HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
  #51
LateNightOilerFan
Registered User
 
LateNightOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Sounds like you just don't like DiPietro as your #1 goalie. I think that's a fair point and I won't argue that with you.

You, like many fans, would prefer a goalie play more like Roloson. Stay in the net, don't pretend to be a defenseman, etc.
Even if 100% healthy, you don't like his style of goaltending, you don't believe it's best for the defense and best for team success.

Your point is that, contract aside, Roloson's better both in style and in overall goaltending. He gives the team a better chance to win.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
-----------------------
I won't argue the merits of a goalie who just stops the puck, controls rebounds and stays in his net. But that's not DP, never has been.

I believe a goalie that can move the puck well can really help a team and the defense - Brodeur did that with great success for a number of years, as have several others. DiPietro does that extremely well and YES, he often gets himself and the team in trouble. Does he turnover the puck as much as Jurcina or Gervais or Wisniewski - debatable (but that's not the point you make so let's leave it at that). The team needs to adjust to how DP plays and vice versa, that will take time.

In terms of PURE GOALTENDING, DiPietro's a very talented and athletic goalie who can make both spectacular saves and win games. He did that singlehandedly for many years before he got hurt, on some of the least talented teams ever assembled in pro hockey. It's a SMARTER move to help DiPietro get back to that level than it is to play Roloson for 50 games each year.

Sure, the contract is a huge part of it, no doubt. But he was signed to that contract because the team believed he was TALENTED enough (with compete level, a love for Long Island, etc) to be their goalie. Before he got hurt, he was looking like he would be that superstar the team needed and a player the team could win with. Let's not forget that.

DiPietro's disappointed ONLY with his injuries - hardly something he has control over. He never disappointed with his commitment to the franchise, his work effort and his willingness to battle, practice hard and to win games for THIS FRANCHISE.

Rather ironic when you consider how many fans whine about players who "refuse to come to this ****** team and ****** building"

We often overlook that and evaluate him simply on his last intercepted clearing attempt, not on the player who was showing real promise and immense talent before he got hurt.

I think Roloson's a great goalie, I believe that TODAY, in ANY ONE GAME, he probably is the goalie that gives the Islanders the best chance to win. But to me, that's a small point. This team is building to become a perennial contender for many years. This is long after Roloson is gone and DiPietro is the most talented goalie, with the highest upside, they have, regardless of contract.

Roloson, today, may be better than DP not unlike Weight, today, is better than Niederreiter.
Re the bolded - the concern I have is it may be smarter to play Roli for 50 games this year, so that DP has a better chance of fully recovering in order to play at least 50 games next season and hopefully onwards.

In other words, Roli was signed for 2 years to give DP enough time to fully recover. Why is it unreasonable to have DP move from hardly playing, to a 30 game season while the team has the luxury of having Roli, then have DP be completely ready to re-assume the starting role next season?

Why was it necessary to say at the beginning of the season, Rick's back, he's our number 1 again, he'll get most of the games?

LateNightOilerFan is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:05 PM
  #52
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
If it's the smarter move, then tell the players and fans that we're not in it this year unless by good fortune, and we're not going to do what it takes to win - YET?

I'd prefer to see the team do what it takes every period, every shift, to win, but that's just me.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
  #53
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
So will we conveniently ignore him being the reason the Isles won the game in TB?

How 'bout giving the guy more than 4 games to fully return from what was essentially a two-year absence? He shook off the general rust after like 2 games, and something tells me he's smart enough to work out the rest of the kinks as he goes along.
I admit it, and I said as much when it happened. He stole the game in TB.

But after 2 years of sitting on the shelf he shouldn't just be thrown into the fire as the #1 though. He should be a backup this year. He should be playing about 30-35 games and let Roloson get the rest.

The team plays better with Roloson in net, and unlike Rick, Roloson isn't trying to shake off the rust. It's ridiculous that Rick is getting starters minutes when he clearly doesn't deserve them.

The better goalie, the one who gives the team a better chance to win is on the bench.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
  #54
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Since when does player critisism interfere with this being a "family friendly site"?...I don't get that at all. I agree that use of certain language and such should be censored because there can be young people reading these posts and they should not be exposed to that kind of behavior.

That said, why would someone ripping any player be the cause for others to get so bent out of shape? Whenever you start to censor how people respond on a message board you end up with an sterile, watered down version of how people really feel. I don't think that helps any of the parties involved.

I appreciate that this is a private message board that can govern itself anyway it sees fit. I get that and respect it. However, we are the ones who make places like this possible and should not be subjected to that kind of censorship as far as I'm concerned. I also happen to agree with Sal that the criticism of DP is absurd and over the top most nights...but so what? I just skim past them and leave those posts behind. I don't see the need to take such dramatic steps towards removing them from the GDT's.

I have said my piece and won't bring it up again out of that aforementioned respect for those who rule here. The Mods have a tough job and do a very good job of keeping order here...I just thought, in this particular instance, it was unnecessary...but hey, that's just me.

Thanks first off. The reason why it became a big deal is because before the puck is even dropped for a game people were excessively complaining about him and therefore taking away from the actual discussion. I think we keep thinks pretty loose around here, but when the discussion strays so far to left field it ruins the said discussion. DiPietro gets a lot of crap just for being DiPietro. Again some people have grazed over my points, but I am all for criticizing him when he deserves it and not simply because he is DP.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:48 PM
  #55
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Thanks first off. The reason why it became a big deal is because before the puck is even dropped for a game people were excessively complaining about him and therefore taking away from the actual discussion. I think we keep thinks pretty loose around here, but when the discussion strays so far to left field it ruins the said discussion. DiPietro gets a lot of crap just for being DiPietro. Again some people have grazed over my points, but I am all for criticizing him when he deserves it and not simply because he is DP.
I agree with this.

There seemed to be a lot of DiPietro blame vs Tavares hat-trick excitement.

(by the way, Tavares looked really impressive last game. There will be a lot of unimpressive goals he's going to score in his career. I love the fact he scored to tie the game, three straight times. Impressive)

redbull is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
  #56
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Thanks first off. The reason why it became a big deal is because before the puck is even dropped for a game people were excessively complaining about him and therefore taking away from the actual discussion. I think we keep thinks pretty loose around here, but when the discussion strays so far to left field it ruins the said discussion. DiPietro gets a lot of crap just for being DiPietro. Again some people have grazed over my points, but I am all for criticizing him when he deserves it and not simply because he is DP.
I understand your point Sal but, as I said earlier, and with all due respect, who gets to define what's constructive and what's not? Trying to read people's minds in regard to where the criticism is coming from is a slippery slope my friend.

I just think we are all adults here and can handle irrational posts from our fellow members without going to these lengths to get them out of the GDT's. Again, I understand you guys can run this place anyway you see fit as it is a private message board...I just felt it incumbent upon me to get it on the record that I think it's unnecessary and dangerous to do so...

RWWallpaper is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
  #57
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Sal's just doing what's necessary.....DP in that game is cool, DP in this season, the way he's played....another topic. Simple filing. We just put the data in the wrong file. This is the right file.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
  #58
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The guy's coming back from nearly two years without playing. He needs some reps to get his groove back. This team is about long-term competitiveness, not necessarily winning right now. For that reason, DP needs his playing time to get back to form. Roloson is not the future of this team.
I understand that he is coming off 2 years of not playing but do we waste a season for one player to try to get better? If I was on the team and I was told that we are playing DP so he could get better. I would be asking for a trade. DP has not earned the right to be the starter. Thats it. Future? He may not be here in the future due to his injuries nor may not regain his form. So we waste another season on DP alone. Roli may not be the future but DP also is in the same boat.

If we are being told that our team is trying to make the playoffs, then Roli should be the starter until DP proves he is #1

MTK is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
  #59
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
I understand that he is coming off 2 years of not playing but do we waste a season for one player to try to get better? If I was on the team and I was told that we are playing DP so he could get better. I would be asking for a trade. DP has not earned the right to be the starter. Thats it. Future? He may not be here in the future due to his injuries nor may not regain his form. So we waste another season on DP alone. Roli may not be the future but DP also is in the same boat.

If we are being told that our team is trying to make the playoffs, then Roli should be the starter until DP proves he is #1
Says it all.

One man on the team or one team playing to achieve something?

The Isles would be a host organism if it's the former, correct? Doing what it takes for Tavares and Moulson and Okposo and Bailey to win AS WELL AS Rick.......or the team is there for Rick's nurturing. I guess the fans and team both get Lyme disease if he stays at AHL level stats

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
  #60
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
I understand that he is coming off 2 years of not playing but do we waste a season for one player to try to get better?
While you can make the point that Roli has played better in his 3 starts than DP in his 5, I think it's a stretch to suggest that the Islanders are wasting a season here.

Personally, I'd rather see the Isles give Roli 2 starts out of 3, but if they feel they need to get Rick 2 out of 3 starts, that's fine too. If DP gets embarrassed out there, I think we all know that Roli can step in and take the lion's share of the starts.

If Okposo comes back and fails to light it up for the first two weeks are there going to be Okposo Criticism Threads? (I hope not) Will people post that he's taking time away from some other player and that we are wasting a season?

Are the same people demanding we play Roli more the same ones who thought we should have traded Roli at the deadline last season? (I'm too lazy to check) - it astounds me how far into despair we are that even while the team is playing well, so many people need to have things to complain about.

Waste of a season 8 games in, with our team near the top of the standings. Sure.

And You Feel Shame is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
  #61
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
I understand that he is coming off 2 years of not playing but do we waste a season for one player to try to get better? If I was on the team and I was told that we are playing DP so he could get better. I would be asking for a trade. DP has not earned the right to be the starter. Thats it. Future? He may not be here in the future due to his injuries nor may not regain his form. So we waste another season on DP alone. Roli may not be the future but DP also is in the same boat.

If we are being told that our team is trying to make the playoffs, then Roli should be the starter until DP proves he is #1
do you really think Roloson is THAT MUCH better than DiPietro today? Seriously?

Is this because of ONE BAD game against Florida? He wasn't even that bad in that loss, he made some nice saves and you could hardly fault him on the winning goal. Outside Tavares, the whole team played poorly IMO.

Against TB he was incredible.

Do we expect Roloson to play every game like he did against Toronto? Is that an expectation that's realistic?

I ABSOLUTELY believe you have to give DiPietro time to get his game back, for the benefit of THE TEAM, not DiPietro.

If you think that starting DiPietro is somehow reflecting "not winning now" I strongly suggest you look at the bigger picture. Like using Yashin's buyout money and not placing Streit on LTIR to have enough cap space to hit the cap floor.

Signing Moulson last year was a calculated (cheap) risk.

Signing PAParenteau in the off-season and GIVING HIM first line minutes alongside their prized #1 overall pick is a joke, not a strategy.

Having 2 waiver pickups in the top 9 is screaming of "not winning now"

Playing Bailey for two years when he clearly didn't belong or even keeping Niederreiter this year tells me, as a fan, that we don't plan to compete this year.

I'd have been happier and more convinced that "winning now" mattered if we did what Phoenix did last year with their roster.

The Islanders are NOT PLANNING TO win now, they are HOPING they can win now GIVEN the roster decisions they've made. I'm not saying they won't continue playing well and maybe they have a shot at the playoffs but if you think DP's on the list of "why this team doesn't win now" I suggest he's an unnecessary fan scapegoat for a franchise who hasn't seen much playoffs at all under the current owner/regime.

I feel like I'm defending DiPietro for some odd reason - I think Roloson is a better goalie today, to be clear. But not allowing DiPietro the proper game-time to get better is completely absurd to me, contract or no contract.

redbull is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
  #62
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
If we relegated Tavares to third line minutes and put Weight out as first line center with stats half as good as Tavares....for a few games? Fine.....just checking the tires. For a month? Silly. For the season? Tavares has EARNED the playing time and has the stats to back it up.

Kinda like Rollie has.


Maybe the better scenario would be playing our new toy Nino over waiver pickup Parentau (our leading scorer) because we want to see what Nino can do more than do what it takes to make the playoffs.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
  #63
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Haters please step to the left. DiPi is going to be a 40 game winner this year. We're the Devils now and they're the Islanders. Bet Kovalchuk wishes he signed here now. that fool Trottier! And that fool Kovalchuk!

Lets get a new arena and call it a season. **** you KC.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
  #64
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Sal's just doing what's necessary.....DP in that game is cool, DP in this season, the way he's played....another topic. Simple filing. We just put the data in the wrong file. This is the right file.
Having a separate DP thread is not the issue here OTH...asking people not to post what's deemed irrational opinions about him is another story...

RWWallpaper is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
  #65
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
While you can make the point that Roli has played better in his 3 starts than DP in his 5, I think it's a stretch to suggest that the Islanders are wasting a season here.

Personally, I'd rather see the Isles give Roli 2 starts out of 3, but if they feel they need to get Rick 2 out of 3 starts, that's fine too. If DP gets embarrassed out there, I think we all know that Roli can step in and take the lion's share of the starts.

If Okposo comes back and fails to light it up for the first two weeks are there going to be Okposo Criticism Threads? (I hope not) Will people post that he's taking time away from some other player and that we are wasting a season?

Are the same people demanding we play Roli more the same ones who thought we should have traded Roli at the deadline last season? (I'm too lazy to check) - it astounds me how far into despair we are that even while the team is playing well, so many people need to have things to complain about.

Waste of a season 8 games in, with our team near the top of the standings. Sure.
How has DP earned the #1 spot? Answer that because he has not

Okposo is not a goalie and will not be out for 2 years and to compare those two is pointless. Nor has he had 30 surgeries in the last two years.

In my opinion Roli has this year and has continued his play from last year. Once DP shows he is #1 then he should be #1. I agree with the 2 out of 3 starts go to Roli.

As of now a contract is dictating who starts and that is an issue

MTK is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
  #66
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I feel like I'm defending DiPietro for some odd reason - I think Roloson is a better goalie today, to be clear. But not allowing DiPietro the proper game-time to get better is completely absurd to me, contract or no contract.
The debate is "WHAT IS THE PROPER GAME TIME?"

A 3.22GAA vs. a 1.65? An .880 Sv% vs a .940Sv%?

A win two out of three games beats a win two of five.

Rick has looked rusty....he needs time and he has an injury last year from not being cautious in returning (being overplayed). Slow it down and give the better performing goalie more time. If Rick deserves more time, his game will say so. It will 100% without question be better than Rollie's, which it has not been this year, even with the TB performance.

But the best man doesn't win on LI. The better marketing chip does.That's why we drafted Rick to begin with.

If Rick played three games to Rollie's five, just how awful would that be on the coach's part?

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
  #67
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Having a separate DP thread is not the issue here OTH...asking people not to post what's deemed irrational opinions about him is another story...
gotcha....I thought the beef was with the separate thread.

DP sucks at jai alai, BTW. Just an opinion. Always on his face when the ball comes at him.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
  #68
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
gotcha....I thought the beef was with the separate thread.

DP sucks at jai alai, BTW. Just an opinion. Always on his face when the ball comes at him.
I don't think our viewers appreciate it very much when we agree on these things OTH...gotta step your game up...

RWWallpaper is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
  #69
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
do you really think Roloson is THAT MUCH better than DiPietro today? Seriously?

Is this because of ONE BAD game against Florida? He wasn't even that bad in that loss, he made some nice saves and you could hardly fault him on the winning goal. Outside Tavares, the whole team played poorly IMO.

Against TB he was incredible.

Do we expect Roloson to play every game like he did against Toronto? Is that an expectation that's realistic?

I ABSOLUTELY believe you have to give DiPietro time to get his game back, for the benefit of THE TEAM, not DiPietro.

If you think that starting DiPietro is somehow reflecting "not winning now" I strongly suggest you look at the bigger picture. Like using Yashin's buyout money and not placing Streit on LTIR to have enough cap space to hit the cap floor.

Signing Moulson last year was a calculated (cheap) risk.

Signing PAParenteau in the off-season and GIVING HIM first line minutes alongside their prized #1 overall pick is a joke, not a strategy.

Having 2 waiver pickups in the top 9 is screaming of "not winning now"

Playing Bailey for two years when he clearly didn't belong or even keeping Niederreiter this year tells me, as a fan, that we don't plan to compete this year.

I'd have been happier and more convinced that "winning now" mattered if we did what Phoenix did last year with their roster.

