HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

james van riemsdyk

Old
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
nuclear reactor

vCash: 500
james van riemsdyk

People are super sensitive about criticism of Van Riemsdyk and he has certainly looked very good this year. Yet, his lack of finishing ability continues to frustrate me (although that does apply to quite a few Flyers right now).

He has scored few goals at the professional level, and I wouldn't mind seeing him go down to the AHL for a weekend of games and try to score some goals in 2-3 games. It might give him some confidence. Perhaps this could be done during a lull in the Flyers schedule. Do you like this idea?

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
People are super sensitive about criticism of Van Riemsdyk and he has certainly looked very good this year. Yet, his lack of finishing ability continues to frustrate me (although that does apply to quite a few Flyers right now).

He has scored few goals at the professional level, and I wouldn't mind seeing him go down to the AHL for a weekend of games and try to score some goals in 2-3 games. It might give him some confidence. Perhaps this could be done during a lull in the Flyers schedule. Do you like this idea?
Terrible idea. His newfound strength has enabled him to generate a lot of attack off of the cycle and he's been fighting his way into the slot more often. When nobody on the team is finishing, singling him out and sending him down like that is an embarrassment, not a confidence boost.

It's also 5 games into the season.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Terrible idea. His newfound strength has enabled him to generate a lot of attack off of the cycle and he's been fighting his way into the slot more often. When nobody on the team is finishing, singling him out and sending him down like that is an embarrassment, not a confidence boost.

It's also 5 games into the season.
Exactly.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Mgkibbles

Lets send Mike Richards down too while we're at it.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Cartsiephan*

He is still young and figuring out the NHL game, it is much different to pot goals in teh NCAA than it is to convert in the NHL. But he has the skills and they will come. Need to see him stick around the net a little more, just be a big nuisance and use his stick reach fro rebounds. Kids is showing he is making improvements in his game which is more than I can say about the "core" vets.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Newsflash.

We are averaging 2.17 GF/G, 25th in the NHL.

The last time we were scoring this little we went 0-10-2.

Right now we're 2-3-1. Not time to panic and throw people under the bus. It's time to separate Richards and Carter.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
RoDu

it's hard to single out any one single player when the goals have been far and few in between

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Newsflash.

We are averaging 2.17 GF/G, 25th in the NHL.

The last time we were scoring this little we went 0-10-2.

Right now we're 2-3-1. Not time to panic and throw people under the bus. It's time to separate Richards and Carter.
I feel that if the PP was even half-functional that discussions involving JVR, Carter, and Richards would be non-existent.

People really do forget just how special teams oriented the current NHL is. Isn't something on the order of 35-40% of scoring due to a PP? There is a reason that the Flyers often have been a very mediocre team at even strength yet put up great goal totals and made the playoffs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I feel that if the PP was even half-functional that discussions involving JVR, Carter, and Richards would be non-existent.
If the PP was functional we'd at least be 5-1-0, possibly 6-0-0.

That's not realistic, but you have to expect that if our powerplay was operating at last year's standards, we'd have 6 powerplay goals by now instead of 2.

That takes us from 13 goals scored in 6 games to 17; from 2.17 to 2.83.

It's still not the over 3.00 that we're used to though.

The 10 teams right now that are 3.00 and over are: DAL, PIT, MIN, NYI, NYR, BOS, TBL, DET, CHI, and TOR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
People really do forget just how special teams oriented the current NHL is. Isn't something on the order of 35-40% of scoring due to a PP? There is a reason that the Flyers often have been a very mediocre team at even strength yet put up great goal totals and made the playoffs.
I'm not worried only because this is mainly PP based. It's much easier to play with a lead than behind, and we've never been the best EV team in the NHL. The truth is that Carter and Richards really need to get split up on EV. We're wasting an entire line on that philosophy, and we need to get the PP going.

Unless everyone on our team has significantly regressed, this is not a club that has any chance of scoring under 3.00 goals a game by the end of the season. It's just absurd to believe that we don't have a top flight offense with this roster.

Old
10-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Jtown

Quote:
If the PP was functional we'd at least be 5-1-0, possibly 6-0-0.

That's not realistic, but you have to expect that if our powerplay was operating at last year's standards, we'd have 6 powerplay goals by now instead of 2.

That takes us from 13 goals scored in 6 games to 17; from 2.17 to 2.83.

It's still not the over 3.00 that we're used to though.

The 10 teams right now that are 3.00 and over are: DAL, PIT, MIN, NYI, NYR, BOS, TBL, DET, CHI, and TOR.

I'm not worried only because this is mainly PP based. It's much easier to play with a lead than behind, and we've never been the best EV team in the NHL. The truth is that Carter and Richards really need to get split up on EV. We're wasting an entire line on that philosophy, and we need to get the PP going.

Unless everyone on our team has significantly regressed, this is not a club that has any chance of scoring under 3.00 goals a game by the end of the season. It's just absurd to believe that we don't have a top flight offense with this roster.

