HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Flyer Ever?

Old
10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Best Flyer Ever?

So my UPS guy asked me(a lifelong NYR fan) who I thought the best Flyer ever was, I told him Bernie Parent, he said Bobby Clarke...

Would anyone consider Lindros in his prime to be the best?

Now I ask the crew who should know best, not based on stats but just what they've seen....who is the best person to ever wear the sweater? ...AND WHY DO YOU SAY SO???

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

I'd have to say Jody Shelley.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
I wish we could put Shelley, Jones, and Brashear on one line. think of the possibilities!

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Love it. $ for production, easily the best deal, too.

As to the OP... I am not old enough to have really appreciated the Broad Street Bullies, though I have watched some of the games.

Simple fact is that in his prime, Eric Lindros was amongst the greatest hockey players ever... so if you want to talk about a short spurt, it's probably Lindros. However, longevity (and accomplishments) matter, and he's lacking there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Chris Therien, by far, the greatest player to put on a Flyers uniform.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Lindros in his prime.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Greatest Flyer ever has to be Clarke.

You could argue Lindros was the most talented Flyer ever, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flyskippy

#1. Bernie Parent
#1A. Bobby Clarke

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Not taking anything away from Bernie, to me Bobby Clarke is the epitome of a Flyer and the greatest Flyer. He personifies relentlessness and most of the catchphrases tried by recent Flyers PR people. His game combined skill, grit and heart and you rarely find that in one player.

Lindros was more talented though.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Love it. $ for production, easily the best deal, too.

As to the OP... I am not old enough to have really appreciated the Broad Street Bullies, though I have watched some of the games.

Simple fact is that in his prime, Eric Lindros was amongst the greatest hockey players ever... so if you want to talk about a short spurt, it's probably Lindros. However, longevity (and accomplishments) matter, and he's lacking there.
I agree with that assessment of 88. He could have been so much more...

Old
10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

1. Chris Pronger
2. Eric Lindros
3. Bobby Clarke
4. Peter Forsberg

Based on a one-year prime, who you want on your team.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
1. Chris Pronger
2. Eric Lindros
3. Bobby Clarke
4. Peter Forsberg

Now I know this is a subjective topic, but to have PRONGER at the top of the list is absurd. Even Forsberg on the list is ****ing retarded (based on 4 names that is)

I would have to say Bobby Clarke - He was the catalyst that the Flyers needed to make them who they are today. Of course he had his help. Parent would be a close 2nd.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
1. Chris Pronger
2. Eric Lindros
3. Bobby Clarke
4. Peter Forsberg

Lindros in his prime was FAR more of a force than Pronger was last year. Not only did he light it up on the scoreboard, but he was also literally beating the living crap out of the other team (Pronger is not that type of physical force anymore).

Old
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Now I know this is a subjective topic, but to have PRONGER at the top of the list is absurd. Even Forsberg on the list is ****ing retarded (based on 4 names that is)

I would have to say Bobby Clarke - He was the catalyst that the Flyers needed to make them who they are today. Of course he had his help. Parent would be a close 2nd.
It depends upon the definition of the word "BEST". Is it based on talent/skill alone? One season? Career? Body of work as an NHLer or solely as a Flyer?

Having thought some more since my first post above, I would put Mark Howe down as the Flyers' best d-man of all time. Pronger would be a close second unless he, too, takes the team to two SC Finals. Still, Clarke and Parent would be my top submissions for best Flyers ever.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
Lindros in his prime was FAR more of a force than Pronger was last year. Not only did he light it up on the scoreboard, but he was also literally beating the living crap out of the other team (Pronger is not that type of physical force anymore).
I take Lindros in his prime over anyone in their prime that has ever played for the flyers (with the excpetion of Todd Bergen, oh what could have been!). Dont know what the greatest really means, the most talented and dominating was Lindros.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Lindros may be the single most dominant hockey player ever to play. Problem is that span of time was pretty short.

Definitely the most all-around dominant hockey player I've ever seen (born in '87)

Edit: Answer to the original question is Clarke, with Parent as 1B. Clarke's the reason the franchise is what it is, for better or for worse.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Hence why other teams went after his (Lindros') knees. I still hate Ulf Samuelsson, Michel Petit, and Igor Ulanov for that crap. And Kasparaitis and Stevens for going after his head.

Were Lindros born 10 years later, he'd have the league protecting him and would be putting together astronomical numbers post-lockout. They sure as heck weren't worried about player protection so much a decade ago.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Not taking anything away from Bernie, to me Bobby Clarke is the epitome of a Flyer and the greatest Flyer. He personifies relentlessness and most of the catchphrases tried by recent Flyers PR people. His game combined skill, grit and heart and you rarely find that in one player.

Lindros was more talented though.
Here, here CG.

This x 2.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I take Lindros in his prime over anyone in their prime that has ever played for the flyers (with the excpetion of Todd Bergen, oh what could have been!). Dont know what the greatest really means, the most talented and dominating was Lindros.
The definition is up for grabs, but if "best" is defined your way (most talented and dominating), you are correct.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Nolan Baumgartner.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I was talking about one year based on their primes, regardless of whether or not their primes occurred in Philadelphia.

I misread what the opening post was asking for.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Hence why other teams went after his (Lindros') knees. I still hate Ulf Samuelsson, Michel Petit, and Igor Ulanov for that crap. And Kasparaitis and Stevens for going after his head.

Were Lindros born 10 years later, he'd have the league protecting him and would be putting together astronomical numbers post-lockout. They sure as heck weren't worried about player protection so much a decade ago.
I'm not sure the league would be all that protective of Lindros... part of Lindros' deal was that he was an evil s.o.b. himself, and there comes a point where fair is fair. It's easy to protect Crosby for league marketing... but then again, there aren't clips like this of Crosby:

Old
10-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
I was talking about one year based on their primes, regardless of whether or not their primes occurred in Philadelphia.

I misread what the opening post was asking for.
Even then it's debatable... Pronger has had a significantly better career, but it would be hard to convince me that at his apex Lindros wasn't the most dominant hockey player (as others have noted) that we've ever seen in all facets of the sport.

He had a four year run of 1.49, 1.52, 1.58, and 1.52 PPG... all while taking a LOT of PIMs (cutting into his time on ice a bit), and a lot of those were intimidation PIMs. He was both an enforcer, and the best offensive player in the league (only guy close being Jagr at that time).

Old
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Even then it's debatable... Pronger has had a significantly better career, but it would be hard to convince me that at his apex Lindros wasn't the most dominant hockey player (as others have noted) that we've ever seen in all facets of the sport.

He had a four year run of 1.49, 1.52, 1.58, and 1.52 PPG... all while taking a LOT of PIMs (cutting into his time on ice a bit), and a lot of those were intimidation PIMs. He was both an enforcer, and the best offensive player in the league (only guy close being Jagr at that time).
Lindros could pass, he could snipe, he could forecheck like a hellhound, and he could crush with his body. When he was on, he was nigh unstoppable. I think it was 1994 or 1995 (around the time of the mini-lockout) where he said the team needed him on the ice more than in the penalty box so he would try to cut down on the fighting. The Dan line (and similar goon lines), etc. was supposed to allow 88 to not fight as much.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Johnny Vermont!

Ok probably Bobby Clarke.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote