HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts:White's Future In Doubt

Old
10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
I am sure they are trying to pull off a crap for crap deal for a Dman

something like White and Eminger for X vet Dman with a crappy deal with one year left. Left handed of course

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I am sure they are trying to pull off a crap for crap deal for a Dman

something like White and Eminger for X vet Dman with a crappy deal with one year left. Left handed of course
Why would another team make that deal?

10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
agreed......sather has fleeced other teams before but there was always some value going the other way.....

white and eminger are BARELY nhl worthy...not to mention white just cleared waivers

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I did say crap for crap right? Guess their is no pt though. Just send him down

but errrrr Williams was sent down so what does that mean? Is White back in? Are they calling up another body like Byers?

Old
10-25-2010, 10:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I did say crap for crap right? Guess their is no pt though. Just send him down

but errrrr Williams was sent down so what does that mean? Is White back in? Are they calling up another body like Byers?
So you want one crap player for two crap players? And take on close to 3.5M in salary? Shrewd.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
So you want one crap player for two crap players? And take on close to 3.5M in salary? Shrewd.
yea ur right, lol. Just seems like a move they would do

We all agree he should just be waived and its a matter of time when bodies get back

Old
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I don't care much whether it's White or Williams playing on that fourth line. In the end they will be both out of the lineup once Gabby, Drury and hopefully Prospal return. I am much more interested in Torts' reasons to play Eminger again and scratch Sauer.
I'm not attacking you, but this is the type of post that makes me cringe lately. Tortorella is getting attacked unfairly for the roster decisions of late.

First off, Sauer told the staff he was sore after the Bruin game. I don't know if he pulled himself out or if they decided it as too risky to go with him as an injury possibility in the 3rd game in 4 nights. Go down to 5 D, the 3rd could have gotten ugly with the tired team.

It seems to me that Torts doesn't want to play Eminger or White. This is Sather's personnel call. He ultimately demotes and promotes players. I won't dig up the quotes, but Tortorella basically said he knows what he has in Sauer. He wanted to see Eminger get a crack at his natural side before he concluded anything. Rodent theorized that Tortorella was building a case for Sather to demote Eminger by playing him. They call up Williams in case Prust can't go but Tortorella immediately uses the first extra forward to sit White. That seems like he is possibly playing Sather, or out manuevering him. Sather may be trying to manipulate Tortorella and his lineup calls by not bringing in a 13th forward until yesterday and not demoting Eminger.

Tortorella took some heat last week for the benching of Sauer, but I saw it as Tortorella getting a look at his 3 rotating D, each guy on each side or in Sauer's case sitting him because he is unable to play off wing. It was doomesday a week ago when Sauer got benched, but here we are rolling and the guys that we want to play are playing. The guys we want out are sitting. Eminger performed his duty yesterday: 7th defenseman coming in to spell a regular that needed a night off. White is gone, probably no later than the return of Drury and Gaborik.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:30 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Michael Sauer was a late scratch, feeling soreness following the Bruins' match. Steve Eminger stepped in and got 8:09 of ice while partner Matt Gilroy played 8:38. The pair got three shifts in the third.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz13OPovPiK

From the same article in the OP.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
When Boogaard plays less than 4 minutes a game and nothing, ever in the third period its a pretty solid indicator.

Torts played Shelley close to 10 minutes a game. Pretty big inequity there.
Shelly was a better skater, player, stick handler, checker, forechecker.
Boogaard is a better fighter.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
agreed......sather has fleeced other teams before but there was always some value going the other way.....

white and eminger are BARELY nhl worthy...not to mention white just cleared waivers
Yeah, I see no takers for White + Eminger in a deal for an aging lefthanded UFA defenseman. Who would that be btw? I see no such player in the NHL now.

You gotta figure Souray - at a speculative fictional re-entry waivers - is the sceanario Glen wants to see first. And the dynamic duo get aboard The Whaletrain. But Souray will likely not make it to The Rangers in such a scenario. Especially after Nov 1.

Dolan will take the ca$h outta the wallet to pay Eminger + White in Hartford if need be - be so sure as long as Grandaddy Glen says its good to go.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Who cares? He's not really taking a spot from anyone, he's not a cap problem (right now). I'd rather he sit, but if it means Jeremy Williams or Dane Byers is playing, does it really make much of a difference?

Additionally, it sounds like Torts didn't want to keep Kennedy or White up. Both for different reasons.

The 4th line is 2/3's players Torts had/has no interest in at all in Boogard and White. Need management and staff to be on the same page...
To me it seems pretty clear that Torts wanted to keep Kennedy.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

We got rid of Brashear and Rissmiller for White - if he can't crack a lineup that features an injured Drury, Gaborik, & Prospal then we should send him to the AHL.

I don't think Kennedy was the wisest move, but I also don't think he's not something we already have a few of already in Hartford.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you need backup players who can step in when we have injuries...weve already got 3 huge injuries to this team...its only a matter of time before we get healthy again and then you can dump White. Till then, I say hang on to him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 133
this is really annoying and aggitating that they won't bring up kennedy for white

kennedy drives to the net and is next to the goalie every offensive play like give the kid a shot he was decent on buffalo

todd white is just old and slow.

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby33 View Post
this is really annoying and aggitating that they won't bring up kennedy for white

kennedy drives to the net and is next to the goalie every offensive play like give the kid a shot he was decent on buffalo

todd white is just old and slow.
yeah, except if they recall kennedy you can almost guarantee someone will claim him at that cap hit.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
We got rid of Brashear and Rissmiller for White - if he can't crack a lineup that features an injured Drury, Gaborik, & Prospal then we should send him to the AHL.

I don't think Kennedy was the wisest move, but I also don't think he's not something we already have a few of already in Hartford.
agreed, but i feel that atlanta would have not taken a player like brastrap if they could've gotten anything better, white looks like a done player, with a 2+ million hit, it is not unmovable but nearly impossible without taking bigger crap contract in return.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23isforDeBlois View Post
agreed, but i feel that atlanta would have not taken a player like brastrap if they could've gotten anything better, white looks like a done player, with a 2+ million hit, it is not unmovable but nearly impossible without taking bigger crap contract in return.
we'll just waive him, but right now we have a lot of injuries...you cant afford to not have a backup player, and you cant afford to have a kid sitting on the bench instead of playing in the minors.

Let White rot for a while in the press box, or on the 4th line till our players start coming back.

Gabby comes back, White goes away...lines look something like this...

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Christensen Fedotenko
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Drury comes back, Christensen/Boogaard sits.

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Fedotenko
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Prospal comes back Boogaard or Fedotenko sits, lines look something like

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Prospal
Fedotenko/Boogaard Boyle Prust

Old
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we'll just waive him, but right now we have a lot of injuries...you cant afford to not have a backup player, and you cant afford to have a kid sitting on the bench instead of playing in the minors.

Let White rot for a while in the press box, or on the 4th line till our players start coming back.

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Fedotenko
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Prospal
when prospal comes back, i think they'll put cally back on the 3rd line (although i hope i'm wrong)

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
XLJ

It was a dumb decision by Sather to send Kennedy to Hartford instead of White. Torts liked Kennedy and he basically said White wasn't good during training camp.

Your kind of stuck with White until Gaborik comes back. Kennedy will get claimed and Weise could of been an option on the 4th line if he wasn't hurt.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
"I've got to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with Todd White," Tortorella said before the Rangers' 3-1 Garden victory over the Devils for which the veteran was scratched in favor of 26-year-old, fourth-line call-up Jeremy Williams, who got 3:43 of ice. "I don't have him in a spot where I'm certainly giving him a fair chance to show me what he has."

"I don't know what he is as a player. It really isn't fair to him. I don't think he has a ton of confidence in his play and I have a lot to do with that as far as the spots I've put him in and how I've spotted him in certain areas."

"I'm concerned about his speed and I've talked to him about that. But I don't think I've given him a fair shake."

"We'll talk [this] week and try to figure out how to give him a better opportunity," said Tortorella. "If we can."
I'm someone who questions Tortorella's man management, but I have to say, I respect his perspective on this White situation. His comments show respect for the player and a desire for honesty and fairness. Say what you want about White, but every player deserves that.

Quote:
Torts made a cryptic remark when the Rangers assigned Tim Kennedy to the AHL instead of White.

Tortorella said, regarding Tim Kennedy being assigned to Hartford (AHL), that Kennedy, at 24, needed to play, which he’ll be able to do at Hartford. However, Tortorella conceded there’s a good chance the Rangers could lose Kennedy on bargain re-entry waivers ($275,000 - check my math). The choice for demotion came down to Kennedy and Todd White (who will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game on Friday and volunteered to be used as an eighth defenseman during team drills today). “It’s really not my decision,” Tortorella said. “I gave him (GM Glen Sather) my thoughts and this was the way we decided to go.”
On the one hand, this seems to indicate that Tortorella wanted Kennedy here, and since I think that would have been the correct decision, he scores points with me. Having said that, I'm surprised that he is openly separating himself from the decision and passing responsibility on to Sather. He didn't have to do that, and it is generally bad form; you can disagree behind closed doors and still show a united front in public. It definitely makes me wonder about the dynamic of their relationship.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Fedotenko
Boogaard Boyle Prust

Frolov Stepan Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Drury Prospal
Feds will not sit long as hes healthy....there will be a trade....once everyone gets healthy bank it

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Feds will not sit long as hes healthy....there will be a trade....once everyone gets healthy bank it
I agree and Am I the only one who thinks when Captain can't score and every other yr Vinny return they should have to earn their ice time and out work someone for it ?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
I have a question: How many actually saw Kennedy play in Hartford?

I've seen all Pack games, except one game so far. Kennedy doesn't stick out whatsoever (actually no one does in HFD), but given all the Kennedy whining and hyping around here, maybe some should actually watch a couple of Pack games with him in the lineup... he doesn't warrant a call-up, let alone a NHL roster spot... the only thing I remotely remember is him taking selfish penalties (one game he went to the box 3 or 4 times)... REALITY CHECK!!!

15 forwards on the roster now, 3 injured. Eventually, Gaborik, Drury and Prospal are coming back. If you factor in 7 dmen and 2 goalies, that makes 24 roster players, 1 over the 23-man limit.

Once Gaborik (seems like he'll be the first of the IR) is back, one body has to be moved/waived/sent down. If it is anybody other than White, I would be surprised beyond belief. Maybe the Rangers just want to waive him again and see if anyone takes him and his $2.35 mil cap hit... that would be the best-case scenario. Then the NYR are down to 14 forwards.

It is already difficult enough to scratch any forward the way the team is playing at the moment once Gaborik and co. return (my prime candidate = Eric Christensen), and no way is Kennedy a better hockey player than Christensen.

Matter of time before White is off the roster.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
To me it seems pretty clear that Torts wanted to keep Kennedy.
Torts said Kennedy needs to play. Without White I still don't see where he fit in the lineup before the injuries.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Dane Byers clearing waivers is still good, he's really fallen deep on the depth chart if they'd rather have Jeremy Williams up.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote