Notices

What does Minny need?

Old
10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
We need a legitimate top 6 forward, we are stacked with 3rd line players and tweeners.

A 3rd line player is completely worthless to us.
I think there is a legitmate argument that we could use a quality 3rd line center.

Madden will only put in 20 points, and his defensive game is slipping with his age. When measured across the league, he is a poor option for a 3rd line center. He fits better as a 4th line center with PK time.

Brodziak could develop into a quality 3rd line center, one capable of ~40 points and solid defense, but his effort and skills are inconsistent. He also seems ideally placed as a 4th line center, who can chip in points with minimal minutes and shifting around the line-up to cover for injuries.

I would like to see Richards give more time to Brodziak as the season progresses (and Madden declines).

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
In summary, Ottawa fans want Havlat. I told them they can't have him. They want to offer Kovalev for him and CF would never make that trade. Besides after all they are looking for Defenseman. Also one of them had the nerve to ask if the Wild's current GM signed Havlat or was it a past GM. Just a travesty. If they have a MINOR deal, then that would be an actual starting point.
I disagree. We need a bruising defenceman.

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
LemaireisGOD

I think its more simple than any specific position...

The Wild need speed. Not Meth, like Dubay's favorite drug of choice but they need more speed throughout their lineup. If you're going to be a forechecking team you need speed on all of your lines, not just a few players here and there.

1st Line - Too Slow - Brunette and Koivu are both below average speed for a forecheck to work.

2nd Line - A little too slow - Havlat doesn't skate hard enough to make it fast enough to be truly effective on the forecheck. Cullen does and that's it. If Lats is here, he isn't fast enough either.

3rd Line - Fast enough, only if Nystrom is not on the 3rd line.

4th Line - Madden is fast enough, but no one else is unless Kobasew is playing on this line.

Could they get it? Not right away, certainly not with their cap situation. Sure it sounds easy to say they need cap space, of course they do but the reality is that isn't going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime I'd be drafting speed whenever possible. If they're fast and physical...even better.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
The Wild need speed. Not Meth, like Dubay's favorite drug of choice but they need more speed throughout their lineup. If you're going to be a forechecking team you need speed on all of your lines, not just a few players here and there.

1st Line - Too Slow - Brunette and Koivu are both below average speed for a forecheck to work.

2nd Line - A little too slow - Havlat doesn't skate hard enough to make it fast enough to be truly effective on the forecheck. Cullen does and that's it. If Lats is here, he isn't fast enough either.

3rd Line - Fast enough, only if Nystrom is not on the 3rd line.

4th Line - Madden is fast enough, but no one else is unless Kobasew is playing on this line.

Could they get it? Not right away, certainly not with their cap situation. Sure it sounds easy to say they need cap space, of course they do but the reality is that isn't going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime I'd be drafting speed whenever possible. If they're fast and physical...even better.
I agree with this. The type of system that Richards is trying to implement/utilize requires speed. And with where we are with the cap, it is hard to make adjustments without giving up too much. I am glad that some of the guys in the system (Gillies/Zucker off the top of my head) have speed. And even if the system/coaches change by the time our younger, faster guys are ready (assuming they reach their potential), speed will always be needed.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
LemaireisGOD

I don't see Colton Gillies...

As being overly fast. I know he has gotten a lot of praise for his skating, but his speed is similar to Martin Havlat. Often mentioned but seldom seen. Lots of floating...

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno, I've been seeing a lot more of a left wing lock style this year rather than just pure speed. Getting Bouchard back to play on the top line would sure help, and our third line would improve with Kobasew and Miettinen.

Really though, the passing needs to be a lot better and they need to give more effort for a full game. It's not like they're working super hard and not burying chances, they're only in it about half the game. Luckily the terrible 4-on-1 type rushes against are being controlled. But these passes into the skates and giveaways are killing us.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
How does Bouchard on the 1st line help at all? He doesn't shoot and he's a body check from someone like Doughty from not playing again for another year. Him on a PP 1st line wouldn't bother me as much because of where we attempt to shoot the puck at during the play.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's skilled, he makes great passes, he can bring the puck into the offensive zone (where Bruno/Koivu struggle), he's opens up space for his teammates by drawing players to him. He's not a hit away from anything, unless you consider every player who ever had a concussion a hit away from their career ending.

Compare him to Kobasew and Miettinen post lockout:

NameGPGAPtsShotsSh %PPGSh/G
Kobasew324776914659313.0%0.451.83
Bouchard3156615922556211.7%0.711.78
Miettinen390741081827719.6%0.471.98

We might forgive Kobasew's half goal per season and Miettinen's 1.5 goal per season advantage when we look at how Bouchard just blows them away in terms of creating offense (assists).

Bouchard makes his linemates better, far better than our options.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
He's skilled, he makes great passes, he can bring the puck into the offensive zone (where Bruno/Koivu struggle), he's opens up space for his teammates by drawing players to him. He's not a hit away from anything, unless you consider every player who ever had a concussion a hit away from their career ending.

Compare him to Kobasew and Miettinen post lockout:

NameGPGAPtsShotsSh %PPGSh/G
Kobasew324776914659313.0%0.451.83
Bouchard3156615922556211.7%0.711.78
Miettinen390741081827719.6%0.471.98

We might forgive Kobasew's half goal per season and Miettinen's 1.5 goal per season advantage when we look at how Bouchard just blows them away in terms of creating offense (assists).

Bouchard makes his linemates better, far better than our options.
I don't know who suggested it, but I might be down for pushing Miettinen AND Brunette to the 3rd line, with maybe Brodziak.

That would allow Koivu, Bouchard, and Kobasew (for now) on the 1st line. I just don't think Bouchard fits with Burnette. Brunette needs a guy standing in front of the net. That's not really an impressive 1st line, but Koivu could bounce between Kobasew/Bouchard and Brunette/Miettinen.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote