HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane O B

Old
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
PredsChik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
That's strange, because on the replay it looks as if Wilson is heading right over there immediately, with everyone else.
Just saying what she told me, I was sitting in 333, she was sitting 10 rows back in the corner in 108. He may have been on the way and he still have said something, who knows.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It was Erat he motioned over.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
PredsChik

The point of what I said had nothing to do with who it was. The idea that he wanted everybody included was what I was getting at.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 05:49 PM
braindead

I wish we had somebody on the boards that knew him personally so we could get an idea of what kind of guy he is.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
The point of what I said had nothing to do with who it was. The idea that he wanted everybody included was what I was getting at.
I only questioned it because I wondered if Wilson had felt slighted about something so didn't join right in. Because that seemed just slightly odd to need a guy to tell other guys to join up. So I looked at what Wilson had been up to.

Yeah that's good O'Brien wanted everybody on the ice to celebrate and be recognized by each other. The way it should be. He seems alright to me.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I wish we had somebody on the boards that knew him personally so we could get an idea of what kind of guy he is.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
lightning_legwand*

number 55

Is SOB the first ever predator to wear that number?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:41 PM
trotzian brow

Tootoo wore #55 while Greg Johnson had #22

I think Danny Markov wore #55 too

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Is SOB the first ever predator to wear that number?
No, Tootoo used to wear it (because it resembles backwards 22)

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
MarkMM

barrytrotzneck just posted this on the Canucks board, if you want a pretty good summary of people's feelings about SOB, check it out.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=833842

Overall, pretty much consensus, everyone liked him, everyone recognized his ability, there were just off-ice issues that burnt too many bridges. Some feel it's partly the coach's fault as he has the reputation of holding a grudge (and having bizarre man-love crushes on certain players that just can't seem to justify it).

Some say it's just Nashville's (Trotz's?) ability to turn coal into diamonds, especially on defense.

Some say he's one of the classic cases of a guy who just needed a change of scenery (it's noted that both SOB and Hamhuis are playing better than their respective previous fans predicted they would).

And some say that he has the reputation of starting out strongly and then fading (TB and Van), so it's a cautionary tale.

Best quote, I don't think this was meant as an insult to him, but when discussing how the trade worked out for Vancouver, this gem:

"Parent has been decent as a #8 defenseman".

Seriously, it wasn't meant as an insult I don't think, but it's just funny.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
barrytrotzneck just posted this on the Canucks board, if you want a pretty good summary of people's feelings about SOB, check it out.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=833842

Overall, pretty much consensus, everyone liked him, everyone recognized his ability, there were just off-ice issues that burnt too many bridges. Some feel it's partly the coach's fault as he has the reputation of holding a grudge (and having bizarre man-love crushes on certain players that just can't seem to justify it).

Some say it's just Nashville's (Trotz's?) ability to turn coal into diamonds, especially on defense.

Some say he's one of the classic cases of a guy who just needed a change of scenery (it's noted that both SOB and Hamhuis are playing better than their respective previous fans predicted they would).

And some say that he has the reputation of starting out strongly and then fading (TB and Van), so it's a cautionary tale.

Best quote, I don't think this was meant as an insult to him, but when discussing how the trade worked out for Vancouver, this gem:

"Parent has been decent as a #8 defenseman".

Seriously, it wasn't meant as an insult I don't think, but it's just funny.
well, it started out as insightful, but it's degenerated into,

"SOB will crash back down to earth, oh, and by the way, Hamhuis could be a number one defenseman and was better last year than Suter and Weber"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:54 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

"SOB will crash back down to earth, oh, and by the way, Hamhuis could be a number one defenseman and was better last year than Suter and Weber"

Geez...all good things must come to an end. (Though hopefully not Nashville's strong play...but hopefully the Canucks' poor play will!)

Okay, then everybody read what I wrote, and pretend that's all there's to see on the Canucks board!

I think SOB's past history of starting strong then faltering is something that should be kept in mind, but not written in stone. Trotz's record with defensemen is one reason to give it the benefit of the doubt, SOB's I think genuine efforts to improve in areas is another good sign, and to some degree Alain Vigneault has a bit of a reputation for holding a grudge, so there's mitigating circumstances that I hope prove that SOB has blossomed.

Haha, don't know where some got inflated ideas of Hamhuis last year, but in case y'all are curious about him, he's doing really, really, really well here, #1/2 defenseman type well. I hope both he and SOB keep it up.

(And will you take Bieksa for us? Please. No? Then will Columbus? )

Old
10-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Not surprised to hear that about Hamhuis. Similar to Canuck fan's underselling SOB, Predator fans also undersold Hamhuis. Seems like both players just needed a change of scenery.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

LoL. Now I am getting called a troll when I did nothing but come on there in peace and talk about why Nashville people say "good riddance" to Hamhuis. Funny how speaking facts about the situation somehow leads me to being a troll.

Quote:

Geez...all good things must come to an end. (Though hopefully not Nashville's strong play...but hopefully the Canucks' poor play will!)

Okay, then everybody read what I wrote, and pretend that's all there's to see on the Canucks board!

Haha, don't know where some got inflated ideas of Hamhuis last year, but in case y'all are curious about him, he's doing really, really, really well here, #1/2 defenseman type well. I hope both he and SOB keep it up.
Haha, no worries Mark. I agree about Hamhuis and O'Brien. I hope Hammer turns into a #1 dman for you guys. It couldn't happen to a better guy, but on the same token, I hope O'Brien turns into a great #4 for us who continues to play physical and clear out the crease.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
LoL. Now I am getting called a troll when I did nothing but come on there in peace and talk about why Nashville people say "good riddance" to Hamhuis. Funny how speaking facts about the situation somehow leads me to being a troll.

Haha, no worries Mark. I agree about Hamhuis and O'Brien. I hope Hammer turns into a #1 dman for you guys. It couldn't happen to a better guy, but on the same token, I hope O'Brien turns into a great #4 for us who continues to play physical and clear out the crease.
For the record, the one or two on the board that called you a troll don't speak for the rest of us, and thankfully others have spoken up to that point as well.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
The Drunken Crunker

Quote:
For the record, the one or two on the board that called you a troll don't speak for the rest of us, and thankfully others have spoken up to that point as well.
Agreed!

I appreciated the couple of Preds fans that came into the Canucks side of the board to give us their thoughts and insights on Hamhuis as well as how O'Brien is progressing.

No trolling occurred there at all.

The Drunken Crunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:23 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

I sorta braced myself it terms of SOB's play. I'm pleased! Big body that clears the puck in front. Seems to be on the same page as the others and appears to have some decent hockey sense. I think he's fitting in nicely.

Also - Props to DeKlien. Looks great out there with a hell of a shot.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:32 PM
MattPreds37

Just met O'Brien at the sportsplex in Franklin, seemed like a nice enough kid.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Soth

Little further into the season now - What are the fans opinion of him at this point?

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Little further into the season now - What are the fans opinion of him at this point?
hasn't been horrible, but hasn't been great..

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
predfan24

He's a pretty good bottom pairing D-man. After watching Sulzer again last night I do feel more comfortable with SOB in there than Sulzer, who isn't a bad bottom pairing D-man in his own right.

The thing that drives me nuts about SOB is how long he hangs on to the puck and he gets himself into trouble sometimes doing that.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:15 PM
deanwormer

He is the best defender of our 4 3rd pair guys..... he does a decent job covering for Franson.... has played decently on the PK with KK..... wish he'd move the puck bit more quickly when we're down in our end and we're behind the net making a change - we're shaky against their forecheck with both he and Franson

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Over the last two games, I really don't think we've missed him that much. He's solid positionally and not painfully slow, but he counterweights his strengths (although the latter is a strength only when compared to Franson) with a tendency to get caught flat-footed against quicker forwards and take unnecessary penalties as a result. That's before taking his (very poor) play with the puck into consideration, which is a very important asset for any defender these days. He doesn't provide anything we can't find from a guy at half the price.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:13 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I think we miss his physical play A LOT more than you guys will admit to believing. To me, other than Weber, he is our main guy to clear out the crease on scrums around the net. We don't have anyone else that does it. So JUST for that, I think he has been a good fit for our team.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
To me, other than Weber, he is our main guy to clear out the crease on scrums around the net..
thats what got him suspended in the first place

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote