HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Apparently I Use A Really Long Stick

Old
10-22-2010, 05:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Datsyuk uses a stick up to nearly his eyes in skates and he has great hands. It's really a matter of practice and preference. However, I don't recommend that for most people. You have to remember that certain stick lengths will limit what you can naturally do. A longer stick will make it easy to drive wide around people but very hard to pull the puck in and keep it close to you along the boards. It will also help your shot, but you'll have to keep the puck further out to shoot properly. The real trick is just knowing how to adjust to it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Maybe he just stickhandles near his heel. The puck is always on my heel more than any other part of the stick, no matter what the length is.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

depends on the blade. When I use a Modano/ Malkin curve (5 lie), I prefer a stick up to my eyes without skates. I am better with a higher lie as I like to take quick shots close to my body. Right now I use sticks that come up to my nose without skates. I'm 6'2" So I guess that's a long stick as well.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:48 PM
EmptyNetter

I played defense for years and always used a longer stick because I liked the added reach. I'm finally feeling comfortable with a shorter stick -- 5.5 lie and the end is up to my nose if I'm wearing sneakers.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Datsyuk uses a stick up to nearly his eyes in skates and he has great hands. It's really a matter of practice and preference. However, I don't recommend that for most people. You have to remember that certain stick lengths will limit what you can naturally do. A longer stick will make it easy to drive wide around people but very hard to pull the puck in and keep it close to you along the boards. It will also help your shot, but you'll have to keep the puck further out to shoot properly. The real trick is just knowing how to adjust to it.
Ya I guess Im just one of those few where it works great for me. For my level of play and how long I have been playing I got a pretty nice shot and good handling so Im not at all concerned with it. Everytime I mess around with a forwards stick that is short it just completely throws me off. Can't think of a specific time where I messed up a chance and thought a shorter stick would have helped me.

Also to remember I use a big heel curve so thats really where the puck sits nice and is good to start out at for good control/zip on my passes/shots.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really wouldn't worry about it.

When I shoot, I move my bottom hand down and pull the puck in closer, so I need the higher lie. But when stickhandling, I use the heel since the puck is further away. I can stickhandle with the rockered heel of a higher lie, but I can't shoot with a lower lie since the toe would be dragging.

Oh, and the stick up to my eyebrows was completely unusable in practice

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:06 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I really like a longer stick, up to between my chin and mouth on skates, because you can drive wide around people and steal pucks more easily.

Old
10-23-2010, 12:26 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Maybe he just stickhandles near his heel. The puck is always on my heel more than any other part of the stick, no matter what the length is.
The puck is all over his blade when he stick handles:

Do you use a heel curve?

Really, the main way you will know if your stick is too long and/or your lie is not right *for shooting* is if your tape wears away way more right by the heel of the blade. Shot power and accuracy is simply better when you're putting the pressure near the middle of the blade (a touch towards the heel is fine/good, but not right by the heel), but since everyone has somewhat different shooting mechanics this could mean a real long stick for some people, or a real short stick for others. If your blade wears through tape like crazy at the heel, ask to borrow a teammates slightly shorter stick in practice/warmup, after a small adjustment period your wrist and especially slap shot should feel significantly harder and more accurate.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Do you use a heel curve?

I think he may have been referring to me not Datsyuk.

Ya I use heel curve, either Getzlaf(Easton) or Gagne(Bauer).

Ill take a pic and post it up late Sunday night after my game to show exactly my game use wear. Its not like the middle of my blade doesnt get wear...just not nearly as much as my heel does. As said before I do like to take slapshots a bunch so I also imagine this is a big reason.

Old
10-23-2010, 02:26 PM
bigsick

5'11 forward, i use a stick that is just past my collarbone on skates. I like the shorter stick length for stickhandling in close to my skates, catching passes that arent perfect and board play. I used to use a longer stick and my shot was a bit better but for the rest of my game this makes more sense.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:40 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
5'11 forward, i use a stick that is just past my collarbone on skates. I like the shorter stick length for stickhandling in close to my skates, catching passes that arent perfect and board play. I used to use a longer stick and my shot was a bit better but for the rest of my game this makes more sense.
I gotta say that I've found the opposite to be true. Longer stick= more range for catching passes and if a pass is too far inside, you can use your skates or do what I do, direct it off the blade into your skates and then back out the other side.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:43 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Do you use a heel curve?

Really, the main way you will know if your stick is too long and/or your lie is not right *for shooting* is if your tape wears away way more right by the heel of the blade. Shot power and accuracy is simply better when you're putting the pressure near the middle of the blade (a touch towards the heel is fine/good, but not right by the heel), but since everyone has somewhat different shooting mechanics this could mean a real long stick for some people, or a real short stick for others. If your blade wears through tape like crazy at the heel, ask to borrow a teammates slightly shorter stick in practice/warmup, after a small adjustment period your wrist and especially slap shot should feel significantly harder and more accurate.
As mentioned, I was addressing blueberrydanish. But yes love that vid among all his others!

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
If it works for you, it works for you. A few questions though... more curious than anything.

Have you tried a shorter stick? If you have tape on the bottom of your stick, where does it wear out the fastest? Where are all the puck marks on your stick?

I tried using a stick that was up to my eyes in shoes, and I could barely get a shot off. It was great for poke/sweep checks, but that's about it. After 60 mins at an outdoor rink just shooting pucks, and another 60 mins in a shinny game, I took a few inches off the top.
yeah, for years I've adapted to playing D with a relatively longer length, about halfway up my nose in skates.

I wanted to improve my stick handling and shooting and began experimenting with shorter lengths and am now down to just above the upper lip, about 1 1/2 inches shorter than what I had become accustomed to.

My stick handling and shooting have improved tremendously and I've refined my defensive game, BUT I tend to miss sometimes with my poke & sweep checks due to the shorter length.

It's a trade off. When I settled with this current length, I was missing on my sweeps & pokes like half the time. It angered the hell out of me, but it drove me to practice and play more whenever I can and adapt to this new length.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
yeah, for years I've adapted to playing D with a relatively longer length, about halfway up my nose in skates.

I wanted to improve my stick handling and shooting and began experimenting with shorter lengths and am now down to just above the upper lip, about 1 1/2 inches shorter than what I had become accustomed to.

My stick handling and shooting have improved tremendously and I've refined my defensive game, BUT I tend to miss sometimes with my poke & sweep checks due to the shorter length.

It's a trade off. When I settled with this current length, I was missing on my sweeps & pokes like half the time. It angered the hell out of me, but it drove me to practice and play more whenever I can and adapt to this new length.
Yeah, if you're expecting to have a reach that's 1.5 inches longer than it usually is it's easy to get frustrated. Bottom line is, the stick becomes an extension of your arm and once you're aware of where it ends you can skate in closer to compensate for a shorter stick.

My stick used to be long enough that my top hand (which is my dominant hand) just anchored the the stick at my hip, so I was using my stick like a boat oar. Once I shortened my stick it freed up my top hand to cross over my body, which allowed me to angle my blade better for handling the puck. I mean, I had to get used to moving the stick differently to pass and to shoot but it opened up a lot of possibilities.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Frankie Spankie

I think the question of how long a stick should be for a player is best answered by the way the tape wears under the blade. If it wears evenly, you're at the right height. I personally have it right up to my chin on skates, right below my nose off skates. You'd be surprised how big of a difference a little height could make too. I remember I got a new stick and I have a marker on my kitchen doorway for how long it should be. I put it up to the old marker and cut it not even an inch longer than I usually use it at. I couldn't hit any of my passes or shots right. Realized it was too long, cut it down to the right size, and was right where I wanted to be again.

But still, you should probably just go with what's most comfortable. Martin St Pierre (pretty much an AHL star that could never find a place in the NHL) uses a really long one which is odd since he's 5'9". I remember when he was called up to Boston a few times two seasons ago that the commentators were making jokes that if Chara breaks his stick, St Pierre could just give Chara his and Chara wouldn't even notice a difference. The stick was probably bigger than him.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:00 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

I guess I would say it depends what kind of player you are.

If you're the offensive type always looking to dangle and shoot off a quick wrister, than a short stick is more efficient.

If you're a defender who mainly uses your stick for an outlet pass or to pokecheck/stickcheck then a long stick is what you're looking for. Just know that your shot and dekes will usually be impeded.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
I guess I would say it depends what kind of player you are.

If you're the offensive type always looking to dangle and shoot off a quick wrister, than a short stick is more efficient.

If you're a defender who mainly uses your stick for an outlet pass or to pokecheck/stickcheck then a long stick is what you're looking for. Just know that your shot and dekes will usually be impeded.
That is partially true but the bigger factor is how you handle the puck. If you always keep it in close to your body, make pull-in moves etc a shorter stick makes sense. But if you like to get it in front of you, go around people etc, a longer stick really is better.

One thing I really like is the ability to steal the puck off the boards from behind/side of people because of the extra reach. I do it constantly; part of it is having good hands but the length really helps too.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
That is partially true but the bigger factor is how you handle the puck. If you always keep it in close to your body, make pull-in moves etc a shorter stick makes sense. But if you like to get it in front of you, go around people etc, a longer stick really is better.

One thing I really like is the ability to steal the puck off the boards from behind/side of people because of the extra reach. I do it constantly; part of it is having good hands but the length really helps too.
Another big fave of mine is the one-handed swat to reach around ppl and knock the puck away from em. People just dont expect ya to be able to do that.

Alright here are the pics from my game, the heel is obviously where most the wear is and the tape around more of the middle of the blade is worn down through the first layer just not the second layer of tape.

The first pic that I posted earlier in the thread was just a random blade that I used to mark, so this shows a little better of where my blade mostly touches the ice but still pretty much the same general area. Also sorry for the ****** camera, but I think yall get the point.

Last edited by blueberrydanish: 10-24-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old
10-28-2010, 01:33 AM
bigsick

Quote:
I gotta say that I've found the opposite to be true. Longer stick= more range for catching passes and if a pass is too far inside, you can use your skates or do what I do, direct it off the blade into your skates and then back out the other side.
I dont agree with that at all. When you stick is too long its pretty much impossible to catch passes behind you(while skating) smoothly. With a short stick its easy because you can lay the blade on the ice pretty much anywhere around you. I use my skates very frequently for catching passes and even doing that its easier to deflect it up to a shorter stick.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I tried going with a stick that was 2" longer than normal and that was too clunky. Tomorrow I'm going to try a stick that's 2" shorter than normal to see if that improves my passing (especially with the Drury since they like to go up in the air...).

Old
10-28-2010, 05:50 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
I dont agree with that at all. When you stick is too long its pretty much impossible to catch passes behind you(while skating) smoothly. With a short stick its easy because you can lay the blade on the ice pretty much anywhere around you. I use my skates very frequently for catching passes and even doing that its easier to deflect it up to a shorter stick.
Really it just has to be a good blend of length and lie for the type of player you are...

Obviously you see a mix here and there...but Id assume you probably hear more about a forward using a longer stick than usual....vs a defenseman using a shorter stick than usual. For beer leaguers though alot of us do a mix of both forward and defense so more often than not youll just cut the stick so you can perform better towards your offensive games. I know at my rink actually WANTING to play defense is a very rare thing.

Old
10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
greyraven8

Up until a couple years ago played beer league; now just scrub.

Like 'blueberrydanish' mentioned most beer leaguers on the teams I played on didn't want to play exclusively defence, but there were a few guys that included myself that wanted to.

My stick tape wears out by the heel. The league I used to play in only allowed waist high windups (and follow throughs??) for slapshots, and the scrub groups only allow any slapshots when you have a clear shot at the goal. Wearing bare feet my stick is up to my eyebrows and I usually try to get a stick with not a lot of curve and a "normal" (mid??) curve - one of my sticks is a Thornton curve. Stick is probably a bit too long for me, but I like it that way.

Trying a shorter stick didn't help my minimal shooting skills anyway and I didn't notice any real difference with passing. I like the longer stick for poke checking and any other stick checking/clearing. I think the only help a longer stick would have for receiving passes would be for the passes that are way in front of you.

If I was to play mostly forward I might consider trying a shorter stick.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:06 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Another big fave of mine is the one-handed swat to reach around ppl and knock the puck away from em. People just dont expect ya to be able to do that.

Alright here are the pics from my game, the heel is obviously where most the wear is and the tape around more of the middle of the blade is worn down through the first layer just not the second layer of tape.

The first pic that I posted earlier in the thread was just a random blade that I used to mark, so this shows a little better of where my blade mostly touches the ice but still pretty much the same general area. Also sorry for the ****** camera, but I think yall get the point.
Not terrible, but I think you'll notice a significant improvement in your shot (especially your slap shot) if you take about 1/2" off the top of your stick. My blade used to wear in the same spot, I cut it down slightly, now it wears more in the middle and my shot is definitely noticeably harder and more accurate.

Last edited by ponder: 10-29-2010 at 07:14 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm excellent at passing/playmaking with a longer stick. Just below my lip is the ideal happy medium for me. Going any shorter didn't help me at all but more than an inch longer is a little awkward.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Went a bit shorter tonight (using a 5.5 lie) and my passing and shooting WAS a bit better. Was skating well too.