HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild Fan Possible Lawsuit? How would you react?

Old
10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
what it comes down to is that it's his patriotic duty to not bog down the court system with a greedy cash grab when real cases can get dealt with.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I would press charges

I dont go to hockey games to be roughed up by 4th line goon.

Frankly if the NHL wants this to go away they need to come down hard on Rypien (Which I think they will) and make sure this fan is compensated to go away (Tickets make sense)

You cant have out of control animals like Rypien embarrassing the NHL (Punching a defenseless player , shoving official and pushing his own captain were embarrssing enough before he went after fan)

The video evidance shows that Rypien was 100% in wrong in both the rules of NHL and legal law

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:08 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I would like to sue HF for letting this stupid thread get started. Teach the kid right and just walk away. Is this the mentality that people really have? You talk smack on the street and you get your a$$ beat, you want to play, you gotta pay. It is like the tough internet guy, talk smack but in reality they would never be so bold, the anonymity makes people feel safe.
Hopefully, you realize the irony of your post, especially the last sentence.

Well played.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
(...) Honestly I think the ones who are most at fault here is the Wild organization for having such low barricades where those fans were sitting.
To protect the fans from the players?

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:43 AM
agrudez*

Anyone who claims they wouldn't threaten legal action to get lifetime season tickets and a cash settlement is lying to themselves.

If you found 20 dollars on the street I bet you wouldn't pick it up, either.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:50 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I think I'd want what Tie Domi's buddy here in Philly got - a handshake and a laugh.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:06 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup
I dont go to hockey games to be roughed up by 4th line goon.
Where do you usually go to get roughed up by a 4th line goon?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Anyone who claims they wouldn't threaten legal action to get lifetime season tickets and a cash settlement is lying to themselves.

I'd pick the $20 up off the street for sure. I wouldn't file a lawsuit. It costs a lot of money to sue some one and even if you win, there's no telling how much money you'll get. You could sue and be awarded less money than it cost to pay your lawyer. Not to mention it's cowardly thing to do, considering the kid wasn't even hurt.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
But what action really occurred? Suck it up and move on. As I said, the only beef this kid should have is that the awning was not set up and thus they allowed this interaction to occur. Otherwise the kid needss to be held acountable for his part of the action.

Quote:
Take that a step further. Say you found a $100 bill on the ground and you picked it up, no one around, but then you took a couple steps and saw a woman with a baby looking in her wallet and all around her frantically(like she lost some money), would you step up and ask her if you could help and if she said she just lost $100 would you give it to her?

Last edited by Cartsiephan*: 10-22-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not to mention it's cowardly thing to do, considering the kid wasn't even hurt.
I won't disagree with that, but it is also a part of the ****ed up landscape our judicial system has evolved into.

I wouldn't sue McDonald's for spilling coffee on myself, but suing a player for assaulting me for no reason doesn't seem too bad to me.

He would most assuredly get awarded more money than the suit would cost him, btw. Not to mention it would never even make it to court because the league would step in and force a settlement.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I'd pick the $20 up off the street for sure. I wouldn't file a lawsuit. It costs a lot of money to sue some one and even if you win, there's no telling how much money you'll get. You could sue and be awarded less money than it cost to pay your lawyer. Not to mention it's cowardly thing to do, considering the kid wasn't even hurt.
I agree with this.

I also like your avatar.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Take that a step further. Say you found a $100 bill on the ground and you picked it up, no one around, but then you took a couple steps and saw a woman with a baby looking in her wallet and all around her frantically(like she lost some money), would you step up and ask her if you could help and if she said she just lost $100 would you give it to her?
Of course I would give the money back, I set my hypothetical up so that it was a victimless crime to better emulate the proposed scenario.

Should this kid "spare" this poor, impoverished professional hockey player who decided to assault him for no just reason?

Old
10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Of course I would give the money back, I set my hypothetical up so that it was a victimless crime to better emulate the proposed scenario.

Should this kid "spare" this poor, impoverished professional hockey player who decided to assault him for no just reason?
I agree with the above poster who said any monetary penalty should be given to a charity. Or just punish Rypien with community service.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I agree with the above poster who said any monetary penalty should be given to a charity. Or just punish Rypien with community service.
As a college kid who is in school full time and has to work near full time to make sure my rent, tuition, etc. checks don't bounce each month I consider myself a charity.

The kid should take advantage of the cards life has dealt him. Like I said, this isn't someone suing McDonald's for spilling coffee on themselves and it being too hot.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I won't disagree with that, but it is also a part of the ****ed up landscape our judicial system has evolved into.

I wouldn't sue McDonald's for spilling coffee on myself, but suing a player for assaulting me for no reason doesn't seem too bad to me.

