HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#6 - 10.23.2010 | New York Rangers @ Boston Bruins | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Let's Go Rangers!
Please beat the Bruins, I can't stand their team and moreso, their bandwagon fans.
Maybe it's personal with me because in college I roomed with the most ONOXIOUS Bruins fan you can imagine, but I just hate them!

I hate how they are so hyped up to be this loyal, hardcore fanbase when they are as fickle as you have seen.
When I went to college in Boston, from 1995-2008 (no, I wasn't in school THAT long), the Bruins were below the radar...we're talking NJ Devils low.

They drew 13,000 for a playoff, a PLAYOFF game in 2003.
In 2006, we invaded their house and were chanting MVP MVP to Jagr.
Then...all of the sudden in 2008...they start winning and whalala...it's back to calling themselves a hockey town that just took a sabatacle because of Jeremy Jacobs.
Meantime we've been stuck with Dolan for over a decade and suffered through the crap of the 1980s with the smurfs, the late 90s teams which were hideous, and mediocracy that would cause the Bruins fans to move since the Cup, and what do we do?
Show in mass 18,200 at home and still travel on the road, and do we get ANY credit.

Nope, none. We don't get called a hockeytown, our fans and our town aren't recognized for being a loyla, hardcore base.
That goes to the frauds in Boston who back in 2007, had a lower STH base than Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...I forgot to mention
1) Jack Edwards calls their games...who is a clown that was hired because his calls are so outrageous...they alone get the team on the 11 o'clock news.
2) Andy Brickley and his annoying accent does color.
3) Mike Milbury is seen as "god" by their base and cool.
4) Cam Neely is seen as the best power forward ever despite never scoring 100 points and missing games worse than Gaborik
5) Milan Lucic is called the next coming of Cam Neely

What an annoying, overrated fanbase...kick their butts and put 'em in their place!

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammarye View Post
Let's Go Rangers!
Please beat the Bruins, I can't stand their team and moreso, their bandwagon fans.
Maybe it's personal with me because in college I roomed with the most ONOXIOUS Bruins fan you can imagine, but I just hate them!

I hate how they are so hyped up to be this loyal, hardcore fanbase when they are as fickle as you have seen.
When I went to college in Boston, from 1995-2008 (no, I wasn't in school THAT long), the Bruins were below the radar...we're talking NJ Devils low.

Then...all of the sudden in 2008...they start winning and whalala...it's back to calling themselves a hockey town that just took a sabatacle because of Jeremy Jacobs.
Meantime we've been stuck with Dolan for over a decade and suffered through the crap of the 1980s with the smurfs, the late 90s teams which were hideous, and mediocracy that would cause the Bruins fans to move since the Cup, and what do we do?
Show in mass 18,200 at home and still travel on the road, and do we get ANY credit.

Nope, none. We don't get called a hockeytown, our fans and our town aren't recognized for being a loyla, hardcore base.
That goes to the frauds in Boston who back in 2007, had a lower STH base than Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...I forgot to mention
1) Jack Edwards calls their games...who is a clown that was hired because his calls are so outrageous...they alone get the team on the 11 o'clock news.
4) Cam Neely is seen as the best power forward ever despite never scoring 100 points and missing games worse than Gaborik

What an annoying, overrated fanbase...kick their butts and put 'em in their place!
Disagree. Everyone knows we are loyal and have a hardcore fanbase, although it is often overlooked because of the Yankees. And everyone knows we travel well on the road. I expect there to be large contingent of Ranger fans at tonights game.

And as far as fanbases are concerned, I respect the Bruins fans a hell of alot more than most other fanbases, especially Pitts, Philly, Washington and NJ (If you can even call that a fanbase). So with that being said, I think some of your post is unfair. But agree 100% with Jack Edwards lol

10-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

#NYRangers John Tortorella said he liked what he saw from Gilroy-Sauer pairing in last game. Both kept it simple, Gilly's defense improving.
-----------

Bah-bye Steve.
This certainly makes my afternoon

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:06 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
That was the game where the Bruins announcer was ripping on MDZ for such a low +/- and he started a beautiful give and go to shut him up. I hate Edwards so much...he such a *********

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9cLEwVwghM

Lots of Ranger fans at that game btw
Oh god...as I said for a so called hockey town we always travel in hordes up there and they travel for nothing down at MSG.

I was there in 2006 for the Jagr goal and the MVP chants.

Heck here is the AP wrap-up

Last January
Quote:
After New York took control in the third, the TD Garden crowd was quiet and a chant of 'Let's Go Rangers' could be easily heard echoing through the building.http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=300109001
April 2006
Quote:
There were a number of Rangers fans in the crowd and, at times, when Jagr was on the ice chants of "MVP" echoed throughout the buildinghttp://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260408001
I was at MSG for the Bruins game last year...they were an endangered species their fans...so for a so called "hub" of hockey...we own them in terms of loyalty and being hardcore.
God I hate 'em!

Old
10-23-2010, 01:07 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Let's Go Rangers!

Oh...I forgot to mention

First off, welcome to the Boards!!!!

Secondly, I hate everything about the Bruins as well...but..

Please, lay off of Bam Bam Cam, the guy was phenomenal. Loved watching this guy even though I'm a Rangers fan. Heart of a Lion, multiple 50 goal scorer and total class act..

50 goals in 49 games played in 93/94....guy was sick

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:12 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
These games are usually low scoring. I remember one recently up there that was a 0-0 blockfest and a shutout that Hank lost in a SO.

Boston is going to be a good team this year, so the Rangers have to concentrate on playing their game and not letting them take control. I think the game plan should be the forecheck again, owning the neutral zone and keeping the Bruins offense to the perimeter.

The Rangers played a great road game against Toronto and they need to do the same if they want points in Boston, but I think theyll have to cash in on the great chances they get because A. I dont think theyll be too many and B. Thomas has been red hot. A .978 sv%? is that for real? lol

I feel like Stepan is going to have a good one, and Frolov needs to score again - not sure if he will but he needs to to get his confidence up. He needs to get into shooting position better.
Thomas has been as good as those numbers, too....but Rask is starting tonight. Tuukka's been good against the Rangers, not that that means much, and as good as Thomas has been, you can't have your future franchise goalie and possible #1 this season sitting for so long.

Since I doubt any of you has ties to NYR coaching staff, and Tortorella & co. know how to work a video tape anyway, I'll say that the key to the playing against the Bruins is a strong forecheck. Hem their defensemen in and they will start to get tired and lazy and won't be able to clear the zone. Would have killed them against the Capitals if not for TT.

The flipside to this, however, is if the Bruins do get a quick out of the zone on a strong forecheck, they have many talented passers to stretch the ice and get into the offensive zone and hem the other team in for long periods of time (The Krejci & Bergy lines have been putting on a clinic of cycling lately.)

And so far, they've been more like the 2008-2009 Bruins that will clog the neutral zone and layer their defense, but actually score and make opponents pay for mistakes. The 2009-2010 Bruins did this very well, too, but they just couldn't make teams pay by scoring on counterattack.

Here's to a good game. Don't have tickets to this one, but I'll be at the 1st one @ MSG.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:16 PM
mjd877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
First off, welcome to the Boards!!!!

Secondly, I hate everything about the Bruins as well...but..

Please, lay off of Bam Bam Cam, the guy was phenomenal. Loved watching this guy even though I'm a Rangers fan. Heart of a Lion, multiple 50 goal scorer and total class act..

50 goals in 49 games played in 93/94....guy was sick
50 in 44, but whos counting ;-)

mjd877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Let's Go Rangers!

Oh...I forgot to mention

I went to college in Boston and lived in the city for a few years afterwards. I hate every sports team and Im absolutely ecstatic when they lose.

