HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-22-2010, 10:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
My dad has an automatic sedan v6. It's amazing, best car he's ever owned in that class. (He's had some crazy muscle cars when he was younger which would obviously top the accord v6 LOL)
Don't depress me, I have the I4.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:30 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
hey guys some very informative responses in here so i thought i'd post too. I'm thinking of buying a more higher end car - second hand -
i've narrowed it down to one of these four..

Volvo c60 R 2007-2008

lexus 250 all wheel drive

Infinite G35X or G37X 4 door sedan AWD. 2008...

Audi A4 Quattro S Line 2008 6 speed manual.

any thoughts or preferences? anyone have any of these - or know which is best on used arts etc? all feedback appreciated.
Personally I'd go with the lexus or infinity but I'm a big G35/G37 fan and also I love japanese cars.

The A4 is still nice though. Only company I'd never get a car from is Volvo so in that sense I'm very bias.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Personally I'd go with the lexus or infinity but I'm a big G35/G37 fan and also I love japanese cars.

The A4 is still nice though. Only company I'd never get a car from is Volvo so in that sense I'm very bias.
Why not Volvo? I'm actually considering them.. I love the retro square design.. aren't they super solid?

I hear bad things about Audi.

And do the Japanase ever make a bad car???

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Guiness time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Which model you looking at? Coupe/sedan? V6/I4? Luxury/base?
sedan....ex or lx. actually the honda website gives 0.9% financing for the lx....but 5.65% for the ex, so i'm definitely leaning towards the lx. I find this rather funny, comes out to the same price but u get more options.

Guiness time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
hey guys some very informative responses in here so i thought i'd post too. I'm thinking of buying a more higher end car - second hand -
i've narrowed it down to one of these four..

Volvo c60 R 2007-2008

Infinite G35X or G37X 4 door sedan AWD. 2008...

Audi A4 Quattro S Line 2008 6 speed manual.

any thoughts or preferences? anyone have any of these - or know which is best on used arts etc? all feedback appreciated.
The lexus is prob the most reliable. The audi a4 is underrated and nice car. The infinity isn't that nice as a sedan to be honest, but for looks i'd still choose it over 250, but i think 250's interior is nicer. I won't lie, I don't know much about Volvos but I don't find the appeal I guess. That's all i really know, I never drove them.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
CHill Seeker

thanks a lot but you guys are also killing me.

lots of informative but 'wide' responses...
how would you rank them 1-4?

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Why not Volvo? I'm actually considering them.. I love the retro square design.. aren't they super solid?

I hear bad things about Audi.

And do the Japanase ever make a bad car???
Just never liked them really. Never liked the way they look to be honest and I've heard they're among the worst for parts and labor.

I'm not a huge Audi fan either but the cars themselves are great, again though parts and labor nightmare. However I like the designs of their cars and the engines so I'd still recommend one for someone who has the buck to maintain it.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
sedan....ex or lx. actually the honda website gives 0.9% financing for the lx....but 5.65% for the ex, so i'm definitely leaning towards the lx. I find this rather funny, comes out to the same price but u get more options.
How do you get more options? The lx is the lower model compared to the ex. BTW, when i do it, i get 0.9 for either one. Unless I'm missing something? If you're not looking for leather, much better to go for LX i think. You pay 4k extra for sunroof, 17 inch wheels, security system and something else I think. I don't want to say security system isn't important, but if you sherlock it, most ppl are already turned off to rob it anyway.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
thanks a lot but you guys are also killing me.

lots of informative but 'wide' responses...
how would you rank them 1-4?
Depends the price and features of course. All i know is, unless volvo is dirt cheap it comes last for me.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
neofury*

Lol fun thread for car nerds. Anyways this is the order I personally would choose:

Infinite G35X or G37X 4 door sedan AWD. 2008
Audi A4 Quattro S Line 2008 6 speed manual
Volvo c60 R 2007-2008

If the lexus is automatic switch it with the Audi A4 as I much prefer manual, but the G37 is the G37 plain and simple, but like someone else said the coupes are so much nicer.

Thing is though I prefer practicality. Yeah sure I want a Challenger SRT8 but when you start paying 40-50k for a sports car you no longer give a **** about practicality. When you're paying 1-30k for a car imo it factors in a lot more. For lower end cars I prefer 4 door, for high end I prefer the sexy coupe models because you're already paying a lot for the car you may as well take the one that looks sexiest.

That having been said the only car in the 30-35k range I'd get as a coupe is the Accord V6 Manual, why because its the closest thing to a prelude which I love (not as good mind you) and I don't want to pay to fix one up. The only sad thing is the car looks so sick but the civic si which is 4 cylinder and 100 horses less (might be 70 less going on memory) is actually faster. I remember the prelude used to basically be the 2 door version of the accord but better.

I really wish they'd bring back the prelude. But yeah it's basically the only car in that price range I'd sacrifice practicality for appeal. It's just so sexy, wish my dad had gotten the coupe

Have you considered looking for a 90s Si coupe? Would be a fun car to beat in the winter LOL don't be surprised if you start driving it in the summer too though.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
you also have the option of getting a used luxury car, only 2 or 3 years old with lets say 40-60,000 KM, for the same price of a new accord... I THINK.. confirm with others on here / online.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
How do you get more options? The lx is the lower model compared to the ex. BTW, when i do it, i get 0.9 for either one. Unless I'm missing something? If you're not looking for leather, much better to go for LX i think. You pay 4k extra for sunroof, 17 inch wheels, security system and something else I think. I don't want to say security system isn't important, but if you sherlock it, most ppl are already turned off to rob it anyway.
Yeah always etch any new car, you won't have a problem. I drive one of the most stolen cars in Montreal and I've never even once come to find my car broken into let alone stolen. My aunt has a Toyota Venza (another top stolen vehicle in Montreal) and it's been stolen many times, not etching.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Depends the price and features of course. All i know is, unless volvo is dirt cheap it comes last for me.
good question -- i want to go 'luxury' as much as possible, thus go high end instead of brand new cheaper car. features? as much as possible, in the 30k range

Old
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Lol fun thread for car nerds.
That just made me laugh because I love car threads but i don't know all that much about the technologies and I couldn't even change the oil if my life depended on it... and to me nerd means you have some qualifications lol

I also get so impatient when it comes to handy things that my gf has to assemble ikea furniture for me

Old
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
neofury*

Quote:
you also have the option of getting a used luxury car, only 2 or 3 years old with lets say 40-60,000 KM, for the same price of a new accord... I THINK.. confirm with others on here / online.
Personally I would look into Acura over Lexus, Infinity, Audi, Volvo, etc. I don't know why Acura hasn't been mentioned in this thread. For a luxery series car they're the most reliable, they're also the best bang for buck and the cheapest to maintain.

I mean personally I know lexus might throw in a ton more options that for the most part are perks but nothing direly needed, but with Acura you always get something really fun to drive, really good value for the dollar imo.

Maybe a used acura CSX?

Old
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Lol fun thread for car nerds. Anyways this is the order I personally would choose:

Infinite G35X or G37X 4 door sedan AWD. 2008
Audi A4 Quattro S Line 2008 6 speed manual
Volvo c60 R 2007-2008

If the lexus is automatic switch it with the Audi A4 as I much prefer manual, but the G37 is the G37 plain and simple, but like someone else said the coupes are so much nicer.

Thing is though I prefer practicality. Yeah sure I want a Challenger SRT8 but when you start paying 40-50k for a sports car you no longer give a **** about practicality. When you're paying 1-30k for a car imo it factors in a lot more. For lower end cars I prefer 4 door, for high end I prefer the sexy coupe models because you're already paying a lot for the car you may as well take the one that looks sexiest.

That having been said the only car in the 30-35k range I'd get as a coupe is the Accord V6 Manual, why because its the closest thing to a prelude which I love (not as good mind you) and I don't want to pay to fix one up. The only sad thing is the car looks so sick but the civic si which is 4 cylinder and 100 horses less (might be 70 less going on memory) is actually faster. I remember the prelude used to basically be the 2 door version of the accord but better.

I really wish they'd bring back the prelude. But yeah it's basically the only car in that price range I'd sacrifice practicality for appeal. It's just so sexy, wish my dad had gotten the coupe

Have you considered looking for a 90s Si coupe? Would be a fun car to beat in the winter LOL don't be surprised if you start driving it in the summer too though.
thx fury. yes the lexus is automatic...and all these cars are of course more expensive than 30-35k BUT 2nd hand--esp. the 2008 models i can get for that price range..

si you mean honda? i guess that question isn't for me lol

Old
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
neofury*

Quote:
That just made me laugh because I love car threads but i don't know all that much about the technologies and I couldn't even change the oil if my life depended on it... and to me nerd means you have some qualifications lol

I also get so impatient when it comes to handy things that my gf has to assemble ikea furniture for me
Just because you love cars and are into Japanese cars, German cars, American cars, cars in general whatever it may be, doesn't mean you've gotta be a mechanic.

I don't change my own oil either but I still love cars.

Quick question, anyone here an audiophile whose knowledgeable about car audio? I've been looking on here for a long time to find someone but threads I post in Entertainment always go unnoticed

Old
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
thx fury. yes the lexus is automatic...and all these cars are of course more expensive than 30-35k BUT 2nd hand--esp. the 2008 models i can get for that price range..

si you mean honda? i guess that question isn't for me lol
Yeah my bad, I'm combining two convos at once now because I have this bad habit of not doing multi. Going to do my best to start improving that lol... this thread alone I think h10h has had to merge a dozen of my posts. Trying to answer two things at once but not doing multiple properly and just answering in the same post.

For you I'd say an Acura CSX or CSX Type S used would be better and more reliable than all those cars you named, and leaps and bounds cheaper.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:58 AM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Yeah my bad, I'm combining two convos at once now because I have this bad habit of not doing multi. Going to do my best to start improving that lol... this thread alone I think h10h has had to merge a dozen of my posts. Trying to answer two things at once but not doing multiple properly and just answering in the same post.

For you I'd say an Acura CSX or CSX Type S used would be better and more reliable than all those cars you named, and leaps and bounds cheaper.
really? better than the 4 i mentioned?

Old
10-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Guiness time

Quote:
maybe i miss wrote it...but the one with 0.9% financing when u buy it has the sun roof and other options....where as the other one doesn't have those options but has 5.65%. i'll try the site again, anyhow, i'll be going to visit honda dealer next week & i'll get the low down.

as for buying a used car for the same price...i rather simply get a new car with a nice warranty & i figured an accord was a solid bet. i innitially was looking at a vw golf family car but I've heard nothing but horror stories with problems from transmission to electrical system/wiring. so honda's the next choice at the moment.

Guiness time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
coolasprICE

Isn't the Acura CSX the one that looks like a civic?

I wouldn't get an acura that looks like a civic , just get the civic lol

Old
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
syc

Quote:
The lexus is prob the most reliable. The audi a4 is underrated and nice car. The infinity isn't that nice as a sedan to be honest, but for looks i'd still choose it over 250, but i think 250's interior is nicer. I won't lie, I don't know much about Volvos but I don't find the appeal I guess. That's all i really know, I never drove them.
The A4 is not underrated, if anything it's over rated. The S4 is the audi that's under rated!

I've driven the A4 and the 250AWD and without question the Lexus is better. Infinity is Nissan and well Nissan makes crap. Reliable bad handling cars that don't hold resale.

Get the 250 and you won't regret it. Just watch out for the costs of those options, lexus like to take customers to the cleaners when it comes to options.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
The A4 is not underrated, if anything it's over rated. The S4 is the audi that's under rated!

I've driven the A4 and the 250AWD and without question the Lexus is better. Infinity is Nissan and well Nissan makes crap. Reliable bad handling cars that don't hold resale.

Get the 250 and you won't regret it. Just watch out for the costs of those options, lexus like to take customers to the cleaners when it comes to options.
thx syc - you would take the lexus of the 4? reliable? is it the most costly to repair though?

Old
10-22-2010, 11:10 AM
neofury*

Quote:
really? better than the 4 i mentioned?
For the money you will likely pay, probably. I'd do a quick search just to find out but I thought even a new CSX was pretty cheap. Not sure they make them anymore still though so might have to be used but if I remember correctly you could probably get the CSX Type S (highest end one) for the same price almost as you'd pay for some other used luxery cars lol.

I'd say it's the Acura equivalent of the 250, might not be better than a G37 in terms of luxery/performance though. The G37 is like 300HP but the Acura is a 4 cylinder 200hp beast. I wonder if the G37 is really that much faster, I know in terms of luxery it's definitely better, but that's not sleight on Acura really, Acura and Infinity are probably my two faves out of the luxery brands. BMW is actually pretty competitive now too and they have really nice cars now too, their newer gen cars look a lot nice then their past models in most cases. Might be worthwhile to see what you can find from BMW or Acura as I think you might be able to get better bang for buck.

It all depends on what you want though. Do you like to drive fast? Do you like luxery to the point of ridiculousness like lexus? Cause Lexus you really can get a lot of crazy options in some of their models, they're really leet but I don't know that I'd pay the difference in price. (Cars that parallel park themselves lol)

Also not sure if the 250 is really that great, the is350 was sick but I'm not sold on the 250. It's likely their version of the CSX, not sure on what the resell value of both would be though haven't looked, might be the 250 is cheaper. (After a quick look it's definitely the CSX equivalent, differences are RWD + 205HP v6 vs FWD + 200hp 4 cylinder) It's very debatable imo too cause the price is really there. Have you considered a new 250?

With Lexus you're getting performance and luxery, high end I'd say. (Save maybe the 250)
Same with Infinity. (Including the g37)
With Volvo not really sure cause volvo has never interested me, always hated their designs.
With Audi it's all about the german engineering, they do have some models like Acura that are pretty affordable and worth while.

I'm a Japanese technology guy. I love those import ricers like to me a dream car (ultimate) would be a fully pimped Supra, Skyline, Prelude, CRX, Accord EX-R, G37s, anything Japanese tweaked to the fullest of its potential. For a realistic car I could maybe one day get though it's gotta be American muscle. To be honest the only cars that generally don't interest me are lower end American and most German, but I've been a lot more impressed with Audi and BMW in recent time. In other words I'm all over the place but would likely never buy German personally.

Old
10-22-2010, 11:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Isn't the Acura CSX the one that looks like a civic?

I wouldn't get an acura that looks like a civic , just get the civic lol
Yeah but it's almost the same price and you get leather and other luxery options. Plus if I'm not mistaken the body is a bit tweaked. Somewhere in between the civic and the civic si mugen version, something like that.

It does look like a civic but the dude wants luxery, the 250 and the CSX-S are probably two of the best bang for buck luxery+sport you can find.

I mean one could just as easily say "Don't buy the 250 just get the Sentra SER"

Last edited by neofury*: 10-22-2010 at 11:35 AM.