HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies 2010 Postseason: Red October IV, R2C2: Return of the Jedi

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
I can't wait for the inevitable ESPN article reporting how many Phillies fans were arrested tonight. Just walking out of the stadium minding my own business 3 separate Giants "fans" got in my face. Never going to see the other side of the story.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
perhaps, but i think the Rays were outmatched and the Phillies were lucky not to face the BoSox that series. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl too, and you can never take that away from him. But in the end he only managed to beat Rex ****ing Grossman, if the Bears have a half competent QB, they win a SB... He faced a team last year with an equal at QB and ended up short yet again as well...
Sometimes it wears you out, sometimes it rejuvenates you. The Phillies went into the playoffs hot, and didn't get as many hits vs. the Reds, but I do think it's possible having a 5 days off got them out of rhythm. That's 5 days in a row they didn't have any AB's with any RISP's.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:19 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Has the window closed? Rollins and Utley looked like shells of their former selves.
I think Utley's thumb was a real problem for him, his swing looked much different when he tried to put the ball to left field. Rollins is what he is, but I'm willing to see if he can come back healthy and it's a contract year for him.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I'm betting that Utley and Rollins are not totally healed.
This is true, but what is the point you're trying to make?

That they're both due for a big, healthy comeback year at the age of 32?

This isn't hockey. Unfortunately, in the MLB, seasons like this are typically followed by more injuries and a decline in offensive production. It's they way of the meat market.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I have such a headache...

After the 2008 postseason, Shane Victorino was a 27-year-old that would've fetched you a player or prospect significantly over that of his own value.

Same with Jayson Werth at age 29.

These assets depreciating and rotting in their hand produced a stench that only a World Series win could mask. And we're left with Billy Beane's nightmare: a bunch of overpaid, declining, 30-something fan favorites.

Ugh... and we beat the Tampa Bay Rays 2008... does that even count?

Old
10-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post

After the 2008 postseason, Shane Victorino was a 27-year-old that would've fetched you a player or prospect significantly over that of his own value.

These assets depreciating and rotting in their hand produced a stench that only a World Series win could mask. And we're left with Billy Beane's nightmare: a bunch of overpaid, declining, 30-something fan favorites.

I know. It's our destiny as Philadelphia fans. That contract to Howard was a massive, MASSIVE mistake -- not that anyone outside of Ruben Amaro didn't know it. Howard needs to put weight back on this off-season and get back to being an actual home run threat.

Stil... there's no way you trade Victorino and Werth after a World Series win and then another appearance the following year. Come on. That's just not how it happens.

Also, 32 isn't THAT old for a baseball player. If anything, it's the sport where you can still be an elite player into your mid-30's. I say our window with this group of players is open for another 3 years. We just desperately need to start supplementing this core with younger guys. Hopefully Dom Brown starts that process next year.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:08 AM
smokes lets go

cant believe the giants brought in lincecum for than inning

Old
10-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey and Randy View Post
cant believe the giants brought in lincecum for than inning
Bochy nearly outsmarted himself. I just wish that Werth hadn't swing at two balls during his at bat and gotten himself out. It's crazy... I guess pitching on short rest like that -- even if only for an inning -- really does have a palpably negative effect on the pitcher.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

It's painful irony that, after all these years, I would've given anything to swap Jim Thome for Ryan Howard for this playoff run. That's pretty sad.

Last edited by Readyrock: 10-24-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old
10-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Lol @ Scarfo.

The Phils have set the bar too high for themselves. If they don't go to the World Series then they must be screwing something up.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:25 AM
TheCode

Jason Werth is a free agent and will look good in a Red Sox uniform next season pounding homers out of Fenway Park!!!!!

Old
10-24-2010, 06:31 AM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Lol @ Scarfo.

The Phils have set the bar too high for themselves. If they don't go to the World Series then they must be screwing something up.
Who do we think we are? The Yankees?

Old
10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Lol @ Scarfo.

Make no mistake, I'm happy for what they've accomplished in the last 4-5 years. It's been a ride.

But, I want them to stay competitive for a championship - and they have the resources to do so.

...but, I'm concerned that they won't. I believe there's a chance that Amaro will refrain from making any major changes and leave the core of the team entirely intact. And, if that happens, I believe we're all in for a rude awakening in the form of a ~.500 season.

Another year of the Rollins-Utley-Howard commission scares me to death. I'm glad it's a contract year for Jimmy... but Ryan is signed to the age of 36, Chase until 34.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:12 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Well that sucked.

Good season, ended in disappointment. Again.

Old
10-24-2010, 07:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Just saw Mike Sweeney's interview. Poor guy, he was holding back tears the entire time. After being stuck on the Royals the bulk of his career, it would have seen him pull a Ray Bourque and win a championship here.

Old
10-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I hope we bring Mike Sweeney back as a bench player next year.

Old
10-24-2010, 08:29 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I'll take him over Dobbs anyday.

Old
10-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
At least they didnt lose to Cliff Lee in a 7th game at home, I wouldnt be able to take that.

Old
10-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Make no mistake, I'm happy for what they've accomplished in the last 4-5 years. It's been a ride.

But, I want them to stay competitive for a championship - and they have the resources to do so.

...but, I'm concerned that they won't. I believe there's a chance that Amaro will refrain from making any major changes and leave the core of the team entirely intact. And, if that happens, I believe we're all in for a rude awakening in the form of a ~.500 season.

Another year of the Rollins-Utley-Howard commission scares me to death. I'm glad it's a contract year for Jimmy... but Ryan is signed to the age of 36, Chase until 34.
with this pitching staff they should be fine to make the playoffs, just when they get there they need to be able to get clutch hits.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Yes it counts and yea I agree we totally should have traded away the entire team after winning the world series because they were all 30. This is baseball, not football. Players don't always drop off a cliff after 30.

I get you're pissed off, but you sound like a moron. Assets rotting in their hand? Seriously? This team went to back to back to back League Championship Series. You need to get a grip on reality.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
perhaps, but i think the Rays were outmatched and the Phillies were lucky not to face the BoSox that series. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl too, and you can never take that away from him. But in the end he only managed to beat Rex ****ing Grossman, if the Bears have a half competent QB, they win a SB... He faced a team last year with an equal at QB and ended up short yet again as well...
I disagree, I remember Francona saying that if they had beat the Rays that Clay Bucholz who was pitching in the Arizona Fall League would had started game 1 of world series. They won a championship, something no other team has done in the lat 27 years.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

In the 9th, Brian Wilson pitched around Utley with a man on first in order to pitch to our clean-up man with a runner in scoring position.

What's wrong with that picture?

Old
10-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
In the 9th, Brian Wilson pitched around Utley with a man on first in order to pitch to our clean-up man with a runner in scoring position.

What's wrong with that picture?
He wasn't "pitching around" Utley, he was just a bit wild there while trying to be very careful on the outer half. Same went with Howard... just got Howard to swing at a couple of pitches, and got a 50/50 call to go his way for the strikeout.

I very much doubt he was thrilled that Howard was on the other side...

Old
10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
**** fielding and a couple of batters that were largely ghosts did in the Phils.

But, the real losers? The network execs that are going to preempt successful shows in order to show the ratings poison that is the Giants and Rangers.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Howard's called 3rd strike wasn't really border line. Doesn't help Howard cause that he's a pretty free swinger.

Oswalt wasn't getting that pitch for a strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
**** fielding and a couple of batters that were largely ghosts did in the Phils.

But, the real losers? The network execs that are going to preempt successful shows in order to show the ratings poison that is the Giants and Rangers.
Phillies and Rays was one of the worst if not the worst World Series ever for ratings.

Last edited by GKJ: 10-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Closed Thread