HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ville Leino

Old
10-22-2010, 05:39 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Thought he finally had his legs under him tonight. He's never fast, but he had a little more speed than he's had in the first few games.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:18 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yea, he was a beast tonight. We gotta sign this guy again... and let Z go if he doesn't pick it up by the end of the year.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:52 AM
MsWoof

He played very well the past couple of games. We have to remember that both he and Pronger (and Carcillo) came off surgery and it's going to take them a while to get back up to speed.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leino leaves practice, downplays injury

With the offense stuggling as is..can ill afford an injury to Leino and that line. Hopefully, ok...

Quote:
Ville Leino, who had just started to round into form after off-season surgery to his left hip, left practice in Voorhees Friday after colliding with teammate Chris Pronger.

The Flyers' winger downplayed the injury.

Leino said he suffered a charley horse in his right thigh and that he hoped to play Saturday night against visiting Toronto.

"I got a little bit of his knee on my thigh....and I should be good to go," Leino said. "I just (injured) some muscles. I had some muscles that I didn't know.

"I hope it's good for (Saturday)."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._practice.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Is it possible that Leino is everything Zherdev was supposed to be?

Another ridiculously great game for him...even after Pronger "killed" him.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The only real "friendly fire" that constituted a "kill" IMO was when Lindros accidentally laid out Paul Coffey in a game....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:56 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
Not sure if that is a shot at Leino's talent, but the Wings didn't WANT to give him up, more like they HAD to give him up. From what I understand a lot of the wings management were very high on him and it was a tough trade for them to make. The wings spotted talent there, as usual, just couldn't keep him there.
Really? I probably just missed this but what was the whole scenario with the trade? At the time I thought it was fairly minor, even tho I had heard of Leino, I thought we just got a decent pickup for OKT

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The only real "friendly fire" that constituted a "kill" IMO was when Lindros accidentally laid out Paul Coffey in a game....
Hatcher on Lupul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
Really? I probably just missed this but what was the whole scenario with the trade? At the time I thought it was fairly minor, even tho I had heard of Leino, I thought we just got a decent pickup for OKT
While it's true that Leino was underperforming in Detroit coming off his great start, they definitely didn't want to give him up. He was a cap casualty. It's better if you think of the situation a lot like Gagne's. They could've waived Leino, but then they would've gotten nothing for him. So Detroit got a worthless defenseman and a long-shot pick, exactly what we got for Gags.

Old
10-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Mgkibbles

Every time I watch Leino I think Forsberg. Obviously Leino doesn't have the speed, shot, size and mean streak of Forsberg, but Leino's puck control, passing, creativity, patience and balance is eerily similar to Foppa.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:07 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
The thing with Leino, and that line, was that they worked very very well together. It's going to take time for them to get their timing with eachother down again.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hatcher on Lupul?

While it's true that Leino was underperforming in Detroit coming off his great start, they definitely didn't want to give him up. He was a cap casualty. It's better if you think of the situation a lot like Gagne's. They could've waived Leino, but then they would've gotten nothing for him. So Detroit got a worthless defenseman and a long-shot pick, exactly what we got for Gags.
Yeah if I recall correctly, Franzen was coming back from the LTIR

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Is it just me me or does he look a bit like Forrest Gump*.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:47 PM
jb**

Quote:
Hatcher on Lupul?

a cap casualty making 800k. They just wanted to move him which is fine as he has played well here. If they def didnt want to give him up a very good GM liek Holland wold have found a way to keep him. It really is nothing like Gagnes situation

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
a cap casualty making 800k. They just wanted to move him which is fine as he has played well here. If they def didnt want to give him up a very good GM liek Holland wold have found a way to keep him. It really is nothing like Gagnes situation
Remember when we waived Metropolit and Vaananen to free up room for Briere?

You're ignorant behind belief if you think Holland wanted to move Leino.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
Not sure if that is a shot at Leino's talent, but the Wings didn't WANT to give him up, more like they HAD to give him up. From what I understand a lot of the wings management were very high on him and it was a tough trade for them to make. The wings spotted talent there, as usual, just couldn't keep him there.
Detroit traded Leino because he was awful. Downright terrible, soft, hockey. He didn't work, he didn't try to create chances. He didn't do anything positive.

It is true the Wings would have kept him if not for cap constraints but if they thought Leino would have some semblance of a future in the franchise they would have waived Williams instead of traded Leino.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Detroit traded Leino because he was awful. Downright terrible, soft, hockey. He didn't work, he didn't try to create chances. He didn't do anything positive.

It is true the Wings would have kept him if not for cap constraints but if they thought Leino would have some semblance of a future in the franchise they would have waived Williams instead of traded Leino.
This is the correct answer.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Franzen was coming back from the LTIR, and the wings were over the cap and Leino was struggling and not meshing with the coach so he became trade bait. That was why OKT got waived and sent to the AHL right away because the wings needed the cap room (and roster room).

There might be more to it as well, and if you still dont believe it I can get a wings fan to come explain it.

Babcock or Holland (I dont remember which one), said that Leino was the best player he ever had to send the AHL (year before last)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Franzen was coming back from the LTIR, and the wings were over the cap and Leino was struggling and not meshing with the coach so he became trade bait. That was why OKT got waived and sent to the AHL right away because the wings needed the cap room (and roster room).

There might be more to it as well, and if you still dont believe it I can get a wings fan to come explain it.

Babcock or Holland (I dont remember which one), said that Leino was the best player he ever had to send the AHL (year before last)
And to put that into the perspective of those that said if Leino was any good the wings, who apparently "never miss," would not have given up on him...just look at what he's doing for our team right now. The kid has immense amounts of talent, and just because it's showing with a particular chemistry set, doesn't mean that Leino is someone just waiting to fail.

I hope we manage to hold onto him more than Zherdev. Yes, more than a former first round pick who put up 60 points in a season.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Every time I watch Leino I think Forsberg. Obviously Leino doesn't have the speed, shot, size and mean streak of Forsberg, but Leino's puck control, passing, creativity, patience and balance is eerily similar to Foppa.
I agree. I was saying something similar to this on Saturday watching him play the Leafs -- Leino is one of the best players I can remember us ever having at setting up on the half boards, Forsberg being the other standout to me.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:09 PM
jb**

Quote:
Remember when we waived Metropolit and Vaananen to free up room for Briere?

You're ignorant behind belief if you think Holland wanted to move Leino.
are you kidding me? the 2 situations are not that comparable. Shooter is an idiot and cant manage the cap. your a joke. Yeah so ingnorant. Bottom line is if they wanted to keep him they would have found a way.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
This is the correct answer.
though it wasnt what you said

Old
10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
are you kidding me? the 2 situations are not that comparable. Shooter is an idiot and cant manage the cap. your a joke
Then Holland is an idiot who can't manage the cap, because when we had to waive Metro and Ossi, we had two options:

1) Waive them.

or

2) Send down Giroux, who was showing signs of being a breakout player.

That's because Briere was coming back. Likewise, when Franzen was coming back, Holland was faced with a similar decision. He opted to trade Leino instead of losing someone for nothing.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Alright, troll.

For real though, I love Leino.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote