HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts:White's Future In Doubt

Old
10-25-2010, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Torts:White's Future In Doubt

Quote:
"I've got to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with Todd White," Tortorella said before the Rangers' 3-1 Garden victory over the Devils for which the veteran was scratched in favor of 26-year-old, fourth-line call-up Jeremy Williams, who got 3:43 of ice. "I don't have him in a spot where I'm certainly giving him a fair chance to show me what he has.

"I don't know what he is as a player. It really isn't fair to him. I don't think he has a ton of confidence in his play and I have a lot to do with that as far as the spots I've put him in and how I've spotted him in certain areas.

"I'm concerned about his speed and I've talked to him about that. But I don't think I've given him a fair shake."
Quote:
"We'll talk [this] week and try to figure out how to give him a better opportunity," said Tortorella. "If we can."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...hPYtKzhVNdNlML

Assuming the "We'll" talk this week is in reference to Slats.

As LB points out in the article and a point which has been made numerous times on these boards,it makes zero sense to carry White's almost $13,000 daily cap number if he is not going to play. That is with Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal out of the line-up. The Rangers made similar moves in the past with Pat Rissmiller,Aaron Voros and Dan Fritsche. Keeping players who don't or can't contribute but they suck up cap space. None of those players had $2.375 million cap numbers.

Torts made a cryptic remark when the Rangers assigned Tim Kennedy to the AHL instead of White.

Quote:
Tortorella said, regarding Tim Kennedy being assigned to Hartford (AHL), that Kennedy, at 24, needed to play, which he’ll be able to do at Hartford. However, Tortorella conceded there’s a good chance the Rangers could lose Kennedy on bargain re-entry waivers ($275,000 - check my math). The choice for demotion came down to Kennedy and Todd White (who will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game on Friday and volunteered to be used as an eighth defenseman during team drills today). “It’s really not my decision,” Tortorella said. “I gave him (GM Glen Sather) my thoughts and this was the way we decided to go.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ury_and_the_d/

10 days later,Torts says he has no spot for White after playing him a few games. At 35 years old,White's speed is not going to improve. White looked like a lamp post with the opposing players flying right past him. Torts has spotted White because he can't play in the NHL anymore.

Waivers on White haven't expired. They could assign him to the AHL today. White is a nice man. He can collect his $2.6 million salary playing in the AHL. A handful of players go out on their own terms. Usually it ends with the team dumping the player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Black Tank

I haven't seen anything from him that would warrant staying up. I don't want to be the Devils trying to squeeze life out of the 30+ forwards. Send him down.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:40 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Who cares? He's not really taking a spot from anyone, he's not a cap problem (right now). I'd rather he sit, but if it means Jeremy Williams or Dane Byers is playing, does it really make much of a difference?

Additionally, it sounds like Torts didn't want to keep Kennedy or White up. Both for different reasons.

The 4th line is 2/3's players Torts had/has no interest in at all in Boogard and White. Need management and staff to be on the same page...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...hPYtKzhVNdNlML

Assuming the "We'll" talk this week is in reference to Slats.

As LB points out in the article and a point which has been made numerous times on these boards,it makes zero sense to carry White's almost $13,000 daily cap number if he is not going to play. That is with Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal out of the line-up. The Rangers made similar moves in the past with Pat Rissmiller,Aaron Voros and Dan Fritsche. Keeping players who don't or can't contribute but they suck up cap space. None of those players had $2.375 million cap numbers.

Torts made a cryptic remark when the Rangers assigned Tim Kennedy to the AHL instead of White.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ury_and_the_d/

10 days later,Torts says he has no spot for White after playing him a few games. At 35 years old,White's speed is not going to improve. White looked like a lamp post with the opposing players flying right past him. Torts has spotted White because he can't play in the NHL anymore.

Waivers on White haven't expired. They could assign him to the AHL today. White is a nice man. He can collect his $2.6 million salary playing in the AHL. A handful of players go out on their own terms. Usually it ends with the team dumping the player.
The problem with injurys is that when they come, they often comes en massé...

...We are holding up just fine with the current burden we have, but imagine if we lost two more guys, and especially guys like Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky and Christensen, all of a sudden we would be in quite deep and a White -- with some experience of playing major minutes in the NHL -- would have been a godsent. Its unneccesary to throw away a season because you for 2-3 weeks where without 4-5 players or something like that.

I don't really blame Slats for keeping White around (even over Kennedy). The kids have done it tremendously so far -- but we are thin and White no doubt is decent.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Miller Time NYR

He doesn't have a spot on this team because he sucks, u wana give him a chance to play coughHARTFORD coughWOLFPACK he'll surely get a chance to play down there. Theres no point in keeping him up here over a hard nosed grinder type player like williams,weise,byers all of which I'd rather see on the fourth line over todd white and his foot long visor.

And volunteering to play defense that's hilarious

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:51 AM
jniklast

I don't care much whether it's White or Williams playing on that fourth line. In the end they will be both out of the lineup once Gabby, Drury and hopefully Prospal return. I am much more interested in Torts' reasons to play Eminger again and scratch Sauer.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

He should not be eating up cap space. He doesn't fit into the approach this team is taking. I still believe that this is a transition year, (and we are already witnessing this transition, as the leadership is being developed by the Dubi/AA/Cally line, as well as with Staal, Girardi and MDZ on D.) It would be nice to see a youngster develop along side Boyle and Prust in a bottom six role.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:03 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I don't care much whether it's White or Williams playing on that fourth line. In the end they will be both out of the lineup once Gabby, Drury and hopefully Prospal return. I am much more interested in Torts' reasons to play Eminger again and scratch Sauer.
Believe the oft-injured Sauer needs some rest in between. His track record of injuries is not good and his stamina might be questionable. So management uses a rotation of 3 righthanded Defenders as 3rd pair. Not the best choice imo --- but be sure there will be roster movement sooner than later on our D.
I can see Sather claiming Souray on re-entry if he goes that way
Or a deal made. I would love to pry Douglas Murray from the Sharks - but fear what we would have to give in return. So we do not make th best of trade partners.
Our often cited trade pieces (Gilroy, Eminger, White, Christensen, Washington 2nd) are probably not going to fetch much other than lateral assets at the best. And we want to keep the core intact...
Grachev, Washingtons 2nd & xx???
And btw - I cannot stand Eminger on the ice over Sauer - I just understand the (feeble) reasoning behind it...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It'd be best if the Rangers traded him to a team that needs a 3rd/4th line center. I mean, if the Rangers don't need him - which they obviously don't - then they should give him an opportunity somewhere else by trade. Like Torts said, it's not fair.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Who cares? He's not really taking a spot from anyone, he's not a cap problem (right now). I'd rather he sit, but if it means Jeremy Williams or Dane Byers is playing, does it really make much of a difference?

Additionally, it sounds like Torts didn't want to keep Kennedy or White up. Both for different reasons.

The 4th line is 2/3's players Torts had/has no interest in at all in Boogard and White. Need management and staff to be on the same page...
Where do you get your information? Do you just make this stuff up for the sake of a rumor? Torts til now has never said one word about Boogaard yet you contiune to make comments about Torts not wanting him on the team. where are the fact or articles about this?

Last edited by Dagoon44: 10-25-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Blueblood 2

My take is that Torts preferred Kennedy and did not want White, due to the youth and speed aspects.. Sather has other considerations to evaluate. White is obviously a goner based on Torts statements.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Vitto79

We all know they should of sent White down before Kennedy with the cap hit alone but whatever

Atleast he is going down sooner rather than later it seems.

Kennedy was passed over by tons of teams so it's not like he is awesome. Williams can fill in fine on the 4th line until Gaborik is back

Rather have Weise but he got hurt and no pt to bring up MZA if he's not in a scoring role. Byers would of made some sense in this case though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:00 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Where do you get your information? Do you just make this stuff up for the sake of a rumor? Torts til now has never said one word about Boogaard yet you contiune to make comments about Torts not wanting him on the team. where are the fact or articles about this?
Yea, I think just like any other coach in the league, he wants more from his team's enforcer in terms of play (checking, forechecking,..etc). He certainly doesn't want him to be a liability and I don't think he has been up to this point. IMO, definitely an upgrade to Voros and to a lesser extent, Colton Orr.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...gaard_man.html

As far as White goes, everyone knows he's gone when people start getting healthy.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:04 AM
pld459666

With the Rangers eating Reddens 6.5 cap hit (8 million in actual dollars) there was no way that they were going to bury an additional 2+ million in Hartford.

The fact is that this is still a business and you have to get something for your money.

Torts probably preferred Kennedy (hence the "it's really not my decision" comment)

Sather probably felt that White could still offer something and thus far, he seems to have missed the boat.

White's not a horrible player, but for this Rangers team, the make up and the tempo and style is not suited for the way that White plays the game.

It's not a fit and if it's not a fit....you know the rest.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
With the Rangers eating Reddens 6.5 cap hit (8 million in actual dollars) there was no way that they were going to bury an additional 2+ million in Hartford.

The fact is that this is still a business and you have to get something for your money.

Torts probably preferred Kennedy (hence the "it's really not my decision" comment)

Sather probably felt that White could still offer something and thus far, he seems to have missed the boat.

White's not a horrible player, but for this Rangers team, the make up and the tempo and style is not suited for the way that White plays the game.

It's not a fit and if it's not a fit....you know the rest.

LOL "You must acquit!" White may or may not be guilty but gone anyway!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Black Tank

Knowing that White is playing for his career right now with every minute he gets, he doesn't seem to be doing much. However, it could be that he's going 100% but there isn't much left.

If the problem is that he needs more skilled linemates, then unless there is an injury, I don't seen how he is going to move up.

In any event, he just isn't a fit for this type of team.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

If there was ever a chance for White to make this squad it was with the Captain out of the lineup with the broken finger and Gabby sidelined with the shoulder. But...He didn't stick. Seems like a classy guy though. Wish him well.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oh Pity....

Does this mean we aren't going to see him "flex his offense"???

How could this team survive without the "Great White Spark"?

:

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
When Boogaard plays less than 4 minutes a game and nothing, ever in the third period its a pretty solid indicator.

Torts played Shelley close to 10 minutes a game. Pretty big inequity there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:07 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't really blame Slats for keeping White around (even over Kennedy). The kids have done it tremendously so far -- but we are thin and White no doubt is decent.
A lot... a lot of doubt.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Ha someone had to something.

Old
10-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Oh noes!

Who cares though... White should've been sent down at the end of camp.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He hasn't been god for much;

he is small, getting old, hasn't stood out on the penalty kill, and while not receiving a ton of minutes has been essentially between mediocre and invisible for most of the games, including preseason.

I was open to the possibility of him taking Boyle or Christensen's spot, but they have both outplayed him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
When Boogaard plays less than 4 minutes a game and nothing, ever in the third period its a pretty solid indicator.

Torts played Shelley close to 10 minutes a game. Pretty big inequity there.
Boogs would have NEVER been signed to four years if Torts didnt want him on this team. I don't think you realize how much pull Torts has in putting together this team. The entire league knows that Boog is there for one reason and when he is needed hes called upon. I guarentee you Torts was all for this signing and is a player that he wants.

In addition, as long as we are winning keep things the same. Theres no need for todd white to be given any sort of role other than fourth line/bench duties on this team. They have looked good the past few games so keep things the same. I was so pissed when they took out Sauer last night and I'll be just as pissed if they move Todd White onto one of the top 3 lines.

Keep this guy around for injury purposes only.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

Did torts or anyone ever say that, mention it, or hint to it? NO if boogaard or white had no place on the team they wouldn't be playing. in whites case he has no place he's not being played simple as that. And as for williams byers white not making a difference, this is the nhl it does make a difference I'll take an unproven Williams, Byers, Weise over a proven (BAD) Todd White any day on the fourth line because it does matter.