HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2010, 10:32 PM
DJ Spinoza

vCash: 500
I've been to Sharp Edge 4 times in the last 5 days, and three times in the last three days. Tonight was half off craft beer drafts, which I didn't know until we were about to leave, unfortunately.

Old
10-06-2010, 08:02 AM

Coming in tonight for the games on Thurs and Sat. Does anyone know of an open skate or stick time that I can get to?

Old
10-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Dan Barr

The Iceoplex at Southpointe has sticktime on Thursdays at 3:30, I believe. You might check out RMU Island Sports Center and Ice Castle in Castle Shannon too. Where are you staying?

Old
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
I have a friend who just got relocated for work to Pittsburgh and needs a place to watch the Sabres play tomorrow and Saturday night. Any ideas of where in Pittsburgh is a great place to go that has guaranteed center ice, beer and good food? Thanks in advance.

Old
10-14-2010, 02:38 AM
heaven

nightlife is soming, lol..

Old
10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
The Benchwarmer

Coming over from the UK in Feb, so checking out a few places to eat etc.......wots wrong with Southside? I've heard a few ppl sticking their noses up about it, but didn't explain why....thoughts?

Old
10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
em1ss

Anyone know why LGP is dead and down?

Old
10-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Borgir

So where's the best place in Pittsburgh to watch the Penguin games when they are on the road? I am looking for a place to watch the TB game next week in Pittsburgh...

Old
10-21-2010, 10:20 AM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

I saw a variety pack of Magic Hat's, Night of the Living Dead yesterday and figured I'd try it. It featured 3 bottles of #9, ODD Nation (Fall 2010), HIPA, and Hex. I already had #9 before I can enjoy it but don't love it by any means. I tried the ODD Nation last night and I gotta say it was the most horrible thing I've ever tried in a long time. It had a nice sweet taste at first but as it's going down there's just this bitter, fruity concoction of chaos that just didn't mix well. The HIPA and Hex I was most interested in though, which I'll try tonight.

I finally found some Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale while I was at a distributor the one day. And after looking for a 6-pack for about a month I had enough faith to buy a case of it, but it figures the next time I went into a 6-pack store there's a bunch of it sitting right in my face. But anyways, it was worthy of buying a case. It was alot more rugged and stronger than I was expecting but good none-the-less.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post
So where's the best place in Pittsburgh to watch the Penguin games when they are on the road? I am looking for a place to watch the TB game next week in Pittsburgh...
Sorry, I missed this post for a while. I'd say FatHeads or somewhere like that would have the game on and has great food and drinks.

Old
10-21-2010, 01:51 PM
WVP

I don't watch games outside of my home too often, but the Bottleshop Cafe is pretty crazy for sports games. They have an HD TV (more likely a projector) that's pretty much the size of a wall, and crystal clear. Usually pretty attractive waitresses as well. About 10-15 minutes outside of the city, depending on where you're staying.

Old
10-21-2010, 01:53 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

I'm thinking about trying:

Back in Black IPA
Breckenridge - Vanilla Porter
Troegs - Java Head

next. Has anyone tried them?

Old
10-21-2010, 02:05 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I saw a variety pack of Magic Hat's, Night of the Living Dead yesterday and figured I'd try it. It featured 3 bottles of #9, ODD Nation (Fall 2010), HIPA, and Hex. I already had #9 before I can enjoy it but don't love it by any means. I tried the ODD Nation last night and I gotta say it was the most horrible thing I've ever tried in a long time. It had a nice sweet taste at first but as it's going down there's just this bitter, fruity concoction of chaos that just didn't mix well. The HIPA and Hex I was most interested in though, which I'll try tonight.

I finally found some Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale while I was at a distributor the one day. And after looking for a 6-pack for about a month I had enough faith to buy a case of it, but it figures the next time I went into a 6-pack store there's a bunch of it sitting right in my face. But anyways, it was worthy of buying a case. It was alot more rugged and stronger than I was expecting but good none-the-less.
Magic Hat does some weird things sometimes. Not one of my favorite breweries. Glad you liked the Indian Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'm thinking about trying:

Back in Black IPA
Breckenridge - Vanilla Porter
Troegs - Java Head

next. Has anyone tried them?
Java Head is good, I'm sure I've had the Breckenridge as I've been to their Denver and Grand Junction locations but I don't recall anything particular about it. Probably because I was drinking.

Old
10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
DJ Spinoza

Java Head is the only one of those I've had, but it's very good.

Old
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
phantommullet

Just tried the Southern Tier "Pumpking" for the first time. It was simply one of the best beers I've ever tasted. It's so damn expensive though. I guess I'm a really big fan of dessert beers. My favorite beer is Omengangs "Three Philosophers". It's a cherry Kriek thats 9 or 10% alcohol. What do you guys think of the other Southern Tier brews? Are they dessert beers as well?

Old
10-26-2010, 02:19 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

My favorite "domestic" is IC light. I'm guessing some Pittsburghers liken it to rain run-off. I'm a huge fan of Pumpkin seasonals; maybe to much so.

Has anyone ever tried "old chub"?

Old
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
JTG

I have never heard anyone say that they LIKE IC Light

Old
10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Borgir

So I finally made it into Pittsburgh yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed with the city so far. So many beautiful buildings, warm weather and friendly people. The Strip District was great and I am looking forward to staying here for the rest of the week. I can't believe how cheap EVERYTHING is here......

Old
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post
So I finally made it into Pittsburgh yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed with the city so far. So many beautiful buildings, warm weather and friendly people. The Strip District was great and I am looking forward to staying here for the rest of the week. I can't believe how cheap EVERYTHING is here......
Hence why it's the most livable city. One of the only places in the country where you can still get a house for 100,000 dollars

Old
10-26-2010, 07:34 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post

Has anyone ever tried "old chub"?
Oskar Blues Old Chub is an excellent beer. It's a Scottish Wee Heavy, which is sort of heavier than an ale but not a dark beer, if that makes any sense.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
I love my friends. My birthday came and went with an increased collection of Chimay, Arrogant *******, and Huckleberry Mead.

Old
10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantommullet View Post
Just tried the Southern Tier "Pumpking" for the first time. It was simply one of the best beers I've ever tasted. It's so damn expensive though. I guess I'm a really big fan of dessert beers. My favorite beer is Omengangs "Three Philosophers". It's a cherry Kriek thats 9 or 10% alcohol. What do you guys think of the other Southern Tier brews? Are they dessert beers as well?
Southern Tier has a few "normal" staples but they consistently have over the top seasonals available. Some are hop bombs or big stouts but many fall under the dessert beer category: Chocklat, Javah, Mokah, plus their Creme Brulee is about as "dessert" as it gets.

Old
10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I love my friends. My birthday came and went with an increased collection of Chimay, Arrogant *******, and Huckleberry Mead.
I had my first experience with Arrogant ******* not too long ago. It turned me into a man, that's for sure. You know how the saying goes, "it'll put hair on your chest?" When I was done...

Old
10-27-2010, 11:02 PM
DJ Spinoza

Next, try Double Arrogant *******. It will turn you into an old man, and then kill you.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

So what are people favorite Winter Ales? I saw seen Mad Elf and Old Man Winter from Southern Tier last week. Are they any good?

Closed Thread