HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#8: Flyers @ Blue Jackets - Monday, Oct. 25, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Hi all.

Question, why did Timonen only play 13 minutes this game? Did he leave early or is he really sucking?

On that note, why doesn't he have any damn points this season?!

Signed,
A dude with Timonen in his pool
Kimmo has been brilliant. He's not scoring but he's getting chances and spending a lot of time preventing goals against.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Oops. Either way, no points! What's up with him this year?
he's doing great. nobody else is.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Amateur Hour

Whatever. That was the eighth game of the season... the apocalypse is not upon us. Not yet.

One thing is for certain, though... Laviolette needs to find line combinations that work and stick with them.

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Nodl
Shelley

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Whatever. That was the eighth game of the season... the apocalypse is not upon us. Not yet.

One thing is for certain, though... Laviolette needs to find line combinations that work and stick with them.

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Nodl
Shelley
I would def try those. Gonna be interesting to see what he throws together tomorrow night. I would put the lines from the Toronto game back together.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Ummm, have you watched any games? He's been amazing. Tons of ice time, blocking shots, he's never been one to put up a ton of points consistently.
No, I haven't. I'm a Canucks fan with Timonen in my pool, wondering why he's the only guy without any points.

He's been a good producer over the years (though declining) but surely 0 points in 7 games is weak for him?

edit: ah ok, if he's playing well then I assume the points will come eventually. Thanks!

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Joking or serious?

Plus, the whole line thing does not apply to Crosby who is far, far better than anybody we have, not a knock on our guys, just the truth.

EDIT: But calling Kunitz, Dupuis, Tangradi, Cooke, and Kennedy 4th liners is just asinine.

I have to watch like every Pens game on FSN pittsburgh cause of wher I live to keep me entertained by hockey on TV. I know their team probably just as well as I kow ours. After watching most of their games last season and most of them so far this season and talking to Pens fans regularly about hockey those guys I've names above are really no better then a Zherdev, Carcillo or Powe. Dupuis can barely ****ing score anything and his hands aren't great at all. Not top 6 material, not even close. He's just fast and works hard. Pens fans ***** about Kunitz being the most overpaid forward on their team who doesn't contribute enough to the offense. His physical play is his saving grace but really he's just as inconsistent as Asham was. Kennedy was suckin for a good while last year but he's doing better so far this season. But he has been demoted to the 4th line for a few games. Same with Talbot. Most Pens fans haven't been happy with him since their SCF run. And Cooke is just Cooke. He plays physical but he misses some ridiculous wide open nets. He's not a top 6 guy either. And Comrie...well they ****ing want his ass gone already so...

Doesn't matter that they have Crosby and Malkin. Two guys don't ****ing run an entire team. Their supporting cast is pretty subpar but they all do enough to keep the team pretty damn good. About 75% of our supporting cast is better then theirs but nobody is stepping. Powe and Zherdev on the top lines doesn't mean dick. Nobody i playing with any heart except one line. That's what the problem is. That's always been the problem.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Gagne has his mental issues during the course of a season especially when coming off an injury and isn't doing too great right now on Tampa BUT......at least he would compete and offered two way play even if his offense went dry. Zherdev...not sure what he offers other than being Bob and Bartulis' pal and Panotch's enemy...
TBH, I don't think Gagne is over getting traded and liking the spot in Tampa.

Just my take on things, whenever I've seen him after whistles/outside of games he looks like there's something missing from when he was here.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:06 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i've not heard you, or anybody else, have much good to say about gamecenter. i will not be getting it.
I watched the Flyers vs. Leafs games with a friend on her lap top and she was able to have 3 games going at once on gamecenter (not the Flyers one because it was on VS.) and it was pretty good, but she is living in a dorm and the dorms have an awesome internet connection.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
BroadStreetTyrant

Quote:
Gagne has his mental issues during the course of a season especially when coming off an injury and isn't doing too great right now on Tampa BUT......at least he would compete and offered two way play even if his offense went dry. Zherdev...not sure what he offers other than being Bob and Bartulis' pal and Panotch's enemy...
Works both ways..maybe Richie and Carter are a little bummed too (that Gags is gone).

BroadStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
chaosof99*

I had to leave after the 1st period, but I followed the Boxscore on my iPhone. From the look of it, it seemed like another game that was very much winnable, but they couldn't because of their inexplicable inability to put the puck in the net. Taking 3 minors in the third probably also didn't help. And what did Hartnell do to earn the misconduct at the end of the game?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetTyrant View Post
Works both ways..maybe Richie and Carter are a little bummed too (that Gags is gone).
Maybe so but what is Lavy the Romper Room teacher? If these guys are still growing up and can't get over their buddies being traded like with Upshall and Lupul then I question their mental fortitude. I'm not too concerned about Richards b/c he usually comes around but if for some reason he's tuning out already whether it's Lavy or Pronger or whoever well its going to be a long season. As far as Carter he must be nursing an injury b/c he's getting maintenance days off. If it's his "two broken feet" still well that is not good and will be a broken record b/c his speed in backing the D off coming through the neutral zone is what makes him effective. When he doesn't have that he is one dimensional as one scout noted by saying he thought Stevens overrated him and that he has to play "up on his skates" to be most effective..

Still early with everybody including Zherdev but they can't fall too behind otherwise we'll have to hope for a miracle the end of the season and teams like Wash falling out early in the playoffs if the Flyers make it. To be honest I didn't expect much this season after the offseason moves..I figured they might play mediocre b/c the offensive cast was unpredictable...too many "unknowns" and not enough proven commodities...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I had to leave after the 1st period, but I followed the Boxscore on my iPhone. From the look of it, it seemed like another game that was very much winnable, but they couldn't because of their inexplicable inability to put the puck in the net. Taking 3 minors in the third probably also didn't help. And what did Hartnell do to earn the misconduct at the end of the game?
They didn't play 60 minutes and were going through the motions as Lavy said. It's just that now they don't repeat that line about having to play 60 minutes which was the norm after every game last year. They were probably told not to say it anymore b/c I haven't heard it...they tip toe around it.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I feel that Pronger is immensely more talented than Kimmo but Kimmo has sucked far fewer times in his career.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:16 AM
BroadStreetTyrant

Quote:
Maybe so but what is Lavy the Romper Room teacher? If these guys are still growing up and can't get over their buddies being traded like with Upshall and Lupul then I question their mental fortitude. I'm not too concerned about Richards b/c he usually comes around but if for some reason he's tuning out already whether it's Lavy or Pronger or whoever well its going to be a long season. As far as Carter he must be nursing an injury b/c he's getting maintenance days off. If it's his "two broken feet" still well that is not good and will be a broken record b/c his speed in backing the D off coming through the neutral zone is what makes him effective. When he doesn't have that he is one dimensional as one scout noted by saying he thought Stevens overrated him and that he has to play "up on his skates" to be most effective..

Still early with everybody including Zherdev but they can't fall too behind otherwise we'll have to hope for a miracle the end of the season and teams like Wash falling out early in the playoffs if the Flyers make it. To be honest I didn't expect much this season after the offseason moves..I figured they might play mediocre b/c the offensive cast was unpredictable...too many "unknowns" and not enough proven commodities...
Oh yeah, I agree 100%. I was coming back on whoever said gagne was bummed out after leaving. I don't think thats a reason at all. And obviously you're bang on with the offensive cast being unpredictable. Frustrating...the least.

BroadStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I am really, really begininng to hate many guys on this hockey club. starting with Zherdev.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:39 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Just got back from Columbus (to Huntington, WV), got seats at the top of the arena for 10 bucks as a walk-up at 5pm. If i waited til 6, I could have gotten them in the lower bowl for $25 with my student I.D. It was a pretty nice arena, well set up, but as you could probably see on TV, empty. Plus i didn't hear an unkind word all game from an opposing fan...probably because 30-40% of the crowd was Flyers fans.

As for the game, we looked pretty disinterested. Carter still sucks on breakaways, Zherdev became a punchline by the 2nd period, so did Shelley. Columbus looked energetic and raced to loose pucks, whereas the Flyers just kinda milled around not knowing what was going on. And Briere pissed me off, playing like his old undisciplined self, I was hoping he had turned a corner. No Carcillo-Dorsett rematch also disappointed me, but another punchline that arose was how incredibly fast the linesmen were rushing in to prevent anything from happening.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Just got back from Columbus (to Huntington, WV), got seats at the top of the arena for 10 bucks as a walk-up at 5pm. If i waited til 6, I could have gotten them in the lower bowl for $25 with my student I.D. It was a pretty nice arena, well set up, but as you could probably see on TV, empty. Plus i didn't hear an unkind word all game from an opposing fan...probably because 30-40% of the crowd was Flyers fans.

As for the game, we looked pretty disinterested. Carter still sucks on breakaways, Zherdev became a punchline by the 2nd period, so did Shelley. Columbus looked energetic and raced to loose pucks, whereas the Flyers just kinda milled around not knowing what was going on. And Briere pissed me off, playing like his old undisciplined self, I was hoping he had turned a corner. No Carcillo-Dorsett rematch also disappointed me, but another punchline that arose was how incredibly fast the linesmen were rushing in to prevent anything from happening.
im not going to get on Briere too much. How many wins would we have if it wasnt for him? 1?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Slowbro

bummed that gagne is gone? this guys are professionals and if they are playing poorly because they are sad someone got traded, then i am sorry, they should be benched.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I have to watch like every Pens game on FSN pittsburgh cause of wher I live to keep me entertained by hockey on TV. I know their team probably just as well as I kow ours. After watching most of their games last season and most of them so far this season and talking to Pens fans regularly about hockey those guys I've names above are really no better then a Zherdev, Carcillo or Powe. Dupuis can barely ****ing score anything and his hands aren't great at all. Not top 6 material, not even close. He's just fast and works hard. Pens fans ***** about Kunitz being the most overpaid forward on their team who doesn't contribute enough to the offense. His physical play is his saving grace but really he's just as inconsistent as Asham was. Kennedy was suckin for a good while last year but he's doing better so far this season. But he has been demoted to the 4th line for a few games. Same with Talbot. Most Pens fans haven't been happy with him since their SCF run. And Cooke is just Cooke. He plays physical but he misses some ridiculous wide open nets. He's not a top 6 guy either. And Comrie...well they ****ing want his ass gone already so...

Doesn't matter that they have Crosby and Malkin. Two guys don't ****ing run an entire team. Their supporting cast is pretty subpar but they all do enough to keep the team pretty damn good. About 75% of our supporting cast is better then theirs but nobody is stepping. Powe and Zherdev on the top lines doesn't mean dick. Nobody i playing with any heart except one line. That's what the problem is. That's always been the problem.
Yeah, since when are Pens fans a fount of hockey knowledge?

Kunitz had 18 in 20 his first year in Pittsburgh, 32 in 50 playing hurt last year, he's a solid 50 point guy and he showed that in Anaheim.

Dupuis was a consistent 25 point guy before he got to Pitt, sure his totals went up a bit last year, but he's a decent 3rd liner.

I'd take Asham back in a millisecond for this team, not sure why he's being bashed, he's a solid 3rd liner.

Cooke is another one who's a very, very good 3rd liner.

And Kennedy is fine, probably a 40 point player in this league.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:58 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Flyhigh suggested JVR on the RW, and I think I would like to try that

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Kaktus*

Lazy, just a very lazy team.

Briere with 2 legit lazy penalties, Powe with one. I know he had two but it was actually one.

Lavi better do something. This looks a lot like John Stevens team.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:22 AM
jb**

Another inspiring effort from richie and the boys. Really sad that the 2 core players refuse to show any urgency during the regular season. I bet they are hurt When only 3 guys show up offensively every game you wont win.

Same issues as last year, even with a much better coach. Really tellign isnt it.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:27 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

I am kind of shocked at anyone who thinks Richards and Carter are having issues because Gagne is gone. I think that's nonsense.

As for Carter, I didn't know he was still getting maintenance days. They did say he took a shot off his foot in pre-season and he was getting days off then, but is he still getting them now?

I thought the Richards line was really forcing the play last night at times but with linemates like Carcillo, Powe, an invisible JvR and Zherdev, it's no wonder they aren't doing much. I think the top guys are pressing too much to make up for the lack of talent they're stuck with. Last year, Richards spent a ton of time trying to set Gagne up to get him going after he returned from his injury and he doesn't play well when that happens.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Same issues as last year, even with a much better coach. Really tellign isnt it.
Only to those who didn't want to see reality last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Lavi better do something. This looks a lot like John Stevens team.
"I really want to see this team after a training camp with Laviolette."

Oh wait...

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:47 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Flyhigh suggested JVR on the RW, and I think I would like to try that
JVR at center!
Shelley on D!
Pronger in goal!

Seriously though, it's not a matter of switching guys around on the ice. They still have to want it, and right now the effort is what's lacking.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote