HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgh: The Best defensive in the game !

Old
10-22-2010, 07:34 PM
fortier

vCash: 500
Like i said you do not have a 65-70 point defenseman like Green-Boyle- or even Weber but

At the end of the year you wiil have maybe 2 d at more than 45 points (Gogo and Letang

and..

Maybe 2 others with more than 35 points (Michalek and Martin)

That's huge

All those are good defensively and if you put Orpik and Lovejoy defensively.

I am sorry but you are lucky Pittsburgh !!

fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I've tossed around ideas in my head about what kind of return Nashville would want if Weber decided he wanted to go UFA/sign somewhere else longterm in 2012. A guy like Kris Letang seems like a natural piece in any sort of trade for an RFA like Weber. Were you thinking along the same lines when you left Letang off your list?
I was. They would want a good dman back in return to help fill the void of losing a guy like Weber. I dunno what kind of return they would want but the GDT last night i said Letang, Despres, and a 1st. That will probbaly be a really good starting point.....if....they needed help on defense, which they do not.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortier View Post
Like i said you do not have a 65-70 point defenseman like Green-Boyle- or even Weber but

At the end of the year you wiil have maybe 2 d at more than 45 points (Gogo and Letang

and..

Maybe 2 others with more than 35 points (Michalek and Martin)

That's huge

All those are good defensively and if you put Orpik and Lovejoy defensively.

I am sorry but you are lucky Pittsburgh !!
Yeah, let's root for you to be right.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Haha, talk about a pipe dream.
Oh yeah, it's totally a pipe dream that the Pens could afford him either in an asset or cap terms. It's not crazy to think Nashville will trade Weber if he doesn't want to sign long term. That franchise would be devastated to lose a guy like him, but to lose him for nothing would be disastrous.

Then start thinking about what sort of deal the Preds could get. You're not going to get a Doughty, Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, or Backstrom straight up. They'd have to take a package. I figure they would want a proven young D that can play big minutes and some combination of a top six forward/high pick(s)/good prospect(s).

Like I said, I think Letang is the ideal centre piece of a package Preds would want. If Shero ever got THAT done... Jesus this board would crash, Jags would demand we convert Weber to RW, and every WalMart within 100 miles of Philadelphia would run out of tinfoil.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's totally a pipe dream that the Pens could afford him either in an asset or cap terms. It's not crazy to think Nashville will trade Weber if he doesn't want to sign long term. That franchise would be devastated to lose a guy like him, but to lose him for nothing would be disastrous.

Then start thinking about what sort of deal the Preds could get. You're not going to get a Doughty, Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, or Backstrom straight up. They'd have to take a package. I figure they would want a proven young D that can play big minutes and some combination of a top six forward/high pick(s)/good prospect(s).

Like I said, I think Letang is the ideal centre piece of a package Preds would want. If Shero ever got THAT done... Jesus this board would crash, Jags would demand we convert Weber to RW, and every WalMart within 100 miles of Philadelphia would run out of tinfoil.
I like Letang but if we could ever manage to snatch Weber for him, that would be amazing

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Sty1877

I can't believe there are people touting here that we aren't a top ten defense.

We are a top 5 defense.

Hell I can say that perhaps Nashville and Philly are the only two teams with better defenses.

If Goligoski ends up with 50 points.
If Letang plays as smoothly as he can.
If Brooks smashes everyone in his path.
If Michalek plays like an angry Czech.
If Ben plays like Scuds.
If Martin cashes in on his offensive potential.
If Engellend doubles as Freddy Kruger on weekends.

I don't know how we aren't a top 3.

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Luigi Lemieux

This is the best defense the penguins have ever had. I'm not sure if they'll post top 5 GA numbers, simply because of how agressive the dmen are at times, but in terms of depth, puck movement, and skill, this defensive corps is up there among the best in the NHL.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:01 PM
fortier

Nashville ..

There 5th defenseman is Francis Bouillon

I know him very well because he played for few years in Montreal and i am an employee of the Montreal canadiens. I know Frank very well

I am sorry but your 5th d is better than Bouillon !!

fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
66-29-33

Quote:

God...if LA ever got him it would be crazy.

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-Weber
????-Johnson

That defense would be sick as ****!

Martin-Doughty
Orpik-Michalek
Gogo-Lovejoy

Old
10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortier View Post
Nashville ..

There 5th defenseman is Francis Bouillon

I know him very well because he played for few years in Montreal and i am an employee of the Montreal canadiens. I know Frank very well

I am sorry but your 5th d is better than Bouillon !!
I'd love Bouillon as our 6th D. Our D would be complete. Orpik and Bouillon will be the NASTY hitters. Then you got Orpik, Michalek, and Martin holding the backend, not to mention Letang and Gogo are pretty good there, then you got Martin/Letang/Gogo helping on the scoreboard with a little help from Michalek.

Old
10-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Jahodac

Shea Weber
Ryan Suter
Alexander Sulzer
Shane O'Brien
Kevin Klein
Cody Franson
Francis Bouillon

Probably the best defense in the league. All of them are young and only getting better.

Penguins are probably top 5-10 if things go well.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
God...if LA ever got him it would be crazy.

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-Weber
????-Johnson

That defense would be sick as ****!
I think LA has the assets to do a deal for Weber if he were on the market. It's really hard to find a team that could afford the assets and the cap to acquire a guy like a Weber. Right now the NHL has 2 other D I'd put on the same level (trade value wise) as Weber (Doughty and Keith); the return he'd get would be huge.

The only comparable trade I can think of was a 34 year old Pronger for a mid 20's top 6 forward, a top prospect, and 2 first draft picks. How much extra is Pronger ten years younger worth?

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
JTG

Quote:
I think our d is legit top 5 in the league in quality, but has arguably the best depth in the league.

Who can boast a better #1-7 than us when everyone's healthy? I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'd say we're in top 5-ish category. Top 10 is assumed...I'd put us somewhere in the 3-6 range...where in that range depends on Gogo and Letang keeping their level of play up.
I agree with these. I think we're around 4 or 5. We lack that stud #1, but with how the defense is set up, you really don't need one of those.

The frightening part is that this team is ranked in the top 10 in GA right now, and we have been without our 3 best defensive players for a majority of this young season.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I don't even think it's top 10 let alone best in the league.
I agree it's not yet in the top 2 or 3 but name 10 teams with more D depth and talent (setting aside the injury issue - obviously Hutch doesn't count and most nights Engelland will be 7). The only obvious candidates are Nashville and Vancouver. There are also some teams with great top pairings that are arguably better than ours (Chicago, Detroit, maybe Dallas ... and if JJ were more consistent, LA too)... but beyond that I don't see it. I'd put our D depth + skill combo right around 5 or 6 assuming health.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
lastcupever75

Quote:
and every WalMart within 100 miles of Philadelphia would run out of tinfoil.

BOT, then you have dupres pushing for a spot soon.

we should be pretty well stacked for years

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Not sure it's the best but they've got one of the best D-Cores in the league.

Martin Letang
Orpik Michalek
Goligoski Engelland/Lovejoy

^ That's a pretty impressive group.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:33 PM
FDBluth

Some of you guys are completely forgetting about the Canucks.

When all healthy, they have Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard, Bieska and Salo to choose from. That's 6 top-4 defenseman, and arguably 3-4 top-2 defensemen (Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff and Ballard).

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:37 PM
SkullSplitter

No true number one, but they've got more number twos than any other team in the league.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:

That would be so amazingly rad.

Not going to happen though.

I remember trading Whitney for Weber in an EA sports game a few years ago. Then I think Whitney probably went on to win the Norris.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Not sure it's the best but they've got one of the best D-Cores in the league.

Martin Letang
Orpik Michalek
Goligoski

^ That's a pretty impressive group.
All five of these players were in olympic roster discussion for 2010, and could be for 2014. That is one potential definition of depth.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
All five of these players were in olympic roster discussion for 2010, and could be for 2014. That is one potential definition of depth.
Letang was never a consideration, but this blueline is definitely representing the USA well.

Orpik
Goligoski
Martin
Lovejoy
Hutchinson
Strait
Sneep
Samuelsson

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Some of you guys are completely forgetting about the Canucks.

When all healthy, they have Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard, Bieska and Salo to choose from. That's 6 top-4 defenseman, and arguably 3-4 top-2 defensemen (Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff and Ballard).
If Bieksa's in your top 4, you've got a pretty crap team.

But point taken.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:02 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
I've tossed around ideas in my head about what kind of return Nashville would want if Weber decided he wanted to go UFA/sign somewhere else longterm in 2012. A guy like Kris Letang seems like a natural piece in any sort of trade for an RFA like Weber. Were you thinking along the same lines when you left Letang off your list?
Weber is also Sid's newest BFF, which should factor into the situation: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10295/1097203-61.stm

Old
10-22-2010, 10:04 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
If Bieksa's in your top 4, you've got a pretty crap team.

But point taken.
Bieksa certainly has the ability of a top 4 player. He's just a dumbass.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Weber is also Sid's newest BFF, which should factor into the situation: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10295/1097203-61.stm
Weber to be bought out by Nashville, sign with Penguins for league minimum (E5).

AK is offline   Reply With Quote