HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Put all DP criticisms in here, please!

Thanks!

10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

It won't fit.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
It won't fit.

Thanks OTH, needed a laugh today.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
hgo

DP sucks. LOL AMIRITE GUYZ?

Old
10-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

suxxxxxx!!1111!!

Old
10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
MeanMisterMustard

Hasn't matured much at all. Still overplays the puck. Giveaways, giveaways, giveaways. Getting caught behind the net. Can't recover quickly. Doesn't give us an edge in the goaltending matchup. Being schooled by a 41 year old. Did I miss anything?

Old
10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

For a last place team going nowhere....DP needs starts to get back into form and prove he can remain healthy.

Well, then let's forget that we're second in the East from hereon in with a chance this year.....or else we'd better start Rollie more often?

I feel great Rick is getting his third and final chance (I stretched the last part - I know this team) and I hope he improves and stops ****ing the bed. But we are either a team for the sake of one man or we're a team for the sake of all men. The bit**ing thread covered it....they play better with the steady and predictable Rollie in net for a reason: they know what to do. With Rick? They wait for the unexpected and react.

So Rick has to learn to be reliable and predictable. Until them, our backup has starter stats and our starter has AHL stats and we're discussing who we want to start based on either making it to April and beyond or based on getting everyone's fav in playing shape.

Sorry, winners do what it takes to win. We're not at that level as a fanbase or organizaion apparently and it makes me sick.

But I'm not gonna bash Rick. I will bash whomever is calling for him to start so much (especially given he's in bad shape knee wise and getting back into game form....what caution, what, me worry?).

Old
10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMisterMustard View Post
Hasn't matured much at all. Still overplays the puck. Giveaways, giveaways, giveaways. Getting caught behind the net. Can't recover quickly. Doesn't give us an edge in the goaltending matchup. Being schooled by a 41 year old. Did I miss anything?
I do see he has been hesitant, FAR MORE hesitant, this go 'round, but give an alchy a sip and it's over.

He led the NHL in giveaways before going out for the season two years ago. ALL PLAYERS in the NHL. I hope he doesn't revert and learned his lesson after the first goal, but like with any addict.....I'm not expecting anything but a crash and burn scenario, just hoping it won't occur.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
MeanMisterMustard

OTH, that's the real point. They're starting a player who doesn't give us the best chance to win. If they insist on starting him despite poor play, we're on the verge of sacrificing everything this team has worked for to please an egomaniac and egomaniac fanboys.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMisterMustard View Post
OTH, that's the real point. They're starting a player who doesn't give us the best chance to win. If they insist on starting him despite poor play, we're on the verge of sacrificing everything this team has worked for to please an egomaniac and egomaniac fanboys.
That's on our benevolent owner and staff, not Rick, for the record.

What Rick does on the ice is on him, but the naming of #1 son as starter is on...well.....I don't think it's Gorton, and I don't think Gorton wants to be the next Nolan by not starting him.....

Winners win. We have other concerns, apparently.

Rick only makes me want to puke when he's out there doing the gahbage he's famous for. I still have hope because it's rare this year he reverts.....but if he's begun to unwind.....I don't care if he cures breast cancer, he still needs to sit or retire as I want to win the Stanley Cup, not munch cupcakes and see our true number one sitting.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
hgo

Quote:
For a last place team going nowhere....DP needs starts to get back into form and prove he can remain healthy.

Well, then let's forget that we're second in the East from hereon in with a chance this year.....or else we'd better start Rollie more often?

I feel great Rick is getting his third and final chance (I stretched the last part - I know this team) and I hope he improves and stops ****ing the bed. But we are either a team for the sake of one man or we're a team for the sake of all men. The bit**ing thread covered it....they play better with the steady and predictable Rollie in net for a reason: they know what to do. With Rick? They wait for the unexpected and react.

So Rick has to learn to be reliable and predictable. Until them, our backup has starter stats and our starter has AHL stats and we're discussing who we want to start based on either making it to April and beyond or based on getting everyone's fav in playing shape.

Sorry, winners do what it takes to win. We're not at that level as a fanbase or organizaion apparently and it makes me sick.

But I'm not gonna bash Rick. I will bash whomever is calling for him to start so much (especially given he's in bad shape knee wise and getting back into game form....what caution, what, me worry?).
It's a valid point. It used to work in the past, when Rick had the athletic ability to cover for when he made mistakes. Now it clearly doesn't.

Of all of the goalies to suffer that many injuries, Rick was probably the worst since his game relies so heavily on athletic ability.

He has to learn to adapt or sink. He clearly isn't going to be the same goaltender.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
It's a valid point. It used to work in the past, when Rick had the athletic ability to cover for when he made mistakes. Now it clearly doesn't.

Of all of the goalies to suffer that many injuries, Rick was probably the worst since his game relies so heavily on athletic ability.

He has to learn to adapt or sink. He clearly isn't going to be the same goaltender.
That was my argument in 2003 on....he wore himself out like I said he would, his pre-season ending injuries got ignored, he overcompensated on all his injured parts and just doesn't have the tools to play like Hasek. The muscle building hurt him....A LOT.

It's just been an entire career of mistakes. I hope he learns and does what he has to: calm down and use what he has left to stop pucks. The puck playing has been HORRID - GONE! The going down too early when he has no ability to keep his 5-hole closed - GONE!

Now if he stays in position and using FAR LESS energy guards that crease in a PREDICTABLE, DISCIPLINED manner and gives his teammates the confidence Rollie manages to....this thread does not exist.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Isles Junkie

Dudes never been good at controlling his rebounds.

He is the reason they lost the game last night. I want him to retire already. I'm sick to death of him.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:31 PM
hgo

Quote:
That was my argument in 2003 on....he wore himself out like I said he would, his pre-season ending injuries got ignored, he overcompensated on all his injured parts and just doesn't have the tools to play like Hasek. The muscle building hurt him....A LOT.

It's just been an entire career of mistakes. I hope he learns and does what he has to: calm down and use what he has left to stop pucks. The puck playing has been HORRID - GONE! The going down too early when he has no ability to keep his 5-hole closed - GONE!

Now if he stays in position and using FAR LESS energy guards that crease in a PREDICTABLE, DISCIPLINED manner and gives his teammates the confidence Rollie manages to....this thread does not exist.
I'm not even really talking about the over-playing of pucks. DiPietro used his agility and physical ability to cut down open spaces quickly and stop a lot of pucks. He's lost that ability. That makes positioning more important. DiPietro never needed to be good at it. He does now.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
I'm not even really talking about the over-playing of pucks. DiPietro used his agility and physical ability to cut down open spaces quickly and stop a lot of pucks. He's lost that ability. That makes positioning more important. DiPietro never needed to be good at it. He does now.
I'll add....he really REALLY needs to find a set of pads to grow old with.....get broken in bigtime so the rebounds don't rocket out to opponents. I don't care what color they are or if scholars will appreciate the hieroglyphics....when the puck his them, it has to lose all it's energy and drop rather than rubber ball out to the opposition.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
BillD

Quote:

Perfect. Regardless of accumulated "rust", technical flaws (going down early, chest dropped, over commiting, not fighting thru screens, losing sight of the puck etc.) his problem is his ego, his desire to be spectacular and put on a show that will get fans to go "ooooo---Ahhhh) and chant his name. Even the language challenged Butchie said it...."less is more" when it comes to Rick's antics. You have never seen the efficient Marty Brodeur do way too much (or very, very rarely) in his handling of the puck.
Lord, leading the whole league in turn overs that includes all skaters? That is brutal and speaks to Rick's desire to be the show.
I am not a DP hater. I want him to be the goalie that we all hoped for when he was taken #1. If he can ever get over his physical limitations, he still needs to improve his goaltending techniques, and stifle his ego to steal the spotlight with spectacular.
We need boring, plain, stop the damn puck by being in good position.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Renbarg

I think he has looked poor his first two games (most goals aside actually). But since he has looked fine. Yesterday he had a real solid game. Dipietro is not the biggest guy and he doesn't play a pure butterfly so you know he is going to give up more long goals then most in traffic that end up looking "soft" when really they are not.

I have also not seen a huge problem with rebound control this season. Rebounds direction going off the pads are always going to be the determining factor and honestly I can't recall more than two occasions when he has given up a juicy rebound on a puck that hasn't been deflected in the slot (do you honestly expect a goalie to control a rebound when a puck gets deflected in the slot?).

Old
10-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Dice on Ice

So will we conveniently ignore him being the reason the Isles won the game in TB?

How 'bout giving the guy more than 4 games to fully return from what was essentially a two-year absence? He shook off the general rust after like 2 games, and something tells me he's smart enough to work out the rest of the kinks as he goes along.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Brianesq78

The difference between DP and Rollie is that Rollie can steal a game for you and DP can lose a game for you. Rollie should be in goal. The fans shouldnt have to suffer for the worst contract ever!

Old
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
RWWallpaper

I will never understand why so many fans and mods get so bent out of shape when people rip any player...don't they have a right to how they feel FFS?

I am not a DP hater at all and don't think he's looked all that bad but that's MY OPINION. Who am I to tell others how to feel? I simply ignore the posts I think are unfair and absurd and I think the Mod's should do the same...trying to control what's going on in the GDT when no one is being threatened in any way shape or form is ludicrous from where I stand...when it comes to mod's on message boards, less is more. No reason to try and ban DP hate speech from Islander fans because they have every right to feel as they do and voice those concerns ANYWHERE they so desire...just my two cents.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
The guy has played less than what 13 games in 3 years? We can't expect instant all-star goaltending status. As long as he is staying healthy, I have seen signs of hope that he can get his game back. Hopefully it happens. He was maturing plenty before getting hurt, he was an all-star goaltender and was one of the top tiers in the league. Now he's gotta also shake off rust and get back into it. He had a stellar game against Tampa, he was off last night and has showed rust in a few games. I just hope it all works out in the end, the guy always plays to win but he's really gotta step it up as the season progresses.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

It was expected, but he doesn't look like the Dipi of old.

He's playing sufficiently enough, but I felt he was weak for a while against FLA last night and I still get a bit scared when he plays the puck. The Weaver goal resulted i.e. directly from his attempt to clear the puck out of the zone.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post

How 'bout giving the guy more than 4 games to fully return from what was essentially a two-year absence? He shook off the general rust after like 2 games, and something tells me he's smart enough to work out the rest of the kinks as he goes along.
The fact remains, and I agree 100% with OTH, if this team is serious about winning then you play the goaltender that gives you that best chance. As of today, that goaltender is Roloson. Roloson should have started last night's game (whether we won or lost it) and he should be given majority starts until he takes himself out of it through his own play. Rick does need to play to "get back" (if he ever does that again anyway), but unfortunately this is the NHL and wins matter. I don't feel comfortable with him in net at this point and I'd like to win now and gather points while we're hot. The players also seem to emulate this on the ice in their style of play between the two netminders. Again, this all depends on whether the mentality surrounding this team is serious.

I am not a DP hater and I want him to return to old form, if it's possible. I think we'd have one of the most dangerous tandems in the league if this happened...plus, I am a fan of him. I think Izzo also hit the nail on the head when speaking about his agility back then compared to now.

As of today, the team looks decent. We can score and the defense, for the most part, is better...without our top-players. Play to win and play the people who give you that best chance. It's that simple. Until he fails, that man has been Roloson.

Last edited by Groin Of Bates: 10-24-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old
10-24-2010, 03:17 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
So will we conveniently ignore him being the reason the Isles won the game in TB?

I've been trying to be patient, however, it may just be that he needs more rest in between starts before he can fully return. Obviously Tampa was his best game so far, and that was with 5 days off beforehand. Roli has started off strong, why ignore his 3 quality starts so far? Either way you cut it we have a small sample size for both. However, last night could be an indication that DP is not yet ready to go only a day in between starts.

His first 2 starts, 4 GA each - 1 day off in between.
PIT start, 3 GA - 3 full days off in between.
TBL start, 2 GA - 5 full days off in between.
FLA start, back to 4 GA - 1 day off in between.

It might be best for the team to play Roli 2 games to DP's 1 for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
The guy has played less than what 13 games in 3 years? We can't expect instant all-star goaltending status. As long as he is staying healthy, I have seen signs of hope that he can get his game back. Hopefully it happens. He was maturing plenty before getting hurt, he was an all-star goaltender and was one of the top tiers in the league. Now he's gotta also shake off rust and get back into it. He had a stellar game against Tampa, he was off last night and has showed rust in a few games. I just hope it all works out in the end, the guy always plays to win but he's really gotta step it up as the season progresses.
You do know you have another former all-star goalie sitting on the bench? It may have been a while ago but he was signed to give DP time to get back to form. Given that he has all-star stats right now, even if it is only 3 games worth, it might be beneficial for the team and DP to take advantage of Roli's play right now.

You have 2 former all-stars here, why not play the one who is currently playing at that level? It might actually help DP return to that status in the long run.

Old
10-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Macch

Closed Thread