HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dreger reporting that Bieksa will be traded / Montreal scouting for D

Old
10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Seriously how are the Habs going to get him?
Canucks need to dump salary and the Habs cant take anyone WITHOUT dumping some back...
this has zero shot of happening

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
I don't see what we can give them in return and both teams are up against the cap.
Yeah, I have not yet seen a practical, sensible suggestion as to what a deal for Bieksa could involve. It doesn't seem like a realistic fit at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Video doesn't say Montreal has been scouting Vancouver games.

Dreger says that Gauthier was spotted in Chicago but that that's not unusual for him. He then says rumours from other GMs would seem to indicate that Gauthier is looking for help on the blue line, at which point Dreger throws out Kevin Bieksa as a guy rumoured to be on the move.
I just don't see how we finagle "help on the blueline" in pretty much any scenario. We're kind of locked into off-season moves there, I think. I mean, our starting 6, once healthy is pretty much immutable... Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Subban, Gorges, Gill... how do you budge anybody out of that group? And then if you tried to upgrade Picard/O'Byrne, how much would that really help?

The team seems to play fine on D when needed, when healthy. But timely scoring punch is more what is lacking now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Seriously how are the Habs going to get him?
Canucks need to dump salary and the Habs cant take anyone WITHOUT dumping some back...
this has zero shot of happening
I just saw the Canucks live last week. They need a top 6 guy with skill and speed. Badly from what I could tell. Samuelsson is a hump. They might be tempted by Pouliot.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Kafka

I saw Gauthier yesterday on the corner of Sherbrooke and Drummond.

I wonder who he was scouting.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I saw Gauthier yesterday on the corner of Sherbrooke and Drummond.

I wonder who he was scouting.
Jewelry for the wife no doubt. Not sure why he feels so secure in his job. lol

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
MathMan

Dunno why the Habs, with 8 NHL caliber defensemen on the roster and an obvious gaping hole in their top-6, would be looking for blueliners?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How bout...

Pouliot, O'Byrne and Pacioretty (I know my name is Maxpac) for Bieksa and Burrows?
I don't think Burrows and Bieksa would both fit under our salary cap if we only lose pouliot and O'Byrne

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How bout...

Pouliot, O'Byrne and Pacioretty (I know my name is Maxpac) for Bieksa and Burrows?
A 2 million dollar player that plays on the Canucks top line and scores 35 goals will not be traded. It would be extremely pointless to ever suggest it.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
MarkovsKnee

Bieksa would bring physical play and a temper to our blueline and that's about it. He looked like he would develop into a legit #2 defenceman, a Beauchemin type when he first got up here, but that achilles injury he suffered has really, really affected his play.

He's slow, and takes the stupidest penalties ever. If it was between him and Spacek, IDK. Bieksa is more physical but takes dumb penalties, like hothead, stupid, WTF are you doing! dumb.

The big difference is Bieksa is UFA this year while Spacek has one more year. I'd trade for Bieksa to replace Spacek just to achieve that! Bieksa also might be a good partner for Markov since he'd step up and protect him whereas Spacek won't.

So, yeah, if this was a straight Spacek for Bieksa deal I'd go for it. But, it isn't. The Canucks are looking to get rid of a contract and Bieksa is expendable for them. We don't have the cap room to add Bieksa unless we trade Spacek. There would have to be a 3rd team involved who could take Spacek or Hamrlik off our hands. Not sure who that would be and why they wouldn't just do a direct trade with the Canucks to get Bieksa over either Spacek or Hamerlik.

I know the Canucks are interested in both O'Byrne and Maxwell. Maxwell is from North Vancouver and OB is from Victoria. Gillis has an interest in bringing the homeboys back to Vancouver. I can see a trade involving them at some point, but not for Bieksa. We can't afford him and he isn't worth a 2-for-1.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:28 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I just don't see how we finagle "help on the blueline" in pretty much any scenario. We're kind of locked into off-season moves there, I think. I mean, our starting 6, once healthy is pretty much immutable... Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Subban, Gorges, Gill... how do you budge anybody out of that group? And then if you tried to upgrade Picard/O'Byrne, how much would that really help?

The team seems to play fine on D when needed, when healthy. But timely scoring punch is more what is lacking now.
I agree. We need a player like Hartnell more than we need another D. For all we know, PG might be scouting Bieksa for next summer's free agent market. I can't see the Canucks resigning him. I also can't see us doing too much with the defense until next summer.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
chugz

No GM in the NHL would trade a $2 million 35G scorer, so I don't know why people would even suggest Burrows in a trade.

chugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:34 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Dunno why the Habs, with 8 NHL caliber defensemen on the roster and an obvious gaping hole in their top-6, would be looking for blueliners?
Which 8 would that be? A lot of of the Habs offensive problems can be attributed to their inability to get the puck out of their own end. Has Hal Gill ever beaten a forward to a puck on a shoot-in... in his entire career.

Let's start from the back end and work forward. Part of that involves NOT OFFERING a new contract to Gill, perhaps offering Hamrlik a very small one year contract if he wants to return and trying to figure out what to do with Spacek.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Bieksa would bring physical play and a temper to our blueline and that's about it. He looked like he would develop into a legit #2 defenceman, a Beauchemin type when he first got up here, but that achilles injury he suffered has really, really affected his play.

He's slow, and takes the stupidest penalties ever. If it was between him and Spacek, IDK. Bieksa is more physical but takes dumb penalties, like hothead, stupid, WTF are you doing! dumb.

The big difference is Bieksa is UFA this year while Spacek has one more year. I'd trade for Bieksa to replace Spacek just to achieve that! Bieksa also might be a good partner for Markov since he'd step up and protect him whereas Spacek won't.

So, yeah, if this was a straight Spacek for Bieksa deal I'd go for it. But, it isn't. The Canucks are looking to get rid of a contract and Bieksa is expendable for them. We don't have the cap room to add Bieksa unless we trade Spacek. There would have to be a 3rd team involved who could take Spacek or Hamrlik off our hands. Not sure who that would be and why they wouldn't just do a direct trade with the Canucks to get Bieksa over either Spacek or Hamerlik.

I know the Canucks are interested in both O'Byrne and Maxwell. Maxwell is from North Vancouver and OB is from Victoria. Gillis has an interest in bringing the homeboys back to Vancouver. I can see a trade involving them at some point, but not for Bieksa. We can't afford him and he isn't worth a 2-for-1.
Good analysis.

At this point, I would hate to give up on Maxwell. He had a good pre-season and really seems to be hitting his stride in Hamilton. Maxwell has all the tools to be our #2 center. I would like to see him develop for another 40 games in Hamilton and hope is playing so well that the Habs are almost forced to make a decision.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Which 8 would that be? A lot of of the Habs offensive problems can be attributed to their inability to get the puck out of their own end. Has Hal Gill ever beaten a forward to a puck on a shoot-in... in his entire career.

Let's start from the back end and work forward. Part of that involves NOT OFFERING a new contract to Gill, perhaps offering Hamrlik a very small one year contract if he wants to return and trying to figure out what to do with Spacek.
This x 10.

We have all the right tools in our fowards, Camm, Ak, Plekz, Gio and to an extent Gomez and Eller. How can our forwards score when the puck cant get out of the zone. Our defence needs a complete change, they are NOT suited for the type of game the nhl plays now. IMO, all should go except Subban, Markov, Georges.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Good analysis.

At this point, I would hate to give up on Maxwell. He had a good pre-season and really seems to be hitting his stride in Hamilton. Maxwell has all the tools to be our #2 center. I would like to see him develop for another 40 games in Hamilton and hope is playing so well that the Habs are almost forced to make a decision.
We've already have 2 strong centers in Leblanc and Eller.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

The Habs have too many lefties and there is an opportunity to get a decent rightie with an expiring contract. O'Byrne is a rightie but has fallen out of favor. I can somewhat understand why the Habs would have an eye on Bieksa if there is any truth to the reports.

Obviously there would have to be some interest in some of the Habs D from another team whether it be Spacek, Hamrlik or Gill. Out of those three and if it works cap wise - my preference to go would be.............

1st: Spacek (moreso because of his contract than play but play is a ? mark now)
2nd: Gill (because there is virtually no offense and quirky defense except on the PK)
3rd: Hamrlik (the Habs D would be worse defensively without Hamrlik but with Bieksa. And if Markov is injured we know to expect)

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Well I always hear "We need more tougness, we are soft, no one to defend players, etc..." well we finally here a surface rumor about someone who can bring just that?

A player with a mean streak? and he takes dumb penalties? I am not really surprised. I'd take him gladly if it meant we are abit more intimidating. Moen fighting Clarkson just doesn't have much fear in that one, but if we had Bieksa he could give us some intimidation in the back, lay some big hits, defend our own players, and chip in offensively every now and then.

I think maybe hes fed up in Vancouver, and a change of scenery would do him some good, with a more defensively responsible system. He might fit here better, he might not, regardless he gives us that Dman we've been looking for for awhile now.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Which 8 would that be? A lot of of the Habs offensive problems can be attributed to their inability to get the puck out of their own end.
Well, the Habs don't really do transition to begin with. PMDs won't help you if your default zone breakout scheme is "off the boards and out". If Andrei Markov of all people couldn't rescue the Habs' transition game last year, then what you have isn't a personnel problem.

You could add more PMDs back there if you want, I mean, a team never has too many PMDs, but that's not gonna fix the transition game, and certainly neither is Bieska. So while upgrades are desirable, I don't think there is a roster hole here.

Whereas the Habs are playing Tom bleeping Pyatt on their first line out of desperation right now. There's a personnel hole here.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
We've already have 2 strong centers in Leblanc and Eller.
Yeah but why give up talent just cause we have depth already there? Eller can play wing...plus we aren't even sure those two will develop as well as someone like Maxwell. It shouldn't cost us a prospect of Max's caliber for Bieksa in my opinion. At the very least we should be able to package a deal without including him.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:58 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Mathman, Funny that you argue the coach and his system is to blame for our poor transition, but don't think he can be blamed for playing Pyatt in the top 6 over Pouliot/Eller (hell even Boyd has proven he can score some goals).

Our D is far too slow and prone to bad giveaways, and Martin has said he wants more offense from our defense this year. I am all in favour of bringing in Bieksa!

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:02 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Dreger used the caveat that PG is a scouting GM. He likes to get out on the road. Even Dreger admitted that he wasn't sure who PG may have been looking at.

He then went on to say that Bieksa was definitely going to be moved in the near future.

Was he trying to link the two teams? I don't really think so.

Analyzing the player, Bieksa is okay, but not really an upgrade.

If we're going to ADD blue line people it won't be until after Markov is back. Then there will be a few games to see where the PP is at with him in the fold.

Spacek has had a very tough start to the season. The biggest problem is that he's a left side player being forced to play the right. He doesn't like it. Is that dislike affecting his play? Maybe. My hope would be that with Markov back, perhaps they try Spacek on the left with Andrei and Hammer with Subban.

Analyzing team needs, there needs to be an infusion of goals into the GG line. Whether it comes from within, or they go out and make a deal, they need to a left winger capable of doing the job.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Hank4Hart

Vancouver fan here

Bieksa will be your new whipping boy over Price if you guys do indeed get him as a lot of this willing be happening

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
BigHabs

Vancouver

Bieksa
Alberts
Torres

for

Montreal

Hamrlik
Maxwell
O'Byrne

(Add a pick to where you think it might be needed if any.)

5.8mill going Montreal's way. 5.5mill going Vancouver's way. Maxwell would more than likely go down to the AHL along with Parent.

According to capgeek the Nucks have 16 forwards and 10dmen up.

So Maxwell, Parent, Sweatt, Desbiens, would all go down. Making enough cap room to fit all the defense and forwards. Hamrlik would be more of a defensive position which I think Vancouver wants at this point. This would also give Bieksa and Alberts would be out to Montreal making Vancouver's d look like this.

Ballard Hamhuis
Ehrhoff Edler
Hamrlik Salo

Rome, O'Byrne

After this Hamrlik, Salo would be out to UFA. O'Byrne will sign for a cheap RFA contract. He is back out west close to home, might make him play well. Leaving enough money so Ehrhoff can possibly get a raise this offseason.

Last edited by BigHabs: 10-22-2010 at 01:24 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
THE HOFF

our defense is fine

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Pleky Roks

Bring it on!!! We could use another solid d-man like Bieksa and get rid of someone like Spacek or O'Byrne. I like O'Byrne, but he's had more than enough time to crack a roster spot, if he hasn't done it by now, time to part ways with him and go in a different direction.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote