HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with our erratic team philosophy?

Old
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan

vCash: 500
What's with our erratic team philosophy?

What I seemed to be hearing a lot in the other thread (What moves brought about our Downfall?) are a lot of claims that our team philosophy is unstable, changing from one season to the next. (There was also a lot of preditable Murray-Mucks debate which was not my intent).

It seems evident to me that this is becasue of a loss of:

Team Identity

We don't have a dominant, powerful player to give our team an identity, and IMO, it's the players that give a team its identity (not Muckler, not Murray). If you have a player that is extremely dynamic, excels in a certain area of the game, and has a strong, almost commanding personality, their philosophy spreads throughout the entire team, granting it an identity.

We don't have such a player anymore. Alfie is getting too old; that competitive drive and aggressive nature he had as a young player is beginning to settle down. Spezza is one of my favourite players, but he doesn't have that fierce, determined personality to give a team an identity.

06/07 Lose to the ducks, thereby not tough enough --> tough, slower defence
09/10 Not enough defensive mobility --> All mobility
10/11 Too much mobility on D, not enough D --> Shut down defenseman

The question is, how do you think a team's identity is created? And if you do believe in the players providing identity, how do we find ouridentity-player or do we already have him?

Last edited by Anaxagoras: 10-26-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Lexicon Devil

"Team identity"... sounds like a BS concept, sorry. If you think the team is lacking in a certain department (e.g. too slow, too soft) then fine, but this talk about "granting an identity" and "identity-player" sounds a little ridiculous.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
The Fuhr*

Top teams have an identity

Detroit - puck possession
Washington - run and gun
Chicago - puck possession
New Jersey - Trap (though they want to switch to run and gun)
Philly - puck possession
etc

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
What I seemed to be hearing a lot in the other thread (What moves brought about our Downfall?) are a lot of claims that our team philosophy is unstable, changing from one season to the next. (There was also a lot of preditable Murray-Mucks debate which was not my intent).

It seems evident to me that this is becasue of a loss of:

Team Identity

We don't have a dominant, powerful player to give our team an identity, and IMO, it's the players that give a team its identity (not Muckler, not Murray). If you have a player that is extremely dynamic, excels in a certain area of the game, and has a strong, almost commanding personality, their philosophy spreads throughout the entire team, granting it an identity.

We don't have such a player anymore. Alfie is getting too old; that competitive drive and aggressive nature he had as a young player is beginning to settle down. Spezza is one of my favourite players, but he doesn't have that fierce, determined personality to give a team an identity.

The question is, how do you think a team's identity is created? And if you do believe in the players providing identity, how do we find ouridentity-player or do we already have him?
When your winning they say Murray is patching the holes and making moves that are called for, when we're losing he's reactive and doesn't know how to build.

We don't have that player, Alfie started it all, he led by example and we got pretty lucky finding him where we did. I think anyone expecting Spezza to just take on Alfie's role as the teams leader without major hiccups is just kidding themselves...thats not knocking him...a captain like Alfredsson is tough to find...for many years I think we took that for granted no matter how much we praised him.

We're heading for a new era and inorder to be what we used to be it's likely going to require finding impact players beyond the high end of the draft..like we did with Hossa, Alfie, Havlat and to a lesser extent Fisher and Vermette.

I think people in Ottawa forget just how hard it is to build a winner...sure we benefited from picks like Yashin, Philips, Redden but it was our ability to find guys like Hossa, Havlat, Fisher, Vermette as the team crawled out of the basement that really made us take off.

With what we have in the pool right now for example...were relying on a guy like Silfverberg to become an all star and Cowen to become a premiere shutdown defensemen...and then some after these guys. Is it realistic? In our history, we've seen that becoming a contender requires that some of your draft picks beat several of the players taken ahead of them.

Given where we are right now (and where we are heading) I think it may require a star player at the top of the draft to get things rolling...and perhaps spark a new era.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

How hard it is to draft and develop a winner too.

There used to be teams that would willingly trade away top picks and prospects for elite players in their primes. But no teams adopts that strategy anymore. Everyone is hoarding their picks like we are.

Sure a couple 2nd rounders can get us two key pieces for the playoffs, and if we're not in the playoffs we can trade 2 great players for a couple of 2nd rounders or a late 1st that 95% of the scouts predict wont amount to more than a Chris Campoli. But it takes several years on top of some luck to get key core players.

Imagine if we could add a Chara, Heatley, Havlat. Well we may have one. We might be able to draft another one soon. And then an offer sheet, trade, suddenly developed prospect can take us over the top. We arent that far away. And a new identity will come with it, and because of Murray, character will be a big part of that identity.

But we are missing core young players yes, to have a getz perry, a kane toews, a carter richards, you cant plan a strategy to draft them, you have to wait. And they wont be useful until you can add them to a backend with the right role players.

The forwards missing will be last to be drafted because they can usually come in the quickest.

In the meantime, walk into the Sens dressing room and tell the players you would rather they lose for a few years while we wait for draft picks.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
I fully agree with the OP and Fuhr.

In the Muck years the team clearly had identity: skill and skill and more skill.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Section ThirtyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

Washington - run and gun
Philly - puck possession
etc
Totally agree.

Anyone notice that when we were playing our best last year, the team actually had an identity? We were known for our extremely hard forecheck and cycling along the boards.

This year we seem to have got away from that for whatever reason, and we're suffering as a result.

Section ThirtyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:19 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

Washington - run and gun
Philly - puck possession Filthbag
etc
yes, and we've lost ours !

But we'll have it back when we get a scoring right winger for Spezza + having Cowen

Then they'll know, they'll know(!) where the center of the hockey universe is!!!

These other teams are only fit for us to use as sparring dummies !!!

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote