HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#8: Flyers @ Blue Jackets - Monday, Oct. 25, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
  #476
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,984
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I like him more and more each game.
Maybe he's the new Sami Kaps.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
  #477
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,784
vCash: 500
Don't worry...Carter scored 46 goals 1x in his career...

Anyway..looks like Lavy is p'ode big time. Nice that the same crap all last year is already starting...

Play that record boys....60 minutes ...play 60 minutes!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
  #478
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,044
vCash: 500
I'd be upset with tonight's game if lack of effort was the reason for the loss. But tonight it was so much more than that.

Players just dont have any chemistry with one another. We only have two lines working right now, and the other two are is complete disarray. I dont know if its because all the lines seem to be jumbled up every other game or if its cause its still early in the season, but maybe its a talented group of players that dont compliment each others strengths?

One thing that im pleased about is O'Donnell, and Mezaros. On both ends those guys look sharpe, and coming into the season this was suppose to be our 3rd pairing. One of if not the best third pairing in the NHL.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
  #479
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I'd be upset with tonight's game if lack of effort was the reason for the loss. But tonight it was so much more than that.

Players just dont have any chemistry with one another. We only have two lines working right now, and the other two are is complete disarray. I dont know if its because all the lines seem to be jumbled up every other game or if its cause its still early in the season, but maybe its a talented group of players that dont compliment each others strengths?

One thing that im pleased about is O'Donnell, and Mezaros. On both ends those guys look sharpe, and coming into the season this was suppose to be our 3rd pairing. One of if not the best third pairing in the NHL.
Spot on, they've gotten better every game.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
  #480
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,079
vCash: 500
i wonder how this team would look with a (healthy) gagne and asham?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
  #481
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i wonder how this team would look with a (healthy) gagne and asham?
The same.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
  #482
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Okay, here's my lines rant.

The Flyers started 12 forwards tonight. 7 of them I think are guys who can legitimately be in a top-6 (Carter, Richards, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux, JVR), 5 of them are 4th liners or worse (Zherdev, Betts, Shelley, Carcillo, Powe).

So right there, you obviously have a problem. Now, the easy way to solve the problem would be to stack the top-6 and then put the 4th line guys on the bottom.

The Flyers (Lavi and/or Holmgren) have eschewed this solution and decided to put 4th liners in our top-6. So we have Powe/Carcillo playing 12-15 minutes a night depending on who's with Richards and Zherdev getting 12 minutes a night and I'm sorry, but Zherdev has done NOTHING to show me that he is an NHL player.

Now, this may seem obvious, but I'll say it. Putting 4th line players with offensive weapons makes no ****ing sense. Do you see any other team in the NHL do this? Of course not, it's absolutely ****ing retarded.

What the Flyers have basically decided is that JVR-Carter and Richards-Giroux can create enough offense by themselves at ES that they need no contribution from the 3rd member of their lines. Considering that all of those guys have struggled, I'd say this philosophy is ****ing retarded.

Now going back to the 7+5 point. It's really important in today's NHL to have 25-40 point guys who can give you a solid 15 a night. Chicago had Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien last year, Detroit has Cleary/Helm/Eaves/Holmstrom, etc.

The Flyers have gotten rid of 3 of these guys in the past 18 months, Upshall, Knuble, and Asham. These guys make about 5.5 mill combined, the same as Zherdev and Carle.

They're immensely valuable because you can stick an Upshall or even an Asham or Knuble on a scoring line and those guys will help out. Sure, they won't lead the line, but they won't be anchors like Zherdev and Powe.

The Flyers have nobody like this on their roster and seeing as we seem determined to continue with this farcical 3 line madness, expect the scoring droughts to continue.

I don't blame JVR/Carter/Giroux/Richards one bit for their struggles, both present and future because at the NHL level, the defenders are simply too good.

You can't play 4 on 5 in the offensive zone and score tons of goals, it simply doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, the Flyers are living in the land of delusion.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
  #483
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Where's Jeff Carter?
I've been wondering this all year, with the exception of one game (and the preseason, when he looked primed for something good).

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
  #484
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i wonder how this team would look with a (healthy) gagne and asham?
Agreed...leaders gotta lead and they are not so haters are gonna hate and right now it's legit criticism. They don't feel like playing except Meszeros and O'Donnel and a few others like the Leino line...

Pronger is playing with one leg, Carle looks like he has a bulging disc in his head, Carter is just Carter, Richards doesn't seem like he's ready for the season, Zherdev is afraid of his shadow, JVR is playing like he's back in College..etc etc. At least Boucher tried his best....shades of last year.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
  #485
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,272
vCash: 500
We need Knuble back.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
  #486
hlrsr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Hi all.

Question, why did Timonen only play 13 minutes this game? Did he leave early or is he really sucking?

On that note, why doesn't he have any damn points this season?!

Signed,
A dude with Timonen in his pool

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:23 PM
  #487
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Okay, here's my lines rant.

The Flyers started 12 forwards tonight. 7 of them I think are guys who can legitimately be in a top-6 (Carter, Richards, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux, JVR), 5 of them are 4th liners or worse (Zherdev, Betts, Shelley, Carcillo, Powe).

So right there, you obviously have a problem. Now, the easy way to solve the problem would be to stack the top-6 and then put the 4th line guys on the bottom.

The Flyers (Lavi and/or Holmgren) have eschewed this solution and decided to put 4th liners in our top-6. So we have Powe/Carcillo playing 12-15 minutes a night depending on who's with Richards and Zherdev getting 12 minutes a night and I'm sorry, but Zherdev has done NOTHING to show me that he is an NHL player.

Now, this may seem obvious, but I'll say it. Putting 4th line players with offensive weapons makes no ****ing sense. Do you see any other team in the NHL do this? Of course not, it's absolutely ****ing retarded.

What the Flyers have basically decided is that JVR-Carter and Richards-Giroux can create enough offense by themselves at ES that they need no contribution from the 3rd member of their lines. Considering that all of those guys have struggled, I'd say this philosophy is ****ing retarded.

Now going back to the 7+5 point. It's really important in today's NHL to have 25-40 point guys who can give you a solid 15 a night. Chicago had Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien last year, Detroit has Cleary/Helm/Eaves/Holmstrom, etc.

The Flyers have gotten rid of 3 of these guys in the past 18 months, Upshall, Knuble, and Asham. These guys make about 5.5 mill combined, the same as Zherdev and Carle.

They're immensely valuable because you can stick an Upshall or even an Asham or Knuble on a scoring line and those guys will help out. Sure, they won't lead the line, but they won't be anchors like Zherdev and Powe.

The Flyers have nobody like this on their roster and seeing as we seem determined to continue with this farcical 3 line madness, expect the scoring droughts to continue.

I don't blame JVR/Carter/Giroux/Richards one bit for their struggles, both present and future because at the NHL level, the defenders are simply too good.

You can't play 4 on 5 in the offensive zone and score tons of goals, it simply doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, the Flyers are living in the land of delusion.



Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, Tangradi, and another one of Cooke, Kennedy, or Talbot in their top 6...They seem to get along just fine with 6+ 4th liners in their top 6. So no excuse.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
  #488
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Hi all.

Question, why did Timonen only play 13 minutes this game? Did he leave early or is he really sucking?

On that note, why doesn't he have any damn points this season?!

Signed,
A dude with Timonen in his pool
Mesz + O'Donnell were out there every other shift. Very impressive, maybe its a wake up call for Kimmo and Pronger.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
  #489
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,724
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Timonen played 21:32...

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
  #490
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,724
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, Tangradi, and another one of Cooke, Kennedy, or Talbot in their top 6...They seem to get along just fine with 6+ 4th liners in their top 6. So no excuse.
They also have 2 of the best players in the world. We have nothing close to Crosby or Malkin.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
  #491
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, Tangradi, and another one of Cooke, Kennedy, or Talbot in their top 6...They seem to get along just fine with 6+ 4th liners in their top 6. So no excuse.
Joking or serious?

Plus, the whole line thing does not apply to Crosby who is far, far better than anybody we have, not a knock on our guys, just the truth.

EDIT: But calling Kunitz, Dupuis, Tangradi, Cooke, and Kennedy 4th liners is just asinine.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
  #492
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,984
vCash: 831
“The first 40 minutes, there was nothing there. There was no jam to our game. We played mindless hockey without any energy. Without any passion,” Peter Laviolette.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
  #493
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,079
vCash: 500
yeah thats about right.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
  #494
hlrsr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Timonen played 21:32...
Oops. Either way, no points! What's up with him this year?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
  #495
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Every game we lose I think the same thing. It doesn't FEEL like a normal loss. It doesn't FEEL like we got outplayed and then lost but gave it our all, because then it wouldn't make me wonder. Instead, it feels like lazy play with no chemistry. All the talent in the world is on this team and it seems to just come and go whenever it wants. Sure, teams lose sometimes, but the Flyers just have a special way of doing it. What the **** is going on with this team sometimes? Pick a style and stick to it and play, stop screwing around. This **** drives me nuts sometimes. What ****ing dude do I have to blow to get a consistent hockey team around here?

Whatever. Go Flyers.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
  #496
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 500
Imagine...if our GM hadn't ****ed up the cap....we would have Upshall, a 2nd, no Carcillo...Gagne would still be on the team so we wouldn't need Zherdev...imagine...

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
  #497
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I think it's time for a bag skate.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
  #498
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Oops. Either way, no points! What's up with him this year?
Ummm, have you watched any games? He's been amazing. Tons of ice time, blocking shots, he's never been one to put up a ton of points consistently.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
  #499
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Every game we lose I think the same thing. It doesn't FEEL like a normal loss. It doesn't FEEL like we got outplayed and then lost but gave it our all, because then it wouldn't make me wonder. Instead, it feels like lazy play with no chemistry. All the talent in the world is on this team and it seems to just come and go whenever it wants. Sure, teams lose sometimes, but the Flyers just have a special way of doing it. What the **** is going on with this team sometimes? Pick a style and stick to it and play, stop screwing around. This **** drives me nuts sometimes.

Whatever. Go Flyers.
If it continues....the core has to be shaken up since the mentality derives from the core...right now it's pretty rotten all around and it's been endemic for a number of years now despite last year's run....

Need more commitment from the likes of Carter and Richards especially based on the investment and intent to invest further...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
  #500
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Imagine...if our GM hadn't ****ed up the cap....we would have Upshall, a 2nd, no Carcillo...Gagne would still be on the team so we wouldn't need Zherdev...imagine...
Gagne has his mental issues during the course of a season especially when coming off an injury and isn't doing too great right now on Tampa BUT......at least he would compete and offered two way play even if his offense went dry. Zherdev...not sure what he offers other than being Bob and Bartulis' pal and Panotch's enemy...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.