HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out Of Town Thread part XIII (All non Habs related news here) ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
  #1
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,265
vCash: 500
The Out Of Town Thread part XIII (All non Habs related news here) ‎

Here's the link to part XII http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=825977

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
  #2
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,949
vCash: 500
What do you guys think of M.A Fleury?

Johnson so far(yes I know it's really early, but still good for discussion)

4-0-1
1.39 GAA
.950 Sv%

Fleury is

1-3-0
3.25 GAA
.859 Sv%

I personally never liked Fleury. He is way too inconsistent and is clearly overpaid. He had a great year in 07-08, regessed a bit in 08-09, but followed that up with a good playoff run. He really loooked like he had start to come around, but last year and so far this year, he's looked below average. It seems like at this point in his career Fleury's good play has been the exception rather than the rule. Also, his best seasons came when the Pens were just dominant so it's hard to determine whether it was him playing good or just a result of the team. Even though I don't like him much, I still think it's the former, but I'm sure the pens being a great team helped.

They really need to unload him so that they can spend money on some wingers. Pens win games despite not having their goalie play a #1, so why not just get a "2nd tier" goalie and use the money for wingers since Fleury has played more like a 2nd tier goalie most of his career rather than a #1 and the pens have done just fine.

I know it's not easy to just replace a 5 million dollar slumping goalie, but the pens should look into it as they really need that cap space.

Andy is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
  #3
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
My problem with Fleury, back in the days, is the same problem I think Carey still has to work on but as far as Fleury is concerned, it's so evident...he overcommits so much and he moves a lot. But by moving, I don't mean the "good" moves. He moves for nothing. Not square to the shot. 'Cause when he has it, the guy might have the fastest legs in the NHL. But technically, right now, he has so much trouble. Still there's something we will never be able to remove from him....his cup ring. Might not mean he will end up being one of the greatest goalie ever...far from it. But at one point and time, he was able to be great when it counted the most.

But I agree that right now....struggle is not strong enough.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
  #4
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My problem with Fleury, back in the days, is the same problem I think Carey still has to work on but as far as Fleury is concerned, it's so evident...he overcommits so much and he moves a lot. But by moving, I don't mean the "good" moves. He moves for nothing. Not square to the shot. 'Cause when he has it, the guy might have the fastest legs in the NHL. But technically, right now, he has so much trouble. Still there's something we will never be able to remove from him....his cup ring. Might not mean he will end up being one of the greatest goalie ever...far from it. But at one point and time, he was able to be great when it counted the most.

But I agree that right now....struggle is not strong enough.
Yah I totally get what you mean in regards to the moving around too much in regards to Price and Fleury. It seems to be of a problem in Fleury. I also find Fleury's puck tracking to be quite poor sometimes, especially when the play is behind his net. When I look at Fleury I see a goalie not confident in himself(his ability). I just find that the 07-08 season and the playoff run the following year were exceptions rather than rules. I just think he should be moved so that the Pens can use that money elsewhere. Fleury hasn't played better than a goalie like Niemi or Ellis, may as well go get goalies of that calibre and use the savings to get decent wingers because the stronger the team is in front of the goalie, the less you need rely on him. I think the Pens really need to take that approach because their D is quite good and their center position is the best in the league, but their wings are quite brutal and are really preventing them from being what I think can be a dynasty. They really do have what it takes. Imagine what they can do with a couple of scoring wingers ala Versteeg and Sharp? Kunitz, Comrie, Dupuis and Talbot don't cut it.

Though Tangradi looks like he can be of help in that department in a couple of years.

Andy is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
  #5
mvp76
Registered User
 
mvp76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: planet earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
another solid showing so far for this Anders Lindback fella.. 6,6! Nashville got two BIG goalies

mvp76 is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
  #6
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
anyone looking for out of town games. I found this, any Veetle options seem to work well.

http://www.hockeyliveonline.com/

Player 61 is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
  #7
Davebo
beep beep
 
Davebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,843
vCash: 500
I can't believe we let this devils team into our heads and beat us 3-0 the other night. What a garbage team they are. Shake your heads, boys...

Davebo is online now  
Old
10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
  #8
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
San Jose getting ripped a new one by Calgary tonight, 4-0 in the first.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
  #9
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,777
vCash: 500
kovalchuk leading all Devils forwards in ice time after two periods. Doghouse no longer I guess.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 08:38 PM
  #10
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Devils now 2-6-1.

Over/under 5 games for MacLean to get fired?

Coldplay is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
  #11
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Devils now 2-6-1.

