HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Apparently I Use A Really Long Stick

Old
10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
pass the bisk

vCash: 500
Apparently I Use A Really Long Stick

My teammates were beaking me because I use a stick that goes up to my eyebrows in street shoes. I know it is supposed to be cut down to between your chin and nose (if you play forward like me) but for some reason I can't use short sticks. I hold the stick like halfway down the shaft lol (very unconventional). But, it works for me, so out of curiousity does anyone else use a really long stick?

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use a bit longer stick because I have longer arms and like to keep my bottom hand lower on the stick when playing. 1" above nose in bare feet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:01 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass the bisk View Post
My teammates were beaking me because I use a stick that goes up to my eyebrows in street shoes. I know it is supposed to be cut down to between your chin and nose (if you play forward like me) but for some reason I can't use short sticks. I hold the stick like halfway down the shaft lol (very unconventional). But, it works for me, so out of curiousity does anyone else use a really long stick?
My stick is also at my eyebrows without skates, but I play defense. I do get opportunities to stick handle and shoot though and I find a longer stick works real well for me. The reach helps me with my dangling and puck control, and it also helps me get more on my wrists shots cause I can really wind em up and sling em with the added length.

It also benefits defensively for the obvious reasons =p

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
pass the bisk

What lie do you guys use? I use a five and a Zetterberg curve

Old
10-21-2010, 11:22 PM
ponder

Wow, that is definitely on the long side! I thought I used a slightly longer stick, and mine comes just below my nose in shoes.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
IDuck

i have messed around with stick length and i used a longer stick (also play forward) and i liked the reach but it made it a lot harder for me to stick handle...i have noticed some NHL forwards use longer sticks...bobby ryan use's an really long stick

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:48 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
i have messed around with stick length and i used a longer stick (also play forward) and i liked the reach but it made it a lot harder for me to stick handle...i have noticed some NHL forwards use longer sticks...bobby ryan use's an really long stick
A few do, but most NHL players use a stick that's much, much shorter. Crosby's is at his chest on skates.

And OP: are you saying that your top hand is not on the top of the stick? Becuase that can be a safety issue. Trying something radically shorter may be worth a try.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:55 AM
ju87

Datsyuk uses a really long stick

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:01 AM
pass the bisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
A few do, but most NHL players use a stick that's much, much shorter. Crosby's is at his chest on skates.

And OP: are you saying that your top hand is not on the top of the stick? Becuase that can be a safety issue. Trying something radically shorter may be worth a try.
No im saying my bottom hand is lower than your taught to have it.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:08 AM
noobman

How is your shooting with such a long stick?

I remember a few years ago I was watching an AHL all-star game, and one of the guys was using a stick that was almost as tall as him (in skates!)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:16 AM
pass the bisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
How is your shooting with such a long stick?

I remember a few years ago I was watching an AHL all-star game, and one of the guys was using a stick that was almost as tall as him (in skates!)
Decent

Old
10-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Thepandamancan

I'm a short guy (5'5") and use an intermediate stick with a 7 lie uncut so it comes to a little above my nose in skates and I do perfectly fine.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:26 AM
pass the bisk

Interesting. I didn't even know lie 7 was available to the public

Old
10-22-2010, 02:41 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by pass the bisk View Post
Interesting. I didn't even know lie 7 was available to the public
The Reebok P87 (Crosby) pattern is listed at lie 7 and it does seem quite high of a lie compared to my other lie 6 sticks.

I started playing around with stick lengths and since I cut them down to about 2 inches below my chin on skates my stickhandling ability has skyrocketed, relative to my horrible skill level. I can hold the stick out in front of me rather than getting my top hand stuck on my hip, makes a world of difference. Sticks come to about 56" heel to knob. I might even try a half inch or inch shorter at some point.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Lario Melieux*

I've never seen anyone with a stick above their eyes on skates. The vast majority of players' sticks are chin down on skates. Most forwards are from the upper chest to neck area. Defenders are usually chin to nose area.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This schlub uses a stick up to his nose in skates:

I'm actually gonna bust out this One95 I've got that's up to my eyebrows in bare feet tonight. I want to see how it affects my passing and stickhandling.

I can use any lie, I just have to cup the puck a bit more on higher lies. I prefer 5 though.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
densetsu

If it works for you, it works for you. A few questions though... more curious than anything.

Have you tried a shorter stick? If you have tape on the bottom of your stick, where does it wear out the fastest? Where are all the puck marks on your stick?

I tried using a stick that was up to my eyes in shoes, and I could barely get a shot off. It was great for poke/sweep checks, but that's about it. After 60 mins at an outdoor rink just shooting pucks, and another 60 mins in a shinny game, I took a few inches off the top.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Briere Up There*

I use a stick that's right between my collar bone and chin on skates. I used to use a longer stick to rip snap shots ala Semin, but found I was too slow with the longer stick. Everything got deflected just about. The length I have now is a perfect medium for stickhandling, shooting, and defending at least in my opinion.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've tried over the years everything from below the chin in bare feet to above the eyebrows in bare feet. The sweet spot for me is at the nose or an inch longer in bare feet. I don't wear the tape much but it's fairly even, a bit more wear at the heel depending on whether I play forward or D.

Anything under the nose and I start topping the puck on shots, flubbing shots, sending passes all over the place, and I basically have to carry the puck in my skates, so my head is down and I get picked easily. Higher than that, and from what I recall the stick control felt a bit sluggish, puck was too far from me so the puck got picked, and I lost some power on the shot because it was too far away from my body...but I'll update when I use the monster stick tonight

Old
10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
If it works for you, it works for you. A few questions though... more curious than anything.

Have you tried a shorter stick? If you have tape on the bottom of your stick, where does it wear out the fastest? Where are all the puck marks on your stick?

I tried using a stick that was up to my eyes in shoes, and I could barely get a shot off. It was great for poke/sweep checks, but that's about it. After 60 mins at an outdoor rink just shooting pucks, and another 60 mins in a shinny game, I took a few inches off the top.
Ya I had about a 54" stick to start out with and really disliked the length. Sticks I have been using for awhile now are about 60-61" long which is up to about my eyebrows barebootd.

Here is a lil pic of my tape wear/puck marks

Old
10-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd really only worry about tape wear if your passing/catching passes/shooting/stickhandling wasn't feeling right.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Blueland89

I use sticks that come to my eyes in shoes and aout tip of my nose in skates and it actually helps my shot, stickhandling, and passing. My heall always wears out first though and by a long shot.

I'm 5"10

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Ya I had about a 54" stick to start out with and really disliked the length. Sticks I have been using for awhile now are about 60-61" long which is up to about my eyebrows barebootd.

Here is a lil pic of my tape wear/puck marks

Then you need a shorter stick. When you have the ideal lie/length, the wear and puckmarks should be evenly spaced.

I presume you have a lot of passes slip under the toe of your blade too?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Then you need a shorter stick. When you have the ideal lie/length, the wear and puckmarks should be evenly spaced.

I presume you have a lot of passes slip under the toe of your blade too?
No, I got a heel curve I can get my blade on the ice real nice and cup like. I take alot of slappers so puck marks always stick out there or start out there. I have puck marks along the middle and toe also but just much much more around that area.

The wear on the bottom is cause I get real low and use my reach and really press on the heel a majority of the time so its loaded for a nice firm pass or shot. It may be a little more over towards the middle of the blade but pretty sure thats where it wears almost always for me.

If I am playing more of a forward roll in a scrimmage or something Ill see the wear on bottom much more towards middle and even wear through near the toe.

I can take a pic of it but I already took off the tape from last session but I got a game Sunday if this thread still goin by then =p

Old
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
ponder

If the tape right by the heel is wearing out way faster than the tape in the middle of your blade, then you're stick is too long IMO. I used to have my sticks about an 3/4 of an inch longer than I do now, would wear out the tape more at the heel, on day decided to play around a bit with slightly shorter sticks, now tape wears out in the middle and my shot has improved significantly.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote