HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#8: Flyers @ Blue Jackets - Monday, Oct. 25, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I like him more and more each game.
Maybe he's the new Sami Kaps.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Don't worry...Carter scored 46 goals 1x in his career...

Anyway..looks like Lavy is p'ode big time. Nice that the same crap all last year is already starting...

Play that record boys....60 minutes ...play 60 minutes!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Jtown

I'd be upset with tonight's game if lack of effort was the reason for the loss. But tonight it was so much more than that.

Players just dont have any chemistry with one another. We only have two lines working right now, and the other two are is complete disarray. I dont know if its because all the lines seem to be jumbled up every other game or if its cause its still early in the season, but maybe its a talented group of players that dont compliment each others strengths?

One thing that im pleased about is O'Donnell, and Mezaros. On both ends those guys look sharpe, and coming into the season this was suppose to be our 3rd pairing. One of if not the best third pairing in the NHL.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I'd be upset with tonight's game if lack of effort was the reason for the loss. But tonight it was so much more than that.

Players just dont have any chemistry with one another. We only have two lines working right now, and the other two are is complete disarray. I dont know if its because all the lines seem to be jumbled up every other game or if its cause its still early in the season, but maybe its a talented group of players that dont compliment each others strengths?

One thing that im pleased about is O'Donnell, and Mezaros. On both ends those guys look sharpe, and coming into the season this was suppose to be our 3rd pairing. One of if not the best third pairing in the NHL.
Spot on, they've gotten better every game.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

i wonder how this team would look with a (healthy) gagne and asham?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The same.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Okay, here's my lines rant.

The Flyers started 12 forwards tonight. 7 of them I think are guys who can legitimately be in a top-6 (Carter, Richards, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux, JVR), 5 of them are 4th liners or worse (Zherdev, Betts, Shelley, Carcillo, Powe).

So right there, you obviously have a problem. Now, the easy way to solve the problem would be to stack the top-6 and then put the 4th line guys on the bottom.

The Flyers (Lavi and/or Holmgren) have eschewed this solution and decided to put 4th liners in our top-6. So we have Powe/Carcillo playing 12-15 minutes a night depending on who's with Richards and Zherdev getting 12 minutes a night and I'm sorry, but Zherdev has done NOTHING to show me that he is an NHL player.

Now, this may seem obvious, but I'll say it. Putting 4th line players with offensive weapons makes no ****ing sense. Do you see any other team in the NHL do this? Of course not, it's absolutely ****ing retarded.

What the Flyers have basically decided is that JVR-Carter and Richards-Giroux can create enough offense by themselves at ES that they need no contribution from the 3rd member of their lines. Considering that all of those guys have struggled, I'd say this philosophy is ****ing retarded.

Now going back to the 7+5 point. It's really important in today's NHL to have 25-40 point guys who can give you a solid 15 a night. Chicago had Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien last year, Detroit has Cleary/Helm/Eaves/Holmstrom, etc.

The Flyers have gotten rid of 3 of these guys in the past 18 months, Upshall, Knuble, and Asham. These guys make about 5.5 mill combined, the same as Zherdev and Carle.

They're immensely valuable because you can stick an Upshall or even an Asham or Knuble on a scoring line and those guys will help out. Sure, they won't lead the line, but they won't be anchors like Zherdev and Powe.

The Flyers have nobody like this on their roster and seeing as we seem determined to continue with this farcical 3 line madness, expect the scoring droughts to continue.

I don't blame JVR/Carter/Giroux/Richards one bit for their struggles, both present and future because at the NHL level, the defenders are simply too good.

You can't play 4 on 5 in the offensive zone and score tons of goals, it simply doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, the Flyers are living in the land of delusion.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Where's Jeff Carter?
I've been wondering this all year, with the exception of one game (and the preseason, when he looked primed for something good).

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agreed...leaders gotta lead and they are not so haters are gonna hate and right now it's legit criticism. They don't feel like playing except Meszeros and O'Donnel and a few others like the Leino line...

Pronger is playing with one leg, Carle looks like he has a bulging disc in his head, Carter is just Carter, Richards doesn't seem like he's ready for the season, Zherdev is afraid of his shadow, JVR is playing like he's back in College..etc etc. At least Boucher tried his best....shades of last year.

Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

We need Knuble back.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
hlrsr

Hi all.

Question, why did Timonen only play 13 minutes this game? Did he leave early or is he really sucking?

On that note, why doesn't he have any damn points this season?!

Signed,
A dude with Timonen in his pool

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Okay, here's my lines rant.

The Flyers started 12 forwards tonight. 7 of them I think are guys who can legitimately be in a top-6 (Carter, Richards, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux, JVR), 5 of them are 4th liners or worse (Zherdev, Betts, Shelley, Carcillo, Powe).

So right there, you obviously have a problem. Now, the easy way to solve the problem would be to stack the top-6 and then put the 4th line guys on the bottom.

The Flyers (Lavi and/or Holmgren) have eschewed this solution and decided to put 4th liners in our top-6. So we have Powe/Carcillo playing 12-15 minutes a night depending on who's with Richards and Zherdev getting 12 minutes a night and I'm sorry, but Zherdev has done NOTHING to show me that he is an NHL player.

Now, this may seem obvious, but I'll say it. Putting 4th line players with offensive weapons makes no ****ing sense. Do you see any other team in the NHL do this? Of course not, it's absolutely ****ing retarded.

What the Flyers have basically decided is that JVR-Carter and Richards-Giroux can create enough offense by themselves at ES that they need no contribution from the 3rd member of their lines. Considering that all of those guys have struggled, I'd say this philosophy is ****ing retarded.

Now going back to the 7+5 point. It's really important in today's NHL to have 25-40 point guys who can give you a solid 15 a night. Chicago had Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien last year, Detroit has Cleary/Helm/Eaves/Holmstrom, etc.

The Flyers have gotten rid of 3 of these guys in the past 18 months, Upshall, Knuble, and Asham. These guys make about 5.5 mill combined, the same as Zherdev and Carle.

They're immensely valuable because you can stick an Upshall or even an Asham or Knuble on a scoring line and those guys will help out. Sure, they won't lead the line, but they won't be anchors like Zherdev and Powe.

The Flyers have nobody like this on their roster and seeing as we seem determined to continue with this farcical 3 line madness, expect the scoring droughts to continue.

I don't blame JVR/Carter/Giroux/Richards one bit for their struggles, both present and future because at the NHL level, the defenders are simply too good.

You can't play 4 on 5 in the offensive zone and score tons of goals, it simply doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, the Flyers are living in the land of delusion.

Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, Tangradi, and another one of Cooke, Kennedy, or Talbot in their top 6...They seem to get along just fine with 6+ 4th liners in their top 6. So no excuse.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Hi all.

Question, why did Timonen only play 13 minutes this game? Did he leave early or is he really sucking?

On that note, why doesn't he have any damn points this season?!

Signed,
A dude with Timonen in his pool
Mesz + O'Donnell were out there every other shift. Very impressive, maybe its a wake up call for Kimmo and Pronger.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Timonen played 21:32...

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, Tangradi, and another one of Cooke, Kennedy, or Talbot in their top 6...They seem to get along just fine with 6+ 4th liners in their top 6. So no excuse.
They also have 2 of the best players in the world. We have nothing close to Crosby or Malkin.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Joking or serious?

Plus, the whole line thing does not apply to Crosby who is far, far better than anybody we have, not a knock on our guys, just the truth.

EDIT: But calling Kunitz, Dupuis, Tangradi, Cooke, and Kennedy 4th liners is just asinine.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
“The first 40 minutes, there was nothing there. There was no jam to our game. We played mindless hockey without any energy. Without any passion,” Peter Laviolette.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

yeah thats about right.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Timonen played 21:32...
Oops. Either way, no points! What's up with him this year?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Every game we lose I think the same thing. It doesn't FEEL like a normal loss. It doesn't FEEL like we got outplayed and then lost but gave it our all, because then it wouldn't make me wonder. Instead, it feels like lazy play with no chemistry. All the talent in the world is on this team and it seems to just come and go whenever it wants. Sure, teams lose sometimes, but the Flyers just have a special way of doing it. What the **** is going on with this team sometimes? Pick a style and stick to it and play, stop screwing around. This **** drives me nuts sometimes. What ****ing dude do I have to blow to get a consistent hockey team around here?

Whatever. Go Flyers.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
MsWoof

Imagine...if our GM hadn't ****ed up the cap....we would have Upshall, a 2nd, no Carcillo...Gagne would still be on the team so we wouldn't need Zherdev...imagine...

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I think it's time for a bag skate.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Oops. Either way, no points! What's up with him this year?
Ummm, have you watched any games? He's been amazing. Tons of ice time, blocking shots, he's never been one to put up a ton of points consistently.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Every game we lose I think the same thing. It doesn't FEEL like a normal loss. It doesn't FEEL like we got outplayed and then lost but gave it our all, because then it wouldn't make me wonder. Instead, it feels like lazy play with no chemistry. All the talent in the world is on this team and it seems to just come and go whenever it wants. Sure, teams lose sometimes, but the Flyers just have a special way of doing it. What the **** is going on with this team sometimes? Pick a style and stick to it and play, stop screwing around. This **** drives me nuts sometimes.

Whatever. Go Flyers.
If it continues....the core has to be shaken up since the mentality derives from the core...right now it's pretty rotten all around and it's been endemic for a number of years now despite last year's run....

Need more commitment from the likes of Carter and Richards especially based on the investment and intent to invest further...

Old
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Imagine...if our GM hadn't ****ed up the cap....we would have Upshall, a 2nd, no Carcillo...Gagne would still be on the team so we wouldn't need Zherdev...imagine...
Gagne has his mental issues during the course of a season especially when coming off an injury and isn't doing too great right now on Tampa BUT......at least he would compete and offered two way play even if his offense went dry. Zherdev...not sure what he offers other than being Bob and Bartulis' pal and Panotch's enemy...