One thing you need to realize -- Cam Neely was a monster. Easily the best power forward in the NHL before OV and scored 50 goals in 50 games on one serviceable knee.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:18 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Disagree. Everyone knows we are loyal and have a hardcore fanbase, although it is often overlooked because of the Yankees. And everyone knows we travel well on the road. I expect there to be large contingent of Ranger fans at tonights game.

And as far as fanbases are concerned, I respect the Bruins fans a hell of alot more than most other fanbases, especially Pitts, Philly, Washington and NJ (If you can even call that a fanbase). So with that being said, I think some of your post is unfair. But agree 100% with Jack Edwards lol
We NEVER EVER get acknowledgement in that national hockey media for being a great, loyal, hardcore fanbase.
NEVER.
When in 2007 they ranked NHL fanbases, the Rangers on yahoo were ranked below Boston and with LA and Washington.
This despite us showing up in spite of our stupid owner (Dolan) while Boston stuck their nose at the Bruins from 1992-1008 (and they did, I lived there...nobody wore a Bruins shirt, nobody talked hockey, people laughed at you if you wanted to go to a hockey game).

Ranger fans are much more loyal and hardcore.
The litmus test is when you stink or are trapped in a vaccum of medorcarcy.
97-2004 and 2008-onward.
We stank, and we drew 18,200 home and showed up on the road.

They were constant contenders from 69-92 but when they had ONE dry spell, as soon as it started they left...and they don't have 2 MLB and NFL teams competing with them.
To me, that says they are Caps fans lite.

I hate the Flyers with a passion, but I have a heck of a lot more respect for their fanbase than I ever will for the Bruins because Flyer fans have been there ever since I followed hockey 20 years ago.
They were there during Tim Kerr and their 5 year drought of no playoffs.
Bruins fans abandoned a good, decent team 93-2008 (13,000 at a playoff game) whinning about the owner and about how hockey was too soft and not "Big Bad Bruins."

They're fickle...it's not a hockeytown anymore than anywhere USA.

As for Pens fans, I've been to PIT many times. I'd argue PIT is the best, pure sportstown. It's all blue collar and they love their team. The Pens didn't draw when they held a fire sale and had an AHL team out there, but they still got good TV ratings.
PIT is a small market so they lack the corporate $$$ and their fans are cheap, so during lean times it's harder for them $$$ for a game...but the interest is there.

In Boston...you tried talking hockey pre-2008 and you were gawked at.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:19 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd877 View Post
50 in 44, but whos counting ;-)
Knew it was the second ever fastest to 50 after Wayne, but I thought he played 49 games that season, eaither way, tremendous.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:20 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I went to college in Boston and lived in the city for a few years afterwards. I hate every sports team and Im absolutely ecstatic when they lose.

One thing you need to realize -- Cam Neely was a monster. Easily the best power forward in the NHL before OV and scored 50 goals in 50 games on one serviceable knee.
The guy was ALWAYS injured...pre-Ulf.
He NEVER scored 100 points during a time in which Tim Kerr/Brian Bradly were racking it in.

I think he was one of the most overrated players in the history of the game, and am tired of hearing how great he was.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Let's Go Rangers!

Oh...I forgot to mention

Welcome back, mucker.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
mjd877

Quote:
We NEVER EVER get acknowledgement in that national hockey media for being a great, loyal, hardcore fanbase.
NEVER.
When in 2007 they ranked NHL fanbases, the Rangers on yahoo were ranked below Boston and with LA and Washington.
This despite us showing up in spite of our stupid owner (Dolan) while Boston stuck their nose at the Bruins from 1992-1008 (and they did, I lived there...nobody wore a Bruins shirt, nobody talked hockey, people laughed at you if you wanted to go to a hockey game).

Ranger fans are much more loyal and hardcore.
The litmus test is when you stink or are trapped in a vaccum of medorcarcy.
97-2004 and 2008-onward.
We stank, and we drew 18,200 home and showed up on the road.

They were constant contenders from 69-92 but when they had ONE dry spell, as soon as it started they left...and they don't have 2 MLB and NFL teams competing with them.
To me, that says they are Caps fans lite.

I hate the Flyers with a passion, but I have a heck of a lot more respect for their fanbase than I ever will for the Bruins because Flyer fans have been there ever since I followed hockey 20 years ago.
They were there during Tim Kerr and their 5 year drought of no playoffs.
Bruins fans abandoned a good, decent team 93-2008 (13,000 at a playoff game) whinning about the owner and about how hockey was too soft and not "Big Bad Bruins."

They're fickle...it's not a hockeytown anymore than anywhere USA.

As for Pens fans, I've been to PIT many times. I'd argue PIT is the best, pure sportstown. It's all blue collar and they love their team. The Pens didn't draw when they held a fire sale and had an AHL team out there, but they still got good TV ratings.
PIT is a small market so they lack the corporate $$$ and their fans are cheap, so during lean times it's harder for them $$$ for a game...but the interest is there.

In Boston...you tried talking hockey pre-2008 and you were gawked at.
You're painting an entire fan base with a pretty broad brush dont you think? I can speak for myself when I say my social life between October and until the season ends revolves around the Bruins. I skipped out on the UNH/UMass game, full day of BBQ and beers with buddies to go to tonights game. I schedule business trips around where the Bruins are playing and if I'm not landing in time to get home and catch the face off I sit at logan and watch the game at a bar....then drive home. There is most certainly a diehard fan base. I'm one of many. It just so happened that the Patriots and Red Sox were winning championships while the Bs were mediocre, the fans focus was elsewhere....that reminds me, couple years ago, nov 13th 2008 the Pats were playing the Jets...BUT the Bs were playing Montreal. I had tickets and went to the Pats game but stayed in Bar Louie to watch the Bs instead.

Listen tonight. You'll hear us.

mjd877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
NYRangers16

Can't wait for tonight's game! Hope the Rangers play as hard as they did the last game.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Predicting a 3-1 loss. Hoping for the same work ethic as last game.

LETS GO RANGERS!!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
The guy was ALWAYS injured...pre-Ulf.
He NEVER scored 100 points during a time in which Tim Kerr/Brian Bradly were racking it in.

I think he was one of the most overrated players in the history of the game, and am tired of hearing how great he was.
Dude, are you serious? Brian Bradley????? Brian Bradley the default TB Lighting all star?

And Tim Kerr was one dimensional. He stood in the crease and converted rebounds.

Neely was always injured because of the style he played. He fought. He hit. And Neely was an exceptional playmaker.

While I totally agree that he should not be in the Hall of Fame, you can't deny that he was part of an elite crop of players in his generation.

4 x 2nd team all star in a 7 year period. That's pretty impressive.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Anyway I expect a boring game. I hate Claude Julien.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
AJRanger

I won't mind a loss as long as they show the same heart as they did in TO. At least play with some consistency, win or lose.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:56 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd877 View Post
You're painting an entire fan base with a pretty broad brush dont you think? I can speak for myself when I say my social life between October and until the season ends revolves around the Bruins. I skipped out on the UNH/UMass game, full day of BBQ and beers with buddies to go to tonights game. I schedule business trips around where the Bruins are playing and if I'm not landing in time to get home and catch the face off I sit at logan and watch the game at a bar....then drive home. There is most certainly a diehard fan base. I'm one of many. It just so happened that the Patriots and Red Sox were winning championships while the Bs were mediocre, the fans focus was elsewhere....that reminds me, couple years ago, nov 13th 2008 the Pats were playing the Jets...BUT the Bs were playing Montreal. I had tickets and went to the Pats game but stayed in Bar Louie to watch the Bs instead.

Listen tonight. You'll hear us.
Listen tonight...you'll hear "Potvin sucks" whistles, "Let's Go Rangers" chants, and cheering if the Rangers score.

I'm not saying there aren't diehards, and that you aren't a diehard...the people there in 2006 were diehards (and actually pretty nice), but the Bruins themselves were completely shunned by Boston once they were no longer a contender.
Boston will not support a middle of the water decent team, much less cellar dweller, like New York has with the Rangers.

And do we Ranger fans get called the hub of hockey? Nope, we get marganiized as "well you have 8 million people so it's just because of that", people use that line all the time to dimish the loyalty and hardcore support of the Rangers when we have a medicore team, and compete with 8 other sports teams in a market that is far more diverse than Boston.

The Red Sox and Patriots weren't winning titles in the mid to late 90s, nor where they doing much in the spring on 2003 when you drew 13,000 at a playoff game.

Again, you might be hardcore (and you are, great), but your fanbase and they hype surronding the Bruins popularity is completely inflated, overstated, and overrated.
I was there, and let me tell you that your hardcore base is good, but small (see 2007 STH numbers).

You're not hardcore like New York Ranger fans, because when tested with a medicore team for the first time in 30 years in 1995....your city fled and shunned hockey until it got "cool (see winning)" again in 2008.

That is what I call fair weather and bandwagon. You aren't, but your base and city is.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Looking forward to tonight's game, don't get the Bruins hate though. They're probably the only Boston team I repsect. Original 6 team and I like the way they play. They're definitely better than the the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders, and Devils. They're a tough team, but not a goonish team a la Flyers. But whatever here's to a great game

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Dude, are you serious? Brian Bradley????? Brian Bradley the default TB Lighting all star?

And Tim Kerr was one dimensional. He stood in the crease and converted rebounds.

Neely was always injured because of the style he played. He fought. He hit. And Neely was an exceptional playmaker.

While I totally agree that he should not be in the Hall of Fame, you can't deny that he was part of an elite crop of players in his generation.

4 x 2nd team all star in a 7 year period. That's pretty impressive.
Neely was a very good player, a dynamic player, but who has been completely overhyped and overrated as this indestructable dominant force.

Where he to that extent, a Hall of Famer, he should've been topping 100 points and been a little less injury prone.

Kevin Stevens put up better seasons and numbers and isn't in the Hall of Fame.
Not saying Neely isn't better than Kevin Stevens, but for somebody as glorified as him you'd expect during an era where EVERYBODY was scoring 100 points...he'd have done better.

Old
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Looking forward to tonight's game, don't get the Bruins hate though. They're probably the only Boston team I repsect. Original 6 team and I like the way they play. They're definitely better than the the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders, and Devils. They're a tough team, but not a goonish team a la Flyers. But whatever here's to a great game
They're better than the Islanders, but I don't think they are a better team than the Penguins, Flyers, and maybe Devils.
Historically the Bruins have been goons (Derek Sanderson) or goonish wannabes (Mike Milbury).
Hence the "Big Bad Bruins" hype and the mass exodus 1995-2008 because "the NHL doesn't have enough fighting and hitting."

Old
10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Never hated the Bruins because Happy Gilmore was a Bruins fan .

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

You gotta understand that the Bruins lost their identity when the Garden was demolished. They went fromn the Big Bad Bruins who played tight, sound defense and would beat the snot out of you, to being soft and lazy.

The Fleet opened in 1995-96. In 1997, Neely retired, the Bruins were the worst team in hockey and traded Adam Oates. That killed the fan base.

So to make up for the small crowds at the Fleet, they used fake crowd noise and all these gimmicks. Really sad for anybody who was at the Garden when it rocked.

On top of that, Jacobs was still charging an arm and a leg for tickets while letting players walk, the Red Sox and Patriots became elite teams and the Big Dig was making traffic around Causeway Street a nightmare.

Just some of the reasons why hockey took a hit in Boston. It should in no way be called "Hockeytown". Maybe "College Hockey Town", but not for the NHL games.

Old
10-23-2010, 02:19 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

dam mams you sure got a hard one for beantown, guess the fans couldve used ya when milbury tried to penny loafer that fan to death, eh?.
i have to admit i cant stand the low scoring trapesque julien teams and hope there will be a little fisticuff action if there isn't much scoring.
lets go Hank and lets go blueshirts

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote