HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2010, 09:21 AM
  #476
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
My only frustration with Rosi is his reluctance to use his still-good point shot. That's about where it ends with frustration, and even then it's a mild level.

Other than that, I like his play, always did. I hated when fans booed him for no good reason and you can see it affect his play - who wouldn't have been affected?! He was playing better on the road at the time where fans weren't on him.

I'm glad he's here, he's logging a ton of minutes, and playing well.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:25 AM
  #477
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
Yeah Rozy plays better on the road... always.

Coincidence? Doubtful.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:33 AM
  #478
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah Rozy plays better on the road... always.

Coincidence? Doubtful.
maybe if he didnt get boo'd undeservedly by our fans then hed play fine

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
  #479
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,863
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
maybe if he didnt get boo'd undeservedly by our fans then hed play fine
It's a shame so many Rangers fans don't know much about hockey. Otherwise they could appreciate a player like Rozsival.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:56 AM
  #480
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah Rozy plays better on the road... always.

Coincidence? Doubtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
maybe if he didnt get boo'd undeservedly by our fans then hed play fine
Dave Maloney actually said something to this effect last night... that Rozy plays better on the road and that the fans should lay off him at home.

The boos are indeed undeserving... he's a solid defenseman. There are players who perform worse than him, and they don't draw the ire of the fans.

Rozy is usually a slow starter, and the fact that he is doing so well thus far is a very encouraging sign. And from an offensive standpoint, he looks like the Rozy of old. He didn't even score his first goal until late November last season. It would be stupendous if we could get another 30+ point season out of him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
  #481
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Rozsy had a very good game tonight. Solid on the blue line and stepping into a few rushes by the leafs, breaking them up. I think it was Grabovsky.

He also made a nice hard pass to Anisimov. Perfect pass to deflect.


I think it's hysterical the the post prior to this one was made in May lol

I guess we may not see it bumped again until march

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
  #482
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's a shame so many Rangers fans don't know much about hockey. Otherwise they could appreciate a player like Rozsival.
Thats very true in the case of Rozsival, and in the case of defenseman in general.

These fans will ignore 25 minutes of good hockey by a vet like Rozy and harp on the one time he fumbled the puck on the powerplay or some other stupid little detail. Guys that can eat up so many minutes on the backend are extremely valuable.

Meanwhile people are going ga-ga over Sauer and his 9 minutes last night (not a slight, he played well) and virtually ignore Roszival's 24 minute contribution to the effort.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
  #483
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
He played awesome yesterday. My favorite from last night.
If that wasn't the only game he played like that, physical and all, he wouldn't be booed.

You think NYR fans boo because they want to? ..or is it because he gives up at least one breakawayon a given night? (and it seems they always score on HIS giveaways)

Whatever...he plays like that consistently and his salary is a steal, and no more booing.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
  #484
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
This is not exclusive to the Rangers. It's every fan base of every team everywhere.

There's always going to be a large portion of casual fans.

There's always going to be the anti-Rozsival crowd at the Garden for as long as he plays here.

No matter what Rosi does he'll be boo'd by them

If he scores, or makes a good play it'll get the "whoaaaaa Rosi acutally made a play for once," type of reaction, and then when he makes a mistake will instantly be boo'd again.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see it ever changing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
  #485
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
I'm glad someone pulled this thread back up.

He can play like that?????
If he doesn't repeat last night's performance, he deserves every bit of flak (the STOOPID)fans give him.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
  #486
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I'm glad someone pulled this thread back up.

He can play like that?????
If he doesn't repeat last night's performance, he deserves every bit of flak (the STOOPID)fans give him.
I think you kinda said it best though in your other post. I defend Rosi constantly, but I always chuckle because you're right, when he makes a bad play it usually seems to lead to a goal or a great scoring chance.

It's funny, but it does seem to work out that way.

The point though, is that most fans can't see past that. They see that, and only that. The 5 seconds that were terrible. Not the twenty minutes that were solid.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
  #487
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
This is not exclusive to the Rangers. It's every fan base of every team everywhere.

There's always going to be a large portion of casual fans.

There's always going to be the anti-Rozsival crowd at the Garden for as long as he plays here.

No matter what Rosi does he'll be boo'd by them

If he scores, or makes a good play it'll get the "whoaaaaa Rosi acutally made a play for once," type of reaction, and then when he makes a mistake will instantly be boo'd again.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see it ever changing.
Someone could serious do a senior thesis on why Rozsival, exactly.

Is it because he has been around longer than anyone else? New toy syndrome?

Is it because he is czech?

Is it because he was a UFA signing?

Is it because he is neither Leetch nor Beukeboom, but a hybrid defenseman who's contributions are not always obvious to the average casual fan?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
  #488
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I think you kinda said it best though in your other post. I defend Rosi constantly, but I always chuckle because you're right, when he makes a bad play it usually seems to lead to a goal or a great scoring chance.

It's funny, but it does seem to work out that way.

The point though, is that most fans can't see past that. They see that, and only that. The 5 seconds that were terrible. Not the twenty minutes that were solid.
No offense, but the solid 20 minutes really doesn't matter when that one play means the game.

He has skill, and everyone knows it.
It's not like the other Rangers D-men are all-stars, but they aren't booed half as muchwhy? (Redden was, but we know that story)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
  #489
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
I and others have already run the statistical analysis and shown that Rozy gives away the puck less per minute than the average defenseman, and did it less last year than MDZ, and I think most of our other dmen as well.

Not only that, but he was our blocked shots leader from 2006 to 2009, where girardi took over due to more ice time.

So we know it isnt giveaways or takeaways.

He was also our leading scorer from the blueline up until last year, so it is hard to complain about his PP contributions either. Though some people tend to Overreact about his Decisiveness when it comes to using his Cannon of a shot

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
  #490
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Someone could serious do a senior thesis on why Rozsival, exactly.

Is it because he has been around longer than anyone else? New toy syndrome?

Is it because he is czech?

Is it because he was a UFA signing?

Is it because he is neither Leetch nor Beukeboom, but a hybrid defenseman who's contributions are not always obvious to the average casual fan?
he looks slow

his mistakes, though few, are usually glaring

he gets paid a lot

he was the QB on a god awful powerplay, the old perry pern special... stand still, pass around the parimeter, shoot into shin pads

all of those reasons coupled with the fact the most fans dont actually watch defensmen play...they just see scoring oppritunities for the opponant and point the finger at the nearest d-man

glad he played a consistant game and got a little recognition

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:49 AM
  #491
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
No offense, but the solid 20 minutes really doesn't matter when that one play means the game.

He has skill, and everyone knows it.
It's not like the other Rangers D-men are all-stars, but they aren't booed half as muchwhy? (Redden was, but we know that story)
The thing is, that play doesn't happen every game. And even when it does, it doesn't always cost us.

He butchered a play against the Avs I believe and Hank made the save.

The issue, again, is that people don't have the ability to look past 5 bad seconds in a game.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
  #492
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
all i know is opening night i was so pissed when people boo'd him....he was the only guy that got that treatment

you know what he came out and scored our first home goal of the season and got cheers after that

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:19 AM
  #493
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
The thing is, that play doesn't happen every game. And even when it does, it doesn't always cost us.

He butchered a play against the Avs I believe and Hank made the save.

The issue, again, is that people don't have the ability to look past 5 bad seconds in a game.
While the above is true, kinda opposite your last post where ya chuckled!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:44 AM
  #494
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
While the above is true, kinda opposite your last post where ya chuckled!
I chuckle cause Rosi's the guy who can't buy a break. He can play great but he'll make a noticeable gaffe and I can't help but laugh cause I know most people will only pay attention to that.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
  #495
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I and others have already run the statistical analysis and shown that Rozy gives away the puck less per minute than the average defenseman, and did it less last year than MDZ, and I think most of our other dmen as well.

Not only that, but he was our blocked shots leader from 2006 to 2009, where girardi took over due to more ice time.

So we know it isnt giveaways or takeaways.

He was also our leading scorer from the blueline up until last year, so it is hard to complain about his PP contributions either. Though some people tend to Overreact about his Decisiveness when it comes to using his Cannon of a shot
Does this include errant passes in the defensive zone that make it to a teammate but usually cause the team to get pinned in its own zone? Because that has always been his biggest problem and is usually glaring when he is off his game. He rarely makes a "bad" outlet pass, but often when he comes under intense pressure from the forecheck he makes passes that are sent to a vacated spot behind the net or that have to be dug out from the boards. It not only sometimes leads to goals but it also consistently wears down the defense.

Rozsival is a tough guy to rate. The best and worst things that he does are the hardest to quanitfy.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM
  #496
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's a shame so many Rangers fans don't know much about hockey. Otherwise they could appreciate a player like Rozsival.
This.

When we played Colorado I was behind 2 individuals. It was horrendous. Rozsival had the puck behind Colorado's net closer to the side of the net and they are yelling shoot. What the hell is he going to shoot at?

My friend next to me even started cracking up when I yelled "what do you want him to shoot at from behind the net"

It's pathetic the bias some of these clueless fans instill . And some of them are actually season ticket holders...

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
  #497
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Primetime Powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
I would not be opposed to re signing him after this contract but it all depends on how our prospects pan out because if we have a full d then he is expendable.

1)Staal-Girardi
2)MDZ-Sauer
3)Gilroy-VTank
Ex)Roszy?

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
  #498
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I would not be opposed to re signing him after this contract but it all depends on how our prospects pan out because if we have a full d then he is expendable.

1)Staal-Girardi
2)MDZ-Sauer
3)Gilroy-VTank
Ex)Roszy?
That would mark the third time they signed Rozy straight out of UFA.

I like the guy but after this contract we need to move on. He has cashed in his paycheck, go finish his career elsewhere or in Europe.

The reason we have been drafting defensemen is so we dont have to sign UFAs as much.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
  #499
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I would not be opposed to re signing him after this contract but it all depends on how our prospects pan out because if we have a full d then he is expendable.

1)Staal-Girardi
2)MDZ-Sauer
3)Gilroy-VTank
Ex)Roszy?
Gilroy is still a HUGE ? mark.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
  #500
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Does this include errant passes in the defensive zone that make it to a teammate but usually cause the team to get pinned in its own zone? Because that has always been his biggest problem and is usually glaring when he is off his game. He rarely makes a "bad" outlet pass, but often when he comes under intense pressure from the forecheck he makes passes that are sent to a vacated spot behind the net or that have to be dug out from the boards. It not only sometimes leads to goals but it also consistently wears down the defense.

Rozsival is a tough guy to rate. The best and worst things that he does are the hardest to quanitfy.
Actually in his defense, and anyone who's ever played any position in this game should back me when I say sometimes there's only so much you can do with it...and better have your closest D chase it to an open corner than a straight up giveaway in the neutral zone.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.