HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Can someone explain that late goal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
  #1
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Can someone explain that late goal?

I was at the game last night in the 204 section, so I really didn't have a good honest look at that last goal.

Here's what I saw... the whistle blew and the ref waved his arms as in no goal. Then the Ducks start hugging each other and of course it's time to get the Toronto War Room on the phone. Meanwhile, replays are showing in the arena that don't show much at all. Then the ref says: "the call on the ice stands that it was a goal."

So I get it that whatever the call on the ice is, they need conclusive evidence to overturn it, but how was the call on the ice a goal? The whistle blew followed by the refs behind the net waving it off. For anyone watching at home, am I wrong here or was my vantage point too far away from the play? Did replays at home show the puck cross the line before that whistle?

On a side note... kudos to Holmgren for this awesome defense he has given us.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:53 AM
  #2
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
I was at the game last night in the 204 section, so I really didn't have a good honest look at that last goal.

Here's what I saw... the whistle blew and the ref waved his arms as in no goal. Then the Ducks start hugging each other and of course it's time to get the Toronto War Room on the phone. Meanwhile, replays are showing in the arena that don't show much at all. Then the ref says: "the call on the ice stands that it was a goal."

So I get it that whatever the call on the ice is, they need conclusive evidence to overturn it, but how was the call on the ice a goal? The whistle blew followed by the refs behind the net waving it off. For anyone watching at home, am I wrong here or was my vantage point too far away from the play? Did replays at home show the puck cross the line before that whistle?

On a side note... kudos to Holmgren for this awesome defense he has given us.
Check the Flyers.tv thing on the Flyers site or video on NHL.com. I'll bet they show it.

Basically puck was swatted while Bob went to cover, slide toward right post and Carle's skate. Carle couldn't kick it away, whether it was because he pivoted on that foot or didn't react. Whistle blew clearly after the puck entered the net. It was a good goal.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:58 AM
  #3
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
God hates the Flyers

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM
  #4
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Check the Flyers.tv thing on the Flyers site or video on NHL.com. I'll bet they show it.

Basically puck was swatted while Bob went to cover, slide toward right post and Carle's skate. Carle couldn't kick it away, whether it was because he pivoted on that foot or didn't react. Whistle blew clearly after the puck entered the net. It was a good goal.
Alright, that's at least good to hear... why was the ref waving it off, is he blind?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:28 AM
  #5
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Alright, that's at least good to hear... why was the ref waving it off, is he blind?
The ref right on the net never made a signal, I thought?

Also, Carle didn't kick the puck out because he was looking at Bob; he, like Bobrovsky, thought the glove got down on it...the puck slid out at a very weird angle right along the pad, hit Carle's foot and he doesn't look down at it until he feels it, at which point it's too late.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
  #6
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Alright, that's at least good to hear... why was the ref waving it off, is he blind?
Carle's skate was kind of close to the post, made it hard to see it go in, so I can understand why the ref didn't react right away.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:24 AM
  #7
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,270
vCash: 769
I still don't get the "call on the ice stands" because i never saw the ref point it was a good goal. just saw him wave his arms in the air to signal the play is dead

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
  #8
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
A simulation of the call to Toronto:

"Hello, Toronto, did you see that last play?"

"Yes, we did, in between jacking each other off while watching the Penguins game."

"Okay, that is good to hear, so this decision should be quick. I blew the whistle before the puck crossed the line and waived the play dead immediately, so the call on the ice should stand and there should be no goal, right?"

"Yeah, the call on the ice should stand, it is a goal."

"But... that wasn't actually the call on the ice."

"Did you forget the first thing we taught you in our NHL referee certification course?"

"Maybe, refresh my memory"

"**** the Flyers."

"Oh, right. I guess it would be suspicious if we didn't continue our trend of stealing good goals from Flyers and then having hypocritical double standards in the exact same situations when they are on the other side of the coin. But what about the fact that that wasn't the call on the ice? What should I tell these fans that are going to jump down my throat for being a jackass?"

"Oh, Crosby! *fap fap fap*"

"Thanks for the help guys..."

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:48 AM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,415
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still don't get the "call on the ice stands" because i never saw the ref point it was a good goal. just saw him wave his arms in the air to signal the play is dead
That's because this is exactly what happened. The call on the ice was no-goal.


This happened in Minnesota last week where there was no call on the ice when the puck was in the net, and they came back from review and said the call on the ice was a goal when there was no call at all.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:58 AM
  #10
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's because this is exactly what happened. The call on the ice was no-goal.


This happened in Minnesota last week where there was no call on the ice when the puck was in the net, and they came back from review and said the call on the ice was a goal when there was no call at all.
The refs hate Minnesotan and Philly accents - and thus hate the Wild and Flyers.

I dunno. That's all I got. My entire household is sick so I watched the game and enjoyed it due to the meds.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:14 AM
  #11
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
It was definitely a goal, unfortunately.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:19 AM
  #12
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's because this is exactly what happened. The call on the ice was no-goal.


This happened in Minnesota last week where there was no call on the ice when the puck was in the net, and they came back from review and said the call on the ice was a goal when there was no call at all.
yeah, it was kind of weird.


still definitely a goal though.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:29 AM
  #13
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
I didn't think there WAS a call on the ice. They blew play dead and immediately went and reviewed it; I never saw a no-goal signal, just the ref holding his hands up to stop play.

I don't see the issue, it was clearly a goal.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
  #14
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still don't get the "call on the ice stands" because i never saw the ref point it was a good goal. just saw him wave his arms in the air to signal the play is dead
That's exactly what I saw.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
  #15
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I didn't think there WAS a call on the ice. They blew play dead and immediately went and reviewed it; I never saw a no-goal signal, just the ref holding his hands up to stop play.

I don't see the issue, it was clearly a goal.
Now that I know it's a goal, it's a moot point... however, I'm confused as to why after reviewing the goal, they claimed "the call on the ice stands" as a goal when there was never a goal called. There was a ref that blew the play dead, but there was never an official goal signal (at least from my vantage point). The call on the ice greatly impacts the result of a review... just like reviews in football.

This all could have been avoided if our defense woke up and played to their potential.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:56 AM
  #16
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
That's exactly what I saw.
Jim Jackson made a comment about it. He said he never saw either ref signal it was a goal. So, he was puzzled about how "the call on the ice" could stand if no one knew what that call was to begin with.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
  #17
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Now that I know it's a goal, it's a moot point... however, I'm confused as to why after reviewing the goal, they claimed "the call on the ice stands" as a goal when there was never a goal called. There was a ref that blew the play dead, but there was never an official goal signal (at least from my vantage point). The call on the ice greatly impacts the result of a review... just like reviews in football.

This all could have been avoided if our defense woke up and played to their potential.

Honestly? I just think it's one of those issues of being used to just saying a certain phrase. I wouldn't read that much into it, I just think the ref had to say something. It's pretty common to see NHL refs stumble over their words a bit in making those calls; I don't think these guys are necessarily the best public speakers, especially when making a call that goes against the home team when you're in Philly....

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
  #18
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Honestly? I just think it's one of those issues of being used to just saying a certain phrase. I wouldn't read that much into it, I just think the ref had to say something. It's pretty common to see NHL refs stumble over their words a bit in making those calls; I don't think these guys are necessarily the best public speakers, especially when making a call that goes against the home team when you're in Philly....
Very true. It's just a pain when you are in the arena, a situation like this comes up with under two minutes to go and you have absolutely no way of knowing if the call was exactly right except take in what the ref says.

On top of that, because of the Phillies playoff game, there was close to no coverage of the Flyers game when I got home (just as the final out was made).

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM
  #19
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Very true. It's just a pain when you are in the arena, a situation like this comes up with under two minutes to go and you have absolutely no way of knowing if the call was exactly right except take in what the ref says.

On top of that, because of the Phillies playoff game, there was close to no coverage of the Flyers game when I got home (just as the final out was made).
They never signalled a good goal on the ice. Waiving the arms to stop play signifies that play was ongoing. It would not be ongoing if a goal was scored. The first down-like pointing it the signal for a goal. It did not come until after the review.

And the whistle in this instance is irrelevent, because they reviewed the play. If the on-ice guys say they stopped play with a whistle, it can't be reviewed. The NHL still hangs its hat on the "intent" to blow the whistle, which is why it won't review those types of calls.

I was at the game as well. I understand how disheartening the whole thing was because when the schmuck started his announcement with "The call on the ice stands," we all started cheering. All we had to go on was the whistle and the waving of the arms to stop play.
Maybe officials need to tell the PA announcer what the play is before talking to Toronto. Lou Nolan simply said "the play" was under review. If he had said the Anaheim goal is under review, those who paid to be in the arena would know what was going on. It gave me a smiliar awful feeling that the end of Game 6 did (not the magnitude, just the whole celebrating while everyone else thinks a save has been made).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
  #20
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Very true. It's just a pain when you are in the arena, a situation like this comes up with under two minutes to go and you have absolutely no way of knowing if the call was exactly right except take in what the ref says.

On top of that, because of the Phillies playoff game, there was close to no coverage of the Flyers game when I got home (just as the final out was made).
I saw a call in an NFL game last week for penalty have 2 calls against the offense and have them negate. But the player he called out on the first was defense and he called out the right number. Just a simple mistake. Either way, they made the right call, that was a goal.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
  #21
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 539
quick question about the game last night.


IN the 3rd period it sounded like there was a chant going on that sounded like "crosby sucks" am i mistaken and if not wtf

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
  #22
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
quick question about the game last night.


IN the 3rd period it sounded like there was a chant going on that sounded like "crosby sucks" am i mistaken and if not wtf
The chant was, "Cosby sucks." It was actually a positive chant. Bill Cosby was in the stands, enjoying a Pudding Pop.




Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
  #23
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
The chant was, "Cosby sucks." It was actually a positive chant. Bill Cosby was in the stands, enjoying a Pudding Pop.



nice! but really a crosby sucks chant during a ducks game. ON one hand its totally awesome in the city's commitment to the hatred of cindy. But on the other hand ducks players must have been cracking up at how lame that was.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
  #24
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
I think it was a "Ref You Suck" chant last night...

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:06 PM
  #25
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I think it was a "Ref You Suck" chant last night...
WEll that makes sense. But to anyones knowledge has there ever been a "Crosby Sucks" chant during a non penguins game?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.