He would most assuredly get awarded more money than the suit would cost him, btw. Not to mention it would never even make it to court because the league would step in and force a settlement.
No he wouldn't. Not everyone that sues someone wins or gets millions of dollars. Just because you sue for $1 million the jury normally comes up with amount of money you get and considering the kid wasn't injured and doubtfully suffered any "pain and suffering" the jury wouldn't necessarily come back with a large settlement. In order to get money for the "pain and suffering" he may have suffered he'd actually have to show that that occurred. Not sure how many lawsuits you've been a part of, but you don't just go into court and say he hit me give me $1 million!

Old
10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
No he wouldn't. Not everyone that sues someone wins or gets millions of dollars. Just because you sue for $1 million the jury normally comes up with amount of money you get and considering the kid wasn't injured and doubtfully suffered any "pain and suffering" the jury wouldn't necessarily come back with a large settlement. In order to get money for the "pain and suffering" he may have suffered he'd actually have to show that that occurred. Not sure how many lawsuits you've been a part of, but you don't just go into court and say he hit me give me $1 million!
Who said 1 million? I would be VERY surprised if the settelment was in the 6 figure range, but still MORE than enough to pay your lawyer, as I said.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Who said 1 million? I would be VERY surprised if the settelment was in the 6 figure range, but still MORE than enough to pay your lawyer, as I said.
Yeah but that is still not the case. It can easily cost thousands of dollars to file a lawsuit, while the jury could easily come back and say ok, Rypien or the Wild or whoever he wound up suing are liable and the plaintiff wins and gets the value of the tickets for that night's game or something like that. That is certainly not unheard of, and like I said, since the kid wasn't hurt and likely didn't suffer any pain and suffering, it is more than possible that this would happen. It is by no means guaranteed that he'll get more than it costs, unless he works on a contingency fee, and if you wind up splitting the cost of those tickets, he'll walk away with like $200 or something.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Was the kid really injured or is he just looking to get some easy cash because it is an easy mark? Does that make it more right because it is a professional hockey player who has money to make an easy settlement? The best way to take this is to learn the lesson and next time a player is walking by you and you makes some gesture or make some remark expect some form of retaliation.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
The best way to take this is to learn the lesson and next time a player is walking by you and you makes some gesture or make some remark expect some form of retaliation.
So a player should be able to go after a fan, anytime a professional athlete hears anything remotely close to a negative reaction?

I do agree with you that this incident shouldn't result in a huge payday for the fan. But like it or not, it is the professional athlete's responsibility to control himself and understand that heckling is part of the fan experience, and that it doesn't mean a damn thing off the ice.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Yeah but that is still not the case. It can easily cost thousands of dollars to file a lawsuit, while the jury could easily come back and say ok, Rypien or the Wild or whoever he wound up suing are liable and the plaintiff wins and gets the value of the tickets for that night's game or something like that. That is certainly not unheard of, and like I said, since the kid wasn't hurt and likely didn't suffer any pain and suffering, it is more than possible that this would happen. It is by no means guaranteed that he'll get more than it costs, unless he works on a contingency fee, and if you wind up splitting the cost of those tickets, he'll walk away with like $200 or something.
Not to mention appeals...

Old
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
So a player should be able to go after a fan, anytime a professional athlete hears anything remotely close to a negative reaction?

I do agree with you that this incident shouldn't result in a huge payday for the fan. But like it or not, it is the professional athlete's responsibility to control himself and understand that heckling is part of the fan experience, and that it doesn't mean a damn thing off the ice.
Please stop making sense.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
MrHockey1982

What if that fan was a girl or a child? Would it just be something to look past then? I don't think so.

If you watch it again, even though the fan was unharmed, Rypien lunged at him in an attacking manner. The fan did nothing except clap and yell something to him. The fan never deserves that no matter what is said. Rypien is going to get a big time suspension and I don't blame the kid at all for persuing legal action.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Was the kid really injured or is he just looking to get some easy cash because it is an easy mark? Does that make it more right because it is a professional hockey player who has money to make an easy settlement? The best way to take this is to learn the lesson and next time a player is walking by you and you makes some gesture or make some remark expect some form of retaliation.

I am really starting to question your judgement. Could you imagine if every single time a fan said something to a professional athelete that there was retaliation??? Come on man. Think about it.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
What the dude wants (I'm sure) and what would happen (almost certainly) is that the NHL would settle before it ever got to court assuming the request was reasonable. The last thing the NHL needs is SC running clips of the incident while they are in court over that stupidity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What the dude wants (I'm sure) and what would happen (almost certainly) is that the NHL would settle before it ever got to court assuming the request was reasonable. The last thing the NHL needs is SC running clips of the incident while they are in court over that stupidity.
I doubt it. The NHL couldn't force Rypien to settle for sure, and likely wouldn't force Minnesota to settle because like I said, I don't think whoever is sued would be liable for a large sum of money, and I doubt that Sportcenter would really care. The kid wasn't injured or anything, so if anything, this is only going to make the kid look bad (or Rypien, but if he has to pay $200, no one will care), not the NHL.