HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Canucks will move Bieksa ASAP

Old
10-22-2010, 09:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Bieksa wouldn't be worse than Spacek...That's for sure. But I just don't see a trade happening because of the cap unless Spacek is sent elsewhere. Maybe Spacek isn't the one to be moved? Maybe Hal Gill will be moved? Who knows, we'll see how it plays out.

But Bieksa isn't worse than Spacek, he's definitley an upgrade...how much of an upgrade? Who knows.

We'll see how this plays out soon.
Bieksa for Spacek wouldn't bother me because it would be a bad defenseman for another bad defenseman with equal cap hits (I think)...but I see no reason at all why Vancouver would do it. I just don't want us giving up anything of substance for Bieksa.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:45 AM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

I would welcome Bieska to Montreal to play beside Markov. Better fit than anyone we currently have other than Gorges, and Gorges-Gill is too good to break up.

Markov-Bieksa
Hamrlik-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Spacek/OByrne (whichever one isn't traded)

Works for me

We have a good number of young forwards who are ready or almost ready to make the jump, which I think would interest Vancouver (Maxwell is the first name that comes to mind)

Maxwell + Spacek
v.
Bieksa+?

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
hasn't philly stated that they won't trade Carter?

anyway, if Vancouver gets Carter the other teams in the West are in serious trouble
Sounds an awful lot like what everyone said when VAN acquired Luongo.

How has that worked out so far for all the other Western teams?

GuinnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Reign Nateo

Of course it's trendy to hate on Bieksa, but he's really not as bad as his rep. on HF. Had brutal stretches since his injury and Vigneault just loves him and uses him too much. With a coach that wan't so smitten with him and more limited minutes, he would be a solid addition to pretty much any core in the league. He's even and plays 22+ minutes a night for us.If we could get Vigneault to use him properly, I'd rather keep him than accept any of these lame proposals. But we will probably move him to save cap.

That Carter deal is stupid though. Carter needs to play C and we'd have to bump Kesler down a line. Plus we can't afford his salary, even with moving Bieksa. Plus Philly deserves more in that deal. Holmgren or not.

Last edited by Reign Nateo: 10-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
whats with the hate on bieksa, im just wondering?

Once a solid D-man, he has had a rash of injuries and possibly not being used appropriately.

I just dont get it when guys are rumored to be on the move, the fans of the team come out of the woodwork and spare no expense to rip that player to shreds.
"Bah who needs that bum anyways, i would rather have an imaginary 4th round pick in 2012 than a NHL defensemen!". Its like they cant give any credit to anybody because currently then arent playing well.

and so on, i just dont get it.
He's the Nucks fans scapegoat of the year. He's had awful stretches, but considering the injuries and everything else, I'd rather hold on to him and see if he can rebound. Wasn't long ago that Bieksa was a Canuck-fan darling, and nary untouchable. Other teams fans likely don't know much, but they jump on the pile when they see his own fans turn on him! I think people would be surprised at just how much value Bieksa will have around the league. Not Jeff Carter territory, but he won't be dumped for a mid-round pick in my mind (not that you were suggesting that yourself).

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Bieksa for Spacek wouldn't bother me because it would be a bad defenseman for another bad defenseman with equal cap hits (I think)...but I see no reason at all why Vancouver would do it. I just don't want us giving up anything of substance for Bieksa.
I don't think either one is a "bad defenseman". Spacek has been victimized a bit this year, but we tend to overlook that he's also doing all the usual solid veteran D things in addition (especially to the two times he got "Sourayed").

I'd do the deal because it'd get us out of a big contract a year earlier. But of course, not an option for the Canucks. They wouldn't be getting a "bad defenseman" out of the deal, however. Just an even worse contract situation, which is a non-starter.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Hugo Sham

if the habs deal for bieksa - and it makes sense based on the putrid play of spacek and to a lesser extent hamerlik - i can see the habs moving picks and / or a young d man like carle or even O'Byrne (victoria kid) - or center ben maxwell (vancouver kid)...
as per the two czechs? one will probably get buried in the press box but as mentioned...i see O'Byrne as part of a bieksa deal --with a guy like picard being sent back down or to the press box

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He's the Nucks fans scapegoat of the year. He's had awful stretches, but considering the injuries and everything else, I'd rather hold on to him and see if he can rebound. Wasn't long ago that Bieksa was a Canuck-fan darling, and nary untouchable. Other teams fans likely don't know much, but they jump on the pile when they see his own fans turn on him! I think people would be surprised at just how much value Bieksa will have around the league. Not Jeff Carter territory, but he won't be dumped for a mid-round pick in my mind (not that you were suggesting that yourself).
well said.

Its kinda like everytime habs ship someone off and they, theyre always useless & finished. They rejoice when we get the 3rd rounder in 5 years.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Of course it's trendy to hate on Bieksa, but he's really not as bad as his rep. on HF. Had brutal stretches since his injury and Vigneault just loves him and uses him too much. With a coach that wan't so smitten with him and more limited minutes, he would be a solid addition to pretty much any core in the league. He's even and plays 22+ minutes a night for us.If we could get Vigneault to use him properly, I'd rather keep him than accept any of these lame proposals. But we will probably move him to save cap.

That Carter deal is stupid though. Carter needs to play C and we'd have to bump Kesler down a line. Plus we can't afford his salary, even with moving Bieksa. Plus Philly deserves more in that deal. Holmgren or not.
Kesler can play right wing.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Kesler can play right wing.
If anything, having another proven Top 6 center can only be a good thing... what if Kesler or Henrik go down? Who fills in? Malhotra? Hodgson? Tsk.

One of the reasons why I'm not convinced we're as deep as everyone makes us out to be. Look at Boston or Philly or Detroit, they have a ton of players that can play center in case of injuries.

(Story would be different if Hodgson actually was NHL ready... actually scratch, at least AHL ready.)

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post
Sounds an awful lot like what everyone said when VAN acquired Luongo.

How has that worked out so far for all the other Western teams?
Well, they have gotten down to the final 4 teams in the West 3 of his 4 seasons here...but I digress.

I'm not a Bieksa hater like some of my fellow Canuck fans. He's inconsistent and has some blemishes in his game, but he can bring some positive things. He's a smooth skater who's good at getting shots through to the net either for a goal or a rebound, and when he throws down he can be quite a good scrapper.

The issue is sometimes he takes too many risks with the puck and gets caught running around, and he doesn't really have the same nasty streak that he used to.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Well, they have gotten down to the final 4 teams in the West 3 of his 4 seasons here...but I digress.

I'm not a Bieksa hater like some of my fellow Canuck fans. He's inconsistent and has some blemishes in his game, but he can bring some positive things. He's a smooth skater who's good at getting shots through to the net either for a goal or a rebound, and when he throws down he can be quite a good scrapper.

The issue is sometimes he takes too many risks with the puck and gets caught running around, and he doesn't really have the same nasty streak that he used to.
He is also inexplicably still on the PK even though he was statistically by far the worst PKer in the whole league last year. I think the hate for Bieksa is not just because of Bieksa himself but because the coaching staff is insistent on using him in situations that he doesn't handle well.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
OMGaudreau

Bieksa for Staios!

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
There seems to be a lot of smoke surrounding this rumor although maybe it's just slowly being fed oxygen over the internet. Montreal seems to be popping up frequently. I don't think the Habs lack depth but they lack a rightie and are forcing Spacek to the right because of it.

Is there any chance two (Vancouver/Montreal) teams would trade struggling d-men? Spacek is struggling right now for Montreal but is experienced and probably would do better on his natural side if Vancouver has room for him there.

Some of the Montreal fanbase is enamored with Bieksa because of his right hand shot and physical presence. Maybe Bieksa paired with a guy like Hamrlik could help solve some of his defensive woes.

The result would be a veteran d-man (Spacek) added to a younger d core and a younger d-man added to an older Montreal core.

O'Byrne appears to be in the dog house too. Is there a younger d-man the Canucks would part with as well? Something like..........

Bieksa / younger D

for

Spacek / O'Byrne

He would be paired with Markov, which should help in that area. Anytime O'bryne and Markov are in the lineup together, they try them together. Komisarek and Markov before. They like having a physical guy there to protect their best player.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Agreed.

I know some Caps fans have reservations about Bieksa, deservedly so, but I think pairing him with a guy like Poti or Alzner should help with some of his mistakes.

They really need someone to pair with Alzner because playing every other night with Erskine or Sloan, on his wrong side, is really hurting his development.

So...back to old reliable.

David Steckel and Anton Gustafsson for Bieksa
Hey! You took out the third!

I also don't want Steckel, but this debate's been done too many times...

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
What part of "ASAP" escapes you?
umm.... none of it.

It stands for "As soon as POSSIBLE".

They could move Bieska right now if they wanted. The return might be horrible and it might leave a gap at defence.

If they wait until all the defence is healthy and they got a good deal, that would be more like: as soon as it is a good idea.

Notice the differnce. So might point stands. Right now the Canucks need Bieska. Moving him ASAP would be a bad idea.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Can't really see how a deal with the Habs would work unless another team was involved.

Something like:

Bieksa to Habs
Spacek or Hamrlik to ?
Cheaper Hab assets to Nucks

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

I am a Bieksa hater, but I actually recognize that my constant yelling at the TV is largely a result of confirmation bias. When I think Bieksa, I think mistakes -- and so mistakes is what I see. I also see a number of good plays Bieksa, but I dismiss them as anomalies... or sarcastically compliment the little guy. But really he's just a high risk, high reward player with certain intangibles.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Analyzer*

If he were dealt here, the first question he would be ask would be "Are you still too tall to play here ?"

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I thought he was pretty good against the Hawks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I came away with the opposite view

Bieksa was terrible

Yeah i saw that game, he was terrible... stop trolling and spreading misinformation you goon

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:27 AM
TheBigTicket

the carter thing is rididculous. typical carl weezer looking for attention.

i dont doubt that MG wants to move bieska tho. id expect a young d or bottom 6 player and/or picks

p.s thank god

TheBigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Maybe Buffalo could use someone like Bieksa?

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Well he seems like he might be a nice fit in Ottawa since Murray is really looking for a tough blueliner that can actually play some minutes.
(although my memory of Bieksa seems somewhat better and tougher than described here)
his contract expires at the end of the season, so sounds pretty good.

not sure what you would expect in return though...I'd say Lee since you would get a young dman in return. he can play but for whatever reason he's going to get run out of town here at some point.
ottawa takes on the the extra 2.5 in salary somehow i suppose making it a reasonable deal for Van if they really just want to move his salary.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs don't make sense for Bieksa... we have a little cap room, but not $3.75M... not without moving Spacek or Hamrlik, anyway, and obviously those aren't players the Canucks would want back, it would be a total cap non-starter. Habs have 8D as it is.
8 d-men + Yannick Weber has 8 points (4 goals) in 4 games with the Bulldogs (AHL).

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
99 steps
to the top

I don't watch every Canucks game (obviously), but my sense is that Bieksa is a present-day whipping boy for the Canucks' inconsistent defense in front of Luongo. Surely some of it has to do with the fact he is overpaid, but it seems like a portion of the constant criticism against Bieksa is unwarranted. He's not terrible.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote