HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

possibly a really silly question...

Old
10-23-2010, 05:47 AM
NJDwoot

vCash: 500
possibly a really silly question...

Sorry if this is a completely absurd question but..

The pros seem to rarely run into each other, their own teammates or oposing team, on accident.

In the beginner league I'll run into someone atleast once a game.. or get really close to it. so my question is - is there some kind of rule of thumb when turning and menuvering around the rink?

it generally is when I'm turning and they are turning we end up turning into each other... or one turns into the skating path of the other. Anyone else have this problem ?

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:43 AM
amurph182

I've been playing for two years now, so I'm still very much a beginner. I used to run into people all the time but as I've gained experience I've started to develop a pretty good sense for where people are on the ice and it doesn't happen nearly as much. I can keep my eye on the puck but also know where the other skaters are, as opposed to when I first started when the only thing I could see was what was three feet in front of me. Also, as my skating has improved it's easy to adjust your path very slightly and you just glide by someone rather than running into them.

amurph182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
blueberrydanish

It just mostly being in more control of yourself and more aware of your surroundings. A big thing is probably people just with their head down at times lookin for the puck and not looking up at whats around or ahead of them. Just one of those beginner things.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
noobman

When I first started I was always trying to go as fast as I could, all the time. As a result, I could never control the puck when I had it, and I rarely had control of myself (making for some collisions, or at least close ones). I turned the speed down just a little bit, and my game improved tremendously.

When you're a beginner playing with other beginners, collisions can happen. I'd guess that neither of you are really aware of what you're doing, and are probably scrambling out of positions. If everyone plays their position properly, two teammates should very rarely be close enough to collide.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Pog Form

If you're weaving with a teammate (i.e. swapping lanes), the person without the puck always goes behind.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post

The pros seem to rarely run into each other, their own teammates or oposing team, on accident.

In the beginner league I'll run into someone atleast once a game.. or get really close to it. so my question is - is there some kind of rule of thumb when turning and menuvering around the rink?

it generally is when I'm turning and they are turning we end up turning into each other... or one turns into the skating path of the other. Anyone else have this problem ?
As you progress upward through different leagues you will stop seeing so many people go for the puck and start playing their own positions. When 10 people go for a loose puck there is a greater chance to run into people. If the center goes for a loose puck in the center of the ice and his wings stay along the boards where they belong so the center can pass to them after he gets the puck, he won't run into them.
It's just a product of inexperience and it will gradually happen less and less as you and teammates gain experience.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:21 PM
ponder

As you get more experienced your head will be up way more, you'll be far more in control when skating, and the game will "go slower" for you in general. I haven't had this problem since I was about 10, but when you have a bunch of beginners on the ice together regular collisions are definitely gonna happen since nobody is particularly in control or aware of their surroundings.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:24 PM
bignastay*

Once you start playin more you'll learn where other skaters are at. Build chemistry and keep your head on a swivel.

bignastay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
As you progress upward through different leagues you will stop seeing so many people go for the puck and start playing their own positions. When 10 people go for a loose puck there is a greater chance to run into people. If the center goes for a loose puck in the center of the ice and his wings stay along the boards where they belong so the center can pass to them after he gets the puck, he won't run into them.
It's just a product of inexperience and it will gradually happen less and less as you and teammates gain experience.
This is a big part of it. Inexperienced players think they always have to go for the puck. Becomes one big cluster**** and players skating into each other. Not the only reason of course, but one of the many.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
This is a big part of it. Inexperienced players think they always have to go for the puck. Becomes one big cluster**** and players skating into each other. Not the only reason of course, but one of the many.
That was my first thought.

Once you develop more you'll get down the positioning of getting open and how to play. You'll also develop your peripheral vision so that you can avoid people without specifically looking at them.

Also, OP, there's no such thing as a silly question here. That's why HFBoards has this forum.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:05 PM
EmptyNetter

I agree with all that's been said, but for awhile my biggest problem was in colliding with my own team mates -- two guys going for a loose puck and not calling for it. Peripheral vision is a necessity but even when you see a guy going to the same place you're heading one has to know to peel off while the other gets the puck. One guy has to call for it and the other guy has to listen. Or one guy has to defer to the puck hog.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:43 PM
NJDwoot

Lol well while I was typing it I was thinking how silly this may sound. I feel I'm decent with positioning for being so new.... It's those times were two of us are there and like "oh puck came loose-go for it" and bam and then I laugh. Thanks for the replies.

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
PDX Coyotes

I'm playing in the game against you guys on Nov 23rd... I apologize in advance for running into you... repeatedly.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
j cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
When I first started I was always trying to go as fast as I could, all the time. As a result, I could never control the puck when I had it, and I rarely had control of myself (making for some collisions, or at least close ones). I turned the speed down just a little bit, and my game improved tremendously.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

j cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They know where to be on the ice, and they spread out much better because they cover zones rather than chasing the puck. And they communicate.

Last night in my game we had a sub come up from a lower level. I'm rushing the puck up ice, move around a couple guys, start to drive into the zone, and he skates in front of me at the blue line for me to put him down and go offsides. Not the first time that's happened at all. I have no idea why you would want to occupy the exact same space as your teammate rather than go to the open ice for a pass or rebound.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I have the same problem as a beginner. Part of the problem is my turns are a little wider and often I'm a split-second later in reacting, so I end up coasting into the space that someone else wants to be in. Still working on playing the game in straight lines.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:30 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post

I'm in my 3rd year of playing hockey an I started well into my 40s. the thing that helped me most was any chance I had I would stand on one foot and keep my head up focused on something in front of me while I try to stick handle a (ball if I was in my garage) or (puck on the ice) using peripheral vision. (don't forget to switch feet once in a while). I'm still not good at it but I have not had a full on head down hit with anyone in more than a year. I also play with some very good players who help me along and stay safe.

Look on the net there are a bunch of sites with drills for noobies that will help you evolve faster. and remember if you are playing with newbies you will have to play safe for two, or 10.

Have a great time and stick with it.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:36 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Noobman Shinny

Quote:

When you're a beginner playing with other beginners, collisions can happen. I'd guess that neither of you are really aware of what you're doing, and are probably scrambling out of positions. If everyone plays their position properly, two teammates should very rarely be close enough to collide.
Hey Noobman, Shinny in Stouffville 11:00 AM to 1:00 Pm afternoon Tuesday. You in? Great bunch of guys. We need Goalies if you know anyone.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:38 PM
duul

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Hey Noobman, Shinny in Stouffville 11:00 AM to 1:00 Pm afternoon Tuesday. You in? Great bunch of guys. We need Goalies if you know anyone.
Is this just pick up? I'm coming back for a year of high school, and it's right next to the new rink. Me and a couple buddies might come by if it is, we play Juvenile in town.

duul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
biturbo19

I'd say most of those collision problems are probably due to a a few main issues:

a)Positioning. Understanding your position and where you should generally be on the ice in any given situation will help a lot. As you and everyone around you gets more familiar with positioning, the collisions will become far less common. you'll find there isn't often any real reason to be in the same place as another teammate at the same time, and in knowing where players in other positions are likely to be will help you as well.

b)Vision. Learning to keep your head up makes a huge difference. And more than that, learning to take in the whole game around you, rather than just focusing in on the puck, or the player with the puck, etc. Once you start thinking about where everyone is on the ice, not only will you collide far less often by accident, you'll be a much better player as well. It can take time to get there though. But be heedful of what's going on around you to the best of your ability, and keep trying to expand that. A solid understanding of issue (a) above, (position) will help you make much quicker reads as well.

c)Precision and technical abilities. As you mentioned, the more you are able to manouevre around the ice with precision and quickness, the easier it will be to not only avoid a collision, but to avoid putting yourself into situations where you've potentially strayed from where you should be because you couldn't turn tight enough for example.

d)Communication. When all else fails, a simple 'heads up' can make a big difference. And beyond that, communication is a valuable tool on the ice for a lot of other reasons. It's great in helping make your intentions clear to other players, helping other players out when you see things that they may not, warning of dangerous situations, etc. I'm sure you've noticed that there's usually a LOT more chatter on the ice, hootin' 'n hollerin' about all kinds of stuff when you watch a Pro game. they're not just yelling out random stuff for fun. I know it can be tough though to pipe up and yell something on the ice when you're not yet confident in your own abilities or what you're doing out there, but any little bit helps...and like most other things, it'll come with time and experience.

but collisions are pretty much a fact of life for beginners. i mean, you see an absurd number of collisions just watching a bunch of little kids puttering around in a Novice game or whatever...and it's not as though they're generally travelling at particularly high speeds or take up a lot of space on the ice or anything. it's just a consequence of players still learning the fundamentals of the game.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:55 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Is this just pick up? I'm coming back for a year of high school, and it's right next to the new rink. Me and a couple buddies might come by if it is, we play Juvenile in town.
Yeah it's just pickup, there are some ex Junior B, and A players coming out and it is at the Rink behind the HS off of Hover park. Most of us know each other and it's real laid back (Good hockey until I get the puck but) but there are some good rivalries.

Come on out and bring a goalie or two. it's 6 bucks CAD.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:48 AM
noobman

Quote:
Bah, I have early classes on Tuesday. Maybe in January...

...and no, I'm actually looking for some goalies to play in my Sat. night hockey!

Old
10-26-2010, 12:56 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Bah, I have early classes on Tuesday. Maybe in January...

...and no, I'm actually looking for some goalies to play in my Sat. night hockey!
I have a friend who might be interested in Sat night. I'll email him, then PM you to let you know.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
You didn't make it, it was a good game today. it's on Fri too but a few of us won't be there.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
noobman

Quote:
I have a friend who might be interested in Sat night. I'll email him, then PM you to let you know.
Awesome, thanks bud! It's 6:15 to 7:15 in Scarborough.

Oh and PM me the details for the Tuesday hockey, I should be free for it around December-ish.