HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cheap but good composite?

Old
10-25-2010, 11:29 PM
djcreepshow

vCash: 500
Cheap but good composite?

Hey all. This was kind of asked in another thread but my question is a bit more specific. I play ball hockey (indoors on a smooth gym floor) and have always used wood or wood/fibreglass sticks. I've been happy with them but am curious about trying out a composite stick just out of curiosity, hence the cheap price tag.

So here is what I'm looking for:

-Price no more than about $60 or so.

-Something with very little curve, almost a straight blade with a bit of heel curve to it. I can't get a good, low shot with a blade that has too much curve to it and most sticks I've seen have too much for my liking.

-Something durable, especially the bottom of the blade. I don't want one that will get chewed up too quickly and I don't like tape on the blade for floor hockey.

Also, I'm not interested in a wood stick with an ABS blade or a combo shaft and blade. Just ideas for a good, inexpensive, one-piece composite stick with very little curve. There are a lot of guys with a lot of great knowledge on here so I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks everyone and have a great Halloween!

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
You may as well stick with wood. 60 bucks won't buy much unless you find NOS sticks that some place like hockey monkey is trying to ditch.

Heck I'll give you my hundred dollar stick I got from sports check I think it's called a Bauer Vapor Sniper. For 20 bucks or so you can get a easton z carbon. That is a good stick just heavy compared to any of my 300.00 sticks.

For me composite is about being light. and if I'm playing outside with my kid I use an ABS stick
Good luck.
good luck.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:48 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
You may as well stick with wood. 60 bucks won't buy much unless you find NOS sticks that some place like hockey monkey is trying to ditch.
I agree but for different reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
For me composite is about being light.
For me it's about flex and:
1) Cheap composites are mostly fiberglass, and I do not like the way they bend.
2) I don't even utilize the flex when I play ball hockey so woodies work just fine.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Placebo Effect

Yeah, at $60 stick with wood. If you're willing to go up to $100 then the X:40 is a good stick at that price.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:09 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Sherwood 5030 composite if you're willing to go to $80 is a good stick.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:29 AM
ponder

For everyone saying $60 composites suck and $100 composites are quite a bit better, I agree FOR ICE HOCKEY, but remember that the OP is playing ball hockey. You're not getting much flex anyways shooting a light ball, "puck feel" isn't much of an issue with a ball, etc. I personally just have an all wood stick (Sherwood 5030) and a wood/ABS (some ridiculously heavy CCM) that I use for ball hockey, but all that you're really gonna notice for ball hockey is the weight of the stick and the curve, if you want a composite for ball hockey may as well go super cheap, I just don't think you'll notice the finer points of a stick much at all with a ball.

There is no such thing as a composite blade that is durable on rough asphalt, but on a smooth gym floor I'd think any blade should hold up decently, if anything the cheap composites tend to be more durable than the expensive ones (expensive sticks have thin walls to save on weight). I see you're from Halifax, I know Sport Check often has bottom of the line Bauers and Eastons for around $40-$50, would work fine for ball hockey in a gym IMO. If you were from Vancouver I'd just give you my crappy old Sherwood RM8 that I can't stand using on ice!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:30 AM
glasgow26

I recently bought an Easton Synergy SE6 for 65 bucks online. it's nothing too fancy, but it's a very good starter level composite stick for the price. i'm loving it so far.

glasgow26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For ball hockey get a cheap Easton Octane/S5 shaft with the Easton ABS blade, should last a long time. Was actually my first ice rig when I had no clue what I was buying. Even better, find a used cheap shaft in your flex and stick the ABS blade in it. Those are light and very durable for ball hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Sherwood 5030 composite if you're willing to go to $80 is a good stick.
Sorry, not trying to hijack, but I've been interested in the 5030 composite for a while. How does it hold up?

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

And to make up for my off topic-ness, I'd recommened looking into used gear. If you're willing to go two piece, you can usually pick up some great used gear for really cheap. My friend once got a Vapor XXXX shaft for $20 bucks. $30-$40 dollar blade and you have one heck of a $60 dollar stick there!

Look up some used sporting gear stores near you and go take a look around

Old
10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Sorry, not trying to hijack, but I've been interested in the 5030 composite for a while. How does it hold up?
Love it. Held up very well playing 2x in winter and 3x in summer. The "wood" decal is noticable as it chips off from the usual stick contact, but otherwise durable. Got mine when they first come out and still use it off & on.

I'd love to get a intermediate version (haven't seen one locally) since I now prefer the lower flexes.

Old
10-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Love it. Held up very well playing 2x in winter and 3x in summer. The "wood" decal is noticable as it chips off from the usual stick contact, but otherwise durable. Got mine when they first come out and still use it off & on.

I'd love to get a intermediate version (haven't seen one locally) since I now prefer the lower flexes.
Thanks for the info! I was messing around with one at my local shop and liked the feel and looks of it, just wanted to see if it was as durable as it felt

Old
10-27-2010, 03:46 PM
AIREAYE

One thing about most OPS blades is that they're clear-coated and some even are textured. This coating will seriously impede your shots as the ball will have a strong 'grip' on the blade and the blade will just roll over the ball. The One95 blade for one has a matte finish and won't grip as much...but why would you spend that money anyways?

Reebok's new 4K stick has an ABS cored blade which will provide great durability, but its a composite stick.

However like I say to all posters like you, save the $$ and invest in a pair of light breathable gloves or shoes.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Thanks for the info! I was messing around with one at my local shop and liked the feel and looks of it, just wanted to see if it was as durable as it felt
Yeah, I've had zero complaints about mine. I like it better than my Sherwood RM9.

Old
10-30-2010, 03:40 PM
IDuck

so didnt want to start a new thread and thought this kind of fit in here but...

anyone have insight on last years model of the reebok 5k sick kick? it has the snake grip...i have used a reebok stick before and i liked it but switched to warrior and have been using those ever since...i found a good deal on one ($70) but dont want to buy it if its not worth it. I would just wait and get another dolo when i need another stick but this one is sitting there and if its worth it i want to get it....thanks for any help

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:51 PM
dannythekid

I use an Easton composite two piece with an ABS blade for ball hockey. It's flexible for a light hockey ball and heavy enough that you can feel the ball on the end. I like it alot. Plus when you start playing against D league ball hockey hackers, you don't worry about broken blades.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eh, I would skip it and pick up another Dolomite. If you can find the old 7k's (the red, black, and white ones), those are a good deal for $100. Used to be high end sticks. Those 5k's aren't bad but not great unless it's under $50 IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:15 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Check out clearance sections on all the online retailers... or better yet check out Daily Hockey Deal website . A lot of good suggestions here already though.

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:22 PM
IDuck

right on...thanks for the info i will pass on it then

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:28 AM
djcreepshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
For everyone saying $60 composites suck and $100 composites are quite a bit better, I agree FOR ICE HOCKEY, but remember that the OP is playing ball hockey. You're not getting much flex anyways shooting a light ball, "puck feel" isn't much of an issue with a ball, etc. I personally just have an all wood stick (Sherwood 5030) and a wood/ABS (some ridiculously heavy CCM) that I use for ball hockey, but all that you're really gonna notice for ball hockey is the weight of the stick and the curve, if you want a composite for ball hockey may as well go super cheap, I just don't think you'll notice the finer points of a stick much at all with a ball.

There is no such thing as a composite blade that is durable on rough asphalt, but on a smooth gym floor I'd think any blade should hold up decently, if anything the cheap composites tend to be more durable than the expensive ones (expensive sticks have thin walls to save on weight). I see you're from Halifax, I know Sport Check often has bottom of the line Bauers and Eastons for around $40-$50, would work fine for ball hockey in a gym IMO. If you were from Vancouver I'd just give you my crappy old Sherwood RM8 that I can't stand using on ice!
I've been looking online at the sticks at Sport Chek and Hockey Life and I'm going to check them out tomorrow. They seem to have a fairly good selection of composites for around $50, so I'll be picking one up tomorrow. I'm going to look at the Reebok 4K Sickick iii, Bauer Vapor X:15, Bauer Supreme ONE20 and maybe a few more depending on what they have in stock.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about flex and all that, as long as it's durable and with a curve I like I'll grab it. I just want to get an inexpensive stick to try it out. I've got wood sticks, ABS blade sticks, etc., but I'd really like to give the composites a try and see how I like them. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. That's why I love these boards!

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:58 AM
LeMAD

For floor hockey almost anything will do. Go for brand names, there are good choices for $50-60.

In my case, composites last way longer than wooden sticks, which I broke once every two games. But since I use composites, I generally use the same stick for a full season.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Easton Synergy SE6, Zetterberg curve

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcreepshow View Post
I've been looking online at the sticks at Sport Chek and Hockey Life and I'm going to check them out tomorrow. They seem to have a fairly good selection of composites for around $50, so I'll be picking one up tomorrow. I'm going to look at the Reebok 4K Sickick iii, Bauer Vapor X:15, Bauer Supreme ONE20 and maybe a few more depending on what they have in stock.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about flex and all that, as long as it's durable and with a curve I like I'll grab it. I just want to get an inexpensive stick to try it out. I've got wood sticks, ABS blade sticks, etc., but I'd really like to give the composites a try and see how I like them. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. That's why I love these boards!
Of those sticks, I recommend the 4K as they have an ABS core

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

these lower end one pieces arent really composite, they are more fiberglass and it feels like it. they just dont have the same feel as the high end ops but if you were going for one, id say maybe the vpor X40 which is like 100 bones and a pretty popular stick

if you want a full composite one piece stick and dont mind shedding out a little more the Sherwood T-90 is a full composite one piece stick. its about 130 bones but it doesnt hold up as well as other companies top one piece sticks, but it is very light and is fully composite. i dont like it but its an option for ya

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:31 PM
ponder

Not so much for floor hockey, but for ice hockey I was in Sport Chek the other day in downtown Vancouver (in the Pacific mall) and they had a tonne of Easton Synergy STs (grip version) for $120, pretty good deal if you ask me, definitely a popular, good stick.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote