HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
The Official Ex-Habs Thread (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Habs10Habs gave the green light in the out of town thread.

This thread is strictly for discussion of the performances of Ex-habs players which include and are not limited to the following.

Latendresse
Koivu
Halak
Higgins
Ryder
Theodore
Begin
Boullion
Sergei Kostitsyn
Kovalev
Komisarek
Moore
Ribeiro
Mcdonaugh
D'agostini
Tanguay
Streit
Grabovski
etc

Last edited by Andy: 10-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old
10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Andy

A couple of things to start off the discussion.

Higgins seems to have continued his play from where he left off in 08-09. He hasn't been the same since, something clearly happened, let's hope he can still return to form.

Ryder has had a pretty good start, I've always liked him, I hope he can get back to 25-30 goal form.

Sergei hasn't played the last two games, not sure if he's been injured or benched, probably the latter and I wouldn't be surprised.

Latendresse is doing well for himself, good for him. He's still getting called out for his ethic, but atleast he's still producing.

Halak has been great, it just goes to show you how Montreal has been an excellent breeding ground for goalies.

Kovalev is Kovalev, never liked him, never will. No effort and looks to be a "it's never my fault" type of guy. Glad he's gone, it really changed the team's culture. I knew he'd bust in Ottawa, still looks like he can't over Gainey looking elsewhere.

Koivu looks exhausted, taht is all.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
sounds good to me.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Koivu looks exhausted, taht is all.
As you know....I'm obviously keeping track of some of our exes....but I didn't catch any Ducks game lately. Why would say that? Statswise or even playwise? 'Cause if he's exhausted now....

As far as other players that are not on your list, I still like to see what Frankie does in Nashville and I have to say I am impressed. He's not mistake free but he's really solid. Also don't worry.....I won't talk about Ribeiro.....Pretty much agree with everything else you said. You know that I appreciated the tidbit on Lats....

Old
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As you know....I'm obviously keeping track of some of our exes....but I didn't catch any Ducks game lately. Why would say that? Statswise or even playwise? 'Cause if he's exhausted now....

As far as other players that are not on your list, I still like to see what Frankie does in Nashville and I have to say I am impressed. He's not mistake free but he's really solid. Also don't worry.....I won't talk about Ribeiro.....Pretty much agree with everything else you said. You know that I appreciated the tidbit on Lats....
He seems to be able to play in one zone at a time. He already takes shorter shifts than normal. When he spends half of his shift in the defensive zone he already looks to tired to play in the offensive zone.

Man I love him, but he's too worn out. He still has that same fight in him, he loves to battle, but he needs to find a better way to conserve his energy, he'll go in for a one on one batter and come out looking dead. His speed has declined significantly, he still has the vision though.

I look at him and I just feel bad.

As for Latendresse, I always found that even though he lacked the speed he always had the offensive hockey IQ to get by. He's a good hockey player even though he's extremely lazy. I can see why coaches get mad because his offensive game is that good, but his work ethic is quite poor. Also he has a monster shot. I find he plays his best when he plays as a sniper rather than a powerforward. He and Andrei are in the same boat, though I'd say Andrei has less hockey IQ than Latendresse, but way more skill. Latendresse just knows where to be on the ice to put up points, even in his time with Montreal I felt that was his best asset, it just about finishing which takes time for young players. But his work ethic pissed me off, happy to see him do well, shows that our drafting hasn't been that bad, it has more to do with patience and development than anything else.

I also liked Frankie Boullion. Obviously, his size was one reason I wanted him replaced, but I always loved his game. The fans in Nashville like him to I hear, so good for him.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:17 PM
TankEller*

Some mod should suggest to those not being capable to stand Halak's stats on an OOT THREAD to get out of this thread. This is pure bullying honestly. Nobody can say anything good on Halak anymore without being attacked by half a dozen of poster. I mean... really?

It's not as if Halak's stats weren't THAT good... They're downright spectacular.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Some mod should suggest to those not being capable to stand Halak's stats on an OOT THREAD to get out of this thread. This is pure bullying honestly. Nobody can say anything good on Halak anymore without being attacked by half a dozen of poster. I mean... really?

It's not as if Halak's stats weren't THAT good... They're downright spectacular.
That's simply not true. There was a reasonable discussion last week about Halak's performance in Chicago, everyone participated and it was reasonable. The discussion in the other thread had less to do with Halak vs Price and more with the individual poster. And it wasn't a response to the statistics he provided, it was a response to the implicit "attack" or wtv you want to call it on Price. The poster was called out and it was then turned into a Price fan being annoying thing when it was about the individual poster and the post meant.

Halak has been discussed quite a lot without any attacks on anyone.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Halak's stats should be about halak and not about Price, and more than often, when people talk about Halak, it's to compare him to Price..anwz, maybe it's me.

On another topic, have you seen Tim Thomas this year??? He's back on track! That's something spectacular, a goalie coming back strong after a difficult season. He has 4 wins in 4 games started with a 0,75 GAA and a 0,978 save%. That's beast!

And is Kovalchuk playing tonight or is he again a healthy scratch?

Edit : My bad, i thought it was the non-related habs thread

Last edited by Vanek20: 10-24-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old
10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Corey

The departed Sergei K.

Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of the Kostitsyn brat. After 4 games he has no points and is minus 2.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Andy

Well he was injured during the pre-season, he came back, but he didn't play last game. I wonder if he was benched or just injured.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post

I would TE, but I'm getting tired of saying the same thing over and over again. Now instead of talking, I'm going to start kicking people out of threads, and banning them off the Habs board entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of the Kostitsyn brat. After 4 games he has no points and is minus 2.
In the couple of games that I've seen he's not getting very much ice time, and mostly playing on the third line for Nashville.

Old
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Didn't he injure his toe?

Old
10-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Didn't he injure his toe?
I think you're right CP. I believe he broke his toe, which is a tough injury to overcome.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-24-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: made a slight correction
Old
10-24-2010, 04:30 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I would TE, but I'm getting tired of saying the same thing over and over again. Now instead of talking, I'm going to start kicking people out of threads, and banning them off the Habs board entirely.

In the couple of games that I've seen he's not getting very much ice time, and mostly playing on the third line for Nashville.
Great initiative, but i think it would be good if both sides were controlled !

Old
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Frankenheimer

One thing that's certainly different for Halak this year (compared to the beginning of last year) is that his level of competition seems much higher. He'll face Detroit and Chicago six times each over the year, plus even the eastern conference teams up till now are tough (Philly, Pitt). It might turn out he has a worse year statistically, but a better year overall. So far, he seems to be continuing his play from last year.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Great initiative, but i think it would be good if both sides were controlled !
Have you ever known me not to be fair PD?

Old
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
One thing that's certainly different for Halak this year (compared to the beginning of last year) is that his level of competition seems much higher. He'll face Detroit and Chicago six times each over the year, plus even the eastern conference teams up till now are tough (Philly, Pitt). It might turn out he has a worse year statistically, but a better year overall. So far, he seems to be continuing his play from last year.
Yes, that's very true, but another thing that is different is that St.Louis is a much different and better team than the Canadiens. Halak compliments St.Louis defensive style really well. They play a structured game, they force shots and limit quality chances. Even when the chances do squeeze through, Halak is there to make the save as he is always in good position as one of his assets is his ability to read the game. St.Louis is a much different beast that the Canadiens.

While the division and the conference is much stronger, so are the Blues. Since the begining of the season, the Blues have been the better team on the ice in every game aside from their Nashville game. Much different from the Canadiens, where on most nights they would be the lesser of two teams.

I'm happy for Halak, he's going to have a good year in St.Louis, that's for sure. His play with that team will yield success, that's for sure.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I'm not sure about that. If you're going by reputation, the East tends to have the league's highest scorers year in year out. I mean sure he won't get to face the Leafs as much but if one thing the East is known for is it's more open and scoring is higher while the West is 'tougher' and the checking is tighter. (ie. 7 of the top 10 goal scorers last season was from the East)

Old
10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Andy

I just realized we can make a team of our former players

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Ryder Ribeiro Latendresse
Kostopoulos Moore Higgins
Begin Chipchura D'Agostini

Streit Komisarek
Boullion Rivet

Halak
Theodore

lol it's not even THAT bad.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev

Streit Komisarek
Boullion Rivet
Souray Dandenault

Halak
Theodore

Now we have a full roster

Old
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Franky Gee

Sergei Kostitsyn: first goal tonight.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
Le bon Serge is back!

He's playing btw on the 4th line with Jerred Smithson and Nick Spaling..do you know what type of players are Smithson and Spaling?

Also what's nice to see is that Bouillon is playing with Weber...very happy for Francis, he deserves all the best.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Fix'd

Tanguay - Ribeiro - Latendresse
Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev
D'Agostini - Grabovski - Higgins
Kostopoulos - Moore - Chipchura

Streit - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Bouillon - Leach

Quote:

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev

Streit Komisarek
Boullion Rivet

Halak
Theodore

Old
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
Good for Sergei, he has a great talent, I hope he can get his head into the game, he has all the tools to be successful.

Old
10-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Here's a question (not exactly about the Habs per se rather to get a gauge of fellow Habs fans' mindset):

Would you rather the former prospects/draftees do well after they leave the Habs making the amateur scouting staff look good but the player management staff look bad or would you rather hope they fail making the amateur scouting staff look bad but the player management staff look good?

Closed Thread