HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

38th Obsequious Banter Thread: The unnamed one

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Mr Oysterhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I'm not saying the assignment doesn't suck, but it should be a lot easier to hammer out by needing sources. Use six or seven and just run wild with it -- as long as you're being relatively sane it shouldn't be too much a kick in the balls.
Yeah as long as I can find sources it'll be easy. It's the research thats really lame though. I hate reading a bunch of over analytical crap, that's borderline relevant at best, on a book that was massively boring.

Rivera's book was pretty cool, but our professor said there isn't much source material on him. Probably gonna have to focus on Cather and she sucks balls.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I'm looking for pictures to do some 'shop requests. I go to JVR's facebook page and see this:

Quote:
Ville Leino Hey riemsdork How's ur yankees
LMAO

Old
10-22-2010, 10:53 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I'm looking for pictures to do some 'shop requests. I go to JVR's facebook page and see this:

LMAO
I just tried to add him, and I can't wtf.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:58 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Anybody see the Glee chicks in GQ lol.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post

LMAO
Solid.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:09 AM
chaosof99*

Recently I've started to wonder if the whole Miami Dream Team business is going to hurt the NBA in the end, as people might start to realize that the NBA is basically just a three or four team league. If it does, it would probably help the NHL along with getting some more fans who are looking for an actually competitive team sport.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:59 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Recently I've started to wonder if the whole Miami Dream Team business is going to hurt the NBA in the end, as people might start to realize that the NBA is basically just a three or four team league. If it does, it would probably help the NHL along with getting some more fans who are looking for an actually competitive team sport.
NBA fans and NHL fans are a completely different breed. Without going into tremendous detail, racial and cultural barriers would assuredly keep the majority of each fan base from converting.

I would say that if the NHL wants to 'steal' fans from any sport it would be baseball. Those two fan bases seem largely cross correlated.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I would say that if the NHL wants to 'steal' fans from any sport it would be baseball. Those two fan bases seem largely cross correlated.
I don't think they are in any big competition because each league is playing its playoffs when the other is just warming up. You could easily be both a Baseball and a hockey fan at the same time whereas you can't really do that with the NBA and NHL because they are pretty much on at the same time.

My thoughts were also not really about hardcore NBA fans that are so culturally distinct from NHL fans, but rather about the casual sports fan.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:08 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
It's been that way for years. I doubt LeBron going to the Heat is going to change anything other than the locale of one of the four teams that matter.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
NBA fans and NHL fans are a completely different breed. Without going into tremendous detail, racial and cultural barriers would assuredly keep the majority of each fan base from converting.

Also, the televisions in prison generally don't get Versus so most basketball fans don't even get a chance to watch ice hockey.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:26 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Also, the televisions in prison generally don't get Versus so most basketball fans don't even get a chance to watch ice hockey.
Yeah... I was trying not to direct the conversation down that path, but as they say.... "It be da trooff dawg"

Old
10-23-2010, 10:29 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
I don't think they are in any big competition because each league is playing its playoffs when the other is just warming up. You could easily be both a Baseball and a hockey fan at the same time whereas you can't really do that with the NBA and NHL because they are pretty much on at the same time.

My thoughts were also not really about hardcore NBA fans that are so culturally distinct from NHL fans, but rather about the casual sports fan.
Actually, the NHL and baseball are competitors are the key times in both of their seasons. MLB playoffs coincide with the start of the NHL season and NHL playoffs coincide with the start of the MLB season.

The start and end of a league's season is when they receive the most viewership due to the long schedules. Fans will miss a MLB game in July or a NHL game in January because "it doesn't matter.", but for fans starved for the sport, after a long offseason, they will watch the first month even though it doesn't matter any more than the mid-portion of the schedule, and playoffs are obviously your biggest draw.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Perfect sports weekend for me. My top 4 teams all play.

Flyers @ 7
Rutgers football @ Noon
Phillies @ 8
Ravens @ 1 tomorrow

Old
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Not sure if this has been posted but decent interview with Hartnell.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...your-questions

Old
10-23-2010, 01:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Keith Primeau article...

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=2813655

Quote:
Keith Primeau was looking for a different place for his team to play and is happy he chose Peterborough.

The 14-year NHL veteran, including the last six seasons of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers before he retired four years ago, brought his Philadelphia Team Comcast unit north to compete in the Coach Canada Bantam Icefest AAA hockey tournament at local arenas here this week.

They dropped their first game but rebounded to beat the host Peterborough minor bantam Petes 6-1 at the Evinrude Centre at noon Friday. Opening ceremonies took place before the game with several dignitaries taking part. The loss also left Peterborough at 1-1.

"We have gone to bigger tournaments but I was looking for a different experience for the boys," said the coach, whose younger brother Wayne also played in the NHL. "I played minor hockey in Whitby and came here many times and wanted the boys to experience the grass roots of hockey in Ontario. I thought this was the place to come. I wanted them to experience what it was like playing against these teams."

Despite Peterborough's Kerry Huffman also playing for the Flyers, Primeau said that had nothing to do with his decision to come here.

"When I heard about the tournament, I applied right away," he said. "We brought two teams and thought it was a great tournament for us. It is great to back here and also gives family and friends a chance to see us. It was the whole experience."

It is the second tournament for Team Comcast. They were in Washington a few weeks ago. They are currently 3-5 in regular season play.

"I thought we were moving our feet and the defence jumped up into the rush well (against the Minor Petes)," sad Primeau.

Peterborough coach Mike Lytle said it was good for his squad to play a team like Philadelphia.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:56 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I woke up this morning believing that I had read Michael Leighton was done for the season... I was only mildly surprised not to see a thread about it when I checked in today.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I woke up this morning believing that I had read Michael Leighton was done for the season... I was only mildly surprised not to see a thread about it when I checked in today.
You must still be asleep

Old
10-23-2010, 05:16 PM
UseYourAllusion

**** Nova homecoming. Making a line at my beer store...

Old
10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Richyrich

So, I had a ****ing terrible night last night.

First, at work (I have a night-time service industry job to make ends meat until i graduate). I had to deal with a ******** of ********** and completely ****faced people who, coincidentally, did not tip, so I'm already in a bad mood... HOWEVER...

After work me and my girlfriend meet up at a bar and she is getting hit on a lot... Not a big deal, just another slight annoyance leading up to, what is possibly, my greatest show of restraint ever.

So, Me and my girlfriend are sitting and talking with some friends of hers that she ran into when a man from england or ireland or wherever sits down next to me and asks to bum a 2 cigarettes. I oblige and then, for some reason, he just starts tearing into me. He announces to everyone that I am "a ******" and that I "aspire to be a *****."

At this point I quietly turn around and start a conversation with someone else. The brit starts obnoxiously making out with the woman he is with only to stop and announce to everyone in the room that I have a small penis. He then gets my girlfriend's attention and inquires about the actual size of my penis, insisting to her that it is, in fact, quite small. This continues for just about my entire stay there

I have never (1) wanted to hit someone so badly in my life and (2) been so proud of myself that I didn't

Old
10-23-2010, 06:56 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
So, I had a ****ing terrible night last night.

First, at work (I have a night-time service industry job to make ends meat until i graduate). I had to deal with a ******** of ********** and completely ****faced people who, coincidentally, did not tip, so I'm already in a bad mood... HOWEVER...

After work me and my girlfriend meet up at a bar and she is getting hit on a lot... Not a big deal, just another slight annoyance leading up to, what is possibly, my greatest show of restraint ever.

So, Me and my girlfriend are sitting and talking with some friends of hers that she ran into when a man from england or ireland or wherever sits down next to me and asks to bum a 2 cigarettes. I oblige and then, for some reason, he just starts tearing into me. He announces to everyone that I am "a ******" and that I "aspire to be a *****."

At this point I quietly turn around and start a conversation with someone else. The brit starts obnoxiously making out with the woman he is with only to stop and announce to everyone in the room that I have a small penis. He then gets my girlfriend's attention and inquires about the actual size of my penis, insisting to her that it is, in fact, quite small. This continues for just about my entire stay there

I have never (1) wanted to hit someone so badly in my life and (2) been so proud of myself that I didn't
I would have flipped on the guy.

Old
10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Anyone got any costume ideas for a dude with a beard? Ones I already rejected are pirate, santa, Abe Lincoln, Al Borland, and Jesus. I'm thinking homeless guy but that seems too easy. I usually have an obscure costume (was W.B. Mason a few years ago) or something very offensive (abortion doctor the year before).

Old
10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I would have flipped on the guy.
There were three things preventing me from doing so. (1) I have known the bartender my entire life and don't want to get into a fight at his place of work, (2) My girlfriend was there, and (3) I was so ****ing tired I didn't think the effort of pitting my first through his face hole was worth it.

I'm also a pacifist but yeah, I was pretty steaming.

Old
10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone got any costume ideas for a dude with a beard? Ones I already rejected are pirate, santa, Abe Lincoln, Al Borland, and Jesus. I'm thinking homeless guy but that seems too easy. I usually have an obscure costume (was W.B. Mason a few years ago) or something very offensive (abortion doctor the year before).
drunk santa always wins. Women will sit on your lap and you can be hilarious

Old
10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
drunk santa always wins. Women will sit on your lap and you can be hilarious
Nah I have a black/brown beard and also a fiance so that doesn't work too well. Haha.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:26 PM
JVR21
G

In the etrade commercial where the kid goes through the history, what exactly is going on? Is it sheep or what, because I don't get it.

Closed Thread