HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Theoretical Goaltender Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2010, 01:17 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Theoretical Goaltender Talk

Any ideas? I'd imagine we might have a shot at Quick or Schneider out west... Thomas is too expensive. Who else?

Old
10-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Any ideas? I'd imagine we might have a shot at Quick or Schneider out west... Thomas is too expensive. Who else?
Depends on how much faith we have in our goalie prospects like Tokarski, would we opt for a short term solution, a 30+ goalie or would we prefer a younger goalie for the future?

I don't know who it would be, to claim a better goalie involves of course a sacrify but on the other hand those who doesn't are probably not that much better than Ellis.

10-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Slevesque

Ok MTL Fan here interested in this subject for SIM league reasons.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try out one of your two goalies who seem to be doing extremely well in the AHL ?

If this seems like the more probable option, would the balance tilt towards Desjardins since he has past experience with Boucher as a coach and with his system ? (with which he was very successful last season in Hamilton)

Or should Tokarski be given the nod since he is the best young goaltender Tampa seems to have in their pipeline ?

Old
10-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevesque View Post
Ok MTL Fan here interested in this subject for SIM league reasons.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try out one of your two goalies who seem to be doing extremely well in the AHL ?

If this seems like the more probable option, would the balance tilt towards Desjardins since he has past experience with Boucher as a coach and with his system ? (with which he was very successful last season in Hamilton)

Or should Tokarski be given the nod since he is the best young goaltender Tampa seems to have in their pipeline ?
I would prefer that yes, rather that tossing away players for a goalie that might do well..better to give those in the organization a shot first.

Old
10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
LightningStrikes

There are not a lot free agent goalies left and they're not exactly what I'd call an improvement over Smith:

Ray Emery (still in rehab, comeback doubtful)
Vesa Toskala
Manny Legace
Wade Dubielewicz

So it's either Desjardins (or Tokarski, although I think Desjardins has a higher chance to get called up) or via trade.

Old
10-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Ladislav Scurko

Everybody seems to forget http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11876

Old
10-28-2010, 06:16 AM
lightningfanqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladislav Scurko View Post
he's in the East Coast league...so he's the number 5 on the list. We also have this guy in Russia, maybe next year, he could come to NA http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12247.

Old
10-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Staalguy

I would stay with the goalies we got right now.....most of the good team in the NHL last year and the start of this year have had 1 ok goalie(Niemi,howard, quick, boucher)......We would all like to improve but it shows that we can still be successful without a true #1

Also (for the most part), our goalies can hold their ground in net

Old
10-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Just to throw a name out there. Erik Ersberg just got waived (again) like a week ago so he could go to the KHL. (Which he's now done)

He wouldn't be an upgrade on either, I would think. He'd also cause massive confusion with the other EE in our lives.

Tokarski or Desjardins probably deserve a chance, and are the lowest risk. (i.e., not taking on any contracts, or losing assets)

How about we keep our current duo, but change goalies 5 minutes into every game? GAA tends to hit rock bottom at that point.

There is another alternative, and that's buttoning down defensively so we don't give good chances to the other team.

Old
10-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Tampa22

After the good game by Ellis yesterday I don't think we will see changes soon, maybe when the West trip ends they can look to some solutions. I would like to see Tokarski or Desjardins starting some games to see if they can carry this team and if they can't, work in a trade and bring a number one goalie here.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa22 View Post
After the good game by Ellis yesterday I don't think we will see changes soon, maybe when the West trip ends they can look to some solutions. I would like to see Tokarski or Desjardins starting some games to see if they can carry this team and if they can't, work in a trade and bring a number one goalie here.
Anyone you have in mind?

Since I'm in the camp that Smitty is just not clutch, I'm inclined to think that Ellis should be our starter, with Smith coming in to relieve him when he starts to play bad. Less pressure on him in those situations.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old
10-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Anyone in mind?

Since I'm in the camp that Smitty is just not clutch, I'm inclined to think that Ellis should be our starter, with Smith coming in to relieve him when he starts to play bad. Less pressure on him in those situations.
I'm with Python. Smith earned his backup spot. He may be winning games, but he just doesn't scream "competent" any longer. Start Ellis, Smith the occasional start and relief. Find a true #1 before the holiday trade deadline. That's my wish!

Old
10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I'm with Python. Smith earned his backup spot. He may be winning games, but he just doesn't scream "competent" any longer. Start Ellis, Smith the occasional start and relief. Find a true #1 before the holiday trade deadline. That's my wish!
Before the holiday deadline is going to be the trouble spot. Every team measures their success by the same metrics. Christmas being one of the major tent-poles of the season.

It probably won't be until after that point that we'd be able to find a more functional #1 goalie for a reasonable price. (but with SFY, you never know)

There's a poll up on TSN right now: When should Vancouver trade Cory Schneider? Currently 37% say "deadline or before", 13% say "off-season" and the remaining 50% say "never".

The problem for us, is that he's only 24, and hasn't established himself as a starter, which puts him in a closer situation to D-Tok than anything.

And with Rask's early falterings, it's made Tim Thomas, and every other goalie, that much more valuable.

Martin Gerber would be cheap to bring in right now. Besides him, Mathieu Garon (who also may have a clutch issue, but less severe than Smitty) and Peter Budaj are more expensive possibilities, but I'm not sure any of them are a significant enough upgrade to spend assets on.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Well we've all mentioned it before, I imagine the extent of goaltender movement this year will be Desjardins coming here from Norfolk. Tokarski has been fairly good this year put looks like he needs to brush up a tad more positionally before he comes here.

I wonder what happens with Vasiliy this coming offseason.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Tampa22

Quote:
Anyone you have in mind?
Like I said before I want to see if Tokarski or Desjardins can get a real chance to show what they can bring to the Lightning first. Then we could talk about who can coming, is hard to find a number one at this time but there a lot of names who can coming here and show if can be a true number one for the Lightning, one of the Bruins goalies is an option, I don't know about the cap problems. I like Dwayne Roloson a lot, he's a veteran I know, but is a cheap option to help this team right now. There are not magic solutions and I guess that we need to wait the trade deadline.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa22 View Post
Like I said before I want to see if Tokarski or Desjardins can get a real chance to show what they can bring to the Lightning first. Then we could talk about who can coming, is hard to find a number one at this time but there a lot of names who can coming here and show if can be a true number one for the Lightning, one of the Bruins goalies is an option, I don't know about the cap problems. I like Dwayne Roloson a lot, he's a veteran I know, but is a cheap option to help this team right now. There are not magic solutions and I guess that we need to wait the trade deadline.
Actually thats a great one. Roloson can give us short term average to above average goaltending, and CHEAP. Don't know if the Isles would want to move him but that would be a great setup, Roloson and Ellis.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Before the holiday deadline is going to be the trouble spot. Every team measures their success by the same metrics. Christmas being one of the major tent-poles of the season.

It probably won't be until after that point that we'd be able to find a more functional #1 goalie for a reasonable price. (but with SFY, you never know)

There's a poll up on TSN right now: When should Vancouver trade Cory Schneider? Currently 37% say "deadline or before", 13% say "off-season" and the remaining 50% say "never".

The problem for us, is that he's only 24, and hasn't established himself as a starter, which puts him in a closer situation to D-Tok than anything.

And with Rask's early falterings, it's made Tim Thomas, and every other goalie, that much more valuable.

Martin Gerber would be cheap to bring in right now. Besides him, Mathieu Garon (who also may have a clutch issue, but less severe than Smitty) and Peter Budaj are more expensive possibilities, but I'm not sure any of them are a significant enough upgrade to spend assets on.
Garon looks more confident in net than Mason in Columbus. Maybe it's because he's not under the pressure Mason's getting but he's very calm and self-aware - both attributes that don't relate to Smith.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Actually thats a great one. Roloson can give us short term average to above average goaltending, and CHEAP. Don't know if the Isles would want to move him but that would be a great setup, Roloson and Ellis.
If I were Garth Snow, I'd be very cautious of trading Roloson. Rick DiPietro is way too injury prone to just let him go.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
IdealisticSniper

Anybody else wishing we had picked up Thomas somehow now? The man is on Vezina pace again and looks possessed. Completely winning games by himself again.

Sure hes older and on a hefty contract for a few more years, but for a few more years is what Tik probably needs (unless he accelerates his development by a good bit). Thomas on this team makes them a great team IMO.

Oh well too late now.

I would also love to get Quick (or Bernier but I think Bernier is the Kings guy going forward). Quick would be a huge upgrade in goal but not sure if LA really needs anything we would be willing to give up.

Sadly, I think one of our goalies needs to step up and run with the job or we will just be winning games like the penguins back in the early 90's. All firepower.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 112
I dont think there will be any change in the goalie situation b4 Xmas . Maybe Yzerman could make a move but i believe it will be after the Holidays . Smith didnt have best games so far and if that doesnt change they may think of giving a chance to Ellis, to take the pole , b4 doing anything.

Now will it be a trade or an UFA, idk . It could aslo be with Desjardins , but with him i wouldnt bring him under fire too quickly . Let's say that Smith doesnt play better Hockey , maybe in a near future we could see Ellis as number 1 and Desjardins as a backup.

The only thing i'm sure is that the lightning have a weaknees in goal and they must adress the situation in the future .

Old
10-28-2010, 12:19 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

I could see us either getting a rental for the season or like Frenchy said, having Ellis/Desjardins, which I would be pleased with.

What would we do with Smith though? He's a UFA after this season.

Old
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I'd be all for going after a goalie in the trade market, but only after giving Desjardins a chance. He seems like one of those goalies that doesn't have much else to prove in the AHL level, and is ALMOST ready to jump in the NHL. Kind of like Neuvirth.

I still wish we could have landed Nabokov. Imagine what a goalie like him would do for us right now.

Old
10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I say, Tokarski will be our #1 goaltender in a pair of years (or at least that's what we expect) so... SFY should go after Thomas, it will be just for 1 or 2 years, I think we can steal him (Smith going the other way) and when he's on his game he's top-3 goalie in the league.

Old
10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
TBFan

As much as I want to see a true #1 goaltender, I really don't think they will make a move to get one anytime soon.

Play Smith and Ellis and hope they can score a boatload of goals every night to overcome the goaltender shortcomings.

Old
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
ellis looked fantastic last night and at the risk of making a serious post here which i dont ever do, why have most of you given up on him?

our style of play is vaguely reminiscent of the days of torterella, and even khabi was benched in that regime for john grahame.

our defense has never been better, but until someone gives hedman some IKEA type instructions on how to play this system, or really NHL hockey at all, and we can get at least one more defensive talent, our goalies are gonna be left out to dry a lot.

smith was horrible last night, that has been well established. but SH goal #2 was all the defenseman's fault. specifically hedman.

honestly, trade deadline acquisition of a mid to top tier d-man (the likes of hamhuis((man i had hoped we could have gotten him this offseason))) and promoting desjardin (whilst sending smith to norfolk or hell the everblades) would put us in a very comfortable position, imo

Closed Thread