HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #7: vs Nashville, 10/23 (7:00 PM, TXA21, 1310 AM)

Old
10-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Can they scratch Niskanen next game? Isn't he supposed to be their defenseman with the most offensive potential? Urgh.

Ribeiro's and Benn's lines were good. Richards line just didn't really click, it seemed. Lehtonen let in an iffy one early but played great the rest of the way, and you can't blame a goalie when you don't put the puck in the net.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I hate to lose, but I hate leaving a fantasy shutout on the table even more. ****

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Can they scratch Niskanen next game? Isn't he supposed to be their defenseman with the most offensive potential? Urgh.

Ribeiro's and Benn's lines were good. Richards line just didn't really click, it seemed. Lehtonen let in an iffy one early but played great the rest of the way, and you can't blame a goalie when you don't put the puck in the net.
Why would they scratch the guy who shoots the puck? Woywitka didn't play, Robidas was meh, Skrastins is Skrastins and Grossman is Grossman.

As far as I'm concerned Daley is like Brunnstrom in his offensive play style. Which means puke.

The entire system doesn't work against a team like Nashville, or one with massive net presence and strength along the boards. Our passing was garbage and we never got speed at all.

There was also ZERO physicality and we let Nashville push us around. It would have been infinitely better if we had just ran someone and threw some decent game changing hits.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Why would they scratch the guy who shoots the puck?
What difference does it make when the puck never gets on frame? How many times did Niskanen take a shot tonight? 6, 7, 8? He got 1 through.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Caseman

To be fair, none of the defensemen can shoot straight. Bunch of steers on the blue line

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
What difference does it make when the puck never gets on frame? How many times did Niskanen take a shot tonight? 6, 7, 8? He got 1 through.
More than Daley shot. More than Woywitka did. As many as Robidas did. I'm not even going to mention Skrastins because that's not his job, at all, has never been.

Yes let's get on Niskanen's case for taking a penalty in the defensive zone against Olympic Diving Gold Medalist Tootoo. Yes let's get on Niskanen's case for getting owned by the "stealthy" Steve Sullivan.

The whole backend save Grossman played like absolute **** on a hot street in Brownsville.

We keep trying to lug the puck in across the blue line with our forwards standing around there with their thumbs up their behind. That does not work, at all, ever. It's almost like playing the reverse trap, except we're only trapping ourselves with a minimal amount of ice.

I also noticed that they were definitely in each other's personal space way too much during the game. An absolute lack of spacing discipline. If this were Boot Camp, R Lee Ermey would be chewing them out for getting 'naded.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Alistar

I do think that Dallas will end up ahead of Nashville this year. I have not been impressed by the Predators at all. Last season the grinded out victories in one goal games playing ugly hockey. This season they get totally outplayed and their goaltenders steal wins for them. It's isn't going to last.

I count this as two solid games for Dallas in a row. I still think this will be a good home stand for the Stars.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I do think that Dallas will end up ahead of Nashville this year. I have not been impressed by the Predators at all. Last season the grinded out victories in one goal games playing ugly hockey. This season they get totally outplayed and their goaltenders steal wins for them. It's isn't going to last.

I count this as two solid games for Dallas in a row. I still think this will be a good home stand for the Stars.
The forward corps had a pretty decent game, and Kari was good, but it's not like Nashville challenged him.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:54 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Yes let's get on Niskanen's case for getting owned by the "stealthy" Steve Sullivan.
Yes, let's. Why wouldn't we? That was embarrassing.
Quote:
The forward corps had a pretty decent game, and Kari was good, but it's not like Nashville challenged him.
It's not like he had to stop a breakaway or anything.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Let the 1 win 1 lose pattern begin.

It's good our PK didn't let anything in, but since Nashville's offense is so mediocre I'm really not that impressed.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Yes, let's. Why wouldn't we? That was embarrassing.
Things like that ARE going to happen when you're still a young guy, going up a veteran with some pretty good moves, piqued. And in this system where our pinches and passes aren't top notch... well they're going to get put in those spots. Yes, he could have done better to stop Sullivan. But hey, he's no ice dancer than can turn around in 3 inches with a guy breathing down your pants. I'd love to see you do it. Hell, I'd love to see my tubby ass do it. Without drawing a penalty.

Quote:
It's not like he had to stop a breakaway or anything.
Oooh. Let me clarify, he wasn't challenged to make wild crazy saves as much as he had been against Tampa or the Islanders. He had 3 or 4 "oh god" saves. As opposed to against Tampa or New York where he had to make a dozen "oh god" saves.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Sometimes I wonder what the expectations for Niskanen truly are. He only screwed up a couple of times. There were a few instances where the offensive play didn't die as soon as beardy breathed on it. He's playing like a bottom pairing NHL defenseman, which is what he is.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Things like that ARE going to happen when you're still a young guy, going up a veteran with some pretty good moves, piqued. And in this system where our pinches and passes aren't top notch... well they're going to get put in those spots. Yes, he could have done better to stop Sullivan. But hey, he's no ice dancer than can turn around in 3 inches with a guy breathing down your pants. I'd love to see you do it. Hell, I'd love to see my tubby ass do it. Without drawing a penalty.

Oooh. Let me clarify, he wasn't challenged to make wild crazy saves as much as he had been against Tampa or the Islanders. He had 3 or 4 "oh god" saves. As opposed to against Tampa or New York where he had to make a dozen "oh god" saves.
At this point theres not much Niskanen can do to win the favor of alot of fans around here. Niskanen has been much better defensively than last year and his physicality has increased by a ton.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Sometimes I wonder what the expectations for Niskanen truly are. He only screwed up a couple of times. There were a few instances where the offensive play didn't die as soon as beardy breathed on it. He's playing like a bottom pairing NHL defenseman, which is what he is.
I'm pretty sure if you look at the fact that Nashville blocked a ton of shots, applied crazy pressure, on the points, on the boards, and even when Dallas had the puck in the defensive end...

Our breakout still sucks and the system was garbage tonight for the most part. Dallas had zero luck with the chances they had, and Rinne played like Chuck Norris incarnate.

And txomisc, you're right. As opposed to Trevor Daley... who... still sucks.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Daley creates a lot more offensive pressure than Niskanen does because Daley brings the puck down deep into the offensive zone instead of uselessly shooting into someone's shinpads or just turning it over. And they obviously trust his defense more because Daley actually plays on the PK while Niskanen does not.

Reasons Niskanen should be scratched:

*His increased physical play has not translated into better defense, which still sucks overall, and it sucks because he continues to make stupid, panicky decisions.
*His shots, more often than not, are rushed and do not contribute to any sort of offensive pressure. He panics, shoots right into someone's pads, and it leads to a turnover.
*He's the worst player at the point on the team when it comes to keeping the puck in, even under no discernable pressure.
*He is no longer "a young guy" in the sense where he can use that to excuse his mistakes. He's in his fourth season. He can still improve, but he's also still making rookie mistakes in his decision making, and that's inexcusable. At least Daley's mistakes are based on skill or lack thereof.
*His teammates don't trust him. Ribeiro will actively try not to pass to him if he's open on a point at times, preferring to force a pass because he doesn't think Niskanen can get a shot off.

He's a 5/6 defenseman, and a slightly below average one when it comes to what you want your 5/6 guy to do (make the simple play, don't put your team at a disadvantage because you screwed up trying to do to much). But if they want Woywikta in, for whatever reason, then Niskanen's the clear choice to be scratched instead of Fistric.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:55 PM
txomisc

Niskanen has been on the ice for one goal against this year.Hes playing 18 minutes a game. Its not the whole story, but it indicative of at least solid defense. To say he hasnt played better defensively than last year is absurd. Also if anyones doubting his physicality hes 2nd on the stars as far as defensemen in hits.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Niskanen's physical play has actually improved his presence in the corners.... which contributes to an improved defensive game that he's been sporting. (also see txomisc's comments)

Someone has to shoot. No team worth their salt is going to let a point shot get off on any regularity. For a guy who didn't do that at all last year, I'd consider it an improvement.

No, Richards is the worst at keeping the puck in on the point.

Yeah, a 4 year player has less experience at dealing with a guy burning down your shorts in a puck race than an 8 year D-man, who probably would still get burned there.

Pretty sure Ribeiro gave him a nice feed as he was coming into the offensive zone so he could blast one.

Overall, I can't believe the outright hatred for Niskanen anymore. The Richards line was soft and overly fancy, which led to turnovers galore. You saw how many passes got intercepted in the neutral zone. Their passing was abysmal, their breakout was worse, and the best D-man tonight was Grossman.

Players that really looked ugly tonight: Morrow, Neal, Benn, Richards.

Players that looked good tonight: Petersen, Grossman, Lehtonen, oddly Burish for the most part.

Everyone looked average, and almost snake bitten. Lots of poorly telegraphed, weak wristed passes.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:29 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This may be kinda random but I think Toby Petersen had a really underrated game today.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Caseman

^I had that thought briefly, but it got lost in my gassy outbursts of frustration

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
This may be kinda random but I think Toby Petersen had a really underrated game today.
No no, I think you're right. Petersen's been fantastic the past couple games.

Old
10-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Alistar

well Anaheim is up next. Dallas has been pretty good against the Ducks lately, but after a bad start Anaheim is back on track with several strong performances.

We need a win. It's the same situation as they went into the last game against Florida with, they can't afford to go into a tough game against Los Angeles with a losing streak. They have to maintain and build upon this good start.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
At this point theres not much Niskanen can do to win the favor of alot of fans around here. Niskanen has been much better defensively than last year and his physicality has increased by a ton.
He was atrocious last year in virtually all facets of the game. He brought nothing on the offensive end, which I can deal with from a young defenseman learning his craft. However, he was also atrocious at the rest of what it takes to be a professional defenseman in North America (yes, I think the 2009-10 version of Niskanen would have likely had troubles even at the AHL level). So, to say that he's been better than atrocious this year isn't exactly two thumbs up.

Quote:
Yes, Niskanen is a bottom pairing NHL defenseman.

The problem is that his skills, both offensively and defensively are that of a bottom pairing NHL defenseman. And the problem with that is he really isn't being treated like a bottom pairing NHL defenseman. He's being given prime PP time. He stays in the lineup when his game most closely resembles our 7th defenseman who apparently just had to get into some games because he's worked so hard in practice. Woywitka had no business playing either of these two games. He's the 7th defenseman and is inferior to every defenseman in the top 6, including Niskanen (barely). His grip on an NHL gig requires that he work his ass off in practice. And when somebody goes down to injury then he will be ready to play because he's worked his ass off in practice.

This 'getting the guy playing time because he's been working hard' is retarded. It just is. The bottom of your roster had better be full of some of the hardest working players you can get a hold of.

To bring this little rant full circle though, if Crawford really really had to get him some playing time the most logical substitute would be Niskanen. Their games are virtually identical, except I would rather see Woywitka on the PP over Niskanen and his 60 mph NCAA calibre shot from the point.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:45 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You should probably take the PP time thing with a grain of salt. It's not like he's getting it over anyone who's actually good at the powerplay.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:05 AM
txomisc

Quote:
You should probably take the PP time thing with a grain of salt. It's not like he's getting it over anyone who's actually good at the powerplay.
Its also not like anyone else is playing well on it either. Richards point work so far this season has been way less than stellar. The Stars PP really struggles when pressured.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:20 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Nashville pressured Richards heavily on the PP. Usually in this case it's wise to pass the baton over to someone else, like Ribeiro for example, to keep the other team's PK from over-pursuing Richards' side. Instead they kept funneling it through Richards and nothing got done. I'm actually impressed with what he was able to create, given the circumstance. The Stars had glorious chances on both powerplays.