HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Flyer Ever?

Old
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Bryz4shiz

vCash: 500
I'll take the best defensive forward in the history of the game

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:32 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Lindros by far and away was the best. He did everything on the ice and came damn close to bringing a cup to philly as well. He was over a PPG player for almost the entirety of his Healthy career, in a very clutch and grab defensive game. He hit fought passed and shot and every time he was on the ice everyone was aware, and the flyers seemingly always had a shot at scoring.

I'm not old enough to have seen Bobby Clarke or Bernie or Mark Howe but from clips that I have seen, knowing it was a completely different game back then, I still think by far Lindros played in one of the hardest times to score in the league and put up better numbers then 99 pct of guys who have played all time, all while carrying a mean streak and being a prototypical flyer.

I read an article a while ago talking about his PPG production vs Ovechkin over a 5 year period. The numbers were really similar other then games played. Lindros had almost a hundred less games played but was only about 50 goals behind ovi and 10 assists behind him but he almost doubled his +/- and had around 1.4 PPG Ovi was close at 1.3 but them even being comparable is all I need to know as to who the best Flyer ever was. On top of that Lindros had Ovi Beat in every other aspect of the game PIMs Fights.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
I'll take the best defensive forward in the history of the game
Bob Gainey never played for the Flyers, did he?

Seriously, Bobby Clarke is the only possible answer to the OQ.

I loved Lindros and Parent too, but Bobby's the best.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Rico was considered a great d-man for the Flyers, his numbers: 738 games played, 93 goals, 303 assts, 396pts, +143.

Mark Howe: 594 GP, 138goals, 342assts, 480pts, +349.

Probably could be considered two of the best trades in franchise history too.
Given how you and I often mix like oil and water, I made light of it. Howe is one of my favorite-ever Flyers (and fave d-man), behind Poulin and Clarke. The trade of Brad McCrimmon is my least-favorite Flyers trade, ever.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Lindros by far and away was the best. He did everything on the ice and came damn close to bringing a cup to philly as well. He was over a PPG player for almost the entirety of his Healthy career, in a very clutch and grab defensive game. He hit fought passed and shot and every time he was on the ice everyone was aware, and the flyers seemingly always had a shot at scoring.

I'm not old enough to have seen Bobby Clarke or Bernie or Mark Howe but from clips that I have seen, knowing it was a completely different game back then, I still think by far Lindros played in one of the hardest times to score in the league and put up better numbers then 99 pct of guys who have played all time, all while carrying a mean streak and being a prototypical flyer.
The bold explains the severe disadvantage under which you operate, my young friend.

To get a sense of what Clarke was like as a player and a leader, think about Richards performance last year in the playoffs and multiply by 10. He willed the team to win the Cup by sheer determination.

Lindros certainly had a huge impact, and I have always been one of his biggest fans, but it's still Bobby....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Canucks fan here saying Bobby Clarke - unconditionally.

As a student at a hockey school I played against Clarke in a student/teachers game. The best students were chosen to play the instructors. I played defence. Clarke played against us students with just as much intensity and just as much nastiness as he ever played with in the NHL. He was sticking me, he speared me, and his stick was constantly flying by my head like a hatchet. Clarke was no longer a teacher; he was a player who was playing to win at all costs. He was a ****ing beast in the corners and way too much for a 13-14 year-old kid to handle. I'd love to think I held my own, but rather, I got owned. That's the most memorable thing I recall about Bobby Clarke. He didn't have a dial, he only had an off and on switch. If he was off the ice, the switch was off and Clarke was quiet and shy. If he stepped on to the ice, the switch went on and he became a beast. I got to know him fairly well and after that game I realized that the man had heart and had to win. Losing was not an option. His career, leadership and Stanley Cup rings speak for themselves.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Assuming Carter and Brendl were type-o's.
Brendl was a joke, but Carter is better than Primeau, no doubt.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
So my UPS guy asked me(a lifelong NYR fan) who I thought the best Flyer ever was, I told him Bernie Parent, he said Bobby Clarke...

Would anyone consider Lindros in his prime to be the best?

Now I ask the crew who should know best, not based on stats but just what they've seen....who is the best person to ever wear the sweater? ...AND WHY DO YOU SAY SO???
No. 16 PERIOD. It is not even close. He defined what a Flyer stands for.

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 10-26-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ADD TO ANSWER
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Brendl was a joke, but Carter is better than Primeau, no doubt.
Eh... better offensively... not sure he has a bigger hand in winning and losing games.

I think people forget how much of a force Primeau became under Hitch... was a beast down the middle for that team, and freed up some rather weak veterans to have way less defensive responsibility than they might have had otherwise.

That will change if Carter can get back to being that 40 goal force.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Bobby Clarke defined an NHL franchise, one of the most succesfull franchis's in the world. You say Flyers, and the first player anyone will ever mention will be Clarke.

That alone makes Clarke the "best Flyer"

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Babbage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
1. Chris Pronger
2. Eric Lindros
3. Bobby Clarke
4. Peter Forsberg

Based on a one-year prime, who you want on your team.
incorrect

Babbage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
XS Chop

Clarkie was the truest definition of a leader. He could have taken the '06 team to the finals on sheer will and determination. If Lindros had had an ounce of that the Flyers would have owned the entire decade back in the '90's, and I'm a huge Lindros fan. Not sure how to even describe it, he just was really that special, and without the physical gifts many of the all time greats had. One of a kind.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:20 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
I'd have to say Jody Shelley.
Jason Werth best flyer ever

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:20 PM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I take Lindros in his prime over anyone in their prime that has ever played for the flyers (with the excpetion of Todd Bergen, oh what could have been!). Dont know what the greatest really means, the most talented and dominating was Lindros.
his golf career was only dwarfed by his hockey career

Last edited by slapsht25: 10-26-2010 at 08:33 PM.
slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Black Ice

I'll go with my first thought and say Clarke.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:36 PM

All this talk of Parent is absurd. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan and all.....

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

For a single season I think you would also have to look at Leach and I am surprised there is not much mention of LeClair, at least not before some of these names.

I think I would go with Parent, we are talking about GREATNESS here and it does not get much greater than leading your team to two cups and being, however briefly, the most dominant goaltender to play for any team. Clarke was the face of the franchise and not only during his career but well after (he is still employed by the Flyers now).

If you were to say who had the best career, Clarke easily, who had the most talent, Lindros for sure. Who was the greatest DMan? Tie between Randy Jones and Chris Therien!!!

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Given how you and I often mix like oil and water, I made light of it. Howe is one of my favorite-ever Flyers (and fave d-man), behind Poulin and Clarke. The trade of Brad McCrimmon is my least-favorite Flyers trade, ever.
I am just pointing it out to some of the newcomers to Philly hockey who will always insist Eric Lindros is the greatest Flyer ever. He was a good player, but Howe and the teams of the 1980's were above and beyond the late 1990's Lindros led Flyers. I would put Tim Kerr and Eric Lindros in the same pool, great players who had a knack to get it done but injury cut things short.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
jb**

Quote:
I am just pointing it out to some of the newcomers to Philly hockey who will always insist Eric Lindros is the greatest Flyer ever. He was a good player, but Howe and the teams of the 1980's were above and beyond the late 1990's Lindros led Flyers. I would put Tim Kerr and Eric Lindros in the same pool, great players who had a knack to get it done but injury cut things short.
No he was a great player.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Since the thread title is pretty vague, If you were talking best flyer of all time, the only arguement is Clarke just because he basically defined his entire franchise to this day and is probably the best defensive forward ever, even considering his elite scoring and playmaking abilites. I would have Parent as a distant second.

If you want to talk the most dominant prime, I'm sure most people would agree that Big E from 94-98 was an unstoppable force.

However the greatest flyer in my eyes is always.... well, you can figure that out by looking under my avatar.

Last edited by SeanVT395: 10-27-2010 at 10:06 AM.
SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
No he was a great player.
Was Tim Kerr a "great player", as good as Lindros?

Old
10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
jb**

Quote:
Was Tim Kerr a "great player", as good as Lindros?
no he was not as good as Lindros.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
In my lifetime, Lindros easily.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
BernieParent

Definitions are necessary for such a discussion. I'd say Forsberg is the greatest talent to wear the O&B, followed closely by Pronger; however, they both played their best hockey elsewhere.

For greatest Flyer, I give another vote to Clarke, especially with the barriers he overcame (diabetes, etc.) to – like SeanVT395 said – define this franchise. Second, for me, is my namesake over Lindros. As dominant a player as he was, the off-ice crap with Lindros was a huge bit of baggage for the club.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
no he was not as good as Lindros.
Kerr in his prime was a great hockey player. He along with Cam Neely changed the fwd position.

Here are just some numbers to look at:
79GP; 54-39-93pts
74GP; 54-44-98pts
76GP; 58-26-84pts
75GP; 58-37-95pts
69GP; 48-40-88pts
458pts

And:
61GP; 41-34-75pts
65GP; 44-53-97pts
73GP; 47-68-115pts
63GP; 30-41-71pts
71GP; 40-53-93pts
451pts

So I took each players five best seasons and just totaled the numbers, looks pretty even just from a numbers standpoint.