HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Finally, some love for Powe

Old
10-25-2010, 05:19 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Finally, some love for Powe

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ards_line.html

From Seravelli
Quote:
COLUMBUS - Since arriving last December, Peter Laviolette has clamored for accountability, effort, discipline - and, most of all, consistency.

Darroll Powe may just be his model hockey player.

Powe, one of the Flyers' most noticeable players through the first seven games, was rewarded with a game on the first line on Saturday night. Laviolette bumped Powe - usually reserved for the checking line - up to play with Mike Richards and Claude Giroux.

The line clicked. Richards posted his first goal of the season and picked up two assists, pacing the Flyers to a 5-2 victory over Toronto, one of the hottest teams in the Eastern Conference. But Powe was the man behind the scenes.

Powe, 25, is a rarity in today's NHL. And it's not his Ivy League degree in sociology from Princeton that sets him apart.

Powe is undersized (at 5-11) for a grind-line winger. He was undrafted out of college. But he caught the eye of former Flyers coach John Stevens, who helped mold him into the role he fills today.

Sometimes when a coach like Stevens is fired, players like Powe lose their jobs, too.

Instead, Laviolette has found him to be an integral cog among the Flyers' working parts. Powe has carved out a nice living for himself with the Flyers.

"He's one of those players that can play all three positions on all four lines," Laviolette said. "He can play on any line and bring his strengths to that line. He's able to get in on the forecheck and separate pucks from people. He can be a presence in front of the net.

"He's a powerful guy. He's one of those energy guys that seems to play hard every night. But for me, since I've been here, he's been a pretty consistent player."

For the Flyers to take a different path to the postseason - read: not relying on Brian Boucher to stuff the Rangers' Olli Jokinen on the last attempt of a shootout on the final day of the regular season - they will need to be more consistent.

General manager Paul Holmgren - who already had a stacked roster - found a way to keep Powe, an unrestricted free agent this summer, in the mix. Powe never forgets to pack his blue-collar style in his equipment bag.

"I try and follow the same routine every day," Powe said. "There are always days when you're not feeling good, but you need to just go through the same thing and make sure that you're ready at the drop of the puck. I try and give my best effort every night."

Powe, who played a season-high 14:29 on Saturday, has skated more this season because of his job on the penalty kill. Powe saw more ice time Saturday than James van Riemsdyk and Nikolay Zherdev - but he would see even more if he could chip in offensively, too.

"I'd like to contribute a little bit more that way," Powe said. "I've carved myself an identity as a penalty killer and as a role player, but there's some things that I can continue to work on on the offensive side of the puck, things that I want to improve on."

Perhaps because Saturday's game was a premiere "Hockey Night in Canada" matchup, Richards said he could feel a different intensity level in the locker room.

"We were ready for the game," Richards said. "Losing two or three in a row doesn't hurt, either. I think you could feel the energy before the game in our locker room, that everyone just had a sense that everyone was ready. I think we played with a sense of desperation."

For the second game in a row, the Flyers posted 40 or more shots on net. They also had 68 attempts (40 shots, 13 blocked and 15 missed) at Jean-Sebastian Giguere. They threw 89 (42 shots, 28 blocked and 19 missed) at Anaheim's Curtis McElhinney last Thursday.

"When we're getting 80-90 attempts at the net, we know we're playing our style of hockey," Powe said. "There are still things we need to clean up in our game, but overall, we're heading in the right direction."

Powe said he has noticed a different level of intensity for regular-season games than last year.

"There's definitely a little bit of a different feel," Powe said. "We've got a specific goal in mind - and that's to win the Stanley Cup. We're really motivated. Every game this year, we're approaching like a must-win. We snuck in on a shootout last year. We know the importance of every game. Just because it's October or November and not March or April, we still know the importance of every game."

We'll see if that consistency - evident in the two previous games, even if one of them was a loss - can stick when the Flyers begin a stretch of five games in 8 nights tonight against the Blue Jackets.

"Regardless, whether you've got time off, whether you have four games in 6 nights or whether you've got back-to-back games, it doesn't matter," Laviolette said. "You need to play a certain brand of hockey. That's the target."

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
lancer247

10 games from now when powe hasn't scored a goal and has butchered set ups from Richards and Giroux let's see what people think.

Pretty good defensive line.

I guess if Klatt can bang home 20 Powe can get 10.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Nice article except for the fact they had his free agency status incorrect. I've always liked and still do like Powe. Points aren't what matters for him. There are nights it feels like he and Betts are the only forwards that want to win.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Powe is easily my favourite player on the flyers. He reminds me so much of lappy on the team it's uncanny. POWE POWE!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Powe is easily my favourite player on the flyers. He reminds me so much of lappy on the team it's uncanny. POWE POWE!
But, of course, he goes and blows it with a really stupid penalty late after they finally woke up...

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
But, of course, he goes and blows it with a really stupid penalty late after they finally woke up...
He had a right in my opinion after they called that nonsense "Interference" on him much earlier.

That entire game was one giant facepalm of blind officiating and the futility of run and gun.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya, they sure clicked in tonights game

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He had a right in my opinion after they called that nonsense "Interference" on him much earlier.

That entire game was one giant facepalm of blind officiating and the futility of run and gun.
As soon as Briere scored, I thought, well, they have a chance to tie as long as someone doesn't take a dumb pe... D'Oh!

Not ragging on Powe more than necessary, but you can't do stuff like that, regardless of what happened before.

Old
10-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Please, thats not why we lost that game. There was one bad call (1st one against Powe) for sure and maybe one missed call.

We lost it because we only played 10 minutes of that game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:37 AM
GarretWillhelmThe3rd

i personally like powe, i like what he brings to the table and for a smaller grinder he can hit. i dont like the penalty last night at a turning point in the game but if the team showed up in the first two and a half periods we may have not been in that situation.

GarretWillhelmThe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Please, thats not why we lost that game. There was one bad call (1st one against Powe) for sure and maybe one missed call.

Totally agree

Old
10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretWillhelmThe3rd View Post
i personally like powe, i like what he brings to the table and for a smaller grinder he can hit. i dont like the penalty last night at a turning point in the game but if the team showed up in the first two and a half periods we may have not been in that situation.
I love Powe, just not that play....

Old
10-26-2010, 10:47 AM
GarretWillhelmThe3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I love Powe, just not that play....
Thats how i feel, Powe shows so much heart and i love that. My cousin started the article and he has always been a Powe fan and now finally Powe has received a chance to get more ice time, he looked strong last night up until that play.

GarretWillhelmThe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

No, we lost that game because we couldn't win battles or sustain offensive pressure.

There's a HUGE difference. We came out skating hard and playing the puck.

Even so, we ran into the same issue of losing battles for pucks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Written in the NHL recap of last nights game

Quote:
The Flyers (4-4-1), who drew the ire of coach Peter Laviolette following a lackluster 2-1 loss at Columbus on Monday, broke open a 1-1 game with second-period goals by Nikolay Zherdev, Darroll Power and Claude Giroux. They also dominated physically, outhitting the Sabres 24-12.
I like it

Old
10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
chaosof99*

How did this thread exist for so long without this?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
No, we lost that game because we couldn't win battles or sustain offensive pressure.

There's a HUGE difference. We came out skating hard and playing the puck.

Even so, we ran into the same issue of losing battles for pucks.
offensive pressure? Seriously, I do not know what game you were watching. Team looked disinterested for about 50min, even Timonen admited yesterday before the game against Sabres.

wtf.. what offensive pressure? That was not the main problem.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-27-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Nice article except for the fact they had his free agency status incorrect. I've always liked and still do like Powe. Points aren't what matters for him. There are nights it feels like he and Betts are the only forwards that want to win.
He sacrifices on his shift for the betterment of the team. He is a great grit forward who personally every team needs. I enjoy his game just like Betts.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I've always liked Powe. Four years at Princeton and works his dick off on the ice. Don't really like him on the first line, but we'll see how long that lasts...

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I've always liked Powe. Four years at Princeton and works his dick off on the ice. Don't really like him on the first line, but we'll see how long that lasts...
Him and G seem to be doing quite well together. Even hands of stone Powe can score with G. Maybe it's just giroux can make anyone score

Old
10-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Him and G seem to be doing quite well together. Even hands of stone Powe can score with G. Maybe it's just giroux can make anyone score
Except Nodsie.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:09 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Except Nodsie.
Even he scored last night though, no?

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I like Powe, but he had a boatload of brain farts last night in terms of where to position himself on offense and quick breakouts.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Even he scored last night though, no?
Yes, but he had a lot of net to shoot at.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Yes, but he had a lot of net to shoot at.

Still, I think his work with Shootsie has been paying off.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote