HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
  #26
GilliesGirlie
Registered User
 
GilliesGirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: former Long Islander
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 6,095
vCash: 500
I want Rick to do well, I do. Just don't think he is the #1 goalie. I would rather see Roloson.

The "D" seems shaky when they are playing in front of Rick, whereas they seem very calm in front of Roloson.

Rick needs to remember LESS IS MORE!!!

__________________
R.I.P. Uncle John.... I love you!
R.I.P. Sal Forever Young 4//4/92-9/23/13
GilliesGirlie is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
  #27
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I will never understand why so many fans and mods get so bent out of shape when people rip any player...don't they have a right to how they feel FFS?

I am not a DP hater at all and don't think he's looked all that bad but that's MY OPINION. Who am I to tell others how to feel? I simply ignore the posts I think are unfair and absurd and I think the Mod's should do the same...trying to control what's going on in the GDT when no one is being threatened in any way shape or form is ludicrous from where I stand...when it comes to mod's on message boards, less is more. No reason to try and ban DP hate speech from Islander fans because they have every right to feel as they do and voice those concerns ANYWHERE they so desire...just my two cents.
It's different. There's opinion with educated support, and then there's opinion for the sake of opinion. The latter doesn't really add anything to the discussion, considering it doesn't take well to educated support.

hgo is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
  #28
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I will never understand why so many fans and mods get so bent out of shape when people rip any player...don't they have a right to how they feel FFS? .
Do people have the right to vent in a GDT thread...to an extent sure.

But this DP stuff has gone a bit overboard...and i thought myself he had played like **** yesterday.

It went waaayyy Off Topic.

This is a family friendly site and there are site rules that have to be followed.

and heres one of them.
Quote:
If you disagree with something the moderators did, fine, disagree and let us know, but do it politely through PM or email ONLY. Complaining on the forums is not permitted. If your thread or post was moved/closed/removed there was a good reason for it
The fact Sal set up this DP critcism thread ...should show that we the Mods are giving alot of leeway on this board on this topic.

btw...This isnt directed to anyone specific but..i hate to break this to some of you but this is a private message board,and if people dont like the way its run.... plenty of other sites that people can go to.

Now back to the main topic...

DP shouldnt be the #1...but with his contract what do you expect?
As any business thats invested heavily in someone,they need to see if he can ever be a #1 goalie again...or just move on.

Which i think will be decided within the next 2 seasons before the lockout.

__________________

Last edited by DaMick: 10-24-2010 at 06:08 PM.
DaMick is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 05:59 PM
  #29
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
The guy's coming back from nearly two years without playing. He needs some reps to get his groove back. This team is about long-term competitiveness, not necessarily winning right now. For that reason, DP needs his playing time to get back to form. Roloson is not the future of this team.

JKP is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
  #30
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,677
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
The fact remains, and I agree 100% with OTH, if this team is serious about winning then you play the goaltender that gives you that best chance. As of today, that goaltender is Roloson. Roloson should have started last night's game (whether we won or lost it) and he should be given majority starts until he takes himself out of it through his own play. Rick does need to play to "get back" (if he ever does that again anyway), but unfortunately this is the NHL and wins matter. I don't feel comfortable with him in net at this point and I'd like to win now and gather points while we're hot. The players also seem to emulate this on the ice in their style of play between the two netminders. Again, this all depends on whether the mentality surrounding this team is serious.

I am not a DP hater and I want him to return to old form, if it's possible. I think we'd have one of the most dangerous tandems in the league if this happened...plus, I am a fan of him. I think Izzo also hit the nail on the head when speaking about his agility back then compared to now.

As of today, the team looks decent. We can score and the defense, for the most part, is better...without our top-players. Play to win and play the people who give you that best chance. It's that simple. Until he fails, that man has been Roloson.
I think it's entirely possible to be serious about winning and still play DP more than Rolo right now, even though I agree that Rolo is playing better. Partially, because as you suggest if DP returns to form, or even close to it, we have an extremely strong tandem in net, and that bodes well for a full 82 game season. And the best way for him to do that is by playing.

But more importantly, is the simple fact that DP is signed for many years still and we are stuck with him, for better or worse, for the foreseeable future. Right now, it is important to get him game time, in order to figure out what sorts of workloads he's capable of and what level he can play at, as it makes it more possible to figure out and plan out the future of this team. The team won't always make the decisions that are best for winning the game that night with DP, but with luck, they could help us win more games in the future. We're in the 3rd year of Garth's 5 year rebuild plan, so development is still a major goal of the season. I see DP as a part of that. And we're 2-1-2 with him, so it's not like playing him is giving up on a chance to win.

Seph is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
  #31
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,410
vCash: 500
Not sure if this was mentioned yet - but he is moving way too far, especially to his left, when trying to cover the post. He was out of position more times in one period than Roloson has been in all his games combined.

I know he's getting his game back but that concerned me. He did have a decent 3rd period (results wise) until the Panthers scored. And is he serious with that late fungo attempt?! You'd think he learned by now, or Gordon would put the ixnay on that stuff.

RMimagery is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
  #32
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The guy's coming back from nearly two years without playing. He needs some reps to get his groove back. This team is about long-term competitiveness, not necessarily winning right now. For that reason, DP needs his playing time to get back to form. Roloson is not the future of this team.
I don't think we Isles fans should have to settle for this attitude anymore, regardless of the result.

I'm sure most of us agree that the 18 skaters on the ice are starting to think it's time to win.

Didn't DP say himself before the season, "No excuses," and **** rebuilding, we're in to win? These sentiments were in newsday, nhl.com and tsn. The team's not settling for a rebuild year - why should we?

I've noticed 3 things about the Isles this year, just form the 8 games played.

1) The players react far more comfortably when Roloson is in net.

2) The fans react far more comfortably when Roloson is
in net.

3) The team is more likely to suffer (hopefully only in the short term - yes, I'm capable of optimism) in the standings if DP uses NHL games to work out his kinks. Why should the team suffer? Isn't that what AHL rosters are for?


I really wish they'd have pulled up Poulin or Koskinen for the short term and let DP get 10-15 games on the bridge (if it's allowed....I just worked 15 hours and can barely remember my middle name let alone those rules.) He needs time to un**** himself, and if he can't do so constructively on the NHL roster, it will be the roster AND us fans that suffer from it.....and this is coming from a DP SUPPORTER!! I'd love nothing more than to see him regain his form from when he almost could play a little like Hasek, but I want the Isles as a team to be successful WAY more. Finally the team is playing clutch and it's starting to look like DP (despite a strong showing in TB) is more the detriment on the ice, getting bailed out by 18 year old kids rather than 5 years ago when it was the other way around.

I'm not grabbing the pitchforks and torches yet, but if the team starts suffering en masse due to DP's mistakes, I know which side I'm taking.

/end vent.


Last edited by 88th Precinct: 10-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
88th Precinct is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
  #33
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I think it's entirely possible to be serious about winning and still play DP more than Rolo right now, even though I agree that Rolo is playing better. Partially, because as you suggest if DP returns to form, or even close to it, we have an extremely strong tandem in net, and that bodes well for a full 82 game season. And the best way for him to do that is by playing.

But more importantly, is the simple fact that DP is signed for many years still and we are stuck with him, for better or worse, for the foreseeable future. Right now, it is important to get him game time, in order to figure out what sorts of workloads he's capable of and what level he can play at, as it makes it more possible to figure out and plan out the future of this team. The team won't always make the decisions that are best for winning the game that night with DP, but with luck, they could help us win more games in the future. We're in the 3rd year of Garth's 5 year rebuild plan, so development is still a major goal of the season. I see DP as a part of that. And we're 2-1-2 with him, so it's not like playing him is giving up on a chance to win.
I fully agree - I would rather find a loophole (should one exist for this situation) to get him primetime minutes on the bridge, where it won't jeopardize the team's position in the standings as much. Development is still happening here (never really stops until the team in question hoists the cup; even then it's only a 2 1/2 month break) but the balance of 'franchise power' has shifted IMO - for far better than it is worse - to the likes of Tavares, Bailey & Okposo. I want to see them develop more confidence and the ability to scare the hell out of other squads. (Tavares may already kinda do that a TINY bit.) I think these guys developing the NHL-level leadership qualities to take an ex-lottery team by the wrist and drag it to 6th place come playoff time is way more important than flirting with sacrificing points in the standings not because DP's a bad goalie, just because he's brain-fart prone and rusty as a French guillotine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The guy's coming back from nearly two years without playing. He needs some reps to get his groove back. This team is about long-term competitiveness, not necessarily winning right now. For that reason, DP needs his playing time to get back to form. Roloson is not the future of this team.
If we're talking futures here, it would be very short sighted not to have a non-Roloson option getting at least a cup of coffee with the Isles, preferably before the playoff push. Again, I'm a DP supporter but I'm not betting the barn on him playing 70 games next year. That's just a clear cut case of how Garth could be gaining an advantage by handling one of tomorrow's problems today.

88th Precinct is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
  #34
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Ya gotta feel bad for the guy.
How he ended up here.
We all know the trade, we all know the story, no need to rub salt in that wound.

If he was taken with the 4th pick (I think we had that pick as well in that draft) and Luongo wasn't traded, the Isles had both, and were in sort of a Beezer or Richter state; well, I think how he ended up here (one might even call him a "Milbury Poster Boy") is quite a big factor in the DP hate.

I think he's trying too hard. He's trying to overcompensate. Trying to be the hero. He just might (re)injure himself by trying to overcompensate. Just stop the puck.

Stop the puck.
Play the game.
Don't be the hero.
Enjoy playing the game.

I wonder how much work he's doing with Sudsie. He isn't positionally sound. That' something (and the first thing) that needs to be worked on.

And, yes, I feel more comfortable with Roli in net. And yes, like some of you, I try to see in his facemask to see if he is wincing after a save.

He should play every other game...its that simple.

Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:43 PM
  #35
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 500
Funny you mention the Milbury connection....usually I lay this one on Wang (70%) and Snow (30%) since the mega-contract was one of the first moves in Snow's tenure, propagated by Wang himself. (Snow's moves after this point suggest a higher intelligence, though.)

He'd be a more suitable hero if he just let his game be as boringly effective as possible. Hell, that's all I want from him. It's easier to stop pucks when you're not trying to be Bruce Lee.

88th Precinct is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
  #36
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Funny you mention the Milbury connection....usually I lay this one on Wang (70%) and Snow (30%) since the mega-contract was one of the first moves in Snow's tenure, propagated by Wang himself. (Snow's moves after this point suggest a higher intelligence, though.)

He'd be a more suitable hero if he just let his game be as boringly effective as possible. Hell, that's all I want from him. It's easier to stop pucks when you're not trying to be Bruce Lee.
snow had 0% to do with that contract. it was all wang when he had The Rick watch a justin timberlake concert with him in the owners box or whatever..

Riddick is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
  #37
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,684
vCash: 500
Welp, this is how I see the DP situation.

Right now, he should be our #2 for two reasons.

1. Currently, he is not as good as Roli.

2. This is his 1st season being healthy in a long time. Lets not **** it up.


1. At this point, Roli is the better tender, plain and simple. Thats no shot at DP, its just true. Its obvious that he is rusty from all the time away. We're currently off to a good start, so lets give us the best chance to win and start Roli the majority of the times. It should be a 2/3-1 ratio until DP PROVES IN MULTIPLE GAMES that he is capable of being our #1. Am I saying DP blows? No. Im just saying that Roli is better right now. Later on this season, DP could be the better goalie.

2. How many games has DP played in the past 3 years? How many more years is he signed for? Why do we feel like we must play DP as the starter if he is not playing like it? We have DP for 10 more years, so lets take it easy. Lets just get through a season w/o DP getting hurt. Having him play 30 games this year would be a HUGE success for him.

Riseonfire is online now  
Old
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
  #38
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal
 
Hershey Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
I think the point that a lot of people are missing is that we shouldn't be sacrificing games as a result of DP's poor play and chalking it up to him "shaking off rust" and "getting back in his groove." You can't blame him for looking a little shaky with how few games he's played in the past handful of seasons. However, it's frustrating to see his exercise in getting back to his old self hurting the team and costing us games.

Sure, he had a great game against Tampa Bay. He had a bad game against Florida. Consistency is an attribute of good players and until he has that back, he shouldn't be the number one goaltender.

There's a place where Islanders go to shake off rust and get back in their groove. That place is called Bridgeport. Send him down and give him his starts. When he's back to form, bring him up and give him some starts to see if he's really ready or not.

Roloson has proved that he is more than able to be the number one goaltender for this team. Why he isn't is beyond me.

Hershey Hockey is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
  #39
LateNightOilerFan
Registered User
 
LateNightOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
I think the point that a lot of people are missing is that we shouldn't be sacrificing games as a result of DP's poor play and chalking it up to him "shaking off rust" and "getting back in his groove." You can't blame him for looking a little shaky with how few games he's played in the past handful of seasons. However, it's frustrating to see his exercise in getting back to his old self hurting the team and costing us games.

Sure, he had a great game against Tampa Bay. He had a bad game against Florida. Consistency is an attribute of good players and until he has that back, he shouldn't be the number one goaltender.

There's a place where Islanders go to shake off rust and get back in their groove. That place is called Bridgeport. Send him down and give him his starts. When he's back to form, bring him up and give him some starts to see if he's really ready or not.

Roloson has proved that he is more than able to be the number one goaltender for this team. Why he isn't is beyond me.
Sending him down to Bridgeport would involve putting him on waivers and I don't think the Isles want that label on him, even though I can't see anyone picking him up at full salary before assignment or even half salary on re-entry. In order to avoid waivers the rules are he would have to not see any NHL action for 30 days or 10 games (if I recall correctly) and then only be allowed a 2 week AHL conditioning stint before coming back up to the NHL.

LateNightOilerFan is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 06:25 AM
  #40
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Funny you mention the Milbury connection....usually I lay this one on Wang (70%) and Snow (30%) since the mega-contract was one of the first moves in Snow's tenure, propagated by Wang himself. (Snow's moves after this point suggest a higher intelligence, though.)

He'd be a more suitable hero if he just let his game be as boringly effective as possible. Hell, that's all I want from him. It's easier to stop pucks when you're not trying to be Bruce Lee.
Why I called him a poster boy for Milbury:
Out of all the bad moves, curious trades, and poor drafting, DP is the biggest profile one that is still on the Island.

Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
  #41
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
I wonder what the players think?

I wonder what their reaction is when they hear Dipi is going to be in goal again?

I'm willing to bet that the good majority of them feels Roloson is currently the better goalie; and they'd be right.

There are alterior motives behind having Dipietro in net now. Surely Snow and Gordon know that they can always lean on Roloson if they need to, so they want to use this part of the season to see just what Dipietro is capable of handling. I thought they'd slide him in easily, but this is really full speed ahead at the moment. Who knows, it might be the right way to go. It's not like Dipi has been blown out of the water yet, although he has given up a few goals that likely wouldn't have come with Roloson in goal. Then again, he's stopped a few things nicely as well. No guarantee that those things don't go in with another goalie in net.

Dipi's started six of eight, eh?

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
  #42
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
we shouldn't be giving DP practice in so many games. Roli should be the starter. Contracts do not dictate where you play.

He has be horrid with the exception in TB. We have a chance with Roli not with DP or not until DP shows he can play at an NHL level

MTK is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
  #43
Potvins Cups
Registered User
 
Potvins Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Why I called him a poster boy for Milbury:
Out of all the bad moves, curious trades, and poor drafting, DP is the biggest profile one that is still on the Island.
Didn't Milbury say DP was going to "revolutionize the game" with his fabulous stickhandling skills?

Potvins Cups is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 09:23 AM
  #44
redbull
game on
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,798
vCash: 500
I find it funny that we have a thread dedicated specifically to criticism of one player. Let's assume that it's meant as "constructive criticism" about goaltending in general, otherwise it's just a forum to bash the goalie. If that's the case, we should have one for Wang and Snow and Gordon, to start.

Do contracts dictate who plays? Yes. Unless you're NJ who can afford to pay $100 million dollars for a healthy player to watch them play, the contract does matter. The contract is a reflection of the team's commitment to the player, right or wrong. They chose DiPietro as their goalie of the future and the negotiated term was for 15 years. That's a strategic decision made by the current owner and they have every right to give the player a chance to regain his form.

I agree that Roloson is a better goalie right now, not even close. If the team were to believe that they could address their goaltending one year at a time, given what was available on the UFA market then I'd be just as concerned, strategically, as giving a 15 year contract to a goalie. They are both flawed strategies.

Dealing with the right now: You have to play BOTH goalies with a skew on DiPietro. The team believes, and I agree, that a DiPietro at 100% is far better than Roloson at 100%, not just for this season, but for the next five seasons.

Are you "throwing away games" by playing DiPietro ahead of Roloson? Easy to say so after a loss. Would Roloson have played as well as he did in Toronto? Nice to have hindsight.

It's not as though DiPietro is playing like a young Yann Danis out there. He's playing well, he's just not playing fantastic, which is understandable. He looks great at times and he looks like he's missed two years at other times. He's (incredibly) moving very well in goal, he seems very active and agile in the crease, ala Tim Thomas, and that's very encouraging.

I wonder how this board would respond if he'd stopped that Dvorak shot (which he almost got) and had Tavares added a 4th goal to win the game (that's certainly plausible given the touch around the net he has - of course Parenteau would have gotten an assist).

Let's give DiPietro time.

To me, it's no different that giving a "chance" to players like Schremp, Grabner, Niederreiter, Parenteau, Moulson, except you actual OWE IT to yourself (as the owner, as the franchise) in terms of DiPietro (given his TALENT and his contract).

If anyone deserves a pass it's DiPietro.

redbull is online now  
Old
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
  #45
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
It's different. There's opinion with educated support, and then there's opinion for the sake of opinion. The latter doesn't really add anything to the discussion, considering it doesn't take well to educated support.
With all due respect, Why do you, or anyone else for that matter, get to define which one is which? The people who are frustrated with DP, or any other player, have the right to voice those opinions as much as the rest of us.

You can either value them and respond, or write them off as unfair and move on...but to censor them by making sure they are separate from the GDT is absurd in my opinion...just the way I see it.

RWWallpaper is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
  #46
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I find it funny that we have a thread dedicated specifically to criticism of one player. Let's assume that it's meant as "constructive criticism" about goaltending in general, otherwise it's just a forum to bash the goalie. If that's the case, we should have one for Wang and Snow and Gordon, to start.

Do contracts dictate who plays? Yes. Unless you're NJ who can afford to pay $100 million dollars for a healthy player to watch them play, the contract does matter. The contract is a reflection of the team's commitment to the player, right or wrong. They chose DiPietro as their goalie of the future and the negotiated term was for 15 years. That's a strategic decision made by the current owner and they have every right to give the player a chance to regain his form.

I agree that Roloson is a better goalie right now, not even close. If the team were to believe that they could address their goaltending one year at a time, given what was available on the UFA market then I'd be just as concerned, strategically, as giving a 15 year contract to a goalie. They are both flawed strategies.

Dealing with the right now: You have to play BOTH goalies with a skew on DiPietro. The team believes, and I agree, that a DiPietro at 100% is far better than Roloson at 100%, not just for this season, but for the next five seasons.

Are you "throwing away games" by playing DiPietro ahead of Roloson? Easy to say so after a loss. Would Roloson have played as well as he did in Toronto? Nice to have hindsight.

It's not as though DiPietro is playing like a young Yann Danis out there. He's playing well, he's just not playing fantastic, which is understandable. He looks great at times and he looks like he's missed two years at other times. He's (incredibly) moving very well in goal, he seems very active and agile in the crease, ala Tim Thomas, and that's very encouraging.

I wonder how this board would respond if he'd stopped that Dvorak shot (which he almost got) and had Tavares added a 4th goal to win the game (that's certainly plausible given the touch around the net he has - of course Parenteau would have gotten an assist).

Let's give DiPietro time.

To me, it's no different that giving a "chance" to players like Schremp, Grabner, Niederreiter, Parenteau, Moulson, except you actual OWE IT to yourself (as the owner, as the franchise) in terms of DiPietro (given his TALENT and his contract).

If anyone deserves a pass it's DiPietro.
Could not disagree more.

If anyone should have to prove himself and earn his position, it is DP. If it were not for his contract, he'd be fighting his way back in the AHL. That is the truth. It's not DP hate, it's the way it is (or at least my strong opinion).

My own personal opinion is that DiPietro has been for the most part, largely over rated. He has had his moments to be sure where he has had very good runs (so have many other mediocre goalies) but his downfall is the way he plays where that part of me thinks "oh my god just stay in the net......nooooooooooo don't do that!!!!!". You can count on at least least one or two boneheaded decisions OUT of his net every game (and I'm being very generous here). If he were a defenseman, people here would be calling for his head.

He would be a far more effective goalie if he adjusted his game to let it come to him rather than being aggressive in net. When he is at his best, he lets the puck come to him and does not overplay it and absorb shots and let's the D do their jobs. I think everyone can agree on that.

The way this team plays (aggressive forecheck...quick collapse in defensive zone) we are far better off with a conservative approach in net that compliments the style of the aggressive nature of the rest of the team. That is why Rolie fits better and the team plays better with him in net.

I would hate to play defense with DP in net. Too much confusion and hesitation because no one never knows what "play" DP is going to want to make. He hurts this team by his poor positioning OUT of the net far more than his play between the pipes. He causes players to have to change their own game and over compensate and commit because of how this is how DP WANTS to play. He screws them up.

Watch the defensemen on opposing teams as soon as you can see him handling the puck behind the net, they go right to the boards as soon as he starts "thinking" about what he wants to do. Then the opposing D stop it almost every time. If DP does not send it around the boards, he will attempt to send right up the middle of the ice.

It's not even the turn overs he causes but because of the way he plays - and has always played - he causes other players to make mistakes because of his consistently unpredictable decision making.

On Edge is online now  
Old
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
  #47
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Do people have the right to vent in a GDT thread...to an extent sure.

But this DP stuff has gone a bit overboard...and i thought myself he had played like **** yesterday.

It went waaayyy Off Topic.

This is a family friendly site and there are site rules that have to be followed.

and heres one of them.


The fact Sal set up this DP critcism thread ...should show that we the Mods are giving alot of leeway on this board on this topic.

btw...This isnt directed to anyone specific but..i hate to break this to some of you but this is a private message board,and if people dont like the way its run.... plenty of other sites that people can go to.

Now back to the main topic...

DP shouldnt be the #1...but with his contract what do you expect?
As any business thats invested heavily in someone,they need to see if he can ever be a #1 goalie again...or just move on.

Which i think will be decided within the next 2 seasons before the lockout.
Since when does player critisism interfere with this being a "family friendly site"?...I don't get that at all. I agree that use of certain language and such should be censored because there can be young people reading these posts and they should not be exposed to that kind of behavior.

That said, why would someone ripping any player be the cause for others to get so bent out of shape? Whenever you start to censor how people respond on a message board you end up with an sterile, watered down version of how people really feel. I don't think that helps any of the parties involved.

I appreciate that this is a private message board that can govern itself anyway it sees fit. I get that and respect it. However, we are the ones who make places like this possible and should not be subjected to that kind of censorship as far as I'm concerned. I also happen to agree with Sal that the criticism of DP is absurd and over the top most nights...but so what? I just skim past them and leave those posts behind. I don't see the need to take such dramatic steps towards removing them from the GDT's.

I have said my piece and won't bring it up again out of that aforementioned respect for those who rule here. The Mods have a tough job and do a very good job of keeping order here...I just thought, in this particular instance, it was unnecessary...but hey, that's just me.

RWWallpaper is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
  #48
redbull
game on
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Could not disagree more.

If anyone should have to prove himself and earn his position, it is DP. If it were not for his contract, he'd be fighting his way back in the AHL. That is the truth. It's not DP hate, it's the way it is (or at least my strong opinion).

My own personal opinion is that DiPietro has been for the most part, largely over rated. He has had his moments to be sure where he has had very good runs (so have many other mediocre goalies) but his downfall is the way he plays where that part of me thinks "oh my god just stay in the net......nooooooooooo don't do that!!!!!". You can count on at least least one or two boneheaded decisions OUT of his net every game (and I'm being very generous here). If he were a defenseman, people here would be calling for his head.

He would be a far more effective goalie if he adjusted his game to let it come to him rather than being aggressive in net. When he is at his best, he lets the puck come to him and does not overplay it and absorb shots and let's the D do their jobs. I think everyone can agree on that.

The way this team plays (aggressive forecheck...quick collapse in defensive zone) we are far better off with a conservative approach in net that compliments the style of the aggressive nature of the rest of the team. That is why Rolie fits better and the team plays better with him in net.

I would hate to play defense with DP in net. Too much confusion and hesitation because no one never knows what "play" DP is going to want to make. He hurts this team by his poor positioning OUT of the net far more than his play between the pipes. He causes players to have to change their own game and over compensate and commit because of how this is how DP WANTS to play. He screws them up.

Watch the defensemen on opposing teams as soon as you can see him handling the puck behind the net, they go right to the boards as soon as he starts "thinking" about what he wants to do. Then the opposing D stop it almost every time. If DP does not send it around the boards, he will attempt to send right up the middle of the ice.

It's not even the turn overs he causes but because of the way he plays - and has always played - he causes other players to make mistakes because of his consistently unpredictable decision making.

Sounds like you just don't like DiPietro as your #1 goalie. I think that's a fair point and I won't argue that with you.

You, like many fans, would prefer a goalie play more like Roloson. Stay in the net, don't pretend to be a defenseman, etc.
Even if 100% healthy, you don't like his style of goaltending, you don't believe it's best for the defense and best for team success.

Your point is that, contract aside, Roloson's better both in style and in overall goaltending. He gives the team a better chance to win.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
-----------------------
I won't argue the merits of a goalie who just stops the puck, controls rebounds and stays in his net. But that's not DP, never has been.

I believe a goalie that can move the puck well can really help a team and the defense - Brodeur did that with great success for a number of years, as have several others. DiPietro does that extremely well and YES, he often gets himself and the team in trouble. Does he turnover the puck as much as Jurcina or Gervais or Wisniewski - debatable (but that's not the point you make so let's leave it at that). The team needs to adjust to how DP plays and vice versa, that will take time.

In terms of PURE GOALTENDING, DiPietro's a very talented and athletic goalie who can make both spectacular saves and win games. He did that singlehandedly for many years before he got hurt, on some of the least talented teams ever assembled in pro hockey. It's a SMARTER move to help DiPietro get back to that level than it is to play Roloson for 50 games each year.

Sure, the contract is a huge part of it, no doubt. But he was signed to that contract because the team believed he was TALENTED enough (with compete level, a love for Long Island, etc) to be their goalie. Before he got hurt, he was looking like he would be that superstar the team needed and a player the team could win with. Let's not forget that.

DiPietro's disappointed ONLY with his injuries - hardly something he has control over. He never disappointed with his commitment to the franchise, his work effort and his willingness to battle, practice hard and to win games for THIS FRANCHISE.

Rather ironic when you consider how many fans whine about players who "refuse to come to this ****** team and ****** building"

We often overlook that and evaluate him simply on his last intercepted clearing attempt, not on the player who was showing real promise and immense talent before he got hurt.

I think Roloson's a great goalie, I believe that TODAY, in ANY ONE GAME, he probably is the goalie that gives the Islanders the best chance to win. But to me, that's a small point. This team is building to become a perennial contender for many years. This is long after Roloson is gone and DiPietro is the most talented goalie, with the highest upside, they have, regardless of contract.

Roloson, today, may be better than DP not unlike Weight, today, is better than Niederreiter.

redbull is online now  
Old
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
  #49
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
So will we conveniently ignore him being the reason the Isles won the game in TB?

How 'bout giving the guy more than 4 games to fully return from what was essentially a two-year absence? He shook off the general rust after like 2 games, and something tells me he's smart enough to work out the rest of the kinks as he goes along.
i agree with this, but i get the frustration (and the reason for this thread). fans don't want to wait for a guy who, as soon as he get's the rust off, will probably just get reinjured. i only say that because it will take a miracle for this guy to be healthy for a season, let alone the rest of his career. i'm talking about the nature of his injuries and the type of recovery someone can expect post-surgery.

name another star goalie who spent so much time on the shelf. they rarely exist and rarely return for good. unlike many, i commend ricky. i don't think he's the same brash guy that we foolishly based an offseason around a decade ago. i'll even go one step further and say that i think that i'm comfortably giving him 25 starts in the first 40 games to see if he can find his game. But come game 41, if he's still looking rusty, you've got to switch to Rollie. it's only fair to everyone else on the team at that point.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
  #50
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvins Cups View Post
Didn't Milbury say DP was going to "revolutionize the game" with his fabulous stickhandling skills?
Have you ever seen an NHL goalie lead the entire NHL in turnovers? That's revolutionary in my book

He's not good at it. At all. There was a time, but that was a different goalie, not this one. (which speaks volumes over the who-should-be-starter argument)

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.