McKenzie posted that Cole will not be disciplined- the NHL believes the head was not the principle point of contact and was not intentional. The wheel of justice has spoken.

Last edited by glovesave42: 10-21-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update
glovesave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:32 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Your guy turned into him. Cole protected himself.
Did not know Colin Campbell posted here. Huh.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

"At least a week"

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/10/21/doughty-update-4/

Guess Barry missed this one.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Shellz

It sucks. But, whatever, could be a lot worse. Take your time, Drew.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
no name

I'm all about big hits. This one didn't look like he tried to hurt Drew. I don't like the injury but I'm not getting bent out of shape over this one. Come back better DD.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Now it is an opportunity for Jack Johnson to prove just how good he can be without Doughty. As we saw last night, JJ and Stoll will be manning the points on the top PP unit, and I thought they did a good job together and made smart passes that helped get the forwards moving. Although no goals were scored, the pressure and opportunities were there and the goals will surely come.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Orenji

Hopefully it's just a weak as precaution not to injure himself anymore.

He hasn't been super stellar offensively, but he's been solid on D. At least this gives Johnson's the reigns as our #1 d-man, in the offensive department, of course. Maybe he'll breakout now.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Johnny Utah

Mitchell and Harrold....ugh. Please recall someone.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Your crazy JU, Harrold's a stud.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:28 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Voynov or Hickey? I don't want Harrold back there lmao, he scares me too much. Knowing TM & DL, they'll probably stand pat or call up the someone like Martinez, whom they can afford to have up here as a healthy scratch in case anything were to happen

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
"At least a week"
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/10/21/doughty-update-4/
Guess Barry missed this one.
Eric Lindros says HI !
Brayden Schenn's Knee says HI !
and so on and so on ...

Barry misses A LOT ...

what's he gotten right ? Jack Johnson's contract term ? and what else ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I'm saying, make a statement that you better not go after Doughty. Period. That's not over-reacting, that's hockey.
I agree in principle. But the grey area is that Doughty does his share of hitting too. So I don't think you can give him the "Gretzky Magical Forcefield" either.

So yeah I'd agree with you for questionable/unnecessary/unnecessarily hard/dirty hits. But not clean solid ones. Grey area, I know.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Eric Lindros says HI !
Brayden Schenn's Knee says HI !
and so on and so on ...

Barry misses A LOT ...

what's he gotten right ? Jack Johnson's contract term ? and what else ?
lol Greene's injury, Schenn's knee (first reported it - was wrong on how long he'll be out for), Westgarth's injury.. There's lots of things, I think when Clune was sent down to Ontario, he first reported that. Yeah, the guy is wrong, he has his ups and downs but you gotta admit he's got some valid sources and some weak ones

Old
10-21-2010, 02:39 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

What scares me the most is that Lombardi is saying he'll miss AT LEAST a week.. could be longer lol, knowing our management and coaching staff, Doughty will probably be out for a month

Old
10-21-2010, 02:43 PM
yankeeking

Bad timing to boot a week is five games this time,all with the western conf......

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
What I am saying is that, moving forward, if someone hits Doughty and that hit is even remotely questionable (I don't care if it's a good hard clean hit), someone needs to make an example of the person that hit him, regardless of whether or not the hit was clean or dirty. I'm not advocating a Bertuzzi or McSorely response, just a response.

I'd rather lose one game on a bad penalty
... Well OK, you're not talking about a McSorley or Bertuzzi response. So, what exactly are you advocating? Why isn't a good hard clean hit enough of a response? Even if the Kings had guys like Joey Kocur, the late Bob Probert, etc etc ... you don't think guys are gonna get hit? Of course they will, especially if they're caught admiring their passes or skating absent-mindedly over the opponent's blue line. THAT's hockey; your guys get hit, and you go out and hit other guys. Checks get finished. It wasn't like Doughty got a cheap shot with a stick. If we're talking spearing, heavy slashing, heavy boarding - then OK, alright, make an example of them. But a clean hit?

I actually think this is a good thing for Doughty. He's gotten off to a slow start this season, and it might wake him up. In the recent past, he's done a lot of mouthing off. If you're gonna talk like that, don't be surprised if you get hit. Hell - don't be surprised if you get hit, regardless. There's no reason to advocate a dirty act that may or may not cost the team down the road. NO one is bigger than the team, not even Drew Doughty. If, in the next game against Carolina, Brown or whoever is able to catch Cole with a big hit ... then great, message delivered. There's the receipt. But I don't advocate anything beyond that, not for something like this.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Habstract

That was dirty, Doughty got rid of the puck like 3 seconds before he get hit..

Can't wait to see the Kings play Eric Cole again...

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Voynov or Hickey? I don't want Harrold back there lmao, he scares me too much. Knowing TM & DL, they'll probably stand pat or call up the someone like Martinez, whom they can afford to have up here as a healthy scratch in case anything were to happen

I think this is a game where they give Harrold a "chance" to prove himself; he blows it. They call someone from Manchester to fill in.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
That was dirty, Doughty got rid of the puck like 3 seconds before he get hit..

Can't wait to see the Kings play Eric Cole again...
Yeah in a year or so..

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
theforgottenhanson

Erik Cole Should Be Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Here is a sad comment. If Cole were to get suspended all it would do is hurt the Kings. The Canes play the Yotes next. We want the Canes to win or more correctly the Yotes to lose. Any punishment at this point can only hurt the Kings.

Cole's hardly the player he used to be... I don't think suspending him will hurt the Kings all that much in the long run. Better to suspend him than to risk another dirty hit against a King in the future for lack of proper enforcement this time around.

theforgottenhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Habstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Yeah in a year or so..
Exactly, I don't think the guys will forget it, neither Doughty...

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Bad timing to boot a week is five games this time,all with the western conf......
Better now than the middle or end of the season.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote