HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nashville

Old
10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
SabresFan44

vCash: 500
Nashville

This team is always a contender in a tough conference. What gives, is it the coaching, the scouting and great goaltending, they always have solid forwards, so I guess it is just a combination of all that.

I like seeing the Preds do well, I still miss JP Dumont, and Weber is just the man. I told him he had one hell of a shot seeing him at a Pub last summer but I don think I am the only guy in the world who has told him that.

Anyway, they will be in the playoffs again but I would like to see them go deep this time.

Still without a regulation loss but they got the hot Bolts tonight in Tampa.

Rinne vs Stamkos

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

If they didn't lose important pieces almost every off season they'd be stronger contenders.

They're great at player deveopment and have a great coach.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:42 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I wouldn't be suprised if 4/5 teams from the Central made the Playoffs.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Nashville is a pretty sick team. I was impressed by their play against Pittsburgh. I think they're one big offensive threat away from being a serious cup contender.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

They are basically Detroit without a budget.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Suter-Weber is as good a 1-2 dman pairing as any other tram.

They also seem to always have a goaltender lose their starting job, then the guy who replaces him gets usurped, and so on.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I think Lindbäck is in the net tonight.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Very excited to see what we can do against Stamkos and the Bolts, but something tells me we are going to be missing Suter tonight.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Exactly. They're just missing a higher budget to really contend. They lose too many important pieces because of a lack of finances.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if 4/5 teams from the Central made the Playoffs.
All 5 are in at the moment despite the fact they've already played each other quite a bit.

But Nashville benefits from playing very well in the division. I guess if there's anywhere you should be good, it's in the division. They probably average like 14-15 points every year off the Blue Jackets alone. Jackets haven't won in Nashville since April 3, 2006. So they've won 14 straight games against them at home. That means they basically put 9 points in their hat each year off them at home, and then usually win 1 in Columbus, sometimes 2, and then get an OT lose or something.

Last edited by Gulvorn: 10-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Robert Theodorson

It's too bad their owner imposes a self-cap and is all to comfortable with having a good regular season team that has never won a playoff series. If the team was in a Canadian city people would be calling for his head

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Exactly. They're just missing a higher budget to really contend. They lose too many important pieces because of a lack of finances.
Nashville losing a lot of their important pieces every year is being exaggerated. Once again we will not be missing our back up goalie, a mush head ego tripping thirty five year old and one half of our worst pairing from last year. I guarentee that we will be a better team because they are gone.

Also new management tells us that we will spend more money each year so we are definately going in the right direction.

Old
10-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
It's too bad their owner imposes a self-cap and is all to comfortable with having a good regular season team that has never won a playoff series. If the team was in a Canadian city people would be calling for his head
I think part of the reason we consistently win is BECAUSE of the self imposed cap. We dont have room for any overpaid nutcases, so we play a team game instead. We may not have won a playoff series yet, but we are always competitive becuase Poile and Trotz (our GM and coach) are both in the top five in the NHL at their respective job.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

As a Blues fan, I think very highly of Nashville. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the division. It's difficult to hate that team, because they're built and coached the right way. That's just a good, hard-working, fundamentally-sound club.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Barry Trotz is the most under-rated coach in the league. Makes the play-offs year after year, even with a tight budget.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
OpenWheel

We spent and had some high end players when we lost a couple playoff series. So spending or lack of isn't why we've lost them. We since had stuff such as the Leipold fire sale and the Radulov issue. We didn't even have a chance to pay Radulov big money because of the CBA rules for rookie contracts. Poile had already said he was going to sign him. But didn't get the chance. The new owners haven't ever ordered a gutting of the team like the previous owner did.

I haven't noticed that we lose players every year since then. We've only lost one important player under the new owners, Hamhuis. And the reason we didn't pay him 4.5 million/yr wasn't a self imposed cap as much as we didn't need him at that price. Blum, Josi, Ellis, Sulzer and other defense prospects will need to play. We already had Klein signed for a couple more seasons. And we expect to keep Weber and Suter for a very good top pairing.

Our main problem for lacking scoring is not money, (we're paying Erat and Legwand 4.5+ per year... Dumont, Sully, 4 mil, Lombardi was a free agent and signed for 3.5) but that Poile hadn't made offense the priority in past drafts, instead he focused on defense. The last couple drafts he went for more forwards and as a result we have some good talent on the way, just not yet here. Poile was right in the ballpark in contract numbers on the bid for Kessel, but Kessel preferred playing in Toronto. So Poile will make the bids when he thinks it's right.

Preds are injured on offense right now. When Lombardi, Goc, Dumont all return our offense looks ok. No big stars but good depth that will score by committee. And that's a fun a style to watch. And could win playoff series. We weren't far off last year and should be be stronger.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You mean with a budget? If so I definitely agree

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Yemack

Being a Wings fan, I watched alot of games of Preds but I was quite surprised last season with emergence of Rinne. They looked extremely well coached .. almost a red wings like. Towards the end of the last season, it was weird seeing two teams play very similar style.

I wasn't too surprised they are playing well though. They usually bring their A game against Wings.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Being a Wings fan, I watched alot of games of Preds but I was quite surprised last season with emergence of Rinne. They looked extremely well coached .. almost a red wings like. Towards the end of the last season, it was weird seeing two teams play very similar style.

I wasn't too surprised they are playing well though. They usually bring their A game against Wings.
With Hornqvist having a breakout season last year, and with Cehlin and Ekholm doing well for prospects, I can see us being a team like the Red Wings. And that's definately not a bad thing.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
who_me?

Nashville is the equivalent of Buffalo in the East.

Long term coach, money issues, players want to leave, etc.

They won't win anything anytime soon.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

It's impressive how they are able to chug along with their injuries and low key players. I'm def glad the Pens don't have to see them more often lol

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:01 PM
GTA Fan
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
You mean with a budget? If so I definitely agree
This.

GTA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
Nashville is the equivalent of Buffalo in the East.

Long term coach, money issues, players want to leave, etc.

They won't win anything anytime soon.
Um, what money issues and what players want to leave? Last time I checked, the Nashville Predators were #23 in the league with a 70 million dollar a year revenue. They are operating only about 1M in the red, so obviously their owner knows what they are doing by not overspending what they can afford, yet they are still making more than almost a fourth of the league.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Their offensive depth is really underrated but they have to have the most overrated defense in the NHL. Weber-Suter aren't really as good as people say they are. Weber is a good 45 point #1 D-man and Suter is a good 35 point #2 D-man. Nobody else on their D is even a top-4 defenseman.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Clutchy View Post
Their offensive depth is really underrated but they have to have the most overrated defense in the NHL. Weber-Suter aren't really as good as people say they are. Weber is a good 45 point #1 D-man and Suter is a good 35 point #2 D-man. Nobody else on their D is even a top-4 defenseman.
Coming from a Sharks fan this is hilarious...

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote