HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Shane O'Brien

Old
10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Shane O'Brien

Preds fan here, coming in peace

I know that SOB wasn't the most popular guy in Vancouver at the time he left, but for those that might have liked him, I wanted to give a little update as to how he's been doing in Nashville.

So far...pretty great. He started the year paired with Cody Franson, and was given a strict "stay at home" role to pair with Franson's more free-wheeling offensive game. With the injury to Suter, he graduated up to the second pair with Klein, and at times even the first pair with Weber, and with more responsibility he has played better and better. He's not seeing any PP time, but a heavy amount of PK time. I think, in a way, what he brings on the ice is a better fit for the Preds than what Hamhuis brought, since there were so many similar style defensemen (Suter, Klein), but there was no one to just play a physical, crease clearing style...which is what we've had from SOB thus far.

I know that we were warned about bad penalties and "attitude" issues, but thus far...no problems on either front. I think he's only taken one minor penalty, and had one fight. Trotz has raved about his work ethic and attitude since arriving, despite being admittedly wary about how things went down in Vancouver. Like Kostitsyn coming over from Montreal, the change of scenery really seems to have revitalized him. Most of all, I imagine Jordin Tootoo is glad to finally have a drinking buddy

Anyway, just thought some of you might find that interesting. Good luck on the rest of the season, except when you're playing us

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

im one of the few that actually liked sob, glad to hear you guys love him... the media in vancouver got all over him for going out and drinking lol. oh well i cant say i blame him ive brought home some hotties from the roxy many times

synobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Thanks for the update! I was thinking about making my way over to the Preds board to see how he was doing.

Glad to hear OB's working out for you guys. He seemed like a good guy in his tenure here, but a few things just went south and I guess they kind of snowballed. He needed a fresh start. Hope he has a good season.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

You guys want Bieksa next?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Preds fan here, coming in peace

I know that SOB wasn't the most popular guy in Vancouver at the time he left, but for those that might have liked him, I wanted to give a little update as to how he's been doing in Nashville.

So far...pretty great. He started the year paired with Cody Franson, and was given a strict "stay at home" role to pair with Franson's more free-wheeling offensive game. With the injury to Suter, he graduated up to the second pair with Klein, and at times even the first pair with Weber, and with more responsibility he has played better and better. He's not seeing any PP time, but a heavy amount of PK time. I think, in a way, what he brings on the ice is a better fit for the Preds than what Hamhuis brought, since there were so many similar style defensemen (Suter, Klein), but there was no one to just play a physical, crease clearing style...which is what we've had from SOB thus far.

I know that we were warned about bad penalties and "attitude" issues, but thus far...no problems on either front. I think he's only taken one minor penalty, and had one fight. Trotz has raved about his work ethic and attitude since arriving, despite being admittedly wary about how things went down in Vancouver. Like Kostitsyn coming over from Montreal, the change of scenery really seems to have revitalized him. Most of all, I imagine Jordin Tootoo is glad to finally have a drinking buddy

Anyway, just thought some of you might find that interesting. Good luck on the rest of the season, except when you're playing us
Wanna trade Bieksa for Weber next?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Street Hawk

Change of scenery probably did SOB well. He fell into AV's doghouse, and once a player gets into that for a particular coach, sometimes, they just are never able to recover from that in the eyes of the coach.

Flip side, for us here, is that Bieksa for whatever reason always remains in AV's good books.

It's also an important year for SOB. He's UFA at the end of the season, so he needs to be a solid player.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Change of scenery probably did SOB well. He fell into AV's doghouse, and once a player gets into that for a particular coach, sometimes, they just are never able to recover from that in the eyes of the coach.

Flip side, for us here, is that Bieksa for whatever reason always remains in AV's good books.

It's also an important year for SOB. He's UFA at the end of the season, so he needs to be a solid player.
"Fell into AV's doghouse" is putting it way too kindly. He worked hard to get in and stay there.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Ricky View Post
"Fell into AV's doghouse" is putting it way too kindly. He worked hard to get in and stay there.
Wrong, he earned his spot in AVDawgHowse but really played fairly well for what he is over the latter half of last season. Wasn't going to put up huge numbers but didn't have the mental gaffs that he did when he first arrived in Vancouver. His on ice play was acceptable enough.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:03 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Not surprised SOB has been alright in Nashville. Typical scenario of a player needing a change of scenery.

Conversely Hamhuis is exceeding expectations in some ways here compared to how he was advertised by Nashville fans.

10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Bieksa for SOB?

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Not surprised SOB has been alright in Nashville. Typical scenario of a player needing a change of scenery.
Agreed, too bad most HF'ers don't seem to recognize that fact, this place is more like 'what have you done for me lately.'

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
xtr3m

Always liked SOB and hope he does well in navy and silver.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Also Trotz seems to get the best out of his players. I'm of the belief he is the best coach in the NHL right now. Every year Nashville is a team that people think has no chance to do well, and every year they get 40+ wins (since the lockout).

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Alexistheman

Would of much preferred to keep him over Bieksa. Though I do understand that he was problematic, the players loved him, and more importantly he loved the players. Type of guy who would do anything for a teammate. Also, if we would've kept him over Bieksa we may have a nice 4th line center in return for Bieksa... Just sayin...

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:17 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistheman View Post
Would of much preferred to keep him over Bieksa. Though I do understand that he was problematic, the players loved him, and more importantly he loved the players. Type of guy who would do anything for a teammate. Also, if we would've kept him over Bieksa we may have a nice 4th line center in return for Bieksa... Just sayin...
There really isn't room on the team for either once Salo comes back. Alberts outplayed SOB and Alberts is outplaying Bieksa.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Shareefruck

O'Brien's on-ice play has never reflected his "attitude" problems, IMO. It's a shame that for whatever reason, it didn't work out personality-wise-- as I'm not at all shocked that O'Brien is still an extremely solid NHLer.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:18 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
O'Brien needs clear instructions. Vignault isn't a great communicator in English. There were misunderstandings.

On ice there wasn't a problem until the play-offs, when he sort of got carried away. What this did is magnify what a bunch of old ladies the Canucks were being.

Vignault was asked why he couldn't control him and answered that he was cown to four defencemen and couldn't sit him. Gillis was asked why Vignault had only four defencemen in the playoffs and had no answer. Aquilini asked where is the millions of dollars in my pocket from the third round revenues and didn't get an answer. Everybody was all pissed off with nobody to blame it on.

Over the offseason Dr.Gillis treated as many symptoms as he could without acknowleging the illness. Cutting the O'Briens off seems like a mistake in hindsight.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
O'Brien needs clear instructions. Vignault isn't a great communicator in English. There were misunderstandings.
Huh?

Old
10-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
There really isn't room on the team for either once Salo comes back. Alberts outplayed SOB and Alberts is outplaying Bieksa.
No, but if we were to keep one of the two, I'd prefer O'Brien.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:33 AM
predfan24

Honest assessment from a Preds fan:

He has for sure exceeded all expectations. I think playing in a small market like Nashville, where the media leaves athletes alone unless they get into fights at bars or something cough titans cough, will be good for him. On the ice he seems to be a real solid Dman when he keeps things simple. Every once in awhile he will over think a situation or maybe look to hard for the perfect pass. But when he is playing simple he has been very good. I can't believe no team wanted to claim this guy for free on waivers. I guess most teams really were scared away by the attitude problems. Glad Poile took the chance.

Hope Hamhuis plays well for you guys.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:39 AM
serge2k

Not surprised.

The issue wasn't usually his play. I mean, he took too many penalties at times and made some bonehead plays but he was usually pretty good.

See if he whines when Suter comes back and he's back to being the number 5/6.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

It's amusing....

How the majority (hell 99%) of Preds fans said we overpaid, blah blah on Hamhuis, all their assessment proved to be quite off thus far.

and

same goes for O'Brien, however there was general agreement noone lost that trade and Hamhuis signing wasn't awful aside from the disagreement over contract $

but Hamhuis is worth 4.5, and O'Brien is not a cancer.

I would have liked to keep O'Brien but he and Alberts would be claimed on re-entry no doubt

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Awesomesauce

Not surprised, SOB was always a pretty talented guy. Far more then he was given credit for here. He has his immaturity issues but its good to hear that he seems to have rededicated himself.

Glad to here hes working out, I always kind of feel bad for small market teams that lose free agents to budgets/big lights. Glad to here hes working out.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:52 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

And I don't think SOB was unpopular by Canucks fans. He was unpopular with AV and became expendable once Alberts started playing well. That's about it.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
You guys want Bieksa next?
Offer still stands.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote