HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
10-25-2010, 01:03 AM
The New Originals

vCash: 500
Nice to see him play up to potential for once, offensively at least. Let's wait a little longer before we act like he's having a god-like season. If anything, Roszival is known for his inconsistent play.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
and i still think that plus minus is a relatively useless stat.....

maliks plus minus was super high the years he was here because he played with jagr half the time....doesnt mean he was better than rosy or for that matter anyone
Yep, it's damn near useless. It's so dependent on linemates and team success. Shanahan's last season in DET +29... first season in NY +2. Hossa is -14 in ATL, goes to Pitt to end the season and is Even, and goes to DET next season where he's +27. I don't pay plus/minus almost any attention.

Stats aside, is there anyone here -- whether they've been rooting for the team a few years or a few decades -- that can't see with their eyes that Rozsival is playing with much more swagger and confidence this season than last?

The guy is playing some damn fine hockey, it would honestly be nice if he got some cheers at the Garden.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
TheDave1022

Rozy has looked much better this season. I really don't see why fans are booing him. He is not worth his 5 million salary, but he is still a pretty decent player. I just wish he wasn't so slow and would shoot more. It seems to both the other players as well

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...1_wrapping_up/

Ryan Callahan admitted to feeling some relief after finally getting his first goal of the season. At the same time, he also admitted hearing the Madison Square Garden fans boos Michal Rozsival relentlessly “gets under my skin.”

“Look at how many minutes he logs per night and what he does for us,” Callahan said. “It’s disappointing to hear the boos coming from the stands. It’s unfortunate he gets that. I don’t think it’s right. I don’t think he should.”

Last edited by TheDave1022: 10-25-2010 at 10:04 AM.
TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:18 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
Ryan Callahan admitted to feeling some relief after finally getting his first goal of the season. At the same time, he also admitted hearing the Madison Square Garden fans boos Michal Rozsival relentlessly “gets under my skin.”

“Look at how many minutes he logs per night and what he does for us,” Callahan said. “It’s disappointing to hear the boos coming from the stands. It’s unfortunate he gets that. I don’t think it’s right. I don’t think he should.”
Good post.. Rozy logs a ton of minutes and a player is bound to have a few mistakes a game playing a ton of minutes. It just has to happen unless the player is Bobby Orr or a Nick Lidstrom and etc..

It is a shame how much Rozy is not appreciated for what he does for this team. But, hey.. its New York and the fans are demanding..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Good post.. Rozy logs a ton of minutes and a player is bound to have a few mistakes a game playing a ton of minutes. It just has to happen unless the player is Bobby Orr or a Nick Lidstrom and etc..

It is a shame how much Rozy is not appreciated for what he does for this team. But, hey.. its New York and the fans are demanding..
Demanding? Do they expect him to notch hat tricks night in and night out? Thats not demanding, that's being absolutely idiotic.

Hell, even NHL.COM has an article about Rozsival and the garden boo birds. I'm glad the knuckleheads who probably don't even know what a puck is are being called out both internally and now on nhl.com as well.

I saw 2 season ticket holders at the game the other day, both booing and both telling Rozsival to shoot the puck from behind the other teams net. How the hell do you expect someone to shoot the puck from behind the damn net? Please, sell your season tickets to someone who knows how to root for their team.

It's not even about being an Rozsy apologist anymore. It's not. He's playing very close to star caliber hockey for us right now.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
"He gets run over sometimes," Tortorella said. "But he's played some unbelievable hockey for us here of late. And I go back to last year. I thought his last couple of months, he stepped up in his preparation, how hard he's been on the puck. Everything about his game. And he plays most of the minutes because he's in all situations for us.

"I look at him from when I first came here to where he is now, I think it's a different player. And it's because he has a different intensity about him in practice. I think it rolls over into the game. He's been a pretty damn important player for us.
Hell, he's worthy of an A on his sweather. He and Lundqvist are the only 2 left since the season after the lockout

Old
10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Why Rozsival will always be booed

The discussion here is more about the organization than Rozy. I thought this deserved its own thread, if not Mods- feel free to put it in the Rozy one.

• He was the 2nd star on NHL.com with a goal and an assist, and should've been the #1 or #2 star for the Rangers last night, but the Garden pulled him from that honor in fear of him being booed by the some of the crowd.

• In the player announcements on opening night every player skated out and had 3 or 4 seconds for a nice ovation, yet when his name was called they announced the next name almost immediately to forego any embarrassment from the crowd.

This is SO typical of the New York Rangers management and whoever makes these decisions should GROW A PAIR and let the guy earn his stripes. This is NY, deal with it. Every NY team deals with it. To me, this babying is embarrassing. It's exactly why Dolan or Sather never show their face during a game.

How will Rozy ever be accepted in the Garden if they never give him a chance to be? He's been one of the 3 stars well over a dozen times at home in the past 3 years but the Rangers refuse to have him skate out on his own.

What is that saying to the rest of the team and to the fans? Love him or hate him at least give him the opportunity to earn the respect of the Garden instead of always pacifying the situation.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Great post. However, it comes from the fans too. They don't even want to accept Rozsy for what he is doing rather they base his image on a few bad streaks he had in the past. Which every players goes through; especially one coming back from a hip surgery/knee surgery etc.

But, management should address the matter by not being overprotective. They have no reason too. The guy is playing splendid hockey. I love how Torts and Callahan did that yesterday(addressed the Roszy booing issue)

Old
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
ZacUSNYR

I think last season and the start of this season he has been fantastic.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
How will Rozy ever be accepted in the Garden if they never give him a chance to be? He's been one of the 3 stars well over a dozen times at home in the past 3 years but the Rangers refuse to have him skate out on his own.
Because no matter how well Rozy does, there will still be idiots booing him. I was at the home opener and the guy in the section across from me was booing Rozy like it was his job.

Rozy doesn't deserve to be booed, but the idiots have to have someone to boo, and all the other sheep just follow along. That's what is really embarrassing. These so-called fans booing players on their own team. And for what? Because he's slightly overpaid? He's still a good player and a valuable contributor to this team.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Blueshirt Special

There have ALWAYS been Rangers fans(?) who go to games, just to be a rowdy PIA. That's how they get their rocks off. They have no real interest in the team winning or doing well. And they have no interest in something positive happening. They just want to put someone down, and it's easy to do from up in the stands.

Makes them feel superior for a little while before they go back to their pathetic loser lives. And they justify it with some sorry excuse about what they pay for seats etc.

Blo me and stay the eff home because you just take the fun out of going to the game.

This is not to say that there aaren't times when booing might be appropriate. Just the morons who go to the to Boo.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because no matter how well Rozy does, there will still be idiots booing him. I was at the home opener and the guy in the section across from me was booing Rozy like it was his job.

Rozy doesn't deserve to be booed, but the idiots have to have someone to boo, and all the other sheep just follow along. That's what is really embarrassing. These so-called fans booing players on their own team. And for what? Because he's slightly overpaid? He's still a good player and a valuable contributor to this team.
Exactly...

The fact that he's still being booed shows the fact that the fans are not reasonable and there is no point in letting them try to accept Rozy again.

Rozy has been a very good player for the Rangers since he's been here and the fans let his gaffes sit in their mind.

And let's not be too quick to equate Rangers fans with other NY fans. You will never hear Yankees fans chanting something stupid like "Potvin Sucks" because they are above that. It's the same reason you hear boos when a few Yankees fans try to start a "Boston Sucks" chant. They are above it and realize that any other team doesn't deserve to have them be the topic of any chant.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Fans are idiots, yes. But you have to give them a reason not to be. Who knows, maybe it would have been a half and half ovation last night had he been the first star like he deserved. You gotta start somewhere.

There are several athletes in this town that were booed unmercifully, even owners that changed their image through success. George Steinbrenner used to get killed by the fans but he worked himself into a God. Arod was killed for years and then redeemed himself (for the most part). But they were allowed to be recognized in that fashion. I know its a little bit of an apples an oranges comparison, but its New York, you deal with it.

The Rangers preach team identity, sticking up for one another, resolve - all these great proud aspects. Yet their management are a bunch of hypocrites and don't adhere to the same values. Show some faith in him and some of the fans out there that arent idiots.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I don't understand booing anyone on your team at home. It doesn't make much sense to me... that being said I'm no Rozi lover but he's been very good of late. Agreed about him finally shooting more.

That being said, he still doesn't know when to pinch, always seems to have the puck "hop" off his stick at the worst time, and is too slow. But credit where it's due... the end to last season and the past few games this season he's been great. I would've given him a star last night. Can't believe they wouldn't due to fear of booing... that sux.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Fans are idiots, yes. But you have to give them a reason not to be. Who knows, maybe it would have been a half and half ovation last night had he been the first star like he deserved. You gotta start somewhere.

There are several athletes in this town that were booed unmercifully, even owners that changed their image through success. George Steinbrenner used to get killed by the fans but he worked himself into a God. Arod was killed for years and then redeemed himself (for the most part). But they were allowed to be recognized in that fashion. I know its a little bit of an apples an oranges comparison, but its New York, you deal with it.

The Rangers preach team identity, sticking up for one another, resolve - all these great proud aspects. Yet their management are a bunch of hypocrites and don't adhere to the same values. Show some faith in him and some of the fans out there that arent idiots.
his play has been more than enough of a reason

this is a bulls@#$t argument

the fans are acting like *******s....plain and simple, and thats all there really is to it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
The discussion here is more about the organization than Rozy. I thought this deserved its own thread, if not Mods- feel free to put it in the Rozy one.

He was the 2nd star on NHL.com with a goal and an assist, and should've been the #1 or #2 star for the Rangers last night, but the Garden pulled him from that honor in fear of him being booed by the some of the crowd.

In the player announcements on opening night every player skated out and had 3 or 4 seconds for a nice ovation, yet when his name was called they announced the next name almost immediately to forego any embarrassment from the crowd.

This is SO typical of the New York Rangers management and whoever makes these decisions should GROW A PAIR and let the guy earn his stripes. This is NY, deal with it. Every NY team deals with it. To me, this babying is embarrassing. It's exactly why Dolan or Sather never show their face during a game.

What is that saying to the rest of the team and to the fans? Love him or hate him at least give him the opportunity to earn the respect of the Garden instead of always pacifying the situation.
The Garden has nothing to do with the stars of the game. The attending media members submit their "ballots" for stars of the game towards the end of the third period. An oddity of the system: If the game is tied a lot of times the media will just write "1st star: player with GWG". Fans shouldnt really pay much attention to the stars of the game. Its just a gimmick.

As for the opening night intros, I noticed the same thing.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The Garden has nothing to do with the stars of the game. The attending media members submit their "ballots" for stars of the game towards the end of the third period. An oddity of the system: If the game is tied a lot of times the media will just write "1st star: player with GWG". Fans shouldnt really pay much attention to the stars of the game. Its just a gimmick.

As for the opening night intros, I noticed the same thing.
I guess the problem is that the game was 2-0 the whole way and he already had a goal and an assist. I get your overall point tho... stars of the game should be non-factors.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
CaptainCallahan*

My only gripe with Rozy is that when he makes a mistake, it happens to come at the worst possible time. For instance, he played a solid game last night defensively, and contributed on offensive with a goal and an assist, yet when the Devils are starting to mount a comeback, that is when Rozy coughs up the puck in the neutral zone and Josefson comes down the wing with not one, but two scoring chances. If thats a Parise or a Kovalchuk, thats a tie game. That to me is Rozsival in a nutshell: one play at a pivotal point in the game almost erases all the prior good he had done up to that point.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

This is EXACTLY it. Rozy's play has no connection to these fools reaction to him.

There is a large % of idiots that just need someone to boo. The others who boo are just the MSG sheep... Boo Rozy, Potvin Sucks!... blah blah blah

When Rozy is gone, there will be someone to replace him

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Fans should be getting on Eminger if anyone, so far. And he wasn't that horrible last game.

Del Zotto has done everything fans attack Rozsival for this year, and has 3 points in 7 games to Rozy's 6.

Double standards kick ass.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post
My only gripe with Rozy is that when he makes a mistake, it happens to come at the worst possible time. For instance, he played a solid game last night defensively, and contributed on offensive with a goal and an assist, yet when the Devils are starting to mount a comeback, that is when Rozy coughs up the puck in the neutral zone and Josefson comes down the wing with not one, but two scoring chances. If thats a Parise or a Kovalchuk, thats a tie game. That to me is Rozsival in a nutshell: one play at a pivotal point in the game almost erases all the prior good he had done up to that point.
The thing is though, almost every player makes a costly mistake during the course of the game, and they don't get as much heat for it as Rozy does. And if it wasn't for Rozy's "prior good," the goal and the assist, we would be losing 1-0 at that point.

I think DZ has committed turnovers and giveaways that are far more egregious than Rozy's, and the crowd won't get on him for it. It seems like most of the other defensemen are entitled to a free pass while Rozy is criticized for any minor error he may commit.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, and I agree that it is probably time to give the fans a chance to show some appreiation for Rozy.

But the comparisons you are making are a bit off. Arod? Steinbrenner?

As I said in a previous post, there have never the been HUGE expectations from Rozy that would justify the boos. If Ovechkin came to NY and scored only 30 goals, he would get booed big time, and I don't think anyone would object.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
nevesis

Rozsival is still soft as a pillow and can't skate to save his life. He is EASILY replaceable.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Rozsival is still soft as a pillow and can't skate to save his life. He is EASILY replaceable.
These are the fans im talking about. I have no clue where they get the soft from, nor do I get the skating issue. He's not blazing fast, but he's mobile and has average skating when he's moving his feet. As far as being soft. That's so far from the truh it's not even funny. Rozsival always takes hits to make plays, always protects his players, and also takes the body. His style of making a play along the boards and taking the hit is the reason he has battled injuries. He sometimes takes vicious hits in the back of our net.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If a defenseman doesn't hit or skate really fast, he is easily replaceable.

Right, the defenseman with the 14th highest minutes played/game in the league, who is used in all situations by us, is easily replaceable

its so assanine its hilarious.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote