HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-22-2010, 12:04 AM
jdmef8vtec*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Bull. Prove it - I want to see links "my friend".
IDo you honestly think car manufacturers builds every part in the car 20% of a vehicle is built by the manufacturer, 80% of parts used to build vehicles are sourced through limited companies, Subaru's only advantage is software they dont make better differentials or transfer cases, so how easy would it be for car manufacturers in Europe and Japan to make deals on software without anyone ever knowing. Ooooooooooooh and almost forgot you surely must know that up until recently GM owned a 20ish% in Subaru minor detail.

Last edited by jdmef8vtec*: 10-22-2010 at 12:13 AM.
jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
So I went to see the Accord all the way in Anjou ( I'm near CSL / NDG ) , waited for him inside the mall for 20 minutes --after dealing with the traffic to get there -- he finally showed up and the car was awesome.

Perfect condition, everything about it was great.. Drove like new. I was ready to make a deal........... but he wasn't!

" I promised 2 other guys that I'd show it to them " WTF?!

What's up with that?? It's like going to the dealer, agreeing on a price, and then the salesperson says " ok, well I'll let you know by Monday , I have a few ppl coming in to check it out".

Wow this car hunting is proving to be a major waste of time and energy... especially if this guy doesn't call back. Oh ya, we agreed to $7500 and his 8 tires.
Be prepared to walk from this. Just a hunch on my part of course, but don't be surprised if he says he's received an offer for say $8000 from one of those "2 other guys". Hoping he can make an extra $500 off of you.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Habs83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yes, it's one of the perks of being old.

Well then I guess I have at least one thing to look forward to when i'm old.

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
So I went to see the Accord all the way in Anjou ( I'm near CSL / NDG ) , waited for him inside the mall for 20 minutes --after dealing with the traffic to get there -- he finally showed up and the car was awesome.

Perfect condition, everything about it was great.. Drove like new. I was ready to make a deal........... but he wasn't!

" I promised 2 other guys that I'd show it to them " WTF?!

What's up with that?? It's like going to the dealer, agreeing on a price, and then the salesperson says " ok, well I'll let you know by Monday , I have a few ppl coming in to check it out".

Wow this car hunting is proving to be a major waste of time and energy... especially if this guy doesn't call back. Oh ya, we agreed to $7500 and his 8 tires.
I've had many cars in my life, but the 3 Accords I've owned have all by far given the most back to me. I currently own a 2008 EX-L V6 NAV.

Having said that Honda had transmission problems in the early 2000's and the 2003 Accord was possibly the worst for showing these problems. As a longtime happy Honda owner I might stay away from this model year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
All wheel drive Honda? How long have they been making those - 5 years? Less than that? I'm sure they've got it all figured out in that time. Subaru on the other hand has been designing and manufacturing their AWD system for nearly 40 years. They have been consistently one of the best manufacturers in the World Rally Circuit until they left and have won many titles even in the production class driving cars like what the public drives. Bottom line? Just because Honda or any other manufacturer throws an "AWD" sticker on the back of their vehicle doesn't mean it's of the same quality system as one that has been proven to be one of the best year after year.

You will have to decide what you want. If you don't care about AWD that much and just want a beater that will last, by all means get a Honda - they are excellent cars. (a Pontiac Vibe though, seriously??) But if you want an amazing AWD system that will get you through just about anything and keep you safe, all while being just as reliable, pay a little extra and get a Subaru. You won't be disappointed. My WRX and my fiancee's Forester are the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow. Put some winter tires on them and you'll be unstoppable.
Yeah and honda's been one of the best car manufacturers in the world period, not just in some areas.

Don't get me wrong I love Subaru too, but don't try to play Honda like a ***** son (if you scroll up you'll see I even recommended a used WRX over the Forester)

PS: Last I checked Subaru's weren't nearly as reliable as Honda's nor are the parts/labor even close to as cheap. Plus the WRX of all cars is notably one of the ones where after 5 years people tend to have a ton of trouble with the engine. That hardly sounds reliable to me when I see people driving Accords from the 1980's still. The Accord and Civic get the **** beat out of them and come back begging for more. I rarely see any of those RS coupes anymore or even older STi's and WRX's. Why? Because they aren't on the road anymore. They cost more to fix than is worthwhile in most cases. Nobody wants to drop a new engine or a rebuilt engine into a 15 year old Subaru, for one it's expensive and for two it just isn't worth it. Yeah AWD is sick and all and sure I know people who have had great experiences with Subaru and terrible with Honda, not trying to say it's the case for everyone but I've never once heard someone even try to argue a Subaru's reliability versus a Honda's let alone the labor and parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Isn't it only the crosstour that comes with AWD? Unless i'm mistaken.
Yeah but if you want a forester, the crosstour is basically in the same class. It's not the same as the other Accords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
I've had many cars in my life, but the 3 Accords I've owned have all by far given the most back to me. I currently own a 2008 EX-L V6 NAV.

Having said that Honda had transmission problems in the early 2000's and the 2003 Accord was possibly the worst for showing these problems. As a longtime happy Honda owner I might stay away from this model year.
You can specifically ask the mechanic to do a "FULL TRANNY" something or other. Forget the technical term for it, but it's something you pay a bit extra for and they do a full inspection of the tranny and give you the lo-down. If the tranny is mint I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Also to Coolasprice: That's just how the used car game is. Wait a couple days tell him your offer is what it is and it's final and if he says he'll think about it etc or tries to negotiate above the price you want to pay tell him that it's the max you're willing to pay and that the offer goes away after 24 hours. You've got to play the game too. If you act like a ***** the guys going to try and play you like one dude, believe me the used car game isn't pretty. Half the people who sell used cars are either dealerships (always looking to scam LOL) or guys who flip cars. Not kidding I know people who aren't even mechanics who do this. They just have mechanic friends or even they just have money. Could be the guy isn't a mechanic but he saw the car originally for 6k, bought it and is trying to resell. Sometimes you can find really good deals on cars already under priced or needing a fix up.

Two friends of mine go through at least 6-12 cars each a year. They just buy them, sell their old car in the process, fix them up as they drive them and re-sell. Usually the profit can be anywhere from 500-1500$, nothing crazy but for a quick flip not bad for disposable income, these guys have jobs. Thing is though most of their cars are 2003 and prior, not like 2007 etc.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Be prepared to walk from this. Just a hunch on my part of course, but don't be surprised if he says he's received an offer for say $8000 from one of those "2 other guys". Hoping he can make an extra $500 off of you.
Oh ya last thing, if I do go ahead with the transaction with this guy, he wants me to do it at his dealer since he's buying a new honda and supposedly if I purchase it from there he saves on his new car. I never heard of this , I'll call the dealer to confirm this in the event we move forward. AND, this also means that we will only make the deal once his new car is ready, meaning I have to wait for whatever time it takes. He then asked me if I'd give him a deposit of 100 bucks or so just to make sure I'm serious and that he doesn't get stuck without a buyer. At first I thought this was weird, but it's only 100 bucks and I can see why it would suck if I backed out when his new car becomes ready... he'll have to scramble to find a new buyer quickly to get the discounts on the new car.

Quote:
Ahh, not what I wanted to hear... I googled, and found exactly what you are talking about here: http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...-failure.shtml

So now for sure I'm going to want to get the Tranny looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You can specifically ask the mechanic to do a "FULL TRANNY" something or other. Forget the technical term for it, but it's something you pay a bit extra for and they do a full inspection of the tranny and give you the lo-down. If the tranny is mint I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Do you think a honda dealer would be a good place to do this?

Quote:

Two friends of mine go through at least 6-12 cars each a year. They just buy them, sell their old car in the process, fix them up as they drive them and re-sell. Usually the profit can be anywhere from 500-1500$, nothing crazy but for a quick flip not bad for disposable income, these guys have jobs. Thing is though most of their cars are 2003 and prior, not like 2007 etc.
I think I may have met one or two of your friends in the past few days

You can just tell when someone is trying to flip it.

I've been looking at ads on a very popular site that starts with K and ends in I and has a few J's in it -- don't want to promote here! -- and a few adds I found seemed a bit " suspicious" .. so what I did was I googled the phone numbers they provided, and guess what? Google started pulling up their prior adds -- one guy has posted 3 adds in the past few months...

Essentially, my goal was to purchase a car from an old person, or someone from the burbs who gets their car serviced all the time at the dealer with proof. Usually those are good bets.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh ya last thing, if I do go ahead with the transaction with this guy, he wants me to do it at his dealer since he's buying a new honda and supposedly if I purchase it from there he saves on his new car. I never heard of this , I'll call the dealer to confirm this in the event we move forward. AND, this also means that we will only make the deal once his new car is ready, meaning I have to wait for whatever time it takes. He then asked me if I'd give him a deposit of 100 bucks or so just to make sure I'm serious and that he doesn't get stuck without a buyer. At first I thought this was weird, but it's only 100 bucks and I can see why it would suck if I backed out when his new car becomes ready... he'll have to scramble to find a new buyer quickly to get the discounts on the new car.
It's possible, but I've never heard of that before either. So I agree, it's probably a good idea to call the dealership. The only reason I can see him wanting you to do the transaction at the dealership is he's using your money as his down payment. This way he doesn't have to hold the $7500 you give him or wait for a check to clear if that was your agreement. He'll just have you give the money to the dealership directly.

The $100 deposit isn't bad, but I hope you got a signed receipt? As for the waiting, you're in the drivers seat so to speak. I would have told him to drop another couple of hundred dollars off the price for your inconvenience, but that's just me.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
It's possible, but I've never heard of that before either. So I agree, it's probably a good idea to call the dealership. The only reason I can see him wanting you to do the transaction at the dealership is he's using your money as his down payment. This way he doesn't have to hold the $7500 you give him or wait for a check to clear if that was your agreement. He'll just have you give the money to the dealership directly.
He said it's for discounts purposes that the dealer offers if he brings me, but you're theory is a good one too. I'll call the dealer (he told which one it is) and inquire.

Quote:

The $100 deposit isn't bad, but I hope you got a signed receipt? As for the waiting, you're in the drivers seat so to speak. I would have told him to drop another couple of hundred dollars off the price for your inconvenience, but that's just me.
oh, right now I didn't leave the deposit. He's going to be calling me today with news from the other 2 interested buyers. I agree with what you said before, he'll likely come back saying " they offered me 8K " and try to squeeze more out of me. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Yeah and honda's been one of the best car manufacturers in the world period, not just in some areas.

Don't get me wrong I love Subaru too, but don't try to play Honda like a ***** son (if you scroll up you'll see I even recommended a used WRX over the Forester)

PS: Last I checked Subaru's weren't nearly as reliable as Honda's nor are the parts/labor even close to as cheap. Plus the WRX of all cars is notably one of the ones where after 5 years people tend to have a ton of trouble with the engine. That hardly sounds reliable to me when I see people driving Accords from the 1980's still. The Accord and Civic get the **** beat out of them and come back begging for more. I rarely see any of those RS coupes anymore or even older STi's and WRX's. Why? Because they aren't on the road anymore. They cost more to fix than is worthwhile in most cases. Nobody wants to drop a new engine or a rebuilt engine into a 15 year old Subaru, for one it's expensive and for two it just isn't worth it. Yeah AWD is sick and all and sure I know people who have had great experiences with Subaru and terrible with Honda, not trying to say it's the case for everyone but I've never once heard someone even try to argue a Subaru's reliability versus a Honda's let alone the labor and parts.

Yeah but if you want a forester, the crosstour is basically in the same class. It's not the same as the other Accords.

Also to Coolasprice: That's just how the used car game is. Wait a couple days tell him your offer is what it is and it's final and if he says he'll think about it etc or tries to negotiate above the price you want to pay tell him that it's the max you're willing to pay and that the offer goes away after 24 hours. You've got to play the game too. If you act like a ***** the guys going to try and play you like one dude, believe me the used car game isn't pretty. Half the people who sell used cars are either dealerships (always looking to scam LOL) or guys who flip cars. Not kidding I know people who aren't even mechanics who do this. They just have mechanic friends or even they just have money. Could be the guy isn't a mechanic but he saw the car originally for 6k, bought it and is trying to resell. Sometimes you can find really good deals on cars already under priced or needing a fix up.

theres no mechanic out there that can check and guarantee you an automatic transmission is mint, todays auto transmissions have so many electrical components that fail only intermittently, checking a transmission is not like checking a balljoint or how much brake material you have left.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
neofury*

Quote:

The dumbass probably is still financing the car and needs him to pay the remainder of the car off before he can purchase his new one probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
theres no mechanic out there that can check and guarantee you an automatic transmission is mint, todays auto transmissions have so many electrical components that fail only intermittently, checking a transmission is not like checking a balljoint or how much brake material you have left.
Ahh didn't realize that. I just remember Mr Lube offered a service like this but I'm guessing it's manual.

I mean really though with an automatic it's fairly obvious if something is extremely wrong with the tranny only because of how the car will drive. The tranny on my Taurus was dirty and you could tell. If he takes it on the highway and pushes it a bit he should be able to tell. Also when the tranny ****s a lot of the time isn't there a check engine light? I'm not entirely sure about this you might be right but going based on adverts I've seen.

I'm guessing though the service is meant for manual. To be honest it would take a lot to beat an automatic honda's tranny anyways barring issues (like the ones linked above lol)

Old
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He said it's for discounts purposes that the dealer offers if he brings me, but you're theory is a good one too. I'll call the dealer (he told which one it is) and inquire.

oh, right now I didn't leave the deposit. He's going to be calling me today with news from the other 2 interested buyers. I agree with what you said before, he'll likely come back saying " they offered me 8K " and try to squeeze more out of me. Hope I'm wrong.
Well you're definitely not going into this blindly. Hopefully I'm just being over cautious. I just don't like seeing anyone get burned.

Quote:
The dumbass probably is still financing the car and needs him to pay the remainder of the car off before he can purchase his new one probably.
You read my mind Neo, I was actually thinking about that after I finished my last post.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:41 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Well you're definitely not going into this blindly. Hopefully I'm just being over cautious. I just don't like seeing anyone get burned.

You read my mind Neo, I actually was thinking about that after I finished my last post.
Far from overly cautious. In my experiences with this type of thing there really is no such thing as overly cautious. You learn this after being burned a couple times. (general statement not specific to cars but big ticket items in general/used stuff)

Old
10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Far from overly cautious. In my experiences with this type of thing there really is no such thing as overly cautious. You learn this after being burned a couple times. (general statement not specific to cars but big ticket items in general/used stuff)
I totally agree, I've never been burned on a car deal before. I did get burned on a property I purchased years ago. Ever since I look at anyone I'm about to do business with as a potential crook.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

You read my mind Neo, I was actually thinking about that after I finished my last post.
I called the dealer and here is why he wants to do it:

I have to pay taxes on the car -- and in this case I'll be paying 2 taxes. He then gets credit for these taxes. Normally, when done private, I pay only 1 tax.

Example, the car is sold for 10,000 K .. that means I have to pay 1300 in taxes. The seller now gets a credit for 11300 on his new car. He saves more money this way than if I were to give him just 10,000 and pay the taxes directly with the govt. If I did it with the govt, he'd only save 10,000.

I'm going to now tell the guy that if he wants this arrangement he has to pay me back the 2nd taxes.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Cool. The 2008 redesign was really nice. I suppose you have the sedan? or did you buy the coupe?

Quote:
Yah, I understand. Just making sure though. I'm not sure if I like the crosstour. I'd probably have to try it to decide.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I called the dealer and here is why he wants to do it:

I have to pay taxes on the car -- and in this case I'll be paying 2 taxes. He then gets credit for these taxes. Normally, when done private, I pay only 1 tax.

Example, the car is sold for 10,000 K .. that means I have to pay 1300 in taxes. The seller now gets a credit for 11300 on his new car. He saves more money this way than if I were to give him just 10,000 and pay the taxes directly with the govt. If I did it with the govt, he'd only save 10,000.

I'm going to now tell the guy that if he wants this arrangement he has to pay me back the 2nd taxes.
What an ass, it totally slipped my mind about the taxes. The fact that this jerk didn't tell you his intentions ahead of time would cause me to walk from this deal if I were you.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
What an ass, it totally slipped my mind about the taxes. The fact that this jerk didn't tell you his intentions ahead of time would cause me to walk from this deal if I were you.
Ya, he said he'll be saving money but he forgot to mention that i'll be spending more

I'll see what he says when he calls.

Old
10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Ya, he said he'll be saving money but he forgot to mention that i'll be spending more

I glanced through the thread and now I'm confused, at first didn't you want an AWD? lol

Old
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Guiness time

I'm actually considering to buy a new accord...anyone have any feedback on it?....or recommend a particular dealer?

Guiness time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
I'm actually considering to buy a new accord...anyone have any feedback on it?....or recommend a particular dealer?
Which model you looking at? Coupe/sedan? V6/I4? Luxury/base?

Old
10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Yeah it must have just "slipped" his mind.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

Old
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I glanced through the thread and now I'm confused, at first didn't you want an AWD? lol
ya, I still want AWD really... it's just the ones I tested were lemons, and it's so time consuming to find a good one with low mileage in my budget and maybe I'm just giving up lol.

Buying an Accord is more piece of mind than anything -- won't have to worry about repairs, I know what to expect with honda.

Watch me end up with a sooped up lada now

Old
10-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Hugo Sham

hey guys some very informative responses in here so i thought i'd post too. I'm thinking of buying a more higher end car - second hand -
i've narrowed it down to one of these four..

Volvo c60 R 2007-2008

lexus 250 all wheel drive

Infinite G35X or G37X 4 door sedan AWD. 2008...

Audi A4 Quattro S Line 2008 6 speed manual.

any thoughts or preferences? anyone have any of these - or know which is best on used arts etc? all feedback appreciated.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
My dad has an automatic sedan v6. It's amazing, best car he's ever owned in that class. (He's had some crazy muscle cars when he was younger which would obviously top the accord v6 LOL)

Old
10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
ya, I still want AWD really... it's just the ones I tested were lemons, and it's so time consuming to find a good one with low mileage in my budget and maybe I'm just giving up lol.

Buying an Accord is more piece of mind than anything -- won't have to worry about repairs, I know what to expect with honda.

Watch me end up with a sooped up lada now
I glanced on x website for older accords. There was 2006 for 9-10k plus tax and I think i saw a 2005 accord with 97k km for under 7k plus tax. I don't think they were luxurious models, not sure but I think first had heated seats though. Just for reference that there's similar deals out there.