HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

possibly a really silly question...

Old
10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
You didn't make it, it was a good game today. it's on Fri too but a few of us won't be there.
Yeah sorry about that, we ended up doing something else at lunch. Is it on Tuesdays? I have practice there tonight so I guess I could check.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Yeah sorry about that, we ended up doing something else at lunch. Is it on Tuesdays? I have practice there tonight so I guess I could check.

No worries.

It's Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

Your team doesn't limit your ability to skate?

I understand that allot of teams don't want the guys to skate open hockey / Shinny because of the chance of injury.

I don't know if Keith Action (Stouffville Clippers Arena) has stick and puck. I'll get your Schedule from the WC/SV MHA and bring my son up see a game. He is a Waxer goalie though

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Sorry NJDwoot,

it seems like myself and two others hijacked your post.

it will stop now.

Old
10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
duul

Quote:
No worries.

It's Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

Your team doesn't limit your ability to skate?

I understand that allot of teams don't want the guys to skate open hockey / Shinny because of the chance of injury.

I don't know if Keith Action (Stouffville Clippers Arena) has stick and puck. I'll get your Schedule from the WC/SV MHA and bring my son up see a game. He is a Waxer goalie though
Don't think they do, I'm not playing junior so I don't think they care that much. We play all of our games at the old rink (thank god), and most practices too. Our next one is Friday night at 9 on Pad A, so feel free to come by, I'm #20.

What level does your son play at? I know we had some great rivalries with Markham throughout the years hahaha.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Don't think they do, I'm not playing junior so I don't think they care that much. We play all of our games at the old rink (thank god), and most practices too. Our next one is Friday night at 9 on Pad A, so feel free to come by, I'm #20.

What level does your son play at? I know we had some great rivalries with Markham throughout the years hahaha.
he is Minor-Atom AE #35 the 2 losses he has this year he was beaten by his team. The D tips one in on him every other game and they like to play net and screen him once in a while, Or they let 3 on 0 in on a breakaway he makes the first save then no one is there to sweep it away.

Aww I'm just whining I should have put him in the GTHL AA.

As for your game My boy has a power skating class at Canlan Scar. and I have a 11:55 PM game at Canlan Vic Park so it might be a bit much for us this weekend. PM me the link to your schedule and I'll see what we can do.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:28 PM
TEAM Slow Pitch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TEAM Slow Pitch
Skating with your head up is the biggest thing. Being new to the game you'll always want your head down looking at the puck. Also, the biggest thing is "hockey sense" which unfortunately only comes with time.

TEAM Slow Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
NJDwoot

Quote:
Sorry NJDwoot,

it seems like myself and two others hijacked your post.

it will stop now.
lol its all good. I got what I needed. =)

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:22 PM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
lol its all good. I got what I needed. =)
You know in our league that half the people can't stop well or even at all (myself included). Sometimes the only thing that stops us is the boards or another body, and in one instance the goal post/net stopped me... I think that game was against you guys, even!

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:32 AM
greyraven8

besides the chasing of the puck and lack of positional play at the lower levels there is also the fact that many have played little to no contact hockey and play a lot of 'heads down' hockey. i'm as guilty as the next in some ways - making passes that would be suicide in contact hockey (haven't played contact hockey in a couple decades).

several of the lesser players have no clue of what positional hockey is or basic zone coverage. if you are stuck played with a defensive partner like that you have to change you game to fill the holes he makes chasing the puck and wandering around and play more conservatively both defensively and offensively.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post

it generally is when I'm turning and they are turning we end up turning into each other... or one turns into the skating path of the other. Anyone else have this problem ?
Ok, I have read the majority of the responses here on this thread. But, I not sure this was said...sorry if I missed it. Yes, learning this comes with experience. However, this is something that needs to be taught and this comes directly from your coach. This has everything to do with learning systems.

Ok, here's what I tell my players. This might help you or it might not because everyone on your team needs to know this in order for it to work...you ready?

"The player without the puck....goes behind!"

What! This means that if you have the puck and you are crossing skating lanes, from one lane to the other, the player without the puck GOES BEHIND YOU as you cross over to the other lane....always! Not maybe or once in a while....ALWAYS!

Ok, what about regrouping? Re-what! If the puck is up against the boards and you are the winger in a foot race between you and the other winger on the other team, once you get there first....what do you do with the puck?

Now think about this....what do you do with the puck? Remember, be honest, you are under pressure....what do you do with the puck once it's on your stick?

Most players freak out and throw the puck in the direction they are trying to advance thinking for some reason that it is a football game and they are going to get sometype of face off due to yardage gained. But here a question...."How many player on the other team are hanging out with your defenseman? Yes that right....none!

So, if you get to the puck, you always send it back to your defenseman and then regroup. Now, during the regroup is when players have a tendency to run into each other. So how do you resolve this? Easy! Again this is where your coach comes in...systems!

Now, look at this picture below...

Ok, you will see that these are the skating lanes above. Some coaches like to call them passing lanes. But, passing planes can really be anywhere, and some coaches get the terminology mixed up....but that ok, just understand that they mean this picture above.

So, you see that there are three skating lanes that start and end right above the face off circle at both ends. Now depending on your coach, he might use a an "On Wing Regroup" or an "Off Wing Regroup". If he doesn't....fine, I do! This way I don't get my players killed. Here's how they work.

Off Wing Regroup...

Ok, you will see that the left winger got there first and sent it back to his defenseman. Well, you will see that when the defenseman gets it, it goes..."D to D". This is the key indicator! In a "Off Wing Regroup", the off winger, which is the right winger at the point of contact with the puck, moves deep and goes from "off wing" to on wing during the puck support. The other two wingers move over one skating lane each, in the direction of the "D to D" pass. Plus, you will see that the receiving player immediately cross over to the next skating lane. This help eliminate or reduces the "Dead man" pass (aka: blind pass)

On Wing Regroup

Ok, you will see that the puck supporting winger (Left) is the player that goes deep in the direction of the "D to D" pass. The other two wings go in the opposite direction of the pass. Pretty easy isn't it!

Now, I have each line do a different regroup. This way we mix it up a little bit so that the other team doesn't catch on. But, there are some pretty smart coaches out there.

Ok, now, this should help. Remember....player without the puck goes behind when crossing lanes...this will keep you safe!

Head coach