The Islanders are NOT PLANNING TO win now, they are HOPING they can win now GIVEN the roster decisions they've made. I'm not saying they won't continue playing well and maybe they have a shot at the playoffs but if you think DP's on the list of "why this team doesn't win now" I suggest he's an unnecessary fan scapegoat for a franchise who hasn't seen much playoffs at all under the current owner/regime.

I feel like I'm defending DiPietro for some odd reason - I think Roloson is a better goalie today, to be clear. But not allowing DiPietro the proper game-time to get better is completely absurd to me, contract or no contract.
See i never said Roli overall skill level was better. We have no clue what level DP is at. At this point in time who is in better game shape and has played better this season Roli.

I am not comparing skill levels since we have no clue what DP can do now. DP having full blown starter time is my issue. I am not saying give him a game every so often but right now he should not get the majority of starts. Once he starts getting use to the game again then start the throwing more starts at him,

With regards to winning now, I understand your point but this team seems to better than years past and as the season goes on and we see DP is losing us games. Do you still play him as much? The games DP won was because of our team stepping up and scoring except for TB, he played well.

I want DP to get back to form like he was, its best for this team. I just don't think we should be carting him out there majority of games. He is super slow still as we have seen and seems to have problems locating the puck .

I do not think DP has earned the spot to be starting most games. If you believe so, please give me some examples. Earning a spot is key like Matt Moulsen has done, PAP has done ( i hate that guy), like sim has done. These guys have earned their time on team.

MTK is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
  #70
DPSNAGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianesq78 View Post
The difference between DP and Rollie is that Rollie can steal a game for you and DP can lose a game for you. Rollie should be in goal. The fans shouldnt have to suffer for the worst contract ever!
rememeber the 58 sv or w.e performance it was against the rags couple years ago...he can steal games

whether you like it or not dp will be our goalie for a while...rollie is the man but who knows if he will be here after this season

dp is not going to immediately step back into the form he was be4 he got hurt b.c thats just impossible...hes played very very little games over the past 2 years so to me it is no surprise that he gives up a bad goal every now and then but he has shined every now and then...hes still adapting to the game and in a month or so, i feel like he will be ready to shine

he wont adapt and shake off the rust unless he plays at least 1 or 2 games a week so this is why he and rollie switch basically every 2 games...the tandem in fine with me

DPSNAGS is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 04:23 PM
  #71
hockeygoon15
Registered User
 
hockeygoon15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
You guys just need to relax a little. We're not playing DP right now because he gives us the better chance to win, we're playing him to get him acclimated to NHL action again. If there’s no improvement come the end of December feel free to start the discussion. End of February and no improvement? Sound the alarm. Give him some time. Yes, he has a very aggressive style but it works very well when he’s on his game.

The poor guy has been on the shelf for the last two years. Like I said, just give him a couple more months to get back into the grove. Don’t expect to win the games he starts – and certainly don’t expect him to win the games for us. Watch to see if he gets more comfortable, makes better decisions and see if he can slowly return to his Olympic/all-star form.

Edit: And thanks Sal for making this thread. When I go to a GDT I don't want to read 25% of the posts about how DP plays. We know how he plays. It's almost as bad as going to a Rangers GDT and seeing how often they ***** about Avery getting a penalty.

hockeygoon15 is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
  #72
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Thanks first off. The reason why it became a big deal is because before the puck is even dropped for a game people were excessively complaining about him and therefore taking away from the actual discussion. I think we keep thinks pretty loose around here, but when the discussion strays so far to left field it ruins the said discussion. DiPietro gets a lot of crap just for being DiPietro. Again some people have grazed over my points, but I am all for criticizing him when he deserves it and not simply because he is DP.
Ok here goes...

That is where I differ with your perspective. Can you explain what "excessively complaining" is? I certainly think DiPietro's (or any player's) performance is something that is game related - especially when some here think that playing Roloson more often might be in the best interest of the team.

Why shouldn't this subject be something that dominates this board's conversation? At least until DP can make a case for himself either way? It's part of what makes reading posts here interesting and fun to read. If DP kicks butt and has a .933 SP and a great GAA it will just go away!

By the way...not that stats mean everything but look here:

DP
GAA 3.31 SP .882

Roloson
GAA 1.65 SP .942

I do think the stats do reflect the difference in quality of both of their games at this point.

On Edge is online now  
Old
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
  #73
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
You all also have to remember that Gordon is a goalie so he knows better than to get on Ricky for not controlling the rebound off of a high deflection.

Renbarg is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
  #74
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I understand your point Sal but, as I said earlier, and with all due respect, who gets to define what's constructive and what's not? Trying to read people's minds in regard to where the criticism is coming from is a slippery slope my friend.

I just think we are all adults here and can handle irrational posts from our fellow members without going to these lengths to get them out of the GDT's. Again, I understand you guys can run this place anyway you see fit as it is a private message board...I just felt it incumbent upon me to get it on the record that I think it's unnecessary and dangerous to do so...
I, too, notice that there is far too much editorial policing on this site. I've seen far too many "And we're done" thread locks lately. Most of which are not breaking any HF policies, but rather are locked due to what I perceive to be editorial slant.

beach is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
  #75
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Wow.....I pass out early last night and this thread goes BANG!!!11!!!OMFGZ!!!....

In order to put forth my opinion on this in a way that limits room for misunderstanding, the records of each goalie and performance in various games this season is getting ignored in this one....

1) We've seen BOTH goalies steal games. It ain't like Roloson can't do it because he's old, or that DP can't because of his Sputnik-reinforced hips.

2) When you're on the shelf for a while due to an injury, it takes some serious development before one is totally back in game shape. When I use the word 'development' I think, "Isn't that what the Bridge is for?"

3) Ricky on a conditioning stint works well in more than one way. It gives Koskinen/Poulin some games on an NHL bench plus a game or two to pop his cherry as far as the NHL game goes, while it gives DP time to get back in shape where a bad performance is slightly less dire. If this were Montréal, he'd be in protective custody. Good thing its not - he pressures himself enough already.

4) Looking at the amount of will this team is suddenly successfully imposing on other teams- (on the scoreboard if not physically......every game lost has been by ONE GOAL )- I highly doubt that the on-ice product views this season as a rebuild season as much as some of us on this board.

I know I don't.

There is no reason to doubt (yet) that most of this top-9 can't get us into the playoffs. Wait until Okposo gets back and it even improves. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for a game or two, but if it becomes obvious that DP's brainfarts cost us points in the standings on a regular enough basis for us fans to call it out and he's still the ad hoc #1 goalie......WTF???

Obviously, it's only been 1 game lost entirely and we've managed to take a point in 2 others.....but later on down the stretch, what is 6 points worth?

I'm not looking for a wholesale embargo of DP; as I said a page ago in a similar rant, I'm a DP supporter.....but I was an Islanders fan for almost 10 years before DP was drafted. What can benefit both other than giving DP a big workload with the Tigers, letting Roloson keep his game shape up top WHILE Koskinen or Poulin gets a cup of coffee?

If DP gets himself in to game shape without a conditioning stint, great.
....right up untll it becomes a detriment to the team. You don't pick one season or another to wake the h*ll up and start winning games. Look at Carolina ('06), Tampa ('04) and Anaheim ('07)....heck, add Edmonton ('06)......they got there because they didn't start a season with an "Oh well, if we don't make the playoffs, it's fine - we're rebuilding" attitude and that attitude makes me sick.

You think the team on this ice thinks it's rebuilding, willing to call this season exhibition just because one guy may not be 'ready yet'? Obviously not if you read half the press about the team towards the end of preseason.


Until Roloson proves otherwise, I think his steadiness plus this team's obvious growth can translate into making the post-season. Until DP proves otherwise, 2 years of inactivity is a lot to come back from with only 6 games and a near-joke of a preseason played.

Sometimes you gotta cut the damn cord, and I hope Gordon & Snow espouse this philosophy to Ricky. Either DP plays like an NHL goalie or he goes to Bridgeport where he can correct his game and come back or languish on his phat contract and let Wang pay it since it was his idea. (Not sure who cleared that up for me a page ago, but thanks the same.)

I love the fact that DP is so committed to the Islanders, but if this persists as a trend, our team could suck and then we get committed.....and as much of a surprise as it is, they don't make straight jackets in blue & orange.

Is this TEAM here to WIN A CUP, or mollycoddle ONE PLAYER?

/end rant.

88th Precinct is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.