HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
JKP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
I don't think we Isles fans should have to settle for this attitude anymore, regardless of the result.

I'm not grabbing the pitchforks and torches yet, but if the team starts suffering en masse due to DP's mistakes, I know which side I'm taking.
My point remains, Rolo is not the future. This is a team that, despite the nice start and media platitudes, is building for a long-term, perennial contender run. That's the stated goal: stop backing into the playoffs and build a team from the ground up that can be highly competitive for years with a solid core that is developed together.

DP is part of that core. Roloson is not. I am in no way advocating we throw games for the future. I never have. The team tries to win every game. But it needs to do that while developing its players. And right now, DP has essentially been out of hockey for two years and needs work to get his game back. That's more important than a few Roloson-backed wins right now.

The sooner DP is back to all-star form, the sooner the next step is taken by this team.

Old
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
My point remains, Rolo is not the future. This is a team that, despite the nice start and media platitudes, is building for a long-term, perennial contender run. That's the stated goal: stop backing into the playoffs and build a team from the ground up that can be highly competitive for years with a solid core that is developed together.

DP is part of that core. Roloson is not. I am in no way advocating we throw games for the future. I never have. The team tries to win every game. But it needs to do that while developing its players. And right now, DP has essentially been out of hockey for two years and needs work to get his game back. That's more important than a few Roloson-backed wins right now.

The sooner DP is back to all-star form, the sooner the next step is taken by this team.
We're in agreement on this one, actually - just approaching from 2 different directions.

I feel that it may be just as fortuitous (maybe even more so) to have DP get those #1 goalie minutes - in Bridgeport for a few weeks. This way either Koskinen, Lawson or Poulin gets to spend a little time with the big club while DP gets his conditioning on a higher pace start-wise and a lower pace competition wise. Gordon gets some on-hand evaluation of the likely candidate for next season's back-up role as they get a few games of NHL experience.

I want DP back in top shape as much as the next guy and this could be taken as a more forward-thinking method of getting him there while accomplishing a few other things at the same time.

Overall, we agree on his development.

As far as getting wins is concerned, the #1 goalie should be the most likely to aid in getting points in the standings, at least at the NHL level. The AHL is usually where 'development' happens, especially for a player as pivotal to a team's success as a goalie. If Roloson does the best job for the confidence and proper flow & execution of this team, the decision is pretty obvious. I'd rather see some of these youngsters get their feet wet in post-season hockey, DP regain his game in the Bridge and Rollie retires a hero; if it takes Roloson in net to get us there, it's several players getting that experience, as opposed to one player getting back into game shape, which once again - for goalies it's better to do this in the AHL where a little rust won't effect the overall momentum of the team. it kills 2 birds with 1 stone, IMO.

P.S.: If we're about securing the future as much as being homegrown, then now IS the time for a Bridgeport goalie to get an NHL game or two out of the way; DP's the future to, but as his health is tenuous at best, somebody's gotta start thinking about who becomes his relief-man.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 10-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old
10-25-2010, 09:47 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticislander View Post
Haters please step to the left. DiPi is going to be a 40 game winner this year. We're the Devils now and they're the Islanders. Bet Kovalchuk wishes he signed here now. that fool Trottier! And that fool Kovalchuk!

Lets get a new arena and call it a season. **** you KC.
Did we get you in the trade for Trots..... Are you the future considerations we hear of.

You guys are the Rangers now and we are still the Islanders

If DP is the "starter" , the team is not doing everything possible to win. What we have is what we have but the team is going out on every shift to win. That is the goal to win. We may not be cup contenders but we always must go out to win.

I don't hate DP but we need who gives us the best chance to win now. That is Roli and DP needs to show he is the #1. by playing well when he plays. .We have not seen that as of yet. Winning means alot in helping our young players excel and winning is fun for everyone.

DP is a talented goalie and could be a Top 5 goalie in the league if he can stay healthly and get back to his style of play.

Roli has earned his spot as #1

Old
10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
3) Ricky on a conditioning stint works well in more than one way. It gives Koskinen/Poulin some games on an NHL bench plus a game or two to pop his cherry as far as the NHL game goes, while it gives DP time to get back in shape where a bad performance is slightly less dire. If this were Montréal, he'd be in protective custody. Good thing its not - he pressures himself enough already.

There is no reason to doubt (yet) that most of this top-9 can't get us into the playoffs. Wait until Okposo gets back and it even improves. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for a game or two, but if it becomes obvious that DP's brainfarts cost us points in the standings

Good post Landmine.

Couple of comments.

Ricky in BP makes little sense. It's the NHL GAME Rick needs to adjust to. The speed of play, the pace, the shooters - you cannot adjust to that in the AHL. If he's physically healthy and able to play, he will get into game-shape (mentally and physically sooner rather than later)

Quote:
If DP gets himself in to game shape without a conditioning stint, great.
....right up untll it becomes a detriment to the team.

Until Roloson proves otherwise, I think his steadiness plus this team's obvious growth can translate into making the post-season. Until DP proves otherwise, 2 years of inactivity is a lot to come back from with only 6 games and a near-joke of a preseason played.
How do you know when he "becomes a detriment on the team"? Are you prepared to address this after each start? Are you including Roloson's last 3 starts vs DiPietro's last 3 starts? Careful what metrics you use to make such decisions. I suspect the metrics you'll need are the ones that don't exist - as in, who will play better next game, who gives us the best chance to win?
And complicate that decision by the fact that one player is 41 and only under contract for the next six months.

In terms of the post season? I still don't buy it - I hope I'm wrong. This small sample size, the OT losses and partial points, the fact that Parenteau's leading the team in scoring - the fact that KO and Streit are a long way away - Playoffs seems like a long way off, even if Jesus is in goal (I'm not religious, I assume Jesus would be a near-perfect goalie though)

Quote:
Sometimes you gotta cut the damn cord, and I hope Gordon & Snow espouse this philosophy to Ricky. Either DP plays like an NHL goalie or he goes to Bridgeport where he can correct his game and come back or languish on his phat contract and let Wang pay it since it was his idea. (Not sure who cleared that up for me a page ago, but thanks the same.)
I don't think sending your "franchise goalie" to Bridgeport is the best move for the player or the team, especially when they desperately need the contract to hit the cap floor (along with Okposo's and Streit's contracts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
If DP is the "starter" , the team is not doing everything possible to win. What we have is what we have but the team is going out on every shift to win. That is the goal to win. We may not be cup contenders but we always must go out to win.

I don't hate DP but we need who gives us the best chance to win now. That is Roli and DP needs to show he is the #1. by playing well when he plays. .We have not seen that as of yet. Winning means alot in helping our young players excel and winning is fun for everyone.

DP is a talented goalie and could be a Top 5 goalie in the league if he can stay healthly and get back to his style of play.

Roli has earned his spot as #1
I think you (and several others) are overestimating the difference between Roloson and DiPietro over this season's very small sample size. Roloson is not as good as he was against Toronto and DiPietro's not as bad as his stats indicate thus far. We're not talking about Brodeur vs Clemmensen from 5 years ago!

Is it contradictory (the bolded part, above) to say DP could be a top 5 and then suggest Roloson is the #1? I think you mean that Roloson, TODAY, is the better goalie and is PLAYING like the #1 goalie, so it should be his job to lose. If DiPietro regains his old form and shows the talent/promise he once had, then he should be given #1 status. He shouldn't have it GIVEN TO HIM because of his contract.

I don't disagree with that notion.

I agree that the better goalie should play more, in general, I think that THIS SPECIFIC case is special and unique. It's not often that a franchise goalie (defined by prior performance and contract assigned - weighed somewhat equally for sake of argument) misses two years and several surgeries, goes through hell physically and emotionally, just to play again. I'd think that stress should by him the goodwill of more than 5 starts before he's cast aside - no?

Big picture, this team needs to figure out what DiPietro can do. What the NEW DiPietro can do. This needs time and a lot of starts. The decision to re-sign Roloson or deal him in 4 months for a "first rounder" if we're not in the hunt, will be something Snow will likely face this year. A lot depends not on Roloson and his steady/impressive play and attitude - BUT on how DiPietro plays and how he manages to stay healthy and regain whatever form he can.

(On a side note, I'm not yet convinced this is a playoff team. Sure we've seen flashes but missing your two best players - Okposo and Streit - for several months is harder to overcome over that time frame. In spurts, sure, teams adapt. But I look at the roster and I'm still very concerned about competing every night. I've been pleasantly surprised but I see a lot of marginal players on this team.)

Old
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Good post Landmine.

Couple of comments.

Ricky in BP makes little sense. It's the NHL GAME Rick needs to adjust to. The speed of play, the pace, the shooters - you cannot adjust to that in the AHL. If he's physically healthy and able to play, he will get into game-shape (mentally and physically sooner rather than later)

How do you know when he "becomes a detriment on the team"? Are you prepared to address this after each start? Are you including Roloson's last 3 starts vs DiPietro's last 3 starts? Careful what metrics you use to make such decisions. I suspect the metrics you'll need are the ones that don't exist - as in, who will play better next game, who gives us the best chance to win?
And complicate that decision by the fact that one player is 41 and only under contract for the next six months.

In terms of the post season? I still don't buy it - I hope I'm wrong. This small sample size, the OT losses and partial points, the fact that Parenteau's leading the team in scoring - the fact that KO and Streit are a long way away - Playoffs seems like a long way off, even if Jesus is in goal (I'm not religious, I assume Jesus would be a near-perfect goalie though)

I don't think sending your "franchise goalie" to Bridgeport is the best move for the player or the team, especially when they desperately need the contract to hit the cap floor (along with Okposo's and Streit's contracts)

I think you (and several others) are overestimating the difference between Roloson and DiPietro over this season's very small sample size. Roloson is not as good as he was against Toronto and DiPietro's not as bad as his stats indicate thus far. We're not talking about Brodeur vs Clemmensen from 5 years ago!

Is it contradictory (the bolded part, above) to say DP could be a top 5 and then suggest Roloson is the #1? I think you mean that Roloson, TODAY, is the better goalie and is PLAYING like the #1 goalie, so it should be his job to lose. If DiPietro regains his old form and shows the talent/promise he once had, then he should be given #1 status. He shouldn't have it GIVEN TO HIM because of his contract.

I don't disagree with that notion.

I agree that the better goalie should play more, in general, I think that THIS SPECIFIC case is special and unique. It's not often that a franchise goalie (defined by prior performance and contract assigned - weighed somewhat equally for sake of argument) misses two years and several surgeries, goes through hell physically and emotionally, just to play again. I'd think that stress should by him the goodwill of more than 5 starts before he's cast aside - no?

Big picture, this team needs to figure out what DiPietro can do. What the NEW DiPietro can do. This needs time and a lot of starts. The decision to re-sign Roloson or deal him in 4 months for a "first rounder" if we're not in the hunt, will be something Snow will likely face this year. A lot depends not on Roloson and his steady/impressive play and attitude - BUT on how DiPietro plays and how he manages to stay healthy and regain whatever form he can.

(On a side note, I'm not yet convinced this is a playoff team. Sure we've seen flashes but missing your two best players - Okposo and Streit - for several months is harder to overcome over that time frame. In spurts, sure, teams adapt. But I look at the roster and I'm still very concerned about competing every night. I've been pleasantly surprised but I see a lot of marginal players on this team.)
First off, danke.

In regards to a stint in Bridgeport and 'conditioning,' - this addresses how capable his body is - maybe I'm more than a bit snake-bitten, but like someone posted elsewhere, I'm sure it's more than me & a few others who stop breathing for a sec when he looks like he's grimacing after a save sequence. As far as the level of play, you've totally got me there.

As far as a detriment to a team, this is towards how many games are decided by him making a bad decision that leads to a near empty net goal. If he chilled out and just played a simple game, it would limit these situations.

He was known for that before his absence, and now that he's finally back I would hope he starts to tone it down - yes, at times it helps when your goalie can get the puck to center ice quicker than a d-man dropping coverage.....but when you limit turnovers, you limit a little bit of the other team's puck possession and diminish the time that they control the puck in your defensive zone. We all know he can be a turnover machine when it comes down to this.

Again - I'm a bit snake-bitten (likely more than a bit). It just looks to me like the team plays just a little steadier when Roloson's in net. They're going to have to get adjusted to DP just as DP must adjust to playing in the lion's share of games again, admittedly. I think much of my apprehension around DP is just that he seems to refuse to simplify his methods even though his methods are good for at least 2 Islander fans' near-heartattacks per game; if you've led the league in turnovers for whatever reason, address what causes it and limit it. As great as a goalie as he has shown us in flashes, he still turns the puck over with too much regularity and right now I think simple is best. I'm hoping he calms that aspect of his game down, or at least holds off until situations where it's less likely to bite us in the ***.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, we only have a small sample size to analyze - agreed. While Parenteau is leading the team in points for now, I suspect the following:

1) Tavares will over-shoot him like Spaceball One going to plaid and beating a winnebago by roughly a light year.

2) Moulson's production will jump a bit with JT back, as he's more capable of scoring both garbage and solid goals.

3) If he does make it to 30-40 points, we'll see his job done far more efficiently if he's still getting top line minutes when Okposo comes back.

Again, yes - small sample size. But much of my justification for optimism is the number of one-goal games/3rd period breakdowns this team lost last year compared to the 3rd period aggressiveness they seem to have so far. If....yes, it's a big IF....they can keep even some of that up long enough for Streit & Okposo to return, they'll at least be in the hunt for while, maybe even long enough for their fortunes to be decided as much by the other teams fighting to clinch in the last month of the season, when it's all up for grabs.

Back to DP, in a perfect universe, Gordon & Snow sit him down and tell him he needs to either find a way to communicate his intentions with the puck better to our players know what to do, or just concentrate on stopping the puck.

If you're a guitarist and you break your hand skiing, sometimes you gotta practice some old Nirvana before you're ready to bust out with "Eruption", if you know what I mean.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:38 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post

So suck a few more years, like we insisted on in 1975, 1976, 1977....years that meant nothing where we didn't try. Those years did nothing to develop those we had....they just were filler for time we needed to draft more kids.

Tavares is our future but we'll put him on hold until our fabled hero of 2000 shows us what he's got. Same with Bailey's newfound success and Moulson's continuation and our team's surprising energy and poise. They don't matter.....they're on Ricky's timetable.

Yikes.

Let's retire Rolo or trade him so we can start Lawson and see if 50 games will show whether he can be our backup while we're at it?
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7461871/

Oh, and I'm rooting for Rick to improve and stay healthy, FWIW. If he earns the starting job with better stats and play, bonus!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earn
Quote:
1earn vt \ˈərn\
Definition of EARN
a : to receive as return for effort and especially for work done or services rendered
b : to bring in by way of return <bonds earning 10 percent interest>
a : to come to be duly worthy of or entitled or suited to <she earned a promotion>

b : to make worthy of or obtain for <the suggestion earned him a promotion>
Can we please consider Rollie might have earned the starting job and playing time?

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 10-26-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old
10-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Why I called him a poster boy for Milbury:
Out of all the bad moves, curious trades, and poor drafting, DP is the biggest profile one that is still on the Island.
Yes, I'm quoting myself.

I think that quite a bit of the DP hate is due to what I quoted.
I think that quite a bit of the DP hate just because he is DP is due to what I quoted.

He represents Milbury and all the poo moves he made, all that head scratching we did while watching the trades be made, the amusing/confusing contracts being offered...etc... He represents the meddling of Wang. He is the lightning rod for all that hate, all that annoyance...etc...

Last edited by Mr Wentworth: 10-26-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: God made me do it.
Old
10-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Pondwaterpierre*

I've always hated Dipietro.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondwaterpierre View Post
I've always hated Dipietro.
I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO HATE DIPIETRO!!

j/k... I just want us to win now and into the future..

Old
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Yes, I'm quoting myself.

I think that quite a bit of the DP hate is due to what I quoted.
I think that quite a bit of the DP hate just because he is DP is due to what I quoted.

He represents Milbury and all the poo moves he made, all that head scratching we did while watching the trades be made, the amusing/confusing contracts being offered...etc... He represents the meddling of Wang. He is the lightning rod for all that hate, all that annoyance...etc...
Good point. While he does kinda represent this, seeing flashes of excellence from him gave me hope (pre-injury.) I feel if he just simplified his game and stopped making brainfart moves on the ice, it would alleviate much of the Milbury/Wang bad taste.

I don't dislike DP (until he does something stupid.....) and hope he can regain his form. In a way it would be poetic justice; one of the strangest/worst trades & most asinine contracts starting to work in our favor...

.....it would be nice, but I can't hold my breath forever. Neither can this team, neither can this franchise. Which is why it would be great if DP getting into game shape didn't become a hindrance in the standings for the team....

Office Space: "You should ask yourself...for every decision you make, is this good for the company? Am I helping with the company's strategic vision?"

I think that sums it up right there. I'm going to try and give it about 20-25 games played before I start obsessing of stats like GAA & turnovers, but if it starts quacking like a duck....well there you have it.

The company's strategic vision is the Stanley Cup, which has been won by underdogs several times in the history of the NHL. This isn't some wide-eyed-kid, 'anything is possible' garbage, either - did anyone think Anaheim or Carolina was capable of wining the cup? Not very many outside of these particular fanbases. They won because they got as many points during the season by icing the best 20 players they could, not by espousing some crap philosophy that getting as many points in the standings as possible takes a back seat to ONE PLAYER 'getting his groove back.' Yes, DP has to play some games to get there, obviously. But I remember times when he was healthy that certain bonehead plays of his directly resulted in losing games.

If that starts happening now, with all these young players buying into a system, getting bigger, playing better when it counts more than it did in 10 years as this is a homegrown movement rather than the constant journeyman veteran gumbo recipe we were all fed, then you fix the freaking problem. DP (often unjustly) doesn't get much of a pass from some of us due to Milbury/Wang acquiring him and offering him a jack*ss contract, but he gets a pass when he plays well, and if halfway down the season I go back and see as many as half a dozen games were points were lost because he tried to do too much and got caught out of position from stickhandling or diving in the corner, that pass evaporates, as I'd expect from any Isles fan concerned more with the advancement of the team more so than the redemption of ONE PLAYER.

I don't give a damn about the contract - for all I care, he's Wang's mistake in that regard and if it turned out that Wang pays him to be a golf buddy for the next ten years, fine - it's Wang's "immovable overhead" to manage. If he returns to form and doesn't **** up the team getting to the playoffs (which guess what, folks - THAT'S THE CURRENT REALISTIC GOAL, fight 'em until you can't, great, DiPietro vindicates himself. If he can't win games, dress someone who does until he recognizes that the game is played with post-lockout rules and is noticeably faster, therefore easier for him to get burned for no more than an occasionally flawed decision making process.

All quoted from wikipedia:

"In the 1996 playoffs, as the fourth seed, the Panthers faced the Boston Bruins in the first round and won in five games. Bill Lindsay's famous series-clinching goal is still a trademark image for the incredible run the third-year franchise went on. The Cats went on to upset the top-seeded Philadelphia Flyers in six games and then the second-seeded Pittsburgh Penguins in seven (with Tom Fitzgerald scoring what would end up being the game-winning goal) to reach the Stanley Cup Final."

If the freaking Florida Panthers could clutch their way to the Stanley Cup Finals in the 3rd year of their existence, so can any team with the right attitude to make up for- if not augment- the talent they may or may not have. You play to win, period. I'm not assuming 4 series sweeps en route to the cup, but future champions play with the determination of current champions until the math says you lose. I'll have my doubts in March when 8 of 10 points are required and the next 4 games are Philly, Chicago and a home-&-home with the Caps. That's why they play 82 games.

There are 2 "i's" in DiPietro, and NONE in team. You play to win, period.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 10-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
With all due respect, Why do you, or anyone else for that matter, get to define which one is which? The people who are frustrated with DP, or any other player, have the right to voice those opinions as much as the rest of us.

You can either value them and respond, or write them off as unfair and move on...but to censor them by making sure they are separate from the GDT is absurd in my opinion...just the way I see it.
I don't. I'm not a moderator. But it just gets frustrating when you make a valid point and you get responded to with something completely inane and baseless that it makes you wonder why you even bother.

Trust me, it's chased plenty of people off these boards in recent years.

EDIT: I think we're talking about different things. Letting off steam is OK. Responding to someone's post with a "you know nothing, DP suckzorz" or something along those lines is what I'm talking about. Or people who simply don't listen to points that don't line up with theirs.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Office Space: "You should ask yourself...for every decision you make, is this good for the company? Am I helping with the company's strategic vision?"
great line. great movie.

Quote:

I think that sums it up right there. I'm going to try and give it about 20-25 games played before I start obsessing of stats like GAA & turnovers, but if it starts quacking like a duck....well there you have it.

The company's strategic vision is the Stanley Cup, which has been won by underdogs several times in the history of the NHL. This isn't some wide-eyed-kid, 'anything is possible' garbage, either - did anyone think Anaheim or Carolina was capable of wining the cup? Not very many outside of these particular fanbases. They won because they got as many points during the season by icing the best 20 players they could, not by espousing some crap philosophy that getting as many points in the standings as possible takes a back seat to ONE PLAYER 'getting his groove back.' Yes, DP has to play some games to get there, obviously. But I remember times when he was healthy that certain bonehead plays of his directly resulted in losing games.
Newsflash: DiPietro will always make poor clearing attempts that lead to scoring chances against. He will also, OFTEN, clear the puck far better than many of his defensemen could. That's how he plays, that's a part of why he was drafted and probably a contributing factor to his lifetime contract. Plus, at the time, he was young, he was healthy and he was a great goalie who was competitive, loved the city, the fans and had determination to win.

Criticize the contract all you want.

Criticize the player all you want.

But DP's treated completely unfairly by many fans. If that's Roloson who has an intercepted pass that leads to a goal do the fans act this way? Some of you act like Roloson's Patrick Roy while DiPietro is the next Joey MacDonald.
----
and on winning?

Careful what you drink Landmine (and several others), it make look fruity and delicious but may not be.

If the team was PLANNING to win now, you wouldn't see a struggle to reach the cap floor with the help of a back-up goalie, a Russian KHL star and their two best roster players injured.

Just saying.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
I don't. I'm not a moderator. But it just gets frustrating when you make a valid point and you get responded to with something completely inane and baseless that it makes you wonder why you even bother.

Trust me, it's chased plenty of people off these boards in recent years.

EDIT: I think we're talking about different things. Letting off steam is OK. Responding to someone's post with a "you know nothing, DP suckzorz" or something along those lines is what I'm talking about. Or people who simply don't listen to points that don't line up with theirs.
Offering up an irrational opinion is what I was speaking to. In my opinion, they should be allowed to do so without having to leave the GDT.

That said, the minute they attack someone else for not feeling the same way they do, they need to be dealt with because that's a different situation Izzo.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
great line. great movie.

Newsflash: DiPietro will always make poor clearing attempts that lead to scoring chances against. He will also, OFTEN, clear the puck far better than many of his defensemen could. That's how he plays, that's a part of why he was drafted and probably a contributing factor to his lifetime contract. Plus, at the time, he was young, he was healthy and he was a great goalie who was competitive, loved the city, the fans and had determination to win.

But DP's treated completely unfairly by many fans. If that's Roloson who has an intercepted pass that leads to a goal do the fans act this way? Some of you act like Roloson's Patrick Roy while DiPietro is the next Joey MacDonald.
----
and on winning?

Careful what you drink Landmine (and several others), it make look fruity and delicious but may not be.

If the team was PLANNING to win now, you wouldn't see a struggle to reach the cap floor with the help of a back-up goalie, a Russian KHL star and their two best roster players injured.

Just saying.
DP led the league in turnovers. He has maybe one great pass for every ten or twelve that are horrible. If my girlfriend was great behind the wheel that much, I'd sell her car and buy her a bicycle.

I know you like Rick....I kinda like him.....but the argument is "does the team come first?"

Well, not to some, apparently.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
great line. great movie.

----
and on winning?

Just saying.
Fair points. ...Here's my $.02:

As far as the Roloson vs. DiPietro argument, DP will catch a little more scrutiny from me not as much because of how he became the #1, but because we're likely stuck with him until I'm 40. If you make an investment, you want it to pan out, and with the exception of all-star games and a few highlight reel saves, Wang has invested poorly, and for the long term. It will continue to be viewed that way until DP gets that first playoff series win out of the way - then we're on to something. To get to that point, a team must win enough games to make it to the preseason. The more stable a team plays, the better chance they have. The less DP over-taxes himself, the fresher he'll be come that situation, especially since Roloson's as old as he is. If Roloson is capable of a near .500 record (23-18-7 in 50 games), our #1 should be counted on for equal or better.

Roloson did a fair job holding down the fort and was a big part of the statistical improvement of the team from the J-Mac/Biron year to the next. It's not that I think he's the be-all-end-all (though I know it can be misconstrued that way easily since we're only comparing 2 goalies), just that you go with what gets the team the results. It'll take another dozen games or so from each goalie to really see who's more capable at this point, but again I'll admit, I'm snake-bitten with DP. I don't rail against him unjustly as much as I point out flaws in his game that Roloson doesn't have (the roaming, turnovers, etc.)

Now if Roloson started doing it, I'd be moving right on down the line wondering who gets the nod from Bridgeport to get a cup of coffee with the NYI, especially since in the event that a suitable FA goalie won't sign here the devil you know is better than the devil you don't, and Roloson's on his last year as it is.

I don't want to vilify DP as much as I want the team to go for the most stable option now, as it helps the team that much more.

As far as winning, I don't think it's so much 'planning' to win as much as the team shows enough jump, obviously believing in their ability to come back from being down a goal. vastly improved 3rd period performances, etc....resulting in a more cohesive team, capable of somewhat better results.

I don't think they'll win the cup this year, but again it's an 82 game sched. As far as the playoffs are concerned with all the parity in the east, it's anyone's guess. If they can hover around .500 until Streit and KO come back, it's a toss.

Does anyone really think the Nolan-coached Yashin/Blake/Dubielewicz roster is that much better than what we've got now? The '07 Isles may have had experience on their side, but this team's got something they don't: balls of the non-stomping, stick swinging variety. The fact that Yashin was on that team should be enough to make it at the very least debatable.

I'm not saying it's light years of improvement, but I strongly feel this team is more mentally capable and willful - the style of play, they coach and the pedigree of certain players acquired since totally suggest that. A team willing to slug it out right up until the final buzzer can do many things.

I don't think these opinions make me a kool-aid drinker so much (my drink's V8. ), though I can see where that opinion can be formed. I immediately go from 'don't stop believing' mode to 'the hell with this, bring the draft & FA period' and nearly blithely skip over the doubt after assessing the result and figuring out what's to blame.

Our goal production already looks way better; remaoins to see if that pace continues - but the confidence is a huge improvement.

Defense: Deeper than last year, likely much better after Streit gets back.

Skating: Last year doesn't even come close.

Which leaves goaltending, which the jury's out on until we get a bigger sample size and DP isn't as rusty.

Maybe not entirely pragmatic of an opinion, but again, 74 games to go. The question is are they for trying to get points or rehab? DP may be a part of our future, but we have a game tonight, and most people that don't want the Isles to win it are HABS & RANGER FANS.

If I wanted the Isles to lose, I'd be rooting for one of the above, hoping for a 'less than 100%' roster, but I don't because every win helps cultivate an expectation of success. So do we acquiesce to a hypothetical future in which DP's given X number of games to not play TEAM FIRST and drop in the standings too far to make up the ground before he can be held accountable or do we take a page from Trottier and raise the bar?

That's all I ask. Higher expectations precede a better result. I feel pretty comfortable assuming Tavares and Bailey get it.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 10-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
Did we get you in the trade for Trots..... Are you the future considerations we hear of.

You guys are the Rangers now and we are still the Islanders
You did, and you made out like bandits. I will troll Rangers like no one elses business.

Old
10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
DP led the league in turnovers. He has maybe one great pass for every ten or twelve that are horrible. If my girlfriend was great behind the wheel that much, I'd sell her car and buy her a bicycle.

I know you like Rick....I kinda like him.....but the argument is "does the team come first?"

Well, not to some, apparently.
I find it ironic that DiPietro is associated to "does the team come first"

I don't see the difference of investing some time and short term pain in DiPietro being any different than it was for Bailey the last two years, for Tavares last year, for Niederreiter this year.

I don't see the difference of investing time and hope and big minutes in extremely limited marginal players like Parenteau, Schremp, Grabner or even re-signing a 40 year old off surgery Doug Weight.

Why does management get accolades for finding "gems" in the garbage and investing time in their development, enjoy moderate success at best (see: Schremp and Parenteau)?

YET

The same investment in a former all-star goalie, former 1st overall pick, the one player who fought INJURY (not his fault) for two years just to get back healthy is not allowed to "get better on the job"?

Like THIS means putting DiPietro ahead of the team? Really? I don't get it. It's ONLY explained by a personal hate for DiPietro.

I don't see the team first, I see Wang's wallet being put FIRST.

Continued development of the youth on the team second.

Team success in the short term, ie. this year, a distant third.

Quote:
That's all I ask. Higher expectations precede a better result. I feel pretty comfortable assuming Tavares and Bailey get it.
DiPietro has higher skillset and is 12 years younger than Roloson. If anything, the higher expectations come from DiPietro more than Roloson.

Whether DiPietro is the right goalie for a cup contending team in 3-4 years is another debate.

Maybe it'll be Koskinen or Poulin? or someone else who's not currently on the roster. Time will tell.

Old
10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticislander View Post
You did, and you made out like bandits. I will troll Rangers like no one elses business.
hated his wangvatar....hate yours now.

Old
10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Who is doing better and who is chosen to start?

Quote:
I don't see the difference of investing some time and short term pain in DiPietro being any different than it was for Bailey the last two years, for Tavares last year, for Niederreiter this year.
Bailey's Islanders - horrible.
Tavares' Islanders - not much better.
Nino's Islanders - we're in it and Nino should be sent down to improve.

Quote:
I don't see the difference of investing time and hope and big minutes extremely limited marginal players like Parenteau, Schremp, Grabner or even re-signing a 40 year old off surgery Doug Weight.
Weight leads. Parentau is a bridge and risk for the sake of time to allow Petrov to come over, Martin to prove he can come up, Nino to show he's ready, etc.....a placeholder. Schremp can score and play offense....so it helps THE TEAM. Grabner is a potential NHL'er or not.....but he's NOT OUR GOALIE.

Quote:
Why does management get accolades for finding "gems" in the garbage and investing time in their development, enjoy moderate success at best (see: Schremp and Parenteau)?

I don't get it. It's ONLY explained by a personal hate for DiPietro.
And UFO's, non dairy creamer and the designated hitter....oh, and the second shooter in the grassy knoll.

Quote:
YET

The same investment in a former all-star goalie, former 1st overall pick, the one player who fought INJURY (not his fault) for two years just to get back healthy is not allowed to "get better on the job"?
Sure he can.....but he's been made THE STARTER when the "backup" is far superior and is getting the shaft with playing time. Winning is secondary to Prince Valiant getting his groove on.

Quote:
Like THIS means putting DiPietro ahead of the team? Really?
Who can win the games and is playing better? Who is getting more playing time?

If you want to win, those two answers are identical. If not....you're fooling yourself if yu think it's for the sake of winning.

Quote:

And I'm not paying to pad Wang's wallet. I'm not paying to develop players. I'm paying to see the youth be brought into a successful environment so they can be as good as can be. I list those in reverse order because the team means more than any player and CERTAINLY more than any owner. Were Yankee fans worried about Steinbrennar's bank account in the 1980's? Just curious.

Quote:
DiPietro has higher skillset and is 12 years younger than Roloson. If anything, the higher expectations come from DiPietro more than Roloson.

Whether DiPietro is the right goalie for a cup contending team in 3-4 years is another debate.

Maybe it'll be Koskinen or Poulin? or someone else who's not currently on the roster. Time will tell.
So do we tread water in a wait and see with Rick and then just abandon all hope and run with a kid if it doesn't work? I guess there's no point whatsoever having Rollie in uniform if he's OLD.....

Old
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
redbull
movin'on up

First, my laughing out loud:

Quote:
Prince Valiant getting his groove on
And UFO's, non dairy creamer and the designated hitter....oh, and the second shooter in the grassy knoll
funny stuff OTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Who is doing better and who is chosen to start?
Is it possible that DiPietro WON THE JOB at camp?

Do we know that Gordon likes to lose games in the final year of his contract? Is it possible that Gordon feels the team has a better chance to win with DiPietro?

Quote:
Bailey's Islanders - horrible.
Tavares' Islanders - not much better.
Nino's Islanders - we're in it and Nino should be sent down to improve.
don't disagree, but since DiPietro was drafted to date:
DiPietro's Islanders - mostest horrible.

Quote:
Weight leads. Parentau is a bridge and risk for the sake of time to allow Petrov to come over, Martin to prove he can come up, Nino to show he's ready, etc.....a placeholder. Schremp can score and play offense....so it helps THE TEAM. Grabner is a potential NHL'er or not.....but he's NOT OUR GOALIE.
these moves DEFINE "stop gap" - not winning. That's my whole point.

Quote:
And I'm not paying to pad Wang's wallet. I'm not paying to develop players. I'm paying to see the youth be brought into a successful environment so they can be as good as can be. I list those in reverse order because the team means more than any player and CERTAINLY more than any owner. Were Yankee fans worried about Steinbrennar's bank account in the 1980's? Just curious.
I don't care about Wang's wallet....but he does. I believe those are HIS priorities, not the team nor the on-ice product in terms of WINS.

I believe the TEAM FEELS the "successful environment" is best served with DiPietro in goal, not Roloson. Hence, the contract and non-contract. (I will say that I love Roloson, I think he's a very solid goalie and I'd probably offer him an extension for next year. But It's unlikely he takes it, given the DiPietro situation)

Old
10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
One thing I wanted to clarify on this- This is primarily in regard to how chancy the results of his stick-handling can be, plus the fact that maybe a little more alternation would be nice; in the event that (God forbid) DP get injured again, then it'll be Roloson and we'll be forced to call up a goalie from the Bridge. I'd rather take DP's return a little slower and spread the workload around....not because I hate DP (as stated several times previously, I'm a DP supporter), but because patience and a little alternation may help us in the long run, keeping neither goalie at rest or exhausted, both ready to give an A-game.

Quote:
Tavares, Bailey & Niederreiter are forwards. Less perilous results if they make a mistake. Especially since if you subtract Niederreiter and add Weight, Nielsen & Schremp (when healthy), you get 5 guys capable of playing center already on the Island. After Roloson & DP, NHL experience gets pretty thin. I advocate the AHL goalies getting their coffee with the big club if possible, but it's more plausible to bump Nielsen up a line for 15 games than it is to start Poulin/Koskinen/Lawson 15 straight if injuries persist. Other than the AHL goalie pool, the contingency plan in net is thin.

Quote:
I don't see the difference of investing time and hope and big minutes in extremely limited marginal players like Parenteau, Schremp, Grabner or even re-signing a 40 year old off surgery Doug Weight.

YET

Like THIS means putting DiPietro ahead of the team? Really? I don't get it. It's ONLY explained by a personal hate for DiPietro.
Weight's the captain and a solid natural leader on all accounts. As far as other FA's & waiver pickups, I see it as a case of "since we can't/won't buy a natural, well-known 40 goal scorer, we'll take a few 15-20's while you younger players develop your game/leadership." Grabner's skating precipitated his signing, IMO. Schremp, for all his flaws, is an amazing stickhandler, and younger potential players make better reclamation projects than the Fedotenko/Comrie variety - these guys are in a position where their success is more likely a result of how well they can be molded.

Once again, I do not hate DiPietro. I want him to return to form so the Isles play more confidently with him in net and my heart doesn't stop when he gets up slow after a save grimacing.

Quote:

I think 2 and 3 dovetail. The more games the youth play AND win, the more confident, thus the better result, maybe sneaking in to the playoffs equals more games, etc. Plus, the way JT rises to an occasion will make more games a crap-shoot odds-wise. I don't expect the cup this season, but I expect the team to compete like they believe they can. If the team views this as a development year, they may as well give up and take another 'shiny savior' in the lottery. At some point, you MUST mobilize and figure out that the key to development is practiced, proper execution. Should the team play half-*ssed just because Hamonic & DeHaan aren't here yet? Do we wait until Tavares can drink legally or Niederreiter? Screw waiting, you play like you can win EVERY GAME, AT ALL TIMES. Anything less is an inch and a half from a defeatist attitude.

Quote:

I agree here, but his higher skillset is also more susceptible to FAIL until he calms the hell down and stops trying to be Evil Knievel. I don't care if he gets a primary assist on a breakaway goal because he can puckhandle if the same skill results in 2+ goals against. I expect smarter play from him since he's pretty much locked in as #1, at least until another goalie wants to play for us as bad as he does AND outplays him. If he's making plays that hurt the team or threaten his already tenebrous health, just freakin' stop it and worry about stopping the puck. Is that too much to ask?

Some of the moves he makes are nearly on illogical par with a slow team killing off a 5-on-3 penalty repeatedly trying to create 3-on-2 breakaways. If it only works 10% of the time, DO IT LESS.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 10-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Put all DP criticisms in here, please!

Thanks!
A DiPietro criticism thread?

I thought I'd seen it all.How friggin pathetic

Old
10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A DiPietro criticism thread?

I thought I'd seen it all.How friggin pathetic
Whew....I'm glad you missed the CREW99AW criticism thread....I just got a PM confirmation from Sal that it was deleted....just before 100 posts (in less than 15 minutes, I might add)

I took some screen shots of some of the more racy comments. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Quote:
Tavares, Bailey & Niederreiter are forwards. Less perilous results if they make a mistake.
agreed. And a good point.

But DiPietro's judgement has nothing to do with health and very little to do with NHL-game-shape. He's always suffered from poor judgement with regards to playing the puck. He had gotten better before he got hurt (at the judgement part) and he's still far better than when he was trying to have back-to-back multi-point games....clearly, he has some work to do there.

Quote:

Some of the moves he makes are nearly on illogical par with a slow team killing off a 5-on-3 penalty repeatedly trying to create 3-on-2 breakaways. If it only works 10% of the time, DO IT LESS.
I also agree.

I don't pretend that DiPietro is the best goalie in hockey and that he doesn't make mistakes - FAR FROM IT.

I do think he's the best goalie the Islanders have. If he can stay healthy and regain his old form (or close to it), then he's the starter. This is justified by his overall talent and ability as well as his contract.

There were spurts over the past year when Tavares was clearly being outplayed by other players. Some of those names may have rhymed with "hemp"...but the team allowed Tavares to play through a slump knowing it was better for the team and for Tavares in the long run.

I don't see this DiPietro situation as any different.

Except it's not a slump, it's 2 years worth of multiple surgeries, many set-backs, emotional strain and a boat-load of humility that was probably a good thing for DiPietro, in an odd way.

Believe me, this team is far better with a solid DiPietro in net than without. And not just for the next ten starts, but the next several years. Before Roloson came along (and only because he was old and the NYI were the only team to offer an extra year), this team suffered through some really awful goaltending (among the other terrible cast of forwards and defensemen).

Those are years none of us will get back. The fact we're still Islanders fans is a testament to our stupidity and stubbornness I suppose....but now that there's some light, let's not rush to judge and burn our goalie - or start a thread JUST TO CRITICIZE HIM.

It's absurd.

Old
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Offering up an irrational opinion is what I was speaking to. In my opinion, they should be allowed to do so without having to leave the GDT.

That said, the minute they attack someone else for not feeling the same way they do, they need to be dealt with because that's a different situation Izzo.
I mean, yeah, they can offer whatever irrational opinion they want. I just don't necessarily have to respect it. And it isn't personal.

Old
10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Whew....I'm glad you missed the CREW99AW criticism thread....I just got a PM confirmation from Sal that it was deleted....just before 100 posts (in less than 15 minutes, I might add)

I took some screen shots of some of the more racy comments. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Closed Thread