HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ennis wins the Calder this season

Old
10-09-2010, 05:41 PM
GrierIsGod123

vCash: 500
I don't get why some people are saying that we had no chemistry last night. I thought all four lines looked good and will only get better. Ennis was fine. For each time he may have fumbled a pass or whatever, he'd make a sneaky/dangerous play. The kid is not going to be perfect on every shift...but he will find a way to create some sort of offense in nearly every game. If anything, the worst line was Connolly with Vanek and Pommers. Vanek created most of his quality chances on the PP. I'd personally rather see an Ennis Roy Vanek line, but I'm certainly not upset about the lines that Lindy is using.

Also, I do think Gerbe can still play on our 4th line. Like it or not, he's an energy player, albeit a very skilled one. He has the ability to swing momentum and can add some offensive punch (if needed) to a Gaustad and Kaleta combo. If you posted a poll on Gerbe or Ennis on the mainboard, it'd probably be much closer to 100% than 60% in favor of Ennis. Ennis is a very highly touted prospect around the league right now. He's up in the same conversation with Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and Seguin in terms of best rookie forwards. Meanwhile, Gerbe is a much more underrated prospect that gets little respect because he's literally the shortest player in the league.

GrierIsGod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Briere was one of Ennis' boyhood idols when he was a small but skilled player growing up in Edmonton. Pronger had been in the NHL since Ennis was 4 years old.

"It was cool just seeing them," Ennis said after practice Monday in HSBC Arena. "I was like, 'Wow. This is pretty crazy. This is pretty cool.'"
Quote:
Ennis looks young but carries himself like a veteran, maturity that comes across in his demeanor if not his appearance. He hasn't been overly impressed with his own play, is not surprised by his success and knows he can improve. He should kick his habit of overhandling the puck with a few twirls around the league.

"He has confidence in himself and his abilities," veteran winger Mike Grier said. "He's never in awe of a situation. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where he doesn't think he can succeed. He thinks he's going to go in there and beat the guy and score. He wants the puck. In a lot of young guys, that's rare."

The next step is making quicker decisions against better players and maintaining consistency. Ennis is slippery like a young Briere, only with a left-handed shot that's still in early stages of development, and plays bigger than his frame. All he needs is more strength, weight and playing time.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle230983.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Ya Sabretip, read the article today as well. If Adams is his center tonight, I see all kinds of good from these 2 together. To me, in any event, the only thing missing from this line is Kassian on RW.

Ennis (LW) - Adams (C) - Kassian (RW)
This will be a dominant line for the Buffalo Sabres. In my humble opinion, it should be this seasons Line 3 already.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Ya Sabretip, read the article today as well. If Adams is his center tonight, I see all kinds of good from these 2 together. To me, in any event, the only thing missing from this line is Kassian on RW.

This will be a dominant line for the Buffalo Sabres. In my humble opinion, it should be this seasons Line 3 already.
If Adam and Kassian show some good skills together in the future, I think this could potentailly be our top 6 barring trades (this is only people we have locked up)

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Adam-Kassian

Could be a strong top 6 in 2 years... if they develop

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:

This season's line 3? Ugh. Adam had a good (not great) preseason after a slow start, but showed he still had things to work on. Kassian after one good game was a complete non-factor. Combined with Ennis' struggles trying to do too much in many games already, and that line would get absolutely destroyed at the NHL level.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
This season's line 3? Ugh. Adam had a good (not great) preseason after a slow start, but showed he still had things to work on. Kassian after one good game was a complete non-factor. Combined with Ennis' struggles trying to do too much in many games already, and that line would get absolutely destroyed at the NHL level.
They couldn't do any worse jflory then the product I already see on the ice at line 3, or line 2 for that matter.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
They couldn't do any worse jflory then the product I already see on the ice at line 3, or line 2 for that matter.
They certainly could. In fact, ever since Adam's interference penalty in the first period tonight, they have

Old
10-26-2010, 08:39 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
They certainly could. In fact, ever since Adam's interference penalty in the first period tonight, they have
What, exactly, has Ennis done wrong, other than the interference penalty, which was off camera so most of us couldn't see?

It's not like he's letting guys walk out front. He hasn't turned the puck over. He's played good defense on the puck and off it when I've watched.

How, exactly, is he hurting out team right now?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
What, exactly, has Ennis done wrong, other than the interference penalty, which was off camera so most of us couldn't see?

It's not like he's letting guys walk out front. He hasn't turned the puck over. He's played good defense on the puck and off it when I've watched.

How, exactly, is he hurting out team right now?
Adam got the penalty, not Ennis.

But that entire line has been completely hemmed their zone on just about every shift since that point. Including that last shift where Miller came up with a couple big saves on Mezaros.

Sometimes it's not about the obvious mistakes. They just haven't been able to win the puck in their own end to start any kind of offense the other way. They've been overmatched.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Adam got the penalty, not Ennis.

But that entire line has been completely hemmed their zone on just about every shift since that point. Including that last shift where Miller came up with a couple big saves on Mezaros.

Sometimes it's not about the obvious mistakes. They just haven't been able to win the puck in their own end to start any kind of offense the other way. They've been overmatched.
Yea, that was a typo. That still doesn't fall on Adam. It's not like the line was any good with Nieds there...

I've liked Luke's game today. He uses his frame well and isn't afraid to shoot or to get to the middle of the ice.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Yea, that was a typo. That still doesn't fall on Adam. It's not like the line was any good with Nieds there...

I've liked Luke's game today. He uses his frame well and isn't afraid to shoot or to get to the middle of the ice.
I liked his game for about 12 minutes. Since then he's looked like what he is - a rookie in his first professional season. And last I checked, Niedermayers line did pot a couple against NJ Saturday night.

No one's arguing against his offensive abilities and awareness, but the line has to get the puck into the offensive zone for it to be used, and right now his play in other areas is not good enough.

Old
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
static80

I wouldn't exactly use NJ as a measuring stick for the Nieds line.
I would use this teams current record combined with the product I actually see, game in and game out, on the ice.

Ennis, Adam and Kassian can do no worse than this team is doing now. Period, end of story.
Losses are losses, and with Nieds and Grier, we have alot of losses.

Like I said, Ennis, Adam and Kassian can do no worse than what the product on the ice is doing now.

Old
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly use NJ as a measuring stick for the Nieds line.
I would use this teams current record combined with the product I actually see, game in and game out, on the ice.

Ennis, Adam and Kassian can do no worse than this team is doing now. Period, end of story.
Losses are losses, and with Nieds and Grier, we have alot of losses.

Like I said, Ennis, Adam and Kassian can do no worse than what the product on the ice is doing now.
Yes. They can. You can always be worse.

"They can't be any worse" is a terrible basis for an arguement.

Old
10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Yes. They can. You can always be worse.

"They can't be any worse" is a terrible basis for an arguement.
well he wants to fire darcy but then at the same time put his draft picks in a position to succeed.

no offense man but its just strange to me.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote