HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Metalliben

vCash: 500
We're going to check the option of staying in Manhattan instead. Theres some B & B available not too expensive, and since we are staying for 2-3 night, it doesn't bother me to share an appartment.
As for the car, we'll try to park in residential neighborhood near are staying place.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalliben View Post
We're going to check the option of staying in Manhattan instead. Theres some B & B available not too expensive, and since we are staying for 2-3 night, it doesn't bother me to share an appartment.
As for the car, we'll try to park in residential neighborhood near are staying place.

Thanks for the suggestions!
You're going to have a hell of a time finding parking. And if you do find street parking you'll have to move your car everyday for street cleaning and find another spot. Then you're talking about a garage which can be expensive.

10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You're going to have a hell of a time finding parking. And if you do find street parking you'll have to move your car everyday for street cleaning and find another spot. Then you're talking about a garage which can be expensive.
This /\

IMO you're better off taking Amtrak from Montreal to Penn and utilizing subways/buses/cabs while you're here. Parking will be expensive.

As for hotels, just search the websites like hotels.com for the best deal. I once found a great deal at the London NYC for a suite. It was less than $200 a night for a top-notch room. Look around and you may score a similar deal, with some luck.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Any bars to watch Habs' games?

Hey, so I'll be staying in Manhattan in a couple of weeks, and I was just wondering if there were any bars that would be easy to get to that would show Habs' games in the Manhattan area? Mainly for the game on the 30th (vs Florida, so... would be tough to find one, I imagine, haha).

thanks!

Old
10-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Hey, so I'll be staying in Manhattan in a couple of weeks, and I was just wondering if there were any bars that would be easy to get to that would show Habs' games in the Manhattan area? Mainly for the game on the 30th (vs Florida, so... would be tough to find one, I imagine, haha).

thanks!
Dempsey's down in the East Village is a "hockey bar" and last time I went they had 3 different NHL games on. Provided there isn't overwhelming demand for NY games that night I bet you could get them to put the Habs game on one of the TVs.

It's a nice place with good atmosphere and affordable drinks.

There are also hockey bars around MSG. Stout, F.A.T.S, Mustang Sally's, Mustang Harry's, and The Flying Puck. Between all of those choices, I'd imagine one of them will put on your game.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'll be staying right by MSG, so I'll check out one of those I think. Any recommendations as to which is best?

Old
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
I'll be staying right by MSG, so I'll check out one of those I think. Any recommendations as to which is best?
I really like Dempsey's but it's downtown.

Around the Garden, I always enjoy Stout and F.A.T.S.

Stout is probably the best IMO. It's got awesome atmosphere inside, very cozy. Great food, big beer selection. But if it is a Rangers game night be sure to get their early if you want a seat at the bar or a table, as it will get PACKED. And it is VERY close to MSG, like you can walk to it in less than 5 minutes.

http://www.stoutnyc.com/

Old
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
the fife flyer

Hey guys,

Awesome thread. Me and my wife will be coming over in January to see the Leafs game. Been a lifetimes ambition for me. I can go back to the days (only just) of Andy Bathgate and Vic Hadfield. We even had Mark Pavelich playing over here in Scotland for a few games around 1986. He had to return to the NHL iirc as he wasn`t a free agent and wasn`t legible to play in the UK. My home team are Fife Flyers. Hence the username Playing in a Mickey Mouse league nowadays and it breaks my heart that we won`t go into the 'Elite' league.

I`ve just spent literally, the last week trawling the `net, looking for things to do in NYC and here`s all the info I need in one thread. I only joined the forum today.

I`m not looking for "where to go" advice as it`s all in this thread. My hotel is booked and we`re staying for 7 nights. We`re really looking forward to visiting.

My sister has been to NY though and she tells me I MUST visit Carnegies Deli. Is it as good as she says?

Old
10-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fife flyer View Post
Hey guys,

Awesome thread. Me and my wife will be coming over in January to see the Leafs game. Been a lifetimes ambition for me. I can go back to the days (only just) of Andy Bathgate and Vic Hadfield. We even had Mark Pavelich playing over here in Scotland for a few games around 1986. He had to return to the NHL iirc as he wasn`t a free agent and wasn`t legible to play in the UK. My home team are Fife Flyers. Hence the username Playing in a Mickey Mouse league nowadays and it breaks my heart that we won`t go into the 'Elite' league.

I`ve just spent literally, the last week trawling the `net, looking for things to do in NYC and here`s all the info I need in one thread. I only joined the forum today.

I`m not looking for "where to go" advice as it`s all in this thread. My hotel is booked and we`re staying for 7 nights. We`re really looking forward to visiting.

My sister has been to NY though and she tells me I MUST visit Carnegies Deli. Is it as good as she says?
Even though I live here, I've never been to Carnegie Deli.

But I have been to Katz's and I must say the sandwiches were great. Worth the trip down to the Lower East Side.

Enjoy the trip/game!

Old
10-14-2010, 04:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fife flyer View Post

It is pretty darn good. If you like corned beef or pastrami you really can't go wrong.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Go to Katz's instead.

Old
10-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Go to the Carnegie. 7th between 54th & 55th.

If you want the best pizza go to Ray's on 6th Ave & 11th St or Johns on 44th & 8th.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:

thanks!
The Flying Puck near MSG has the NHL package.

Old
10-15-2010, 07:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

thanks!
Just as a head's up, the 30th is the scheduled date for Game 3 of the World Series.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
showjaxx

vCash: 647
Anyone know of a store/gift shop in NYC that sell's flags of international countries? I know that the United Nations sells every country's flag, but the sizes they carry (4"x6" and 5'8') aren't very suitable for what I need.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR censored View Post
Anyone know of a store/gift shop in NYC that sell's flags of international countries? I know that the United Nations sells every country's flag, but the sizes they carry (4"x6" and 5'8') aren't very suitable for what I need.
I believe there's a flag story at Pier 17 at South Street Seaport

Old
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
showjaxx

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I believe there's a flag story at Pier 17 at South Street Seaport

Thanks for the fast response SBOB!

I'll look into it and head over there this weekend.

If anyone else has any stores that they know of, just shoot me a PM.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:16 AM
jarikek

Good Indian and Mexican restaurants in Manhattan.

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a Rangers fan from Finland. I am coming to New york 22nd Oktober. This is my second trip to New York. I got ticket for two rangers games (Devils and Carolina).

I was wondering that do you have any recommendations on Indian and Mexican restaurants in Manhattan. Our hotel is in Midtown Manhattan. Or do you have any other good restaurant recommendations.

Best Regards

Jari from Finland

Last edited by jarikek: 10-16-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarikek View Post
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a Rangers fan from Finland. I am coming to New york 22nd Oktober. This is my second trip to New York. I got ticket for two rangers games (Devils and Carolina).

I was wondering that do you have any recommendations on Indian and Mexican restaurants in Manhattan. Our hotel is in Midtown Manhattan. Or do you have any other good restaurant recommendations.

Best Regards

Jari from Finland
Since you are in Midtown, Dos Caminos on 50th and 3rd (I believe) is good for Mexican.

For Indian, just go to the Murray Hill neighborhood (often referred to as Curry Hill due to its high concentration of Indian restaurants) and pick one that looks good to you. Every one I've tried has been good.

There are newer, more modern decor ones and traditional ones.

For other restaurants, my GF and I like Blue Smoke for BBQ (it's on 27th btw. Park and Lex). And then there's just a ton of good little places you'll walk by, for French and American bistros, bar food, etc.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:48 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Since you are in Midtown, Dos Caminos on 50th and 3rd (I believe) is good for Mexican.

For Indian, just go to the Murray Hill neighborhood (often referred to as Curry Hill due to its high concentration of Indian restaurants) and pick one that looks good to you. Every one I've tried has been good.

There are newer, more modern decor ones and traditional ones.

For other restaurants, my GF and I like Blue Smoke for BBQ (it's on 27th btw. Park and Lex). And then there's just a ton of good little places you'll walk by, for French and American bistros, bar food, etc.
best Indian place Ive eaten in NYC is called Tamarind .... not far from midtown.
Mexican..I love Mama Mexico on 59th st.

Not sure what kind of food youre into or how much you want to spend...My wife is a chef....worked in the city for years and can give you a more detailed list if you want....you can e mail me at
mario@mariomorgado.com if you want more info.

enjoy the city!

Old
10-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Fletch

some good Indian placaes on East 6th street, between 2nd and 1st. Think Agnon is a good place there.

On Mexican, I was always partial to Baby Bo's, a small hole in the wall, on 2nd Avenue between 34th and 35th.

I also like Blue Smoke for BBQ in NYC - needed to qualift that by saying "in NYC". BBQ at my house is a bit better, but I'm partial to Jake's in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Not what it was before the neighborhood got hot, but it's still pretty darn good.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat before the game tomorrow? Bringing the gf to her first Ranger game ever and I wanna take her somewhere decent to eat before the game. I guess anywhere withing a few block radius of the Garden is fine.

Nothing that we would need to dress up for, but I dont want some little dump either haha.

Thanks.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to eat before the game tomorrow? Bringing the gf to her first Ranger game ever and I wanna take her somewhere decent to eat before the game. I guess anywhere withing a few block radius of the Garden is fine.

Nothing that we would need to dress up for, but I dont want some little dump either haha.

Thanks.
Cafe 31 is excellent and decently priced. On 31st between 7th and 8th, right across the street from MSG.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Place looks good so we will go there. Thanks!

Old
10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Question About Seating

Hi guys, I am planning to go to my first game at MSG was thinking about purchasing the Club Silver seats in either section 67 or 68, they seem pretty good but their price is lower than the other seats is there a reason for that ? Has anybody sat there before ? Thanks..

Closed Thread