HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter trade rumors heating up

Old
10-28-2010, 08:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Not sure if serious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
that is a terrible proposal. beyond terrible
How soon we forget.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How soon we forget.
how soon we forget what?

are you being sarcastic?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
TO TOR :
Jeff Carter (great center)
Garrett Klotz (bad-decent prospect)

TO PHI :
Mikhail Grabovski (decent center)
Fredrik Sjostrom (fast skater, great PK)
Juraj Mikus (good dman prospect)
3rd Round Pick (2011)
5th Round Pick (2011)
wow that's a whole lot of poo for Jeff Carter

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're both wrong.

Carter has scored 160 NHL goals in 431 NHL games for 0.37 GPG or 30.44 goals over an 82 game season.

We should trade him. 30 goals a year is not going to cut it. Why even bother?
Ollie Jokinen has scored 30 goals a couple years. How many times had he had his name on the Cup?

I think Carter has value and can be a good player in the NHL, but because he scored 40 one year we should not look at that as the benchmark, think more like 30-35 and a 60pt/yr player. Also look and see how he helps the team as a whole, does he make the players around him better? What could you get in return to help this club move forward?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Not sure if serious...
Quote:
that is a terrible proposal. beyond terrible
Quote:
how soon we forget what?

are you being sarcastic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
wow that's a whole lot of poo for Jeff Carter
WHOOOOOOOOOSH

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
WHOOOOOOOOOSH
I knew some one would get it.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
It's shocking how many people didn't.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It's shocking how many people didn't.
Yeah I was kind of hoping those who did get it would let the others keep going and thinking I was a crazy Leafs fan.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Yeah I was kind of hoping those who did get it would let the others keep going and thinking I was a crazy Leafs fan.
I think you need to throw in another bad-decent prospect for that to happen.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Funny you mention of all people to compare with Carter (not directly) Jumbo Joe the Choker in a thread where most people's concerns about Carter's play has been his distinct inability to come up in games where he's had the game quite literally on his stick.

That's something you can't prove with stats which it seems like a lot of people are taking to heart with him. I think people for the most part realize his skill set and he'll typically when healthy pot his fair amount of stats in a season which will make the stat crunchers happy, but that never has and never will tell the whole story when it comes to the game of hockey, Baseball - perhaps, but hockey is a different beast when judging stats in a free flowing game IMO.
Also take into account that a lot of Carters point fluffing is not a point per game, it is like the other night where he score 50% of his point total in one game. Also, what games are these, blowouts or close games?

Old
10-28-2010, 10:11 AM
rban*

I'm just baffled, even flabber-gasted, that considering our goaltending problem .... people here still discuss other forwards they can get after moving Carter.

Philly needs goaltending ... if Carter is moved, I for one can see no justification for discussing anything other than how to secure a good netminder.

Doesn't have to be a one for one trade either... can trade Carter for someone, then dump that person or send him to minors, and use the capspace to hunt for a netminder.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
rban*

The person I always use as a reference is RAY SHEPPHERD. In the early 90s he scored 40-50 goals a year for Detroit, yet Detroit cr(pped the bed in the POs every time.

Wasnt till they traded him that WIngs started winning Cups. Everyone thought WIngs were crazy at the time.... who on earth gets rid of a 40-50 goal winger???

Turns out Ray's career nose-dived after the trade, while Wings did something they didnt do for decades: win Cups.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:21 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
The person I always use as a reference is RAY SHEPPHERD. In the early 90s he scored 40-50 goals a year for Detroit, yet Detroit cr(pped the bed in the POs every time.

Wasnt till they traded him that WIngs started winning Cups. Everyone thought WIngs were crazy at the time.... who on earth gets rid of a 40-50 goal winger???

Turns out Ray's career nose-dived after the trade, while Wings did something they didnt do for decades: win Cups.
How insightful. I mean, for every instance where a team trades their best goal scorer and wins a cup, I think I can show you 30 instances where a team trades their best goalscorer and wins nothing.

The case of Ray Sheppard has nothing to do with the Philadelphia Flyers of 2010-2011.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:22 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Also take into account that a lot of Carters point fluffing is not a point per game, it is like the other night where he score 50% of his point total in one game. Also, what games are these, blowouts or close games?
That's how seasons work, which is why you can't take a 9 game sample and expand it to say this is what he will do. Carter is a streaky player, but I still love the accusation that he doesn't make his linemates better, with nobody actually being able to prove it. Yet people say "oh well Claude Giroux is better he makes his linemates better" when there isn't a player on this roster who has clearly benefitted from playing with him.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That's how seasons work, which is why you can't take a 9 game sample and expand it to say this is what he will do. Carter is a streaky player, but I still love the accusation that he doesn't make his linemates better, with nobody actually being able to prove it. Yet people say "oh well Claude Giroux is better he makes his linemates better" when there isn't a player on this roster who has clearly benefitted from playing with him.
Carter is a N-S player who cannot slow the play down, he gets his assists on the secondary assists such as the other night or by shooting the puck and actually hitting the net and getting a fwd who can follow up on the rebounds. Carters idea of an offense zone cycle.....rush up the wing with the puck, take a bad angle shot, watch the puck swing around the boards and an odd-man rush going the other way.

Giroux is a player who looks to set up the other players on the ice and slow the play down and creates space by his ability to pass the puck. He creates lanes because he finds the soft spots in the zone, looks to get the puck deep, and set up the offense.

He gets the puck to places where his teammates can score(see pass to Nodl), whereas Carter relies on his ability to shoot and get bounces to create scoring chances. Passing can be a detriment as well, because a passer can look too often to pass and not shoot. This would also be solved if Carter had a one-timer and could play the wing, thus complementing two-wtyle of play on one line.

It is pretty simple actually.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Kaktus*

Why is Carter compared to Giroux? Giroux is a playmaker and a passer.

Both players are very different. Why compare them?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Carter is a N-S player who cannot slow the play down, he gets his assists on the secondary assists such as the other night or by shooting the puck and actually hitting the net and getting a fwd who can follow up on the rebounds. Carters idea of an offense zone cycle.....rush up the wing with the puck, take a bad angle shot, watch the puck swing around the boards and an odd-man rush going the other way.

Giroux is a player who looks to set up the other players on the ice and slow the play down and creates space by his ability to pass the puck. He creates lanes because he finds the soft spots in the zone, looks to get the puck deep, and set up the offense.

He gets the puck to places where his teammates can score(see pass to Nodl), whereas Carter relies on his ability to shoot and get bounces to create scoring chances. Passing can be a detriment as well, because a passer can look too often to pass and not shoot. This would also be solved if Carter had a one-timer and could play the wing, thus complementing two-wtyle of play on one line.

It is pretty simple actually.
You leave out that Giroux 'creating space' and 'slowing the play down' is very much the old style of hockey that isn't as effective as it used to be. Slowing the play down in the new NHL also allows the defense to get back in position and allows the other teams forwards to get back and aid on D.

Carter does 2 things better then anyone else on the team. He isn't afraid to shoot because
- 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in
- he has an awesome shot

Now, Carter is also the fastest skater on the team. While is sure doesn't look like it, he is always near the top in our team conditioning tests and routinely in the fastest skater competition. I believe his size makes him appear slower then he actually is, when you are at ice level, you realize just how much he flys.

I personally love having a Richards, Carter, and Giroux line because they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they each do different things extremely well, with Carter's line being a line that utilizes the rush and rebounds, Giroux's line working on passing and one-timers, and Richards line focused on defense and good passing.

I want to keep these 3 players at all costs and have them all at Center. That might just be me though.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Why is Carter compared to Giroux? Giroux is a playmaker and a passer.

Both players are very different. Why compare them?
The argument is that it's one or the other this offseason.

My argument is keep both and send Hartnell to LA for whatever you can get.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
IceHot

I agree we might still need a goalie for at least 2 years,
so how about David Booth and Vokoun from Florida for
Carter and Boucher or Backlund
*runs and hides*

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The argument is that it's one or the other this offseason.

My argument is keep both and send Hartnell to LA for whatever you can get.
Thats not even an argument. Thats what should be done. That or moving someone else but keeping Carter and Giroux.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
I was a little stunned no one did at first considering that thread was stickied and we berated him for a good while. Somehow, Cartsiphan almost came up with an equally head-scratching proposal.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I was a little stunned no one did at first considering that thread was stickied and we berated him for a good while. Somehow, Cartsiphan almost came up with an equally head-scratching proposal.
Yeah I was actually surprised no one posted that earlier. I figured I'd do it, get some laughs, and move on. At least some people appreciated it.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
NEEDS MORE INTANGIBLES. and unless we get skeletor back, im not interested.

To TOR: Carter, Bobrovsky

To PHI:

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
NEEDS MORE INTANGIBLES. and unless we get skeletor back, im not interested.

To TOR: Carter, Bobrovsky

To PHI:
Who's Skeletor? That was always my nickname for referee Terry Gregson.

"He-Man lives and possesses that key. I must possess all, or I possess nothing."

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
from the looks of him, skeletor appears to be just another washed up goon who can barely skate, yet homer would overpay.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote