HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do we go after this off-season?

Old
10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Here is what I would like to see this upcoming off-season(although it is too far away to really say anything):

Let go:
Frolov
Eminger
Gilroy
White
Fedotenko

Re-sign:
Dubinsky(4 years @ 3.2 million/year)
Callahan(4 years @ 3 million/season)
Boyle(2 years @ .9 million/season)
Anisimov(2 years @ 2.0 million/season)
Sauer(2 years @ .8 million/season)

Sign:
Backes(5 years @ 4.5 million/season NMC)
Pitkanen(5 years @ 4.5 million/season LNTC)

Trade:
To Dallas:
Rozsival

To NYR:
DAL 2nd '11 + DAL 3rd '11 + DAL 3rd '12

To CLB:
Christensen

To NYR:
CLB 3rd '11

Call-up:
McDonagh
Valentenko
MZA
Weise

Line-up:
Backes-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Drury-MZA
Prust-Boyle-Boogaard
Weise

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-McDonagh
Sauer-Valentenko
(random 7th-.8 million)

Hank
Biron

Cap total: 60.925

And that is with 2 extra players on the roster.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
hasanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
And to answer your absurdity, I'll give a name not many people are talking about: Joni Pitkanen. Love this guy. He's a FANTASTIC player, a top defenseman in this league in my opinion. His vision is impeccable, his hockey smarts are up there with the best, and he gives us that PMD we need on our first pair, WITHOUT being a wreck in his own zone. I say if he gets to UFA, the Rangers need get an offer to him, PRONTO. He gives us a player we haven't had since Leetch. And, yeah, I know we have MDZ, but we need more than just ONE PMD. We have Roszival on our first powerplay unit. That's a problem right there. And to go with all of this, Joni is at the tender age of 26. He has many 50-60 point seasons ahead of him.
Pitkänen is lazy defensively and a cancer in the locker room. Stay away from him!

hasanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Here is what I would like to see this upcoming off-season(although it is too far away to really say anything):

Let go:
Frolov
Eminger
Gilroy
White
Fedotenko

Re-sign:
Dubinsky(4 years @ 3.2 million/year)
Callahan(4 years @ 3 million/season)
Boyle(2 years @ .9 million/season)
Anisimov(2 years @ 2.0 million/season)
Sauer(2 years @ .8 million/season)

Sign:
Backes(5 years @ 4.5 million/season NMC)
Pitkanen(5 years @ 4.5 million/season LNTC)

Trade:
To Dallas:
Rozsival

To NYR:
DAL 2nd '11 + DAL 3rd '11 + DAL 3rd '12

To CLB:
Christensen

To NYR:
CLB 3rd '11

Call-up:
McDonagh
Valentenko
MZA
Weise

Line-up:
Backes-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Drury-MZA
Prust-Boyle-Boogaard
Weise

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-McDonagh
Sauer-Valentenko
(random 7th-.8 million)

Hank
Biron

Cap total: 60.925

And that is with 2 extra players on the roster.

I like the Backes idea but doubt he'll be available. That left wing slot is gonna be tricky until we can develop a prospect for it(Dubi is good for the other one).

I do not agree with the Pitkanen idea though - he pretty much would be Rozsival again and honestly we have MDZ and Staal so we really don't need another LD once VTank is ready. Let VTank and Sauer hold down the third pair...what we would need is an offensive RD to go ahead of Girdardi/Sauer. Those are hard to find and honestly we might be better off keeping Rozi.

Oh and I don't think we are getting those picks in return

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Zach Parise

I believe Zach Parise should be a prime target for the Rangers future. I would take him over 90% of the NHL and although I once believed he'd never hit the market, I now believe he will seek free agency.

Yes fallout form the Kovy situation but that's just part of the game. You can't spoon feed your core homegrown players the kool aid and than go out and give the lion share of your cap to an outsider UFA with no rings.

Parise will be a prized UFA. Why give the Devils a home team discount just so they can hand it over to Kovalchuk?

I think many GM's would take Parise over Kovalchuk given the choice but the Devils have essentially taken themselves off that list.

10-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Except Parise is an RFA next year?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:33 AM
John Torturella

Haha he will be a Ranger when he is 36 and on his way to retirement.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Parise is my favorite player not on the rangers

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

First of all, the Devils would be stupid not to lock him up long-term as an RFA.

Second of all, if they were indeed planning on going in another direction, he would be traded long before he was allowed to leave via free agency.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
Parise is my favorite player not on the rangers
I wouldnt go that far but i really like the guy. If he does, for some reason become available in the off-season (unlikely RFA) i would be against resigning frolov and throw cash at this guy. Gotta be the right price dont wanna see some crazy 10 year deal.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:38 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Overpaying the wrong players, breaking up the spoon fed core, Brodeur at the back end of the career.

Zach could easily see the best career choice being a fresh start. 50/50?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
First of all, the Devils would be stupid not to lock him up long-term as an RFA.

Second of all, if they were indeed planning on going in another direction, he would be traded long before he was allowed to leave via free agency.
Who says the Devils get a say? They own his rights for a set amount of time and then the guy is FREE. They can't make him sign long term if he doesnt want to. Gaborik is a Ranger. Minnesota tried everything to get him to stay, they even fired their coach and GM....

Sometimes players just want to move on

Old
10-26-2010, 12:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Who says the Devils get a say? They own his rights for a set amount of time and then the guy is FREE. They can't make him sign long term if he doesnt want to. Gaborik is a Ranger. Minnesota tried everything to get him to stay, they even fired their coach and GM....

Sometimes players just want to move on
Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Volchenkov, Corrente, Tedenby, Josefson, Urbom, Clarkson...

Not such a bad place to start over from in 2-3 years when Brodeur, Elias, Rolston, Langenbrunner, White and everyone else is gone. Don't see why Parise would want to leave that team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I believe Zach Parise should be a prime target for the Rangers future. I would take him over 90% of the NHL and although I once believed he'd never hit the market, I now believe he will seek free agency.

Yes fallout form the Kovy situation but that's just part of the game. You can't spoon feed your core homegrown players the kool aid and than go out and give the lion share of your cap to an outsider UFA with no rings.

Parise will be a prized UFA. Why give the Devils a home team discount just so they can hand it over to Kovalchuk?

I think many GM's would take Parise over Kovalchuk given the choice but the Devils have essentially taken themselves off that list.
Nah, even though hes a top 10 player I'd only take him over 75% of the NHL.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:59 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
In b4 devils fans come crying that parise is a devil for life.

I dont think parise wants to sign elsewhere, but i also think its not exactly easy to get him re-signed either.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
I don't want to start anything coming in here but Holik and Gomez... nuf said

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:08 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

So are we talking the 2014 or 2015 that we're targeting here?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-26-2010 at 01:14 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
I don't want to start anything coming in here but Holik and Gomez... nuf said
And John Maclean and Bruce Driver.

I love Parise, was my NYR pick going into '03 draft. Devs would be crazy to not lock him up. Seems like they are having problems over there keeping the budget in check, having a solid coach in place, and the rest of the league has caught on to finding those cheap FA gems like Devs did with Rafalski.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:33 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
he also said hes open to negotiations during the season...but in all reality the devils basically crippled themselves with the kovalchuk contract...whats gonna happen when zajoke also becomes a restricted free agent?? hes definitely going to take them to arbitration, get a big settlement, thus financially hurting the devils more if he doesnt go to another team. factor the volchenkov contracts and so on. u already know NHL teams are already lining up drooling with inflated offer sheets for this guy...the devils will match, keep him for a year, then i think he will go somewhere else. numerous devils fans even said that hes most likely gonna go. to me, this isnt the devils of old, where the players take home team discounts to play...look at rafalski and martin...they jumped ship. i would have too. and with post marty syndrom (the devils version of PMS) on its way...the new arena, and living next to a garbage dump arent exactly "destinations"

this is random but i was looking at teams' videos of locker rooms and team lounges, and judging by the amenities that teams have nowadays...it really shows why players go to some of these teams. cuz at the end of the day its all work. compare the maple leaf gardens old locker rooms that are worse than the current locker rooms i dress in now in my beer league, to one like the oilers where they have freaking bikes in the hot tub and leather couches. that may be alittle off topic but what i am getting at is the fact that there really is no reason for this young and talented guy to want to stay in jersey and i dont think he is with even a few factors like this. i gotta say tho, zach does have a nice black, shiny audi S5 (wouldnt wanna park that in newark for practice)

Last edited by GregNYR19: 10-26-2010 at 01:42 AM.
GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:40 AM
McMonster

I don't want anything to do with the NJ Devils' free agents... Not to take anything away from Parise, but just because a player thrives in Jersey doesn't mean he'll be as good if he plays on another team.

We got suckered into this trap enough times already.

Last edited by McMonster: 10-26-2010 at 01:46 AM.
McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Captain Monglobster

Parise is the only Devil I've ever watched that I didn't hate. It was a joy to actually be able to root for him in the Olympics. One of my favorite players for sure.

If he ever hit the market, I'd give him Drury money

........Seriously though

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
HockeyBurd*

It's nice to dream.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:35 AM
BobSantos

Thought he looked like dooky the other night.

In other words I wouldn't get all spendy with the guy.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:40 AM
FOXHOUND*

Unless he's a free agent we ain't signing him. We know how sather feels about offer sheets.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
he also said hes open to negotiations during the season...but in all reality the devils basically crippled themselves with the kovalchuk contract...
Gabby said all the right things too. He is under contract to be a Devil and he has to be part of a team, put his best out on the ice each night. But lets be honest so far Kovalchuk has been a neg on the Devils and on Parise.

The Devils just gave Kovalchuk so much freaking money after playing 1/4 of a season as a Devil.

100+mill lifetime contract. Is Parise not worth, at the very least, the same money?

I think Kovy got overpaid, but thats debatable. Whats not debatable is that many players like to find out what the market thinks they are worth.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post

this is random but i was looking at teams' videos of locker rooms and team lounges, and judging by the amenities that teams have nowadays...it really shows why players go to some of these teams. cuz at the end of the day its all work. compare the maple leaf gardens old locker rooms that are worse than the current locker rooms i dress in now in my beer league, to one like the oilers where they have freaking bikes in the hot tub and leather couches. that may be alittle off topic but what i am getting at is the fact that there really is no reason for this young and talented guy to want to stay in jersey and i dont think he is with even a few factors like this. i gotta say tho, zach does have a nice black, shiny audi S5 (wouldnt wanna park that in newark for practice)

You are right that these guys sign on to teams to go to work. The clubs with the better facilities do get a 2nd look imo. The Rangers have a very sweet DVD they send to their targeted UFAs that pitches the Franchise + modern facilities, percs.

How many times have we heard players gush over the Rangers "doing things right' when it comes to taking care of their players?