Id say with the exception of a couple of teams , min and tor, we will always be behind those teams, and some that arent on that list (nj and sj). I think its just how we are constructed. We really dont have any elite play makers like a getzlaf or a brad richards. We have a collection of talented two way players with a focus on defense.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Id say with the exception of a couple of teams , min and tor, we will always be behind those teams, and some that arent on that list (nj and sj). I think its just how we are constructed. We really dont have any elite play makers like a getzlaf or a brad richards. We have a collection of talented two way players with a focus on defense.
You mean like Richards, who is only a season and a half removed from 50 assists?

Or Giroux, who clearly is the most gifted passer on the whole team?

Or Briere and Zherdev and Leino, who certainly have some passing skills?

Or vanRiemsdyk, who isn't a slouch in that regard either?

We have plenty of people who can pass. We need our finishers (outside of Briere, who's been doing a good job getting the puck in the net so far) like Carter, Richards, Hartnell, and vanRiemsdyk, to start putting the freaking pucks in the net.

To quote the Mighty Ducks: BANG HOME THE JUNK!

Really, that's all we need to do.

As for the teams on that list, the only teams that should have more goals per game than us by the end of the are DET and MAYBE CHI, TBL, and/or PIT. Our offense is that good. Right now they're not demonstrating that though.

Old
10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd actually be curious to see how JVR fared on RW. I mean, he has such a great shot and is a great passer, but when he comes in on the LW he doesn't have the space to do anything of that stuff.

Just a thought...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:13 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd actually be curious to see how JVR fared on RW. I mean, he has such a great shot and is a great passer, but when he comes in on the LW he doesn't have the space to do anything of that stuff.

Just a thought...
I'd be curious to see how that works as well. When he happens to be over on that side coming up the rush, he seems to be able to generate from it pretty consistently, in those rare occasions.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I am very critical of him not finishing, but sending him to the AHL is a horrible idea.

He needs to find his scoring touch at the NHL level, not the AHL level. He looks to have vastly improved in speed and strength from last year, now all he needs to work on is creating/finding open space.

You can see he has all the tools to become a big time scorer, but he seems to let up so he is not caught to much behind the play. I think putting him on Richards line would give him a mental break on his defensive game.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:10 PM
BroadStreetTyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

Just a thought...
I like that idea... definitely give him a shot. We have so many players that can play more than one position, just need to keep shuffling the deck.

BroadStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetTyrant View Post
I like that idea... definitely give him a shot. We have so many players that can play more than one position, just need to keep shuffling the deck.
I disagree. I think you need to decide what the lines are and leave them the hell alone while everyone figures out how to play together. I can't recall how many very skillful individual plays I have seen this early into the season that led to nothing because of guys not being on the same page. That is bound to happen, but if the lines get set and left alone (barring injury), I think our even strength offense will be fine. The combo of players that Lavi has, it would be tough to screw things up entirely.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Jtown

Quote:
You mean like Richards, who is only a season and a half removed from 50 assists?

We have plenty of people who can pass. We need our finishers (outside of Briere, who's been doing a good job getting the puck in the net so far) like Carter, Richards, Hartnell, and vanRiemsdyk, to start putting the freaking pucks in the net.

As for the teams on that list, the only teams that should have more goals per game than us by the end of the are DET and MAYBE CHI, TBL, and/or PIT. Our offense is that good. Right now they're not demonstrating that though.

as much as i appreciate your optimism, a rarity in philly sports, im starting to think that richards 80 point season is more of an outlier than it is a typical season for him. I watch other teams that posses a player with size speed and soft hand, and it seems that the offense flows through guys like that. And right now we dont have a player with all those skills. IM not saying that we cant win or put up big numbers with our players, but imagine if we had a guy like brad richards on the power play. I believe things would be much smoother, and scorers like briere and carter would benefit greatly.

Or it could be just a funk we are in, and we start lighting it up tonight against the maple leafs. Then disregard all comments by me.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he always seem to just get shots from bad angles after driving wide

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
jb**

Quote:

The flyers have struggled to socre goals 5 on 5 for several years now. This isnt shocking nor new. They go as their power play goes. They are below average team 5 on 5 for whatever reason. They live and die by their power play.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
nuclear reactor

How did Van Riemsdyk look last night? I didn't catch the game and saw some grumblings on the game discussion about his play.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
How did Van Riemsdyk look last night? I didn't catch the game and saw some grumblings on the game discussion about his play.
JVR - Carter - Zherdev was terrible.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
JVR - Carter - Zherdev was terrible.
Yes it was. Like I said in the game thread,

JVR - Richards - Giroux
Powe - Carter - Zherdev

Would be better. JVR is too good to be getting lost on a line with two puck hogs.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:22 PM
nuclear reactor

Another dud for Van Riemsdyk tonight. To those saying he is in a slump, I totally agree with you - 4 goals in his last 51 games. I hear there is a spot on the Phantoms top line now that Maroon is gone...

Old
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
MsWoof

JvR had some chances, he had a good start and some quiet games, he'll pick it up again. I think that until the lines settle down a few players are going to have some issues.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I feel like demoting him would only hurt his confidence

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote