HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Brassard/Filatov/Voracek line thread

Old
10-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Renion

vCash: 500
At the moment, the main thing I don't like about all the Brassard talk is that he is getting scoring chances. They just aren't going in. So, the line might not have been effective, but Brassard has been robbed multiple times over the past few games. When he only passes, people want him to shoot more. When he shoots, people want him to pass more. Fact is, all we need him to do is score right now. If he wasn't getting any chances, I'd be more concerned.

The only centers doing anything worthwhile are Pahlsson and MacKenzie. (I honestly think Vermette has been worse than Brassard, especially after last night's game.) Don't see either being a good fit in the top six. Maybe MacKenzie when he's on fire, like he seems to be right now. But, I think that's all we're actually seeing from him. Malhotra is ideally a third-line player, but he looked like he belonged in the top six on occasion.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:21 PM
blahblah

When he was skating with Nash he got a couple of scoring chances. He was mostly getting shots with the kid line. To be fair, it's not like Vermette, Juice, Jake, and Filatov are getting much in the way of scoring chances either.

He's not really even getting the scoring chances in transition that I was used to seeing from him.

I would argue that we need to compete more and the points will come.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:33 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Great, Filatov demoted again. Looks like it wasn't Hitch after all...smh..

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Great, Filatov demoted again. Looks like it wasn't Hitch after all...smh..
Is the play of Filatov concerning you guys? I have such high hopes for him heading into this year and wondering what to make of this start, albeit a small sample size. Rotoworld is suggesting a change of scenery for him, but my question is, would you guys really want to deal him? Would a Chris Stewart be realistic or someone of that nature, but at the same time isn't Filatov's potential too much to deal?

Camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:11 AM
blahblah

I see no reason to trade him at this point unless it's part of getting a true top line center, which Brass last night made a case to be one, or, better yet, or a true 1/2 dman with good offensive abilities.

In other words, we're probably not moving him.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
Is the play of Filatov concerning you guys? I have such high hopes for him heading into this year and wondering what to make of this start, albeit a small sample size. Rotoworld is suggesting a change of scenery for him, but my question is, would you guys really want to deal him? Would a Chris Stewart be realistic or someone of that nature, but at the same time isn't Filatov's potential too much to deal?
Avs would never trade Stewart for Filatov, the Jackets don't get lucky like that.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Why trade? It would be stupidity.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:31 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 686
From Tom Reed Twitter - "Scott Arniel said he was happier with F Nikita Filatov's play despite not using him in the third period, it was a good first step for Filatov, who's been placed on the fourth line. Coach was happy with wingers compete level."

Huh? The kid doesnt draw a shift in the last 25 minutes of the game and the coach is happy with his compete level? Filatov is gonna need a shrink before long.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
From Tom Reed Twitter - "Scott Arniel said he was happier with F Nikita Filatov's play despite not using him in the third period, it was a good first step for Filatov, who's been placed on the fourth line. Coach was happy with wingers compete level."

Huh? The kid doesnt draw a shift in the last 25 minutes of the game and the coach is happy with his compete level? Filatov is gonna need a shrink before long.
Let's just say that I don't believe anything Howson has to say in regards to what the coaching staff is reporting to him. I ignore everything Howson has to say about the on-ice product.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:14 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's just say that I don't believe anything Howson has to say in regards to what the coaching staff is reporting to him. I ignore everything Howson has to say about the on-ice product.
Quote was from Arniel. He could have been more happy but his priority wasnt handling filatov , it was to win the game. They are trying to bring Filatov along. Nothing more. Filly will get it going. For the first 4 games it was just him, and brass and jake were invisible.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Filatov is a role player right now, a young (rookie for all intents and purposes) scoring winger. We were up by a goal and the Hawks were pressing. I hope Arniel made it clear to him why he wasn't played.

Although not playing him during the PP does puzzle me.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Quote was from Arniel. He could have been more happy but his priority wasnt handling filatov , it was to win the game. They are trying to bring Filatov along. Nothing more. Filly will get it going. For the first 4 games it was just him, and brass and jake were invisible.
My bad, not that it changes my view of Howson. I'm tired of talking about Filatov.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
My bad, not that it changes my view of Howson. I'm tired of talking about Filatov.
I'm not. Especially with Zherdev rolling into town.

It's up to Filatov to cement his own legacy.

10-24-2010, 03:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I'm not. Especially with Zherdev rolling into town.

I find Zherdev coming in town just a little less boring then talking about Filatov. We're forcing a story line there.

Old
10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

I couldn't agree more.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:00 PM
blahblah

And here I was thinking it was Hejda that needed to cement Filatov's legacy.

Old
10-24-2010, 05:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Arniel did not play Filatov in the third period against the Hawks, but said the Russian winger looked more competitive than he did Friday versus Calgary. Filatov will be back on the fourth line Monday against the Flyers.

"As Filly continues to do what he did he earns that trust back again," Arniel said. "I told him he’s got to go back there (the fourth line) and start again. He’s not starting in the stands, he’s not starting in the American Hockey League, he’s starting on the fourth line and trying to work his way back up. That was a good first step."
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2010/10...shtml#comments

Hmm, it is interesting. When Brass with Jake played bad Arniel put them to first line to Nash.

Old
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post

Hmm, it is interesting. When Brass with Jake played bad Arniel put them to first line to Nash.
I just said the same thing in another thread.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 686
Quote:
Agreed.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:26 PM
blahblah

So Arniel hates skilled Russian kids too. It's an epidemic in the CBJ coaching ranks.

Old
10-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
So Arniel hates skilled Russian kids too. It's an epidemic in the CBJ coaching ranks.
It's up to Filatov to put up or shut up. This season is a new season, and as I said earlier, it's up to Filatov to prove his legacy.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
blahblah

Umm... ok. This legacy thing is just.. weird.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:

Brass and Jake have paid their dues in the minors (juniors and ahl for Brass, juniors for Jake.) No doubt both guys have struggled so far this season ... but, not unduly - and not for long enough (in my estimation) to merit a send down.

Nik F., conversely, has spent very minimal time learning the N American game and he's certainly never skated for an extended period of time against the caliber of athlete he's currently facing. If he can't get it together and do what his coach is asking him to do ... then eventually Howson is going to have to grow a pair and send Filatov down - whether Filatov wants to go or not.

At some point having Filatov on the bench or scratched is going to become completely counterproductive to his development as well as a detriment to his team. Arniel has given Filatov lots of time on the powerplay and is trying to put Nik in a position to be successful - so far, Nik has been unable to capitalize on his opportunities.

Quote:
Umm... ok. This legacy thing is just.. weird.
I think it's some sort of inside joke. I don't really get it either.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:12 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Brass and Jake have paid their dues in the minors (juniors and ahl for Brass, juniors for Jake.) No doubt both guys have struggled so far this season ... but, not unduly - and not for long enough (in my estimation) to merit a send down.

Nik F., conversely, has spent very minimal time learning the N American game and he's certainly never skated for an extended period of time against the caliber of athlete he's currently facing. If he can't get it together and do what his coach is asking him to do ... then eventually Howson is going to have to grow a pair and send Filatov down - whether Filatov wants to go or not.

At some point having Filatov on the bench or scratched is going to become completely counterproductive to his development as well as a detriment to his team. Arniel has given Filatov lots of time on the powerplay and is trying to put Nik in a position to be successful - so far, Nik has been unable to capitalize on his opportunities.

I think it's some sort of inside joke. I don't really get it either.
You probably forgot that Nikita played one season in AHL too. Plus some games in NHL.

Old
10-25-2010, 06:15 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not think Arniel hates Russian skiller players, as blahblah said, probably ironically. Maybe Arniel wants so that Nikita played better. But I think it is not quite good system.