HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate ideas

Old
10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Skate ideas

So i have been playing roller hockey for 4 years now. Never got into ice, but for my birthday, which is 2 weeks from now, I want to invest in a pair of ice skates. I figured I would go with ones that are between 200-300 bucks because quality is usually better and it can last me a while. Im VERY big on comfort so which ones do you guys recommend. I was thinking either CCM's, Graf's, or Reebok's.

*I know that comfort is based on me trying on skates but I just wanted to get a general consensus.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
AIREAYE

which roller skates did you use? I think they fit similar crossing to ice

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:32 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
which roller skates did you use? I think they fit similar crossing to ice
I use Tours, most comfortable for me, personally. I have a very old pairs of CCM's that my friend gave to me for free and I believe they are an 8.5. Im a size 10.5 shoe so I think if I will be looking for a skate it will either be 8.5 or 9.

What do you think of the CCM U+07 skate '09 model? On hockeymonkey, they are having a sale for them and they have them in size 9.

Old
10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
vexXed

Well I think comfort is pretty much all about the right fit. See this link -

http://www0.epinions.com/content_3832651908

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Well I think comfort is pretty much all about the right fit. See this link -

http://www0.epinions.com/content_3832651908
Thanks for the link.

I was talking with a bunch of my hockey buddies and they are all saying to go either Bauer or Graf.

Old
10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's something I wrote about skates:

Quote:
Skates

Beginners - $150+
e.g. Bauer X30, CCM U+ 07, Reebok 6k, Easton S9
Intermediates - $300+
e.g. Bauer X40, Bauer One70, Reebok 7k, Easton S12

Whatever your budget is, try and put the most money into your skates, and spend the most time trying them on. Skates can come as cheap as $50 on up to over $600. The more you spend, the more durable, lightweight, stiffer, and higher quality the skate. At about the $150 range, skates will have some type of composite outsole (rather than rubber), good quality holders and steel (so they won't chip and rust), and adequate stiffness. Closer to the $300 range, you will get almost all the features of a top end skate for half the price without noticing the difference. I do not recommend cheap skates under $150 as they are flimsy, not meant for heavy usage, and will likely fall apart or break down too easily.

Every brand has a different fit, most brands have different models that have different fits, and most models have different widths. The first thing to keep in mind is skates are usually 1-2 sizes smaller than shoe size. A good shop will measure you and look at your foot and pick out a few for you to try on. The heel/ankle pocket is the key to the skate. A foot that is locked into place allows you to skate better, no question. If it wobbles around, you're going to get blisters and pain and you will always feel some degree of unsteadiness on the ice.

Here are three simple tests you can do to when trying on a skate:

1. Pencil test - put your foot in the skate, kick your heels back into the skate, and pull the tongues forward. Try laying a pencil across the top of the skate behind the tongue and trace up and down. Ideally, you want your foot to just touch the tongue around the 3rd/4th eyelets. If there's a big gap, the skates might be too deep, and if your foot sticks out, the skates might be too shallow.

2. Heel lift - lace up the skates nice and snug, then stand up. Put one foot forward and shift your weight front to back. If you feel your heel lifting up, the skate might be too long or wide in the heel. Slide your foot forward and see if you can fit a finger behind your heel...if so the skates are too long.

3. Forefoot - with the skates laced up snug, leave them on for several minutes and/or walk around the store (assuming they have carpet and will let you). If you feel too much pinching, cramping, or pain in the front of the feet, you may need to have them stretched or go to a wider boot.

These are very rough guidelines...nothing beats a good shop with knowledgeable sales staff and a wide selection. But if your skate locks your heel/ankle into place and you can skate without pain, you will set yourself up for a much easier path to improving your ability to skate.

Buying a used skate is a great way to save money...be sure to check it thoroughly to make sure the boot isn't falling apart, the stitching isn't falling out, the holder is still secured tight, and the steel has some life left.
-----

I will say I checked out the X30's in person and I was not impressed by the outsole. I could flex it with my thumbs. And if I can flex the outsole with maybe 20 pounds of pressure (if that), imagine what skating on it twice a week would do after a few months.

Those skates I listed for beginners are okay but if you're willing to put in the extra money, that next tier of skates is fantastic.

The new CCM series is very good, the new Bauers are very good, and I just shelled out $500 on a pair of Grafs so obviously I like what they're doing. All three are different...CCM has a wider and deeper fit with foam that should expand and conform to the foot; Bauer has a narrower fit that is supposed to be closer to a foot shape but a material that really adjusts to the foot when baking; Graf has a number of different fits and a more traditional construction. Fit is absolutely #1 so go to a really good shop and get fitted.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
ChiTownHawks

I have Bauer x30s and I am happy with them. They hurt at first but after about 1 month of skating twice a week they were broken in. I have had no durablity issues and I have had them for about 8 months or so.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Man, I like all these tips. Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Looking to set my sites on a pair of X30/40's or a pair of Grafs. I think that is what it has come down to. Ill go to my local skate store and try on as many pairs as I can.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Man, I like all these tips. Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Looking to set my sites on a pair of X30/40's or a pair of Grafs. I think that is what it has come down to. Ill go to my local skate store and try on as many pairs as I can.
Don't just try on Bauers and Grafs though, both make great skates, but depending on your feet you might fit better in Reeboks or Eastons (or CCMs, but the mid-price CCMs are in the U+ line, they come pretty unshaped and rely heavily on the baking to shape to your foot, so it might be hard to judge the CCM fit without buying them). Bauer, Reebok, Easton and CCM all make good mid price point skates, Graf make excellent skates as well but most tend to be in the $500+ range unless on sale (though they do have the odd cheaper model). Hope you manage to find a good, knowledgeable employee who's willing to spend the time with you trying on many skates!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:35 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
My feet don't fit into Grafs at all any model, any size. I have duck feet wide in the front and my heals are normal. (no I don't have webbed toes)

I went through trying on many models of skates and I started on 06 Vapor XXX 9.5 EE then had to have the front pushed to fit a bit better. I now have NOS 09 Vapor XXXX 9 EE they fit better that most skates I tried except for the TotalOne and I'm not spending that kind of money on skates to play pick up and church league.

Do yourself a favor and find skates that fit for the most money you can afford and you'll probaly have the skates for the next 10 years unless you start playing Junior.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd recommend trying on:

Graf 700-series (depends on your foot for the right fit)
Bauer Vapor X40 (more of a narrow fit)
Bauer One70 (narrow heels and wider front)
CCM U+ 09 (wider/deeper fit)
Reebok 8k (not sure on the fit)

They're all different fit but are high quality skates with great features.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote