HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks will move Bieksa ASAP

Old
10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
keslehr*

vCash: 500
Can a Habs fan give me a scouting report on Maxwell? And for that matter, O'Byrne too... I don't know much about him, other that he's a #6-7 D.

This deal would give us a lot of D depth in case of a mass injury bug that is common around here. After the top 6, there'd be Rome, Parent, Sweatt, O'Byrne, Paetsch and Baumgartner (hopefully not). Plus it fills out our forward corps very nicely, with Malholtra and Moen becoming the basis of the third line just as Raymond-Kesler and the Sedins are for the top two lines. Hansen, Torres would probably slot in there and possibly Schaefer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
It is easily the best 3-team trade proposal I have ever seen on this board. I'm not being sarcastic, no other 3-team deal comes close. Add an ok prospect or something here and there (to Van probably) and it would be perfect.
Thanks dude. I knew I was onto something, as it bails out two teams cap-wise and gives another a serviceable top-9 forward.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
There was a really good 3 way trade from a while ago, it went something like:

Caps get:
Bieksa

Preds get:
Fleischmann

Nucks get:
Someone, I don't remember, I think Lucbourdon did it? But I can't really recall.
I'm pretty sure it was Joel Ward, along with either a prospect D, or Jared Smithson. I'm 100% Ward was included in the deal.

Elbows of Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokkien View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Joel Ward, along with either a prospect D, or Jared Smithson. I'm 100% Ward was included in the deal.
Yeah that sounds about right

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokkien View Post
Joel Ward and Jerred Smithson.

Oh, and it was generally agreed the Canucks would be getting a pick as well.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Finnish Your Czechs

I liked the deal Caps fans were pitching.

Bieksa for Steckel, Gustafsson and a 3rd.

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:08 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCiarniello View Post

Didn't he just kind of retire? I'm sure Washington would have no problem with that trade then...

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Ho Borvat

I liked the Smithson/Ward trade, but I think that was before they went and got Torres and Schaefer (not saying they are the same, but they filled out the bottom 6).

As for the Moen trade I like it, but feel value is slightly off Vans way.

Where would people rate O'Byrne in terms of Alberts, Rome, Parent?

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCiarniello View Post

Gustafsson is out of hockey right now, has struggled with injuries IIRC.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
would love moen on the canucks.

Canucks can take Darche or Pyatt so that the cap works for MTL and then waive said player.
Take Darche and you have a deal.

I like Moen, but Langenbrunner would add some scoring depth to the Habs.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
keslehr*

So:

to

Moen
O'Bryne

to

Langenbrunner

to

Bieksa
Desbiens

Devils waive Salvador when he comes off LTIR.

Last edited by keslehr*: 10-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.
keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:18 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
I liked the Smithson/Ward trade, but I think that was before they went and got Torres and Schaefer (not saying they are the same, but they filled out the bottom 6).

As for the Moen trade I like it, but feel value is slightly off Vans way.

Where would people rate O'Byrne in terms of Alberts, Rome, Parent?
Yep, the three-way with Nashville was proposed before the Torres signing, which kind of killed it for me. Now, however, I would consider it again. A bottom six of

Torres Malhotra Ward
Schaefer Smithson Hansen

looks pretty good to me. Hansen and Torres could be switched, and Schaefer could be switched out as well. It may be worth noting that Smithson is currently second to Malhotra in faceoffs -- helps us far more than would O'Byrne, for example.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post
Why's that? I don't really know anything about him, but his stats don't look very impressive. He's been a - player every year he's been in the league, he's not that big, he can't take faceoffs, and he's only good for a half dozen goals per year.

What am I missing here? Is he great on the PK? Shootouts? Fighting?
Moen spent most of his career matched up against other teams' top lines while playing on 3rd/4th lines that don't generate a lot of offense, which explains his +/-. If you shut down Ovechkin 49 shifts out of 50 but he scores on you on that 50th shift, that's still a -1 for you. Just another in the long list of reasons why +/- is a sketchy stat at best.

Quote:
I like him because he's a higher-end fourth liner who has a playoff pedigree, is effective on the forecheck, defensively responsible, and has a nice physical aspect to his game. The fact he logs quite a lot of short-handed time is a bonus.
This is a good summary of Moen's game. The only complaint I have is that I wish he played angrier more often - he'll stand up for his teammates or fight when he's challenged, but he's not much of an instigator. He's not indispensible but he's a good guy to have on your team.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This is a good summary of Moen's game. The only complaint I have is that I wish he played angrier more often - he'll stand up for his teammates or fight when he's challenged, but he's not much of an instigator. He's not indispensible but he's a good guy to have on your team.
Yeah, he's basically solid. You can rely on him to be himself basically every night, which is good. But in Montreal I don't think we've seen any of the flashes of slightly more than that which got Moen his reputation/premium salary from the old Anaheim playoff run days.

I also wish he'd be a bit "angrier". He uses his size adequately, but not aggressively. He doesn't back away from any challenges, but he doesn't seem to go looking for them either. He goes to the net when he's in the neighbourhood, but he doesn't make a beeline for it. Stuff like that. He's a good player in his role, but I think he'd be a better one if he was "angrier".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
So:
Moen
O'Bryne
vs.
Langenbrunner
Just from the Habs POV, I'd roll the dice on this one. I'd ask my pro scouts first about what they've seen in Langenbrunner's decline. But if there are no serious issues and at least some hope he can rebound as a 20-goal/40-50pt kind of player, then I'm all for this. This is $2.5M for $2.8M, and we can afford that. It's taking our only large/physical forward out of the lineup in Moen, but hopefully replacing him with a guy that brings some life on our 2nd line, our biggest team need right now.

O'Byrne is being undervalued by Martin, and he'll benefit nicely somewhere from a change in scenery, probably; but if it's inevitable that we have to move him, I'd rather do it like this in a gutsy gamble that tries to address our biggest need, rather than in some piddling little depth/draft pick castaway deal.

SOLD!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Teezax

Bieksa to Philly makes no sense... unless of course we were shipping a defenceman back.
Hodgson is interesting though.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Yep, the three-way with Nashville was proposed before the Torres signing, which kind of killed it for me. Now, however, I would consider it again. A bottom six of

Torres Malhotra Ward
Schaefer Smithson Hansen

looks pretty good to me. Hansen and Torres could be switched, and Schaefer could be switched out as well. It may be worth noting that Smithson is currently second to Malhotra in faceoffs -- helps us far more than would O'Byrne, for example.
You know, I actually do really like that still. I guess I didn't visualize the lines in my head. I might lean towards putting Glass in instead of Schaefer but I do like it. It is a small 4th line but wow, does it ever look good.

I think Moen would be better than Ward, however Smithson>O'Byrne. It would be nice to be able ice a bottom 6 like that come playoffs. Instead of a 4th line, you essentially have 3 different checking lines (Keslers line, Malhotras line and that 4th line I would feel fine with any of them being on the ice at any time).

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
medhatcanuck

Breaking News:
I heard from the tinklefairy last night that one of the deals Burke recieved was

TOR: Bieksa, Hodgson, 2nd in 2012, 2nd in 2013

VAN: Thomas Kaberle

Tinklefairy said it gives Tor another .5 mil in cap space and gives them 3 assets to choose to keep or use in another trade. Vancouver will get their top pairing dman, who is part of an overcrowded blueline in Toronto. (could you imagine all the offense created by Beauch and Bieksa as a pairing? in their own end mind you)

The tinklefairy also said that the "Canucks will be moving a depth defenceman and pick for a certain Detroit center who has been spending some time in the AHL."
Tinklefairy's last remark was about a emminent deal with Montreal that sends Moen to Vancouver, details to follow

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:26 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Breaking News:
I heard from the tinklefairy last night that one of the deals Burke recieved was

TOR: Bieksa, Hodgson, 2nd in 2012, 2nd in 2013

VAN: Thomas Kaberle
I'm still laughing.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by walgrove View Post
What about this trade which I think will help all teams involved:
3 way Vcr-Mtl-Philly

1)Montreal gets Luongo and Bieksa (cap hit around 9 million). Bieksa adds grit they need and Luongo would only waive his no trade/movement to his hometown where his parents live

2)Philly gets: Hamrlik,Rypien, Hodgson, Mtl first 2011,Vcr 1st round 2011 and choice of prospect in Mtl organization and benefits from some cap relief they really need. Cap hit around $6M and Hamrlik off books end of year. Gives them room at trade deadline to accept cap heavy contract

3) Vancouver gets Carter, Price and Carcillo Cap hit around 8.5M

Sedin-Sedin- Burrows
Raymond-Carter-Kesler
Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Hansen-Tambellini/Bolduc-Carcillo

We add grit, youth at goalie position for years and best top 6 in the league IMO...
Why have Carcillo and Rypien involved ? Trading away a center so the grossly undersized Tambillinni has to play it ?

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Why have Carcillo and Rypien involved ? Trading away a center so the grossly undersized Tambillinni has to play it ?
That is you're concern? Hodgson, Bieksa, Luongo and Rypien for Carcillo, Price and Carter? No way from Vancouver.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Bieksa to Philly makes no sense... unless of course we were shipping a defenceman back.
Hodgson is interesting though.
Cory Schneider certainly makes a lot of sense; he's looked better than Luongo in his (limited) starts.

And I really think people are overvaluing Bieksa. Not because of his play just that when a player's pay exceeds their skill, their value plummets and then toss in that the Canucks have to trim salary to fit under the cap soon, the return is dropped even further.

Other GMs are well aware of the situation and are not going to be offering much. Lookit the Canuck's acquisition of Erhoff.

It's a fire sale when a team is pushing against that cap !

Old
10-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Hawkaholic

I'm starting to think Vancouver isn't going to get much in return for Bieksa, and may even have to waive him. I mean, who wants a Dman who can't put up points, or defend properly and makes $3.75mil?

The only thing he has going for Vancouver is that he's a UFA at the end of the year, so a team might trade a pick or prospect and take a chance on him.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
That is you're concern? Hodgson, Bieksa, Luongo and Rypien for Carcillo, Price and Carter? No way from Vancouver.
It was just one flaw in a series of flaws; I didn't think I had to point out the obvious.

At the same time it's just completely useless to have those players in there.. ..the trade is:

Hodgson, Bieksa, Luongo for Price and Carter...

Last edited by Christina Woloski: 10-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
DFAC

Malhotra and Smithson as the Canucks 3C and 4C would be an insane faceoff tandem.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I'm starting to think Vancouver isn't going to get much in return for Bieksa, and may even have to waive him. I mean, who wants a Dman who can't put up points, or defend properly and makes $3.75mil?

The only thing he has going for Vancouver is that he's a UFA at the end of the year, so a team might trade a pick or prospect and take a chance on him.
DING DING DING ! We have a wiennnner !

This is the situation, then add in that the Canucks have to shed some salary and you don't get squat in terms of offers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cory Schneider involved in a deal, but you HAVE to take Bieksa with him and return a good defenseman.