Over/under 5 games for MacLean to get fired?
I don't know, he doesn't have much to work with. The Kovalchuk deal was beyond stupid. They don't have a very good team especially with guys like Volchenkov out.

They have too many players to iffy deals like Rolston and Zubrus that prevent them from being better than they could be.

Their system and Brodeur has saved face for the last couple of years, but Brodeur looks like he's starting to slow down. I know it's only a few games, but his last few playoffs have been pretty brutal and anti-brodeur.

with the money they spent on Kovalchuk, they could have created a massive defense core to complement their system, instead they overpaid for a player that has never played in a system and has been a burden on the cap.

I think the problem is past coaching, I could be wrong because with teh Devils you never know, but I really do think that this year is the year.

Andy is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
  #12
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Devils now 2-6-1.

Over/under 5 games for MacLean to get fired?
Todd ****ing Richards will be fired before him and anyone else.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 09:26 PM
  #13
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,091
vCash: 500
can't believe we lost against NJ. embarrassing to say the least. everybody else seems to know how to play them, get motivated for them except us

Hugo Sham is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
  #14
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,934
vCash: 500
Bourque is on fire 5 goals and an assist in 2 games hehe

E = CH² is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
  #15
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Not only do we always lose to NJ but most of the time they come into our building and look flawless. They score early, suck the life out of us with a suffocating forecheck and defense and Marty rarely breaks a sweat. I was telling someone after the game that they'd probably go back to looking like amateurs on Saturday. I didn't even know if or who they were playing but of course they end up getting ****-pumped at home. **** I hate the Devils.

Ross MacLochness is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 11:01 PM
  #16
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I don't know, he doesn't have much to work with. The Kovalchuk deal was beyond stupid. They don't have a very good team especially with guys like Volchenkov out.

They have too many players to iffy deals like Rolston and Zubrus that prevent them from being better than they could be.

Their system and Brodeur has saved face for the last couple of years, but Brodeur looks like he's starting to slow down. I know it's only a few games, but his last few playoffs have been pretty brutal and anti-brodeur.

with the money they spent on Kovalchuk, they could have created a massive defense core to complement their system, instead they overpaid for a player that has never played in a system and has been a burden on the cap.

I think the problem is past coaching, I could be wrong because with teh Devils you never know, but I really do think that this year is the year.
I thought it was a bad trade to begin with last year, as most of them involving a high valued player at the deadline usually is. I felt they gave a lot with Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a 1st. I thought they crippled themselves on Defense by doing that and gave up a lot of good depth.

The contract was beyond ridiculous. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the 17years rumor. Coming from Lou, I simply did not see this being true.

But I think this deal also had to do with the fact Brodeur should retire in the next couple years. NJ without a superstar would attract even less people. I think this played a role in Lou's decision. I don't think it was solely hockey related.

The Devils need to revamp completely. I think they messed up. I also think they should look for Brodeur's replacement. They don't want to be stuck like Colorado was after Roy retired.

What I don't understand though is why Kovalchuk was a healthy scratched 2 games ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
can't believe we lost against NJ. embarrassing to say the least. everybody else seems to know how to play them, get motivated for them except us
Well, Martin really crapped the bed for that game.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
  #17
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Nashville 15:04, Sergei Kostitsyn 1 (Nick Spaling, Jerred Smithson)
2nd Period

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
  #18
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Nashville 15:04, Sergei Kostitsyn 1 (Nick Spaling, Jerred Smithson)
2nd Period
Is Spaling looking good out there?

Kenny Powders is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 07:50 AM
  #19
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,988
vCash: 500
Gauthier should call Lou,hey is that Zajac guy available?

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
  #20
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
I have no doubt the Devils will recover and be dominant at some point this year, with or without Mclean. They have a great core of players up front.

Frankenheimer is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:25 PM
  #21
dfk711*
The real #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Finland
Posts: 20,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I have no doubt the Devils will recover and be dominant at some point this year, with or without Mclean. They have a great core of players up front.
Yeah, they might even be like the Flyers last year and be out of the playoff race until a coaching change gives them new life.

dfk711* is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
  #22
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
Yeah, they might even be like the Flyers last year and be out of the playoff race until a coaching change gives them new life.
They won't get anywhere in the playoffs without a dominant two-way D. They haven't since Neidermayer and Rafalski left.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 02:49 PM
  #23
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,435
vCash: 700

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
  #24
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I came in this thread with the intention of posting that video..

You guys should watch the video above. Hilarious!

Stradale is offline  
Old
10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
  #25
Garry Valk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,803
vCash: 500
L'Artiste scores his first goal.

Garry Valk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.