HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh: The Best defensive in the game !

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2010, 11:10 PM
  #51
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Letang was never a consideration, but this blueline is definitely representing the USA well.

Orpik
Goligoski
Martin
Lovejoy
Hutchinson
Strait
Sneep
Samuelsson

I think you have two, and potentially three, 2014 American Olympians on our current roster.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
  #52
Snooki Stackhouse
Registered User
 
Snooki Stackhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Is it 2014 yet?

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
  #53
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Is it 2014 yet?
2012 has to come first

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:01 AM
  #54
Crosberry87
Registered User
 
Crosberry87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
The Pens D has been outstanding thus far. Martin and Letang have been total studs. Once we get zibby and Orpik back and before this seasons over the D will be our MO. I'm not impressed with philly's d. Pronger and Timonen are good , but aging, and coburn and carle might as well be no namers as far as I'm concerned. This will be the pens best team since 1993.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:12 AM
  #55
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Is it 2014 yet?
Not to be a dick, but I don't think you Yanks should get too excited about your team's chances at the next Olympics.

Don't - Crosby - Matter
Don't - Stamkos - Matter
Don't - Toews - Matter


Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:33 AM
  #56
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm
 
Big Daddy Cane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Not to be a dick, but I don't think you Yanks should get too excited about your team's chances at the next Olympics.

Don't - Crosby - Matter
Don't - Stamkos - Matter
Don't - Toews - Matter



There's always hope.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:18 AM
  #57
naaat721
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountJ View Post


There's always hope.
Hopefully Cam Ward doesn't take a skate to the thigh in 2014 to ruin his chances of being on the team. He would be an absolute STUD with an actually talented team in front of him. I'd kill to see him behind a team as deep as Canada's was this year. He gets it done as much as he can in Carolina, but that's far from an ideal situation. Mediocre defense, mediocre offense, but when Ward's at his best, they can still somehow be unbeatable on a regular basis, regardless of how lackluster the team in front of him might be.

naaat721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:11 AM
  #58
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
This.

I went through each team and I think we are up there. You got very good d squads in Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, Toronto. I think we are in there. Top 5 ish. And yeah, our depth is very good.
This. Top five with us being more like 4 or 5. Great depth. But we have no real number one defenseman and without that you can not call yourself the best in the league.

That said, Pens' fans are thrilled with what we have, when healthy. Big caveat there. Thank God for that depth this stretch. Goalies is still a big question mark as I can not wait to see what they can do with that defense, healthy, in front of them. That is still a month or so off it seems. I include Staal in that defense along with out other forwards. This defense makes the pens really a team with maybe the fewest exploitable holes in the league. Yeah, wing, wing, wing, blah, blah, blah. The Pens have not had much trouble scoring the last five years, so I do not see wing as some huge exploitable weakness. Top five defense in the league along with what we have with the rest of the team, I will take any day of the week.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:19 AM
  #59
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This. Top five with us being more like 4 or 5. Great depth. But we have no real number one defenseman and without that you can not call yourself the best in the league.

That said, Pens' fans are thrilled with what we have, when healthy. Big caveat there. Thank God for that depth this stretch. Goalies is still a big question mark as I can not wait to see what they can do with that defense, healthy, in front of them. That is still a month or so off it seems. I include Staal in that defense along with out other forwards. This defense makes the pens really a team with maybe the fewest exploitable holes in the league. Yeah, wing, wing, wing, blah, blah, blah. The Pens have not had much trouble scoring the last five years, so I do not see wing as some huge exploitable weakness. Top five defense in the league along with what we have with the rest of the team, I will take any day of the week.
Once Fleury starts playing like he should things will be sweet. But Gogo's next contract may see him out of town....probably ask for 4-5M, and if Letang plays this well he will want probably 5M. Hopefully the cap will rise lots so we can afford Gogo/Letang in 3 years aswell as get some wingers. Although we would also have Despres cheap for 3 years.....

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:27 AM
  #60
stefanh
Registered User
 
stefanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Let's not totally get ahead of things here. I love our D, but it's not the best in the league, needs to prove a lot to deserve that title.

I also understand how high people are on players like Goligoski and Letang right now, but we first needs to see over time weather they are able to keep this play up. And should they all do great one of our puck movers will probably have to be moved for a winger at some point. You just shouldn't have 5 defenders for around 4M or more in a cap world.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 05:51 AM
  #61
Killswitch7187
Winter is here
 
Killswitch7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: State College, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Letang was never a consideration, but this blueline is definitely representing the USA well.

Orpik
Goligoski
Martin
Lovejoy
Hutchinson
Strait
Sneep
Samuelsson

Under Shero though, we've never had any shortage of American defenseman

(Whitney, Scuderi, Gill, Eaton)

But yes, impressive list indeed. Always able to re-stock it seems

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 05:52 AM
  #62
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,279
vCash: 500
Agreed.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 05:56 AM
  #63
Killswitch7187
Winter is here
 
Killswitch7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: State College, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
As for our D-core... I agree with the others here who are placing us in the top 3 to 6. And where we are placed ultimately relies on Kris Letang. If he's playing like he has been, then there is no way we're not in the Top 5.

We don't need a "true" number one, because we still have these GUYS (not dependent on one) who will log big-time minutes.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 06:19 AM
  #64
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,961
vCash: 500
I really can't say that there are 5 defensive cores that I'd rather have in the league right now, so we're definitely top 5 in my opinion. Considering that we have our four best defenseman of that group locked up for the next 4 years and Goligoski (who isn't far behind) for another two, I can't say there are more than 1-2 defensive cores I'd rather have for the future, especially if you consider Despres being in the mix.

I can't wait until we see this group healthy again. Best of all, I'm no longer cringing every time I see #3 on the ice like I did for much of last season when I was praying for Bylsma to limit his ES minutes. Whether it was his injury last year that hampered him or he's just improved with experience - he looks fantastic so far. He's actually lead the team in TOI per game so far this season up alongside Letang, who has come into his own as well.

Anybody who thinks this defense isn't top 10 I'd love to see which teams you rank ahead of Pittsburgh.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
  #65
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This. Top five with us being more like 4 or 5. Great depth. But we have no real number one defenseman and without that you can not call yourself the best in the league.

That said, Pens' fans are thrilled with what we have, when healthy. Big caveat there. Thank God for that depth this stretch. Goalies is still a big question mark as I can not wait to see what they can do with that defense, healthy, in front of them. That is still a month or so off it seems. I include Staal in that defense along with out other forwards. This defense makes the pens really a team with maybe the fewest exploitable holes in the league. Yeah, wing, wing, wing, blah, blah, blah. The Pens have not had much trouble scoring the last five years, so I do not see wing as some huge exploitable weakness. Top five defense in the league along with what we have with the rest of the team, I will take any day of the week.
I'm not sure I agree with this theory. The unit as a whole is more important than one player. How Martin and Letang (and even Goligoski) are playing right now, all of them, including Orpik and Michalek, can eat top pairing type mins, and Martin can be that guy who goes against the oppositions best. Not many teams can say what we can. From the looks of it, we have 5 minute munching defensemen on our hands.

I said it right after we signed him, that if Martin puts up 45-50 points here, he'll be considered by many more, a number 1 defenseman.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:19 AM
  #66
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,158
vCash: 500
Good thread. This group have definitely potential Top 3, if not best, in a few years when Despres and Bortuzzo in our roster. Letang and Gogo will be in their prime. Orpik may be gone when his contract ends.

Martin
Michalek
Letang
Despres
Gogo
Bortuzzo

We're really fortunate that we will see a very strong unit for many years to come.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:28 AM
  #67
PensFreak
Registered User
 
PensFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Top five at least. Could be top 3 in my mind if they keep playing this well

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:29 AM
  #68
Pick87your71Poison
Registered User
 
Pick87your71Poison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
I really can't say that there are 5 defensive cores that I'd rather have in the league right now, so we're definitely top 5 in my opinion. Considering that we have our four best defenseman of that group locked up for the next 4 years and Goligoski (who isn't far behind) for another two, I can't say there are more than 1-2 defensive cores I'd rather have for the future, especially if you consider Despres being in the mix.

I can't wait until we see this group healthy again. Best of all, I'm no longer cringing every time I see #3 on the ice like I did for much of last season when I was praying for Bylsma to limit his ES minutes. Whether it was his injury last year that hampered him or he's just improved with experience - he looks fantastic so far. He's actually lead the team in TOI per game so far this season up alongside Letang, who has come into his own as well.

Anybody who thinks this defense isn't top 10 I'd love to see which teams you rank ahead of Pittsburgh.
Agreed and exactly what I was going to say. Don't want to go overboard this early in the season, especially when the group has barely been healthy enough to all play together yet, but as much as it surprises me to say this, there are a lot of people on here underestimating how good that d-core is and can be. Very solid in all areas with outstanding mobility.

Pick87your71Poison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:40 AM
  #69
fortier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I am glad to see that my tread is popular

At first , i know that my statement may seem to be an exageration but i am dead serious about your defense.


I started to think about this when you signed Martin ans Michalek in July.

My only concern was Goligoski but he is a lot better defensively.

+

Letang - Orpik: They have long playoffs experience and they are better than 2 years ago by far

Martin was in the best defensive system for so long in New Jersey and he is vgood in the 3 zones.

Finally : Michalek the most underrated defenseman until July in the NHL:

Result: The best core in the NHL.

We have a good core in Montreal:

Markov
Subban
Gill
Spacek
Gorges

but my second favorite team (Pittsburgh) are in business for real and for the next 4 years easily !!

By the way my 2 idols: Lemieux (from Montreal)

and

Sidney Crosby (i drove to Rimouski 4 times in 2003-2004-2005) (5 hours) to see the Crosbyshow

He was unbelievable in the junior !!

But Lemieux was in an other stratosphere in Laval in 82-83-84.

The most dominant hockey player i'vs seen. His last game : 6 goals and 5 assist..

fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:59 AM
  #70
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,946
vCash: 500
Letang looked rough in the first 2-3 games but I think he's really come on of late. He seems to be playing with the assertiveness and confidence that he did in the last two playoff runs (but was missing in the regular season). Hopefully he continues.

I don't expect him (or Goligoski) to keep up their current point streaks but it looks realistic that we'll have 3 40 point d-men. Which, to me, is more impressive than Carolina's 4 30 point d-men two years ago.

And I, personally, am giddy over the overall talent and hockey smarts we have on our blueline. I haven't seen a Pens D this stacked in a good 18 or 19 years. It's awesome.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:13 PM
  #71
Killiecrankie*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
Letang is a G6


Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard
When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard
Sippin sizzurp in my ride, like Three 6
Now I'm feelin so fly like a G6
Like a G6, Like a G6
Now I'm feelin so fly like a G6

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
  #72
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountJ View Post


There's always hope.
Haha, well, he held the fort last time anyway.

I'll just pray that if Bobby Lou makes the team, Big Buff (and anyone from the Minnesota Wild?) doesn't make Team USA.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:37 PM
  #73
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Letang was never a consideration, but this blueline is definitely representing the USA well.

Orpik
Goligoski
Martin
Lovejoy
Hutchinson
Strait
Sneep
Samuelsson

That defense has me freaking out...


EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:24 PM
  #74
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this theory. The unit as a whole is more important than one player. How Martin and Letang (and even Goligoski) are playing right now, all of them, including Orpik and Michalek, can eat top pairing type mins, and Martin can be that guy who goes against the oppositions best. Not many teams can say what we can. From the looks of it, we have 5 minute munching defensemen on our hands.

I said it right after we signed him, that if Martin puts up 45-50 points here, he'll be considered by many more, a number 1 defenseman.
If that happens then we would move up. As well as the other pens defensemen taking a step up as they seem to be doing in this young season. But it has not happened yet. Right now there are other defensive cores who are also stacked and have a definitive number one as well. To me that is the separator. But we are not far off from any defense in the league, and our core is mostly young or just entering its prime so should only get much better. Not just for now, but our future defensively looks even brighter. And that does not even include players like Simon Despres in the minors.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:21 PM
  #75
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,139
vCash: 500
I think having a legitimate number 1 defenseman is overrated. We had one for years in Gonchar, and I'd take this defense without one than any of our defenses